Shark River

Shark River (Doc Ford Mystery #8)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  1,089 ratings  ·  52 reviews
What starts out as a normal Florida Keys work-vacation for marine biologist Doc Ford quickly turns into a hurricane of kidnapping, revenge-even murder. And while he can't see through the tropical storm, pieces of his past begin to appear.
A real winner here...More, please. (Washington Times )
White's most satisfying to date. (Sarasota Herald-Tribune)
Published June 4th 2002 by Berkley Books (first published January 1st 2001)

Bob
Doc Ford is a Marine Biologist working/vacationing on Guava Key. He has been noticing to women pass his house every day regular as clock work and today the same. He takes off on his daily run when he see the women at their usual stopping place at the end of a pier where they stop to watch the sunset. Today though there is something added, two large men are approaching them and when one shows a gun, Doc takes action and hits him from behind, knocking him into the railing then when he sees a third...more
Scott Rachui
I discovered Randy Wayne White in the late 90s and fell in love with his books. Having visited Florida many times on business, and having been infected with a deep love for the state and its many palm trees, beaches, inlets, natural springs and abundant fishing, I have tried to find every author of Florida fiction I can. Randy Wayne White is perhaps the best I've read (he has been compared to the late John D. MacDonald, in fact).

White has a wide range of interesting and quirky characters, and hi...more
Vickie
I love the Doc Ford books that feature a whole buncha Tomlinson. I loves me some Tomlinson. He and Doc Ford work well together. And I've been listening to these completely out of order, so I've watched all the relationship growth all out of order and it's been kinda cool.
This one shows Tomlinson having problems with 'Zamboni and the hat trick twins'....and he's been having dreams about his past, things are starting to surface. And he thinks that's why he's having his problems.
A woman comes into...more
Chris
I've really been enjoying this series, although it's been difficult to find copies of the books in order so I've ended up skipping around a bit.

Doc Ford is a marine biologist and also a former secret ops agent. These books are filled with marine biology and history of Florida facts. Doc is a very logical, cool headed character, who generally lives a quiet life. In this story he prevents a kidnapping and ends becomes a target as a result. We are introduced to a new character and the truth behind...more
Jrobertus
In this thriller, Doc Ford is a marine biologist with a black past. He was an off the books, outside the law, super duper trained government killer charged with keeping America safe by any means necessary. Get it pilgrim? The writing is good, and the characters pretty well developed,especially his Bahamian half cousine Ransome, and his pal Thomlinson. However, the pace of the book is too slow with way too much internal narrative, too much psychology, and too much description of his temporary gir...more
Jenny
This was a good beach book, especially if the beach is Ft. Myers Florida. This whole series is set there. It's a quick read. If you fall asleep in the middle of a chapter, you won't miss anything. I don't care one way or another if I read any more in the series, but it was captivating enought that I wanted to finish it and find out "who done it." The protagonist is a biologist that is living off the grid in a shack on Sanibel Island. Also a great restaurant in Ft. Myers. I only know how to get t...more
Richard Katz
I enjoyed this book, I have a complicated relationship to White's books. Generally, I like them a lot, much for their south Florida setting and for Tomlinson - protagonist Doc Ford's mystico-zany sidekick. Shark River introduces Ford to a Bahamian sister who is a really endearing character and the somewhat incredible plots are more than well compensated for by the Florida settings and the zany and somehow easy-to-imagine characters.
Marc
Aug 17, 2007 Marc rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jacklopes
This is the first off the Doc Ford novels I have read. It's a fun read, and even got my dad to read it.

It's a who dood it, with the story told from different POVs that mesh in the end. RWW is a pretty good story teller, and his characters are really full.

I think the great keester head of New Hamster would like these reads, as there's enough of a parrthead in him that he'd find the stiry telling cool.
Linda Crouse
Donna Fowler
I am an avid reader. I rarely have less than 3 books going at the same time but with Randy wayne White's Doc Ford books I have to read them without interuption and even when I can pry myself away from the book to get some sleep his writing will follow me into my dreams. I cannot praise his writing and his character of Doc Ford too much. They are alll keepers.
Chris
I've been reading RWW for YEARS! I grew up in the southwest Fla area that he writes about, actually met the author when I was in high school, have eaten at Doc Ford's...besides being a consummate storyteller, I enjoy his Doc Ford novels because it reminds me of the area in which I grew up in, many hours spent on Sanibel/Captiva as a boy.
Jimmy Henderson
What a great story teller...I am now reading all the books in the series. Very fun to read, brings out everything I love about SW Florida.

