Start by marking “The Artist's Wife” as Want to Read:
The Artist's Wife

The Artist's Wife

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  13 reviews
An elegant reimagining of the life of Alma Mahler, the lovely, aristocratic fin-de-siècle composer who abandoned her own art to become the inspiration and collector of geniuses.

At the turn of the century, "the most beautiful girl in Vienna" stood at the threshold of a promising musical career. But instead, she turned her considerable talents to becoming a freelance muse. P
Published June 21st 2001 by Henry Holt and Co. (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Artist's Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Artist's Wife

Diane
The (mostly) true story of Alma Mahler, the muse to many famous European artists: composer Gustav Mahler, Walter Gropius (founder of Bauhaus), author Franz Werfel, painters Gustav Klimt and Oskar Kokoschka.

I found the writing stilted and unmoving. I was as interested in this character as little as Alma Mahler was interested in anything other than herself.
Martadellenevi
Molto interessante questo libro....
é un lbro che ho letto con il gruppo di lettura della biblioteca che frequento.
E' la prima volta che mi avventuro in questa autobiografia immaginaria, eppure molto reale.
Il libro parla di Alma Mahler, un icona che con il suo fascino, la sua passionalità e il suo anticonformismo ha saputo ispirare alcune fra le più grandi menti del Novecento.
Alma diventa una grande musa, e la sua vita un amalgama indissolubile di sentimento e genio.
E' la voce ferma, ironica e sp
Catherine Byers
I read about this book while listening to a Great Course on Gustav Mahler. I guess great big personalities attract other big personalities. And Alma fit the bill. Likable, she is not. She was a handful. But the book gives a good snapshot of the world and time in which she lived. This was not a great book, but I am not sorry I read it.
Punk
Historical Fiction. Alma Mahler's story starts in turn-of-the-century Vienna and ends in post-WWII Hollywood. In between she travels around Europe and is rich and spoiled and has some kids and some husbands and some lovers and composes some music and inspires some artists. She's selfish and cruel and not very sympathetic at all.

Alma's story didn't interest me, but it was written well and told by her after her death so there was a slight sniff of first person omniscient about it, which was inter
Izabela Kolar Furjan
Umjetnikova žena
Naklada Ljevak 2003 953-178-581-3
Martha
I guess this book is well-written enough, but I am finding the main character so repellent and insensitive to her own character flaws that I am not enjoying the story.
Diana
I enjoyed the omniscient voice, and what a crual woman she was. An interesting way of writing historical fiction, it made her very immediate and her life choices rather weird. Could this woman really have been so powerful and feted if she was as self serving as she portrays herself? Loved all the Viennese background.
Markets2006 Wahl
The artists wife wanted be a lover and corepetitior and became a housewife though she mentioned being half deaf after a measles infection was a peculiar way to become a musician and componist. We think the absolute "Gehör" is defining a sound as a note in dur and moll.
Kitty
Taken from an artist point of view, innovating book on the non-fiction life of a composer, Gustave Mahler. A great story between music, and life under communist regime, with a true love whom he admired. Great story.
Margery
Fascinating look at Vienna, central Europe during the end of the Hapsburg empire. Found Alma very shallow and self centered. Interesting look at all her husbands, lovers.
mary elizabeth  Williams
I would not recommend it. Its about Alma Mahler, so I was interested, but it could not keep my attention. Just watch Bride of the Wind instead.
nikkia authement
The best biography's are like this book. I wish I could find more biographies this good.
Emma
so good. not for everyone..but i really enjoyed it.
Vcathcart
Vcathcart is currently reading it
Jul 03, 2015
Amanda Cohen
Amanda Cohen marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Silvia Muñoz
Silvia Muñoz marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Ilanka
Ilanka marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Lisa C
Lisa C marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Amanda Saintil
Amanda Saintil marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Neta
Neta added it
Oct 21, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Max Phillips has received an Academy of American Poets Prize and a fellowship from the National Endowment for the Arts, and his stories have appeared in the Atlantic Monthly, the Partisan Review, and the Village Voice, among other publications.

Forrest Devoe Jr. is the pen name of Max Phillips. In addition to cofounding the pulp revival imprint Hard Case Crime, he has authored one of its debut titl
More about Max Phillips...
Fade to Blonde Snakebite Sonnet The Hunted