Start by marking “Shark River” as Want to Read:
Shark River

Shark River (Doc Ford Mystery #8)

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,658 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
What starts out as a normal Florida Keys work-vacation for marine biologist Doc Ford quickly turns into a hurricane of kidnapping, revenge-even murder. And while he can't see through the tropical storm, pieces of his past begin to appear.
A real winner here...More, please. (Washington Times )
White's most satisfying to date. (Sarasota Herald-Tribune)
Published June 4th 2002 by Berkley Books (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Shark River, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shark River

Jrobertus
In this thriller, Doc Ford is a marine biologist with a black past. He was an off the books, outside the law, super duper trained government killer charged with keeping America safe by any means necessary. Get it pilgrim? The writing is good, and the characters pretty well developed,especially his Bahamian half cousine Ransome, and his pal Thomlinson. However, the pace of the book is too slow with way too much internal narrative, too much psychology, and too much description of his temporary gir ...more
David Ward
Shark River (Doc Ford #8) by Randy Wayne White (G.P.Putnam's Sons 2001) (Fiction - Mystery) is another one of the good Doc Ford mysteries. In this one, Doc meets a Bahamian relative that he never knew he had. My rating: 6/10, finished 8/10/12.
Ed
Feb 07, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#8 in the Doc Ford series.

Doc Ford series - When Ford tags along with his perpetually stoned but intelligent pal Tomlinson to a posh island resort where the latter is leading a workshop on Rinzai Zen, the two get tangled up in murder, kidnapping, drugs, revenge and, for good measure, the sudden appearance of a mysterious Bahamian woman who claims Doc is her brother and seeks his help in discovering whether the "X" on her treasure map really marks the spot. Meanwhile, some very bad Colombians wan
Jim
This was Doc Ford no. 8. Someday I want to hang out at Randy Wayne White's place on Sanibel Island. Probably another joint like the myriad number of "Margaritavilles" that I have been to....remembering that it's always 5 o'clock somewhere. Doc Ford's Rum Bar and Grille on Sanibel Island does sound inviting. I like going these places that mimic that which they represent...yes, there is a Cheers in Boston...been there. Yes, there is a Rick's in Casablanca...been there.

This Doc Ford novel is fun...
Bob
Jun 17, 2010 Bob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Doc Ford is a Marine Biologist working/vacationing on Guava Key. He has been noticing to women pass his house every day regular as clock work and today the same. He takes off on his daily run when he see the women at their usual stopping place at the end of a pier where they stop to watch the sunset. Today though there is something added, two large men are approaching them and when one shows a gun, Doc takes action and hits him from behind, knocking him into the railing then when he sees a third ...more
Scott Rachui
May 31, 2013 Scott Rachui rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I discovered Randy Wayne White in the late 90s and fell in love with his books. Having visited Florida many times on business, and having been infected with a deep love for the state and its many palm trees, beaches, inlets, natural springs and abundant fishing, I have tried to find every author of Florida fiction I can. Randy Wayne White is perhaps the best I've read (he has been compared to the late John D. MacDonald, in fact).

White has a wide range of interesting and quirky characters, and hi
Vickie
Apr 09, 2010 Vickie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the Doc Ford books that feature a whole buncha Tomlinson. I loves me some Tomlinson. He and Doc Ford work well together. And I've been listening to these completely out of order, so I've watched all the relationship growth all out of order and it's been kinda cool.
This one shows Tomlinson having problems with 'Zamboni and the hat trick twins'....and he's been having dreams about his past, things are starting to surface. And he thinks that's why he's having his problems.
A woman comes into
Donna
Sep 10, 2015 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another very good Doc Ford novel-fast paced, with a lot of suspense. I enjoyed the further character development and background story for both Ford and Tomlinson, as well as the addition of Ransom, Ford's cousin. The descriptions of Sanibel and its nearby areas are wonderful, as always. Randy Wayne White novels are much more than just mystery novels-each one makes you want to read another to find out what Doc Ford and Tomlinson will encounter next.
Chris
May 30, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: florida-fiction
It took me a while, but I'm really enjoying the series now. Love the evocative description of life and nature on the Florida coast. I've seen people complain about the pace of these books, but I enjoy the character development and botany/biology/Florida history lessons as much as the plot and action. In my book, Ford could stay in and around Dinkins Bay and not get shot and and I'd still find it a great read.
Carolyn (in SC) C234D
This is one of my favorite series. I'm sorry I haven't read a Doc Ford novel in quite a while. The books are fast-paced, with some terrific characters. In this story, an interesting bit of Doc's background is revealed. I always enjoy the Florida island atmosphere of these books. Now I must find me some more in the series that I have not yet read.
Carol
This was number eight in the Doc Ford series. The setting is Florida. The story is a light mystery with edgy dialogue. Doc Ford is a marine biologist living in Dinkin's Bay. He prefers to keep a low profile but was soon in the middle of a kidnapping of a young woman..As the story evolves, we learn that Ford is much more than a marine biologist...good read..
Sue
Mar 13, 2016 Sue rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I didn't like this book as much as I enjoyed the author's other books. It was heavy on technical information, some sections were unbelievable even for the awesome Doc Ford, and seemed to go on forever. Disappointing!
Greg
Sep 19, 2015 Greg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shark River is one of my favorites in the Doc Ford series. This one starts off with a lot of action packed scenes. Then, you find out that Tucker did have a daughter, which she thinks Ford is her brother, not her cousin. A story of Tomlinson's past comes out during this story. I never imagined Tomlison as a someone who'd commit a crime, but after a brief moment, I remembered, a lot of the protesters of the 60's/70's ended up with some sort of a record. More of Doc's past is revealed and a connec ...more
Sharon Peterson
Feb 14, 2016 Sharon Peterson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now I need to read the books between 2 and 6 - this one was the only one in the library at Sunland Village! Time to go online on Hennepin County Library to borrow a few books! I sure like these Doc Ford books.
Pat
Nov 02, 2014 Pat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
Cousin appears, Tuck's daughter.
Meets a man from secret organization.
Clears Tomlinson from suspicion in Vietnam-era bombing.
Ford saves a young lady from being kidnapped.
Very good.
Chris
Dec 27, 2013 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've really been enjoying this series, although it's been difficult to find copies of the books in order so I've ended up skipping around a bit.