This is the best of the bunch that I've read so far. If you can't lose yourself in the islands with this story, then you just can't stand the salty air!
Joyce
This was a re-read...and well worth spending the time with it. Doc and Tomlinson while deeply involved with the present time and events, delve into their past histories. It is complex and fascinating coupled with some great action scenes.
Mary Newcomb
Doc Ford becomes involved in an attempted kidnapping, meets his “sister” and hunts for treasure left by his uncle. Along the way, we learn some more about his murky background and seemingly limitless specialized skills.
Carol Nasby
Chris and I are reading some Florida authors these days, and like White for his surprise factor, and his sense of humor. He has a very funny side kick in his Doc Ford mystrey series. And we love the sense of place in his books.
Melanie (aka Serial Reader)
I liked the book - fun, fast read. It builds on the relationship between Tomlinson and Ford and brings into the family, Ransom, Ford's cousin. That's a new complication, but I'm going to enjoy reading what comes next! 3 stars.
Phair
Doc Ford continues to be one of my favorite characters. Particularly like stories that bring in his covert past and that explore Doc's internal conflicts. Tomlinson is a delight as always. Please keep writing Randy!
Steve
Slow paced. I was surprised when I realized I was 80% done. Assumed I was closer to 30% based on the pace. Nice background of some of the characters and addition of one that will defiantly appear again.
Joanne
Am enjoying this new (to me) series - Doc Ford is a marine biologist in FL with a secret, special forces type of past. He has the requisite quirky side-kick. Good fun for light reading.
Joe
surprise....yet another great adventure with Doc Ford and friends. Enter Randsom, a sister he never knew he had....ok, ok, a cousin..............whatever...what a cool character....
Ann
Dan
I love it when White gets it right with his Doc Ford novels and he definitely does with this one. Many of Doc's secrest are finally exposed and great ction to boot.
Donald
This one was handed to me from someone else, figuring I would like it. And I did. I would like to say here that I didn't have Harrington figured out. Good read.
Barbara Kennedy
I loved Doc - I'm going to read more of these books. 'H-anging out' with Doc and Thomlinson is like being with old friends! Thanks John for the recommendation.
Kristy pawlik
Love the introduction of Doc Ford's sister from the Bahamas, very funny to read her dialect, my ears are fine tuned to the verbiage after living in the bahamas
Bobby B
Having recently become a Randy White fan, I'm working my way thru his published titles. They are all fun to read. A Florida Jack Reacher with a sidekick.
David Ward
Shark River by Randy Wayne White (G.P.Putnam's Sons)(fiction - mystery) is another one of the good Doc Ford mysteries. My rating: 6/10, finished 8/10/12.
Frank Wilem
I like the characters and setting in all of Randy's books. I hate that I lost all of my autographed copies during Hurricane Katrina.
Deb
I feel like I am there .... read this one out of order :( ... need to read them in order to get the character & plots straight
  • Key West Connection
  • The Mango Opera
  • Blackwater Sound (Thorn, #7)
  • Suitable for Framing (Britt Montero, #3)
  • The Hunting Wind (Alex McKnight, #3)
  • The Scarlet Ruse (Travis McGee #14)
  • Bahamarama
  • Cadillac Beach (Serge Storms, #6)
  • White Ginger
aka Carl Ramm, Randy Striker

Randy Wayne White (born 1950) is an American writer of crime fiction and non-fiction adventure tales. He has written best-selling novels and has received awards for his fiction and a television documentary. He is best known for his series of crime novels featuring the retired NSA agent Doc Ford, a marine biologist living on the Gulf Coast of southern Florida. White has...more
More about Randy Wayne White...
Sanibel Flats (Doc Ford, #1) Deep Shadow (Doc Ford, #17) Captiva The Heat Islands (Doc Ford, #2) Ten Thousand Islands