Start by marking “Sammy the Seal” as Want to Read:

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  5,237 Ratings  ·  101 Reviews
A seal at school!

What happens when Sammy, the adventurous seal, leaves the zoo for the day? He goes to the city, finds a school full of kids and new things to do -- and he even learns to read!
Published January 5th 2000 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 1959)

To ask other readers questions about Sammy the Seal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sammy the Seal

Sammy the Seal by Syd HoffPut Me in the Zoo by Robert LopshireMay I Please Have a Cookie? by Jennifer E. MorrisSuper Fly Guy by Tedd ArnoldSilly Milly by Wendy Cheyette Lewison
Guided Reading Level H
1st out of 33 books — 1 voter
When a Dragon Moves In by Jodi MooreWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakAlexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith ViorstCloudy With a Chance of Meatballs by Judi BarrettNot a Box by Antoinette Portis
Great Books For Little Boys
88th out of 128 books — 19 voters

More lists with this book...

Jubilation Lee
Okay, so there’s a zoo full of happy, well-fed animals. They’re all just pumped to be behind bars. Everyone... except for Sammy. Sammy the Seal wants to go out and see the world. But Mr. Johnson the zookeeper isn’t worried. He knows that Sammy’ll be back.

As expected, Sammy doesn’t adjust well to the outside world. The cars move too fast, there’s no scheduled feeding time, nothing seems familiar, and he has difficulty fending for himself. Eventually, despite making friends with a group of school
Emily Togstad
Jan 16, 2015 Emily Togstad rated it really liked it
Emily Togstad
English 12
1/16/15
Sammy The Seal
I read a children’s book to Austin’s niece Skye. The book was called “Sammy the Seal” written by Syd Hoff. Skye enjoyed the seal. She thought he was really funny. She laughed a lot. I laughed a few times to. The book was really silly. I really liked the book.

The main character was a seal named Sammy. He liked exploring and he really loved eating fish. The zookeeper's name was Mr. Johnson. The zookeeper was really nice. He was Sammy’s friend. Sammy also
Julia Brumfield
Jun 30, 2016 Julia Brumfield rated it liked it
A childrens' favorite that is sure to delight and stick with children for much years to come. The simple formatting of the writing is the doorway to beginning readers as they follow Sammy who isn't a seal but an actual sea lion.

The concept is cute and sweetly when you think the fact that a zookeeper would just allow one of his charges out to see the world to fit him. Then again looking at the confining spaces of this particular zoo it does make sense.

The pictures follow along sweet and simple
Kat
Apr 20, 2009 Kat rated it it was amazing
I actually never read any of Syd Hoff's books until I picked this up at Barnes & Noble to read it to my niece at the store.

Sammy the Seal is a fun book about a seal who lives in a zoo, and he wants to see what's outside the zoo. Mr. Johnson, the zookeeper, lets Sammy the seal out of his cage (what?!) so he can explore the city. He wanders the streets and observes people, jumps into a man's bathtub, and eventually ends up in an elementary school classroom. Although he enjoys his adventures, h
Luann
Dec 08, 2010 Luann rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book, 2010
Maybe I would have loved this if I'd read it first when I was little. Reading it as an adult, it just seemed silly - and not in a good way. Why would the zookeeper let Sammy leave the zoo and go exploring around town? Why would the teacher let Sammy stay in school? How can Sammy learn to read and write in the space of two sentences? ("Sammy learns to read. Sammy learns to write.") I usually don't mind some silliness and a bit of fantasy in stories, but this one wasn't a favorite. I did enjoy Syd ...more
Patty
Dec 19, 2011 Patty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-picture
A sweet story about Sammy, a seal, who is allowed to venture out of the zoo to see what the world is like, because he is very well behaved. I remember reading this book as a small child countless times and really enjoying both the story and the pictures. As an adult, I still find this book to be adorable and enjoyable. The illustrations are very crisp and clean and look like something a very talented child artist would create. SAMMY THE SEAL is a wonderful little book.

For those familiar with th
Brian Gramman
Aug 14, 2016 Brian Gramman rated it really liked it
Sammy the Seal is the dystopian novel that 1984 was meant to be. What is Big Brother if not a semiaquatic anglophone determined to force himself into the lives of unsuspecting humans? Orwell envisioned a world where you were always being watched, whether you liked it or not. This, of course, pales in comparison to Syd Hoff's nightmarish conception of a totalitarian regime that grants a goddamn seal the right to take a bath IN YOUR TUB whenever it pleases, whether you like it or not.

