ChiWalking: Fitness Walking for Lifelong Health and Energy

ChiWalking: Fitness Walking for Lifelong Health and Energy

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  138 ratings  ·  38 reviews
From the authors of the bestselling ChiRunning comes a revolutionary program that blends the health benefits of walking with the core principles of Tai Chi to deliver maximum physical, mental, and spiritual fitness.
The low-impact health benefits of walking have made it one of the most popular forms of daily exercise. Yet few people experience all the benefits that walking...more
Published April 4th 2006 by Touchstone (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about ChiWalking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about ChiWalking

Lia
I wish this book were more tightly edited. It falls into the trap of emoting just long enough to lose my interest and then suddenly giving some actual information again. The information and philosophy of the book are good, and the pictures are helpful. I'll probably buy it when I move to Oregon and start walking all over the place.
Tanya
Discusses five mindful steps to developing a walking program.
1) Get aligned - develop better balance and great posture.
2) Engage your core - eliminate back and knee pain.
3) Create balance - walk faster & farther with less effort
4) Make a choice - 12 different walking programs (I really liked the matrix that describes the walking program and different benefits & cadence associated with that program (p 137), This is considered the most important step and it reflects a culmination of the p...more
Jess
Lots of fluff and exercise philosophy that doesn't contribute a lot to the methodology presented. The bones of this book though are great - good advice about posture and breathing as well as useful suggested walking routines.
Colleen O'Neill Conlan
My physical therapist friend recommended this book about a new approach to walking for fitness and well-being. The primary author (it's written with his wife) has studied and practiced T'ai Chi for many years, and brings that sensibility to walking.

