Start by marking “This I Believe: An A to Z of a Life” as Want to Read:
This I Believe: An A to Z of a Life

This I Believe: An A to Z of a Life

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  169 ratings  ·  16 reviews
In this masterly, deeply personal, and provocative book, the internationally renowned Mexican writer Carlos Fuentes, whose work has been called “a combination of Poe, Baudelaire, and Isak Dinesen” (Newsweek), steps back to survey the wellsprings of art and ideology, the events that have shaped our time, and his extraordinary life and fiercest passions.

Arranged alphabetical...more
Published December 18th 2007 by Random House (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about This I Believe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This I Believe

Bookmarks Magazine

While critics praised the depth and breadth of Fuentes's thinking, most acknowledged that This I Believe is a work for the serious reader, someone who has already considered deeply philosophical issues. At all turns, Fuentes challenges his readers__not only with personal inquiries into marriage, but also with forays into political topics including globalization and civic society. Many reviewers cited the essay titled "Urbanities," which recalls the distinctive roles cities played in Fuentes's li

Diego Castañeda
Una especie de Autobiografía de Fuentes, donde nos cuenta su abecedario personal, como bien dice el titulo en qué cree, en la política lo económico lo social, en el arte, cine pintura y literatura, explora con su gran cultura y elocuencia a grandes Filosofos y Novelistas, pasa de Platon a Wittgenstein dando vueltas por Nietzsche quien parece ser una gran influencia en el, de Sofocles a Kundera deteniéndose continuamente a hablar de Balzac o Borges, nos narra sus experiencias personales también,...more
Alex
This book makes my heart swell with an insurmountable amount of happiness that only childhood birthdays, lovers' vacations and nostalgic Sunday mornings can bring.
Farhan Khalid
Amour

A couple begins to know each other

Everything is surprise

Sometimes love yearns to recover the wonder of its earliest moment but inevitably comes to realize the second time around the wonder is nothing more than nostalgia

There is always someone who will say that the greatest moment of love is separation

Extreme attention is the creative faculty, and its condition is love

How can one single person assume responsibility for everyone?

This is the central theme of all Dostoevsky’s novels

Critics rep...more
David
I left my Kindle on the plane and it was never found. Very annoying. So three-quarters the way through Jonathan Franzen's Freedom I scanned my grandmother's bookshelf and settled on Carlos Fuentes' This I Believe, a collection of thirty or so essays arranged alphabetically.

The essays cover everything from love to Buñuel, from civil society to sex. I hate to admit impatience with such a well regarded intellectual just months after his death, but there are times when you feel like you're the audi...more
Izzy G
Aug 04, 2007 Izzy G rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Really smart people
Shelves: ifyouhavetime
I really enjoy Fuentes. However... I'm not sure if the intent of this book was to elevate the discourse to the stratoshpere so that it would be out of the reach of a humble reader. Because it sure seemed like it at times. Either that or I read it during a time when the bong residue began to accumulate in my parietal lobe. In any case, some parts make you feel wholly inadequate but in others you are right there with him saying "I feel you Carlos". Overall, definitely worth the read. Organized int...more
Denisse Comte
Este libro es básicamente un recorrido extenso a través de la mente de Carlos Fuentes. Experimentar en estas pequeñas lecturas su opinión sobre variados temas, así como algunos de esos recuerdos trascendentales para el autor. Una lectura rica en lenguaje y llena de contenidos interesantes. Desde la globalización hasta sus autores favoritos, pasando por temas como amor y amistad. Increíble, si deseamos verdaderamente entrelazarnos con la verdadera imagen de Fuentes, este es el libro. Mas que una...more
Estela Anders
What an incredible glimpse into the mind of an incredible man. This book made me want to go and find every Carlos Fuentes book I have not yet read (I have had less luck finding Luis Buñuel's movies, but Mr. Fuentes inspired me too). What a beautiful mind.
Joana Costa

Carlos Fuentes percorre de A a Z os temas que o definem. Talvez por gostar de saber o que outros pensam, tenha gostado deste livro.
Gostei particularmente de "globalização", "história", "ibero-américa" e "leitura".

Frases que ficaram:

"Eu amo-a porque eu sou o homem mais pontual da terra e ela, pontualmente, chega sempre tarde."

"A esquerda saudosa do que já não foi não pode ser uma esquerda construtiva do que deve ser."

"Mas uma catástrofe, diz María Zambrano, só é catastrófica se dela não nascer na...more
David
I read this book while in Mexico and it rang true to what Fuentes has seen over the years. I may not always agree with what he believes, but his sense of dignity about living in Mexico ( he wasn't born in Mexico but spent most of his life there) shines in this book. he is also a world traveller with homes outside of Mexico and he enlightens us on these places. great read.
I read this in the original Spanish at the recommendation of a friend. While on occasion Fuentes would share something interesting, for the most part I just didn't care about his opinion. His main purpose seemed to be convincing his reader that he was well-read and wise.

Content aside though, reading this book was good for my Spanish.
Tuck
this is like sitting with fuentes over a week's time at a cafe and drinking too many wines and coffees, but he just won't stop talking and you can't help but hang on his every word and try to get one in edgewise every once in a while, just to goad him to a new topic.
Daniel Guzman
Un buen compendio de ensayos que incluye una variedad de temas al estilo de Gibran, un libro muy bello, ilustra la claridad del autor, aquella que creo solo se obtiene en el ocaso de la vida, ahí cuando la contemplación constituye la escénica misma.
Ingrid
Carlos Fuentes is a writer of a lot of wisdom. I specially liked what we had to say about love and how it translates into giving full attention to the object or person loved. I liked the way this relates to art making.
Miguel Mata
Miguel Mata is currently reading it
Oct 09, 2014
Stella
Stella marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Rosemarie Betancourt
Rosemarie Betancourt marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Petra
Petra marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Marko Mehner
Marko Mehner marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Oldecat
Oldecat marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Homero Núñez
Homero Núñez is currently reading it
Aug 19, 2014
Indira Baides
Indira Baides marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Carlos Fuentes Macías was a Mexican writer and one of the best-known novelists and essayists of the 20th century in the Spanish-speaking world. Fuentes influenced contemporary Latin American literature, and his works have been widely translated into English and other languages.

Fuentes was born in Panama City, Panama; his parents were Mexican. Due to his father being a diplomat, during his childhoo...more
More about Carlos Fuentes...
Aura The Death of Artemio Cruz The Old Gringo La Región Más Transparente Terra Nostra