Start by marking “The Artist's Wife” as Want to Read:
The Artist's Wife

The Artist's Wife

An elegant reimagining of the life of Alma Mahler, the lovely, aristocratic fin-de-siècle composer who abandoned her own art to become the inspiration and collector of geniuses.

At the turn of the century, "the most beautiful girl in Vienna" stood at the threshold of a promising musical career. But instead, she turned her considerable talents to becoming a freelance muse. P
Published June 21st 2001 by Henry Holt and Co. (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Artist's Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Artist's Wife

Diane
May 19, 2008 Diane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The (mostly) true story of Alma Mahler, the muse to many famous European artists: composer Gustav Mahler, Walter Gropius (founder of Bauhaus), author Franz Werfel, painters Gustav Klimt and Oskar Kokoschka.

I found the writing stilted and unmoving. I was as interested in this character as little as Alma Mahler was interested in anything other than herself.
Martadellenevi
May 03, 2013 Martadellenevi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cartacei
Molto interessante questo libro....
é un lbro che ho letto con il gruppo di lettura della biblioteca che frequento.
E' la prima volta che mi avventuro in questa autobiografia immaginaria, eppure molto reale.
Il libro parla di Alma Mahler, un icona che con il suo fascino, la sua passionalità e il suo anticonformismo ha saputo ispirare alcune fra le più grandi menti del Novecento.
Alma diventa una grande musa, e la sua vita un amalgama indissolubile di sentimento e genio.
E' la voce ferma, ironica e sp
Punk
Jun 23, 2007 Punk rated it liked it
Historical Fiction. Alma Mahler's story starts in turn-of-the-century Vienna and ends in post-WWII Hollywood. In between she travels around Europe and is rich and spoiled and has some kids and some husbands and some lovers and composes some music and inspires some artists. She's selfish and cruel and not very sympathetic at all.

Alma's story didn't interest me, but it was written well and told by her after her death so there was a slight sniff of first person omniscient about it, which was inter
Sue Myers
Historical fiction about Anna Schindler, wife of Gustav Mahler, and several others. She was pretty wild-3 marriages, several abortions, 4 children to different husbands. Lived in the late 1880's through WWII. Lived in Vienna and then fled the Nazis with her Jewish husband to California. Tough book to read, kind of like mystical realism, which I hate! Should have known better..purchased for $1 at a book sale.
Catherine Byers
I read about this book while listening to a Great Course on Gustav Mahler. I guess great big personalities attract other big personalities. And Alma fit the bill. Likable, she is not. She was a handful. But the book gives a good snapshot of the world and time in which she lived. This was not a great book, but I am not sorry I read it.
Diana
Jun 30, 2012 Diana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historocal
I enjoyed the omniscient voice, and what a crual woman she was. An interesting way of writing historical fiction, it made her very immediate and her life choices rather weird. Could this woman really have been so powerful and feted if she was as self serving as she portrays herself? Loved all the Viennese background.
Markets2006 Wahl
The artists wife wanted be a lover and corepetitior and became a housewife though she mentioned being half deaf after a measles infection was a peculiar way to become a musician and componist. We think the absolute "Gehör" is defining a sound as a note in dur and moll.
Kitty
May 12, 2009 Kitty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Taken from an artist point of view, innovating book on the non-fiction life of a composer, Gustave Mahler. A great story between music, and life under communist regime, with a true love whom he admired. Great story.
Emma
Jul 28, 2011 Emma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
so good. not for everyone..but i really enjoyed it.
mary elizabeth  Williams
I would not recommend it. Its about Alma Mahler, so I was interested, but it could not keep my attention. Just watch Bride of the Wind instead.
Martha
I guess this book is well-written enough, but I am finding the main character so repellent and insensitive to her own character flaws that I am not enjoying the story.
Margery
Mar 01, 2010 Margery rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating look at Vienna, central Europe during the end of the Hapsburg empire. Found Alma very shallow and self centered. Interesting look at all her husbands, lovers.
Sheri
Sheri rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2009
Anna Anthony
Anna Anthony rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2011
Jen
Jen rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2010
nikkia neil
Jun 10, 2014 nikkia neil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
The best biography's are like this book. I wish I could find more biographies this good.
ilaria
ilaria rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2011
Ellen Smith
Ellen Smith rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2013
Damla Tantekin
Damla Tantekin rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2012
John Martin Marks
John Martin Marks rated it liked it
May 01, 2014
Red Fields
Red Fields rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2007
Anne
Anne rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2011
Ivana
Ivana rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2012
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2010
Nancy
Nancy rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2012
Geraint Waters
Geraint Waters rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2016
Dawn
Dawn rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2008
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was ok
Sep 12, 2011
Donald
Donald rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2012
Baillie Scott
Baillie Scott rated it liked it
May 17, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Max Phillips has received an Academy of American Poets Prize and a fellowship from the National Endowment for the Arts, and his stories have appeared in the Atlantic Monthly, the Partisan Review, and the Village Voice, among other publications.

Forrest Devoe Jr. is the pen name of Max Phillips. In addition to cofounding the pulp revival imprint Hard Case Crime, he has authored one of its debut titl
More about Max Phillips...