Sammy is a d
Katelyn Bognatz
Title: Sammy the Seal

Author: Syd Hoff

Illustrator: n/a

Genre: early reader

Theme(s): animals, zoos, children’s stories

Opening line/sentence: “It was feeding time at the zoo. All the animals were getting their food.”

Brief book summary: The book is about the animals in the zoo and what they are eating. Sammy the seal breaks out of his cage and starts living life as though he’s a human.

Professional Recommendation/Review #1: Hazel Rochman (Booklist, December 1, 1999 (Vol. 96, No. 7))
Newly illustrate
Katie McCulloch
Feb 01, 2016 Katie McCulloch rated it it was amazing
The story Sammy the Seal by Syd Hoff is about a seal named Sammy who lives in a zoo. One day after being fed by a worker, Sammy told the worker that he wanted to know what it was like outside of the zoo. The worker agreed and let Sammy out of his caged area. Sammy then went around to other areas of the zoo, he went around the city, and he even went to a school. At school he learned to read and write, and met many other people. But after the school day ended he realized the place he really belong ...more
Gail Barge
Jan 19, 2011 Gail Barge rated it liked it
This book is a classic that I used to read with my Mother when I was a little girl. This book emphasizes the importance of learning about new places and meeting people who are different, all while upholding the importance of the love of home. Students could use this book to learn about different types of homes (single parent, divorced, different houses, different towns, etc.). Young students will enjoy the likable title character and his zoo friends.
Dolly
Jun 25, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun story - it's designed for beginning readers and has a simple narrative, but it is a bit long. Young readers might need to read it in parts. The idea of a seal going to school and playing sports is funny and quite fantastic. We enjoyed listening to this book narrated on audio CD by Charles Mintz while we followed along with the story.
Lisa
Feb 11, 2009 Lisa rated it it was amazing
This is probably truly the first favorite book I ever had. I like this book so much that I read it to my daughter's Kindergarten class when I was a Mom Reader...

I remember reading it as a kid and laughing everytime...moral of the story, there's no place like home.

Now I collect Syd Hoff books. Strangely enough, I named my daughter Sydney...not after the author, though :)
Michael D.
Aug 22, 2011 Michael D. rated it really liked it
This is a great read for teaching students science as it pertains to animals,natural habitat, diet, etc. An educator can also use the book to teach a little Geography. Sammy is a wonderful character for teaching students how to find one's place in the world.Also, it is a wonderful read for addressing the school culture and the purpose for attending school.
Rebecca
Nov 04, 2015 Rebecca rated it did not like it
I'm totally cool with outrageous plot points. Sammy could have wandered into a NASA base and gone to the moon and I could have liked it. (Seriously, Curious George does that all the time and I love it!) But it's so painfully written. Single sentences take the place of several pages. He does far more than he should be doing in a single book (which kind of necessitates the single sentence jumps) but it's simply not fun to read.

Even still I might have given it a second star for any sort of value t
Camille Ryckman
May 27, 2014 Camille Ryckman rated it really liked it
Sammy the Seal
Brief summary A seal in the zoo asks his zoo keeper if he can explore the world outside the zoo gates. Sammy explores the city, goes to school and runs into some adventures but ends up back at the zoo.
Annotation - This is a classic Syd Hoff book and the illustrations help tell the story. This is great for a first reader.
Age appropriateness This can be read to a younger child and read by children, they would most enjoy it if they are 4-7years old
Connection to six early literacy ski
Paula

