Start by marking “Giants (Lost Civilization, #1)” as Want to Read:
Giants (Lost Civilization, #1)

Giants (Lost Civilization #1)

The Nephilim had a plan. They would storm Eden, defeat the guardian Cherub with his flaming sword and eat from the Tree of Life. Then they would rule the Earth as immortal gods.

First, they needed armor to resist the flaming sword. Second, they needed a weapon to kill an angel. And third, they had to forge a champion capable of this feat. Their quest could unleash terrible
Published June 30th 2010

To ask other readers questions about Giants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Giants

Jason
Dec 31, 2016 Jason rated it it was amazing

4.5 Stars

Giants by Vaughn Heppner is a fantastic book one and start to what I am sure will be a wonderful series. I dove into this head first as it is tailor made for my likes and favorites. With this being the busy holiday season Giants was the perfect type of read for me.

Giants, book one in the Lost Civilization series is a fantasy that will appeal to a wide audience. This new book would be appropriate for the older young adult crowd. I will summarize this review with my 5 reasons why you too
Mike (the Paladin)
Well...okay. This is the first book by Vaughn Heppner I haven't really cared for.

Writing an alternate history based on a few verses from the book of Genesis we look at a world before the Biblical flood where a race of giants and mythical beasts threaten humans. Many people hold to the scanty evidence from these verses to build a narrative. I'm not taking a stand on any of that here. As a matter of fact it could make an extremely interesting story. The problem here is the style of story telling M
Melinda
Apr 28, 2012 Melinda rated it it was amazing
What a book. I started it this on the recommendation of a friend, and after page one, I was completely lost in the story of Joash and his companions. Heppner has a marvellous way of bring a story to life, and he does this through the narration of Joash, who must be a young adult. In a world set in the very distant past, where teradactyls fly and mammoths roam, the fallout from the war in Heaven has reached mankind in a physical and evil way. When the Nephilim were kicked out of Heaven for defyin ...more
Mike Nemeth
May 16, 2014 Mike Nemeth rated it really liked it
"Giants" launches Vaughn Heppner's Lost Civilizations series, a boisterous series of tales of early semi civilization that chronicles man's battles with the demonic spawn of fallen angels. The legend is that the bene elohim parted from their celestial brethren, took on forms of flesh and came to earth. However, there they were trapped. They reveled in excess, taking wives and spawning a new generation, the first born. Evil beyond measure possessed this band and its progeny. Humans were considere ...more
Tim Chaffey
Feb 18, 2012 Tim Chaffey rated it really liked it
I read the Kindle version of this one, which was a real bargain at $.99. There are more books in the series that I will probably read when I finish my own writing projects.
The author is quite creative and a good story teller. The book would have benefited from a strong editor - not that the story contained a bunch of typos and grammar errors (it didn't), but there are certain standards in writing fiction that would have made this tale even better.
As a theologian and someone who has devoted muc
Chase
Jan 08, 2014 Chase rated it it was ok
A story about Giants and other mythical creatures with various bible features intertwined (premise take from mention of giants: genesis 6:4 "There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.")

The beginning sure is catching, but then the next 7 or 8 chapters were quite dull. Middle is exciting, as well as the end. However the end is
Beth
Jan 21, 2016 Beth rated it really liked it
The first book in a series set well before history in a semi-Biblical time where there were "giants on the earth in those days" and the angels of God, who rebelled before time, have set their mark on the earth and mankind tries its best to keep the evil at bay.
A former slave, who is picked up and rescued and put into service with a group of warriors, proves to have more resources than is evident at first, when there is a move made to trick some of his superiors into a highly dangerous move.
Excit
Christine
Feb 23, 2011 Christine rated it liked it
For anyone who ever grew up hearing the stories of giants and behemoths in the Bible, this is a great read. Author Vaughn Heppner took all those Biblical stories and put them together in a way that becomes a fascinating adventure story. Even though it drags out a bit in the middle, it's a great read. Even if you are not a "believer", this book---1st in a series of 4---is worth the time. And more than that, it's not a real long book, so it's also a pretty quick read.
Arwen
Feb 10, 2015 Arwen rated it really liked it
A book from the Kindle Lending Library, set in post Eden/pre-Flood Biblical earth. Vaughn Heppner spins a very interesting tale of a war between Nephilim (and their Giant decedents) and Seraphim (men who are chosen to fight on the side of good.) Its a completely unique setting for a fantasy story, weaving ancient history and Biblical references together. This first book barely dips its toe into the world of Giants.
Sonja
Feb 09, 2015 Sonja rated it it was amazing
Hard to get into.... but worth sticking it out.

