Mister X

Mister X (Frank Quinn #5)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  368 ratings  ·  62 reviews
Fear Leaves A Mark He mutilates his victims. Slices their throats. And carves an X into their flesh. Five years ago, he claimed the lives of six women. Then the killings abruptly stopped--no one knows why. Ex-homicide detective Frank Quinn remembers. Which is why he's shocked to see one of the dead women in his office. Actually, she's the identical twin of the last victim,...more
Published October 1st 2010 by Pinnacle Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Mister X, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Eric_W
Quinn has more or less retired from the police department and is now running his own detective agency. He is approached by Chrissie who claims to have won a considerable sum of money and wants to hire his agency to find the killer, know as the “Carver,” of her twin sister, Tiffany. Quinn is then hired by the police department as consultants on the case which has been reopened after the discovery of another murdered women whose M.O. resembles that of the Carver. (I won’t describe exactly what the...more
Ed
Sep 21, 2011 Ed rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: old fan of the author's books
Recommended to Ed by: police procedural fans esp. of NYC setting
John Lutz writes about serial killers, but he uses fresh approaches and twisty plots that often surprise me. His prose style is a well-blended and seamless one. Somehow he captures the right mannerism or description that befits the scene or character. I also usually shy away from NYC settings, but he paints his with different strokes. The romantic and professional interplay between Pearl and Frank Quinn, the protagonist, is a strength of the narrative. Great stuff.
NancyG
If you like dark, scary thrillers with retired homicide cops chasing psychotic, sadistic killers, this is right up your alley. I know it was right up my alley. I've somehow missed a couple of Lutz's books so I'm off to the library to get my hands on the ones I've missed. These books are not for everyone but if you like the genre, Lutz is tops.
laura m
Sep 10, 2014 laura m rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: john lutz fans
I am totally unsure whether to rate as 3 or 4 as I didn't totally grasp the ending. I have been trying to find other's opinions on it but there aren't any spoilers to be found.
otherwise, until last 5-10 pages it was a great read. I again have a feeling it ended too soon and so many information and facts squeezed in those last pages, I wasn't sure if I was even reading correctly.
I will have to re-read these last pages but I am unsure whether it will help, I hope I'll stumble upon a discussion reg...more
Carolyn
I get the feeling Lutz has some issues with women.
Lori
Frank Quinn and his partners are back in the newly formed Quinn & Associates Investigations. Pearl Kasner was done working as a security guard at a bank and Larry Fedderman (Feds) wasn’t all that interested in catching fish in Florida anymore. So the three of them have settled back into the life they know and love – detecting. Chrissie Keller, having come into a large sum of money, comes to see Frank to hire him. Five years ago her twin sister Tiffany, along with four other young ladies, was...more
Mcrib
I enjoyed reading the book - lots of characters but they are portrayed well, interact in interesting ways, and the pace isn't dull. There is a lot of mystery in how this is all going to tie together. •Spoiler*. One thing I didn't like while reading the book was that the main characters in charge of the case weren't particularly doing anything brilliant or heroic to advance the case - they were just reacting to events around them. Somehow they get caught up in the middle of things but the antagon...more
Jill Manske
I forgot how much I like John Lutz and his writing. Mr. X is a complex tale of gruesome serial murders, child abuse/sexual abuse, and very dysfunctional families. You're never quite sure where Lutz is going to take you next and how Quinn is going to put all the clues together. The book is full of political intrigue and how it interfaces with and sometimes interferes with police work and solving crimes. The ending was a real shocker. If you like fast-paced thrillers, you'll like this book.
Wynn
All thriller fans...A must read!, November 4, 2010

This is the 5th and the best thriller featuring ex NYPD police captain Frank Quinn, his now former lover Pearl and his former police partner, Larry Fedderman. Once again all three are on a task force to find a serial killer known as "the carver". This book is so well written I could not stop listening. (Another excellent narration from Scott Brick) Lutz fills the book with twists, turns and dramatic suspense on every page without any confusion....more
Sae-chan
I enjoyed reading the book, and I think it was presented quite interestingly. One thing didn't sit well with me, though. The writer didn't offer any psychological analysis, when the story was clearly something to do with it. If a writer decided to write a murder story like this, I think it is not supposed to be a whodunit kind of story. Too bad.

Clare
I picked this book up by chance in my library. It was a really good story but the characters did start to grate on but I managed to carry on reading as the story was worth it. I have managed to get hold of the 2nd book in the story.
Sally
After an absence of five years, the mysterious serial killer known as the Carver has resurfaced. PI Frank Quinn is hired by the twin sister of the last Carver victim to bring her sister's killer to justice and Quinn is eager to nab this killer that mutilates his victims, carving an x on their body and cutting their throats.

Quinn is also nursing wounds from he and his co-worker, Pearl's breakup, and those wounds deepen when Pearl becomes involved with another man who seems to have a bit of a rep...more
Kathryn Hempstalk
Rarely does an author surprise me with a twist, but this book definitely did that at the end. I was left wanting more, and I don't think there's a follow up...

Katy
John Lutz does not write cozies. He writes rather too well of psychopathic serial killers.

What puts his books above mere sensation his his strong, smart regular characters. I have read the books totally out of order and still have become involved in the relationships and foibles of the main characters; Quinn, Pearl, Feds and the other regulars.

This book is more convoluted than most of his and a bit less satisfying for that. I does keep you guessing to the end with it's twists and turns.

