Start by marking “The Essential Hemingway” as Want to Read:
The Essential Hemingway

The Essential Hemingway

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  202 ratings  ·  21 reviews
The Essential Hemingway is the perfect introduction to the astonishing, wide-ranging body of work by the Nobel Prize-winning author. This impressive collection includes: the full text of Fiesta, Hemingway's first major novel; long extracts from three of his greatest works of fiction, A Farewell to Arms, To Have and Have Not and For Whom the Bell Tolls; twenty-five complete ...more
Published January 5th 2004 by Arrow Books (first published 1947)

To ask other readers questions about The Essential Hemingway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Essential Hemingway

Sean de la Rosa
Hemmingway, winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1954 most definitely experienced a significant amount of war and times of uncertainty in his lifetime - this forms a major portion of the material he uses.

The verdict: I read through all 500 pages or so and did not enjoy the book as much as I was expecting to. At the end of each chapter I sat asking the question: so what? I guess its just like people say: different strokes for different folks.
Kmaceross
I started this book expecting to love it considering all the praise that I have heard about Hemingway and also because of the fact that I have read and liked many quotes from him, but sadly, I did not. I really had to push myself to even finish it and am glad that I read this book before diving into one of his full-length novels. I think I will stick to reading his quotes from now on.
Gavin
Yep, this is the Hemingway to read - a best of, really, but you don't necessarily need more than that.

With such a seemingly simple, paratactic style, I at first questioned - how could he be considered a "genius"? Florid Nabokov is "genius", labyrinthine Joyce is "genius" - Hemingway just seems to write what he sees! But he is a genius, or at least I'm a big big fan of his, despite all the feminist criticism (I think they miss the point - I think he embraces castration as much as you would like t
Rita Sophie
Oh, oh.... Mr. Hemingway! How I love you!
Somehow, and I'm not going to enter into too many details, my reading 'Essential Hemingway' was very much like my first relationship - he was the most beautiful and the smartest guy I've ever known. At one point, though, we both got tired. And we split, though there was still love there. I loved reading Hemingway, but I simply had to leave some of his short stories in this volume un-read (if I'm allowed). It was too much! It was too dark... It was like th
Pete Kelly
A good introduction to the master of the short sentence. One of the finest American writers of the 20th Century. Hemingway should be on everyone's book shelf.
Margaret Small
A major writer, I know, but.... I read 'Fiesta', an aimless novel in which the main characters drink a great deal and generally are rude to each other. There are bullfights too. Read the next one, a chapter from another novel in which an ambulance driver inWWI was on the run. Gave it up then.
Andrew
Didn't realize this was mostly novel excerpts when I picked it up - that was a bit disappointing. Certainly my fault, not the publication's.
Meghan
October 15, 2013: I purchased this for the purpose of readin the short stories "In Our Time" so this rating reflects that section only.

I can appreciate Hemingway's writing. In many ways, I find myself thinking he is very good because he achieves he goal of writing whatbis true. That said, his abrupt style makes it very difficult for me to engage with his characters and care what is happening to them.

I continue to struggle with the short story format. The main thought I had was "at least I'm don
Zeno
Hindi ko alam, baka hindi lang ito ang tamang panahon para basahin ko si Hemingway. Baka masyado pa akong immature para maapreciate ang kanyang katha. Hindi ko maintindihan kung saan papunta ang kuwento sa kanyang istorya, hindi ko alam kung saan ako dadalhin. Para ako nitong idinuduyan sa hangin sa gaan ng kanyang mga salita pero hahanapin mo pa rin kung saan ka ba niya tinatahak, at nawala ako doon. Siguro itatabi ko muna ito at muling bubuklatin sa mga susunod na panahon, pag handda na ako.
Deanna
It didn't quite reach my expectations. I just don't think it's my style of writing. I like how he introduces characters but some of his character descriptions I've found repetitive and the dialogue doesn't flow as easily as I'd like. He reminds me of Salinger, but I prefer Steinbeck. A great writer though and I'll keep plodding through for a few more of the short stories at the end.

Also Paris lovers may enjoy this. I've been but still couldn't follow all of the geographical references.
Tarmo
Originaalkeeles Hemingway lugemine on ettevõtmine, võiks öelda suisa, et keeruline ettevõtmine.

Kuna tegemist on kogumikuga, siis on terviklikku hinnangut üsna keeruline anda. Kindlasti meeldis mulle kogumikus täispikana esindatud romaan "Ja päike tõuseb". Lühijuttude ja ülejäänud romaanikatkete osas oli emotsioon aga väga kõikuv, sest mõne lugemine nõudis ikka siirast pingutust.
alesha dawson
there were only a few of the short stories that i liked personally. his iceberg writing style is interesting and enjoyable on the whole but i feel like i just do not connect with most of his stories on a level of interest. i know each of his stories are unique, but the reoccuring dominant themes of war and just that time period are usually boring to me.
Carrie
She opened up the laptop. It was a nice laptop. She pressed the button to take the laptop out of standby. She went to the tab with GoodReads and found the book.

"I don't like this style of writing at all," she wrote. "I think I can safely conclude I don't like Hemingway."
Justine
I was disappointed. Too high an expectation of Hemingway, perhaps. Not too fond of tales 'without heads or tails'.
Ahlia Demas
It's Pappa, why would be anything different than Great Reads
and re-reads and more re-reads.
Suzanne King
I've always found him more of a "man's kinda writer" and did so with this one. My husband loved it.
Jan
Book was good. Skipped a few chapters that were taken from other Hemingway books.
Anne
part of my quest to read all of Hemingway I can get my hands on.
Ajgrands
Really wanted to like it. Alas.
Mark Swelstad
I read the stories from 'In Our Time'.
Beckie
Beckie marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Richard Waddington
Richard Waddington marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Cecillie Silke
Cecillie Silke marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
  • The Miser and Other Plays: A New Selection
  • Quiet As They Come
  • The Separation
  • Rumble Fish
  • The Woman Who Had Two Navels
  • Indaba My Children
  • The Mastermind of Mars and A Fighting Man of Mars (Barsoom, #6-7)
  • The Collected Poems of Rudyard Kipling
  • After Eden
  • Three Lives & Tender Buttons
  • Human Is?: A Philip K. Dick Reader (Gollancz S.F.)
  • Great Books of the Western World
  • Inner Workings: Literary Essays 2000-2005
  • Lights Out for the Territory: 9 Excursions in the Secret History of London
  • Music at Night and Other Essays
  • The Gulag Archipelago, 1918-1956: An Experiment in Literary Investigation, Books I-II
  • The Gospel According to the Son
  • One More Sunday
Ernest Miller Hemingway was an American author and journalist. His economical and understated style had a strong influence on 20th-century fiction, while his life of adventure and his public image influenced later generations. Hemingway produced most of his work between the mid-1920s and the mid-1950s, and won the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1954. He published seven novels, six short story collec ...more
More about Ernest Hemingway...
The Old Man and the Sea The Sun Also Rises For Whom the Bell Tolls A Farewell to Arms A Moveable Feast