Anxious to see what life is like outside the zoo, Sammy the seal explores the city, goes to school, and plays with the children but decides that there really is no place like home.
Heather Armbruster
Sep 18, 2016 Heather Armbruster rated it it was amazing
Sammy the Seal by Syd Hoff is the perfect fantasy book for a first or second grade level reader! It has cute illustrations and a fun and simple story for young readers. This book is about an adventurous seal that decides to see what life outside of the zoo is like. Sammy travels around the city and ends up in school with children and learns to read. This book does not contain inappropriate or concerning content. This could be used in an animal science lesson, as the book shows seals and other zo ...more
Sammy Long
Aug 19, 2011 Sammy Long rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebook
this was one of my most favorite books as a kid. I really enjoy this illustrations the author uses. He is also one of my favorite authors for children's books.
Shunta
Cute story for early readers. A seal tired of the zoo, tries to find his place, he is curious about everything. He loves school but is happy to go home, back to the zoo.
Aug 21, 2015 Sarah rated it it was ok
I just can't get past the fact that there's a SEA LION pictured throughout the book.
Samantha
Dec 17, 2011 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Samantha by: Alexandria King
I love Sammy! Such a great story...a total classic, must-read for every reader =)
Angela
May 07, 2013 Angela rated it it was amazing
This book a classic read that I remember reading over and over again as a child with my Mom and my Grandmother. Sammy the seal doesn't want to leave the zoo for good, but he does want to see the outside world, even if it is just for a day or afternoon. The zoo keeper tells Sammy that he will allow him to go outside the zoo to explore for one day. Sammy uses this to his full advantage and sees the city. He learns that water to sit in when you are a seal can be hard to find, that school is fun, an ...more
Stacy
Jul 15, 2015 Stacy rated it liked it
Shelves: children
Jamie Tedesco
Mar 02, 2014 Jamie Tedesco rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, journey
Reading this book as an adult is different than as a kid (of course). I'm pretty sure I only really liked it because it was about a seal. It's a cute story but not supper interesting and I have what looks like the original 1959 version, although the story itself can fit for the current decade, the pictures don't really represent today due to the lack of ethnicity and the choices of clothing, but it's not a bad story and holds a special place in my heart.
Asho
Dec 27, 2015 Asho rated it it was amazing
I loved this book when I was a girl. I remember reading it at my grandma's house and just loving the story of the seal wandering around town. When my son received this book as a hand-me-down from his older cousin I was so excited to read it to him. Both of my kids seem to enjoy this one, too. Definitely a classic!
Madimeier
This book was about a seal that escaped the zoo and spent time in the city. He did a whole bunch of different activities in the city. He spent time in a classroom and he went and took a shower in someones house also. The seal went back to the zoo and said that there was no place like home.
Joseph
Sep 02, 2014 Joseph rated it liked it
Showed the importance of loving a home life while still going and exploring new things. Sammy learned some rights and wrongs. This book might make you or the kids chuckle, but not too much educational value. However, this could be a good read for elementary students.
Ms. Mielke's Class Make sure you post how your sheets tell you to!!!!
If you want to read a silly story of a seal and his friends, do I have a book for you! When Sammy wants to go and look around at the city that he lives in, he doesn't know how much fun it will be. Have fun reading! HHG
Karen
Oct 24, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it
My almost-five-year-old son picked this book out from our local library last week. He thought that Sammy the Seal was an otter.

After his initial disappointment -- seals just can't compare to otters -- he did like this book. Sammy the Seal is a silly book, which is fine, because it is supposed to be. Kids are supposed to laugh at a seal wandering out of the zoo, and walking down the street, and attending school, and riding in a taxi cab. The absolutely delightful illustrations further the merrime
Queana
Aug 07, 2015 Queana rated it it was amazing
This is a really great book to read to your kids and to have them read to you. My son really like to read this book and the story is fun.
  • Morris Goes to School
  • Small Pig
  • Harry and the Lady Next Door
  • Play Ball, Amelia Bedelia
  • The Fire Cat
  • Father Bear Comes Home
  • Zack's Alligator
  • The Fat Cat Sat on the Mat
  • The Berenstains' B Book (Bright & Early Books)
  • A Picture for Harold's Room
  • Biscuit Goes to School
  • Henry's Awful Mistake
  • The Blind Men And The Elephant
  • Thomas and the School Trip (Thomas & Friends)
  • Arthur's Reading Race
  • Buzz Said the Bee
  • Fun Dog, Sun Dog
  • Katy No-Pocket
Whether you’re seven or seventy, the chances are you’ve probably come in contact with one of his many books (150 plus), or cartoons that have appeared in over 200 magazines in the course of his lifetime, including Laugh it Off which was syndicated for 20 years. His comic strip Tuffy, about a little girl who did funny things, was declared essential for national morale during WWII by William Randolp ...more
More about Syd Hoff...