I almost gave up twice in the first few chapters... character development was worth it in the end. Interesting storyline... Joash is developing into hero material and it's fascinating exploring his thoughts about the people and various species with whom he is forced to interact. I'll be downloading the next book in this series to see how he develops.
Clareece
Feb 13, 2016 Clareece rated it it was amazing
Fascinating

Always been fascinated by giants. Very little is known or written about them, even the Bible mentions them briefly. I know that this book was fiction but it's a very good book. Exciting and full of characters that you love or hate . I have the next one and can't wait to get started on it. I would recommend this book because it's very well written and entertaining. The characters come to life.
Angela England
Apr 08, 2012 Angela England rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-lending
I love alternate-explanation type books so I was already biased to enjoy this book from the start. The treatment of the nephilom was really nice and I love that each one has a unique strength. The hero is a poor orphaned lad and a skinny little one, a la David and Goliath. Entertaining enough that I bought the full series, the first book in particular doesn't feel like a stand alone novel, but feels like an introduction.
Mr.roy
Sep 13, 2014 Mr.roy rated it it was amazing
Really awesome book, if you're into biblical mythology you'll love this book.Giants, nephelim, good vs evil. This is just the kind of book that I love to read, you should definitely give it a read. It has a great story and characters that you'll get attached to. It's a good read with a lot of action.
Sam Thompson
Jul 27, 2015 Sam Thompson rated it it was amazing
A short read, with a somewhat minimal writing style. I find this works to great advantage, as it makes for an incredibly exciting adventure story, comprised of only the good parts. Most of the characters are fairly weak so far, with little dialogue or backstory, but you won't mind that much as they're dodging saber tooth tigers and giants and curses of old.
Jim Kratzok
I hesitantly began reading this book knowing it was based somewhat loosely on biblical accounts of giants and seraphim and whatnot. When the first scene had a pterodactyl in it and saber tooth tigers in the next, I almost gave up. The story was ok but just not for me.

I won't be reading the rest of the series.
Don Taylor
Feb 06, 2016 Don Taylor rated it it was amazing
An Intriguing Tale Fleshing Out Genesis 6

Vaughn has found an interesting genre: tales of heroic struggle by God-fearing humans struggling in His name against evil creatures described in Genesis 6, the bene elohim and their spawn, the nephilim, and their spawn in turn.
Thanks Vaughn for a well-written tale tied in with Biblical reference!
Jim Callahan
Mar 07, 2011 Jim Callahan rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy

Wish I could give it 2.5 stars

Good enough that I got the second one. Interesting concept, people were hear before the great flood (and it's called out in one of the chapters)

Not good enough that I'd read it again tho.
Felix Marwick
Mar 31, 2012 Felix Marwick rated it did not like it
Utter crap. If something is very cheap on kindle and is not a classic then there's a very good reason for it. The style is basic, the plot, simplistic, and the dialogue painful.

Granted the concept is interesting but the author fails to deliver on it.
D
May 24, 2015 D rated it it was amazing
A fantastic adventure in a world that has so much promisse it is a breathtaking experience to read this book.
I think Giants is the best book by far in the Lost Civilizations saga. Because it shows a world you will want to "read only one more page" to learn a little bit more of it
Campbell, c
Apr 13, 2015 Campbell, c rated it it was amazing
The beginning of war against the giants!

If Biblical accounts of Nephillim and giants stir your imagination about those days of old this book will expand that image. Not based on any factual details it weaves a web of intrigue. Captivating!
John Burch
Mar 26, 2013 John Burch rated it it was amazing
this series hooked me from this book all the way to the end!
Becktemba Kazemde
Dec 28, 2011 Becktemba Kazemde rated it really liked it
Interesting read, especially those who are familiar with the Bible
Teri Orthwein
Aug 25, 2015 Teri Orthwein rated it it was amazing
Excellent

What an imaginative mind to get the stories in these books, and sprinkled with lessons from the bible incredible story
Jason
Sep 30, 2012 Jason rated it it was ok
Imaginative story, but just struggled to get through it. Undecided as to whether I will continue with the series.
William P.
Jun 05, 2011 William P. rated it it was amazing
This definitely one of the MUST READ series! I have read all of the Lost Civilization series and they are fantastic!
John Kidder
John Kidder rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2014
Jacob Townsend
Jacob Townsend rated it did not like it
May 15, 2014
Mikos Myers
Mikos Myers rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2014
Steve
Steve rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2014
Jeremy's Fire
Jeremy's Fire rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2014
  • City of Rogues (The Kobalos Trilogy, #1)
  • Travellers' Rest (Morlock Ambosius, #0.5)
  • The Waters of Eternity (The Chronicles of Sword and Sand, #1.5)
  • Gilgamesh Immortal (Chronicles of the Nephilim, #3)
  • The Celestial Selenite Scry (The Moon God Trilogy, #1)
  • I, Claudia: A Tale of Pontius Pilate
  • Esther's Song
  • Risen
  • Dark Tidings (Ancient magic meets the Internet #1)
  • Death Wishing
  • Amber Magic (Haven, #1)
  • Stealer of Flesh
  • Maximus
  • Reign: The Chronicles Of Queen Jezebel (Lost Loves of the Bible #3)
  • The Black God's War (Splendor and Ruin, #0.5)
  • The Diaries Of Pontius Pilate (Fellowship of the Essentials, #1)
  • The Revealing: The Time Is Now (The Nephilim Trilogy #3)
  • Scriber
You can visit Vaughn at www.vaughnheppner.com

I was born in Canada and remember as a small boy crawling in my snow-fort. I closed my eyes, and when I tried to open them, they were frozen shut. I didn't panic, but wiped away the ice crystals, unglued my eyes and kept on building my tunnel. Those were great days! I moved to Central California before seventh grade and couldn't believe I lived in a lan
More about Vaughn Heppner...

Lost Civilization (7 books)
  • Leviathan (Lost Civilization, #2)
  • The Tree Of Life (Lost Civilization, #3)
  • Gog (Lost Civilization, #4)
  • Behemoth (Lost Civilization, #5)
  • The Lod Saga (Lost Civilizations, #6)
  • Lod the Galley Slave (Lost Civilizations, #7)