Doc Ford is a marine biologist and also a former secret ops agent. These books are filled with marine biology and history of Florida facts. Doc is a very logical, cool headed character, who generally lives a quiet life. In this story he prevents a kidnapping and ends becomes a target as a result. We are introduced to a new character and the truth behind
Terje Fokstuen
Feb 21, 2015 Terje Fokstuen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast paced exciting story wherein more of a Doc Ford's mysterious past is unraveled as he saves a young woman from kidnapping and death. Highly recommended.
Barry Lewis
Mar 14, 2015 Barry Lewis marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Great! A good Page turner, some dialog got slow but even it was informative about the region.
Jay Wright
A good book to read. Character development is White's forte. I recommend this book.
Kevin Beck
Another adventure with Doc Ford and crew. A good story with good characters.
Jenny
May 21, 2011 Jenny rated it liked it
This was a good beach book, especially if the beach is Ft. Myers Florida. This whole series is set there. It's a quick read. If you fall asleep in the middle of a chapter, you won't miss anything. I don't care one way or another if I read any more in the series, but it was captivating enought that I wanted to finish it and find out "who done it." The protagonist is a biologist that is living off the grid in a shack on Sanibel Island. Also a great restaurant in Ft. Myers. I only know how to get t ...more
J.D.
Jun 06, 2015 J.D. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I get so caught up in some of these book character's lives. I want to go out on a date with Tomlinson ;)
Carol Dieterichs
May 30, 2015 Carol Dieterichs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Florida, southwestern, mystery adventure.
Chris Leuchtenburg
Not for me.
Carl Nattrass
Shark River moves along in RWW's normal style, but there's nothing new here. Its not that there is anything actually wrong with the story, it just does not contain anything particularly exciting. Sorry Randy.
Richard Katz
I enjoyed this book, I have a complicated relationship to White's books. Generally, I like them a lot, much for their south Florida setting and for Tomlinson - protagonist Doc Ford's mystico-zany sidekick. Shark River introduces Ford to a Bahamian sister who is a really endearing character and the somewhat incredible plots are more than well compensated for by the Florida settings and the zany and somehow easy-to-imagine characters.
Marc
Aug 17, 2007 Marc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jacklopes
This is the first off the Doc Ford novels I have read. It's a fun read, and even got my dad to read it.

It's a who dood it, with the story told from different POVs that mesh in the end. RWW is a pretty good story teller, and his characters are really full.

I think the great keester head of New Hamster would like these reads, as there's enough of a parrthead in him that he'd find the stiry telling cool.
Vicky Tabor
Jun 01, 2016 Vicky Tabor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Getting into series. Love the story but also know the location. Great way to learn more about Sanibel and Fort Meigs area and history.
Linda Crouse
Donna Fowler
Aug 17, 2013 Donna Fowler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am an avid reader. I rarely have less than 3 books going at the same time but with Randy wayne White's Doc Ford books I have to read them without interuption and even when I can pry myself away from the book to get some sleep his writing will follow me into my dreams. I cannot praise his writing and his character of Doc Ford too much. They are alll keepers.
  • Key West Connection
  • Blackwater Sound (Thorn, #7)
  • The Mango Opera
  • A Tan and Sandy Silence (Travis McGee #13)
  • The Stingray Shuffle (Serge Storms, #5)
aka Carl Ramm, Randy Striker

Randy Wayne White (born 1950) is an American writer of crime fiction and non-fiction adventure tales. He has written best-selling novels and has received awards for his fiction and a television documentary. He is best known for his series of crime novels featuring the retired NSA agent Doc Ford, a marine biologist living on the Gulf Coast of southern Florida. White has
More about Randy Wayne White...

Doc Ford Mystery (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Sanibel Flats (Doc Ford, #1)
  • The Heat Islands (Doc Ford, #2)
  • The Man Who Invented Florida (Doc Ford Mystery, #3)
  • Captiva (Doc Ford Mystery, #4)
  • North of Havana (Doc Ford Mystery, #5)
  • The Mangrove Coast (Doc Ford Mystery, #6)
  • Ten Thousand Islands
  • Twelve Mile Limit
  • Everglades (Doc Ford Mystery, #10)
  • Tampa Burn (Doc Ford Mystery, #11)

“Racism requires lots and lots of dumb emotion, plus a dose of stupidity.” 3 likes
“When you have wholeheartedly accepted one vision of reality, it is very difficult to have that reality challenged, then replaced by another.” 2 likes