Those w...more
Cindy Barnett
Interesting plot, twists, developed characters - unsatisfying end. Like some of Lutz' books better. Well read by Scott Brick (his usual).
Lozza
good read. if I'm honest I didn't get into it much as I was reading another book on my kindle so with probably re-read to review properly
Eliana
Keeps you hooked til the very end every time. P.I. thriller/mystery.
Sheri S.
This mystery/thriller was good, but wasn't a fantastic read for me. I liked the characters and the premise of the story, but I felt the plot was strung out too long; it could've been shorter in length! Some of the book was predictable, some of it was a surprise and I really didn't care for the twist in the end! Overall, not a terrible book, but I actually enjoyed it the most because of the fact that it was my first e-book (I am completely in love with my new Sony e-reader!!)!
Kay
Frank Quinn and his team reappear in this latest thriller from Lutz. Since he has another Quinn book coming out this year, I have to assume he's decided to stick with one character than those assorted retired policemen that all had the same characteristics but different names in his earlier books. His plots were always good but I did tire of the similar main character.

This book has lots of action and some twists and turns that keeps you guessing along the way.
Brian McCusker
Well, I was pleasantly surprised. not too much gore and quite a twist to this tale. Lots of background builds to an interesting conclusion.
serial killer, kills a number of women, goes into hiding, then 5 years later starts again. Ex-cop and his team of Private detectives investigate and assist police and find the suspect, or do they?

Not brilliant, but better than others
Bill
John Lutz continues his brilliant Frank Quinn series with a thriller that has the reader guessing why the Carver, after five years of inactivity, has started killing again and whether Quinn's partner, Pearl, will become his latest victim. I had a difficult time finding a place to stop as the action just keeps flowing from chapter to chapter. Mister X is a satisfying read.
Vince Panone
I enjoyed the book most of the way through. The twists and turns were exciting, and kept me reading. The resolution of the story, however, left me disappointed. I like complex stories, and twists, this one just left me cold. I don't feel the twists were explained in a believable way, and that the sharp detectives would miss what was under their nose the whole time.
Debbie
i have read 2 in this series - not that impressed. The main character, Frank Quinn, a former cop/detective and his team of former cops -now private investigators. Quinn is supposed to be a super cop but in the two I read he is in the background and just there - I didn't get his importance and the rest of his team..especially the woman - boring and trite.
Alex Arth
A serial killer has been quiet for 5 years. The twin sister of one of the victims hires a detective agency to find her sister's killer. The murders suddenly begin again. As the detectives work on the case, there are numerous plot twists and a smattering of humor that keep the reader involved. It was a very enjoyable book.
Jean Christofferson
The storyline is imaginative and the characters are interesting, but there are too much going on and the plot gets difficult to follow near the end. Could have been better if a few of the characters were eliminated. Why did we need the storyline about Pearl getting engaged to Yancy? We didn't.
Nicole Fall
This book was not a book that I couldn't wait to pick back up. The characters were easy to figure out and predict as well as the ending. There was too much 'decorative' writing rather than 'meat and bones' to the book. However, I will consider reading another book from this author again.
dawn
I read another John Lutz book and I liked it better but he is definitley an author that I know I will enjoy his books but I always seem to forget about him. As usual, this was dark but I love the dymanic between the 3 leads. The plot was entertaining so I would always rec a Lutz book.
Kasandra
Wanted a quick thriller to read while waiting in line today. This was awful (non-believable story/plot, crappy dialogue, convoluted ending that was such b.s. I almost threw the book on the floor in disgust). Total waste of reading time. Won't be reading this guy again, that's for sure.
Luann
I must say, this was not quite as good as the previous Frank Quinn mysteries. I don't think he did as good of a job this time wrapping it up at the end. It left me with more questions about the killer - but maybe that was Lutz's goal - either way, I was unhappy with the ending.
Mayank Saboo
I pick random shit sometimes without bothering if it is an ongoing series. Frank Quinn was new to me but i simply could not handle the writing of John Lutz. He has a typical style where he mixes crime fiction with some horror to make it spicy. But it doesn't work here.
unsure what exactly happened at the end? 1 3 Sep 10, 2014 09:52AM
  • Bone Thief
  • Victim Six
  • Hotwire (Maggie O'Dell, #9)
  • Little Girl Lost (Hard Case Crime #4)
  • The Good Rat
  • They Disappeared
  • So Close the Hand of Death (Taylor Jackson, #6 )
  • Brooklyn Noir
  • Afraid To Die (To Die #4)
  • Vicious
  • Crazy
  • Acts of Mercy (Mercy Street #3)
  • Lullaby
  • Unsympathetic Magic (Esther Diamond #3)
  • Up & Out (Red Dress Ink)
  • The Burying Place (Jonathan Stride, #5)
  • A King of Infinite Space
  • Stalked (Lucy Kincaid #5)
John Lutz published his first short story in 1966 in Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine and has been publishing regularly ever since. His work includes political suspense, private eye novels, urban suspense, humor, occult, crime caper, police procedural, espionage, historical, futuristic, amateur detective--virtually every mystery sub-genre. He is the author of more than thirty-five novels and 25...more
More about John Lutz...
In for the Kill (Frank Quinn #2) Darker Than Night (Frank Quinn, #1) Serial (Frank Quinn, #6) Night Kills (Frank Quinn, #3) Urge To Kill (Frank Quinn, #4)