I'm generally not keen on the way self-help books sound—a little chummy, a little infomercial-y—and this book is no exception in that regard. There are also some science-y sounding assertions that almost make me wonder about the truth in the rest of...more
Cinnapatty
Well, OK, I didn't finish this book. I only got half way and I had to return it to the library! I renewed my limit. Bummer. I'll have to get it again. I liked it. I learned a lot about posture and walking. A completely different way of walking, but it works! This built on what I had learned about Chi in Chi Gong and Tai Chi videos. Great stuff. It totally helped me in a solo 13 hour drive. I kept my shoulders relaxed, my weight balanced, and used the belly breathing to keep my body from seizing...more
Reuel
Because I found ChiRunning extremely beneficial, I decided to read/try ChiWalking. However, unlike ChiRunning, ChiWalking doesn't come all that naturally for me. As with ChiRunning, after I read ChiWalking I first tried out the technique on my own and then took a workshop with a certified ChiWalking trainer. I've continued to try out the technique in the four months since I read the book, and I'm getting better at it, but I still revert to my old way of walking because it's more comfortable.
Maria
Aug 07, 2011 Maria added it
I started reading Chi Running, but given my knee issues, picked this up instead. I like the focus on proper bio-mechanics and I'm attracted to the idea of turning walking/running into a mindful, meditative practice. Some of the chapters are a bit extraneous and the technique section probably requires a couple more re-reads (& possibly the DVD). Will look to incorporate some of the different focuses over time, but ultimately the benefit will come from consistency and practice.
Heather Pagano
Jun 01, 2011 Heather Pagano rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Dad
Recommended to Heather by: Brian
Shelves: walking
Good explanation of how to chi walk and how to develop a walking program. The postural and nutrition segments in the book are pretty much the same as the info contained in the chi running book. Dreyer does make the differences between chi running form and chi walking form very clear, and has lots of useful tips and tricks, as well as suggestions for how to incorporate what you've learned from chi walking into everyday life.
Martha
Inspired by my certification as a T'ai Chi: Moving for Better Balance trainer, I secured this book from the library. It gave reinforcement to my belief in this technique as well as providing new information for improving health, wellness, strength, posture, longevity, clarity and calmness. Will share with my class at St. John's..............
Andrea
Basic on the foundations of Tai Chi, this book teaches others how to move with less effort and less strain on the body. This was a very helpful for anyone who is wanting to learn how to move better, learn more about improving one's form or preventing injury.
I especially like learning more about the principles of Tai Chi.
Salam
Can't say enough about this book! Incorporating practices from Tai Chi and Chi Gong, it shows you how to make walking a truly energizing practice that unifies body and mind and grounds the walker. Learn and practice this technique to let gravity and chi do the work while you (mindfully enjoy the walk!
Megan
Jun 23, 2010 Megan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Walkers
Great information and techniques. I'll definitely be returning to this one for ideas to help my posture, breathing, and technique. Also has good ideas for different types of walks (i.e. aerobic, relaxing, cardio) which I will be returning to as I recover from a (not walking related) knee injury.
Anna
Jul 13, 2008 Anna added it
Honestly, I feel like there is much to be learned from this book, but all the tai chi stuff gets in my way. I have started applying the basic postural recommendations to my daily walks, but am finished ready the book because it's getting a little out there for my taste.
Jessie
Aug 25, 2009 Jessie added it
Great tips for walking with healthy posture and without injuring your joints, etc. But too long. Too much "live a better life" - blah, blah, blah - stuff for me. I think it could have been much more concise. But I'm practicing the Chi Walking and so far so good!
Maverick
This is an excellent book. It really addresses the importance of good posture and the correct stance for walking. It's approach to walking is to help improve fitness and avoid injuries. The hiking section was my personal favorite part of the book.
David Whitesell
Liked it just as much as the first time I read it. This time, I read it and listened to it while I am training to walk a marathon. Really makes it easier to walk long distances with minimal exertion.
Rochelle
May 31, 2009 Rochelle is currently reading it
Have read through the basic idea, but haven't got to the chapters on the specifics. Had to return it to the library, but maybe I'll try to find it at Powell's. They also wrote Chi Running
Kim
Jan 13, 2010 Kim marked it as to-read
Well, I'm not CURRENTLY reading this, but I need to see what bookmark I've got in it (around page 65). Sometimes I remember to lean a little bit forward when I walk. That's when I walk.
Sara
Jul 13, 2008 Sara rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Valerie and her "girls"
A mindful method of walking that not only eliminates injuries but creates energy and health and teaches how to focus your mind and bring in chi. A great book for all walkers.
Danika
Apr 17, 2012 Danika marked it as to-read
I'm less interested in this book than in the ChiRunning book. So when I needed to return this one before my interstate jaunt at Easter, I didn't bother to renew it.
Marcia
Think of the 3 stars as a starting point here. I've only toyed with the methods in the book a little bit so far. So the book gets 3/5 but the technique may rank higher.
Muriel McLemore
Excellent instruction to improve walking technique and make it easier to walk long distances. I am hoping that it will help me with my half-marathon.
Anne
Feb 25, 2011 Anne added it
Shelves: gave-up
I skimmed it and think it's a good concept but because it's a library book then it wouldn't be easy to practice the techniques at this time.
Anjuli
I'm waiting to get chiRunning from the library...and in the meantime, chiWalking is excellent. It makes me long to go hiking every day.
Jacob Cruzan
This book has a lot of good information about posture and using your energy efficiently. I would recommend it.
Suki
Very similar to ChiRunning so I didn't read it word for word. I liked the bits about hiking especially.
Alan
Use your hips. I'm working on it, ordered a metronome to get some feedback on steps, as I do with rows.
Laurie
Great ideas for walking, but I had a hard time transferring them from the paper into action.
Beth Hogan
This may have been me, more of a show me girl to learn! I was challenged to understand reading it.
Alic
Fae gave me this for my birthday, I'll keep you posted. She swears by Chi Running....
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
ChiRunning: A Revolutionary Approach to Effortless, Injury-Free Running Chi Marathon: The Breakthrough Natural Running Program for a Pain-Free Half Marathon and Marathon ChiRunning Pain-free Beginner Marathon Training Program (Marathon Programs) Chi Running Injury-free Intermediate 10K Training Program ChiWalking Workbook: Your Step-by-Step, 8 Week Instructional Guide to Developing a ChiWalking Program (Your Step-by-Step, 8 Week Guide to Developing a ChiWalking Program)