Start by marking “Alpha Rising” as Want to Read:
Alpha Rising

Alpha Rising

A failed space rescue mission lands astronaut Bach Turner in a beleaguered future world where history repeats itself, future events cast shadows, and abduction, deceit, seduction and hedonism fuel an allegorical battle of good and evil. With no way out short of blind faith and the ultimate weapon, his mind, Turner embarks on a final mission that fulfills prophecy.

Alpha Ris
Published (first published April 15th 2007)

Robert
May 17, 2013 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alpha Rising:

I am an avid science fiction fan and enjoy all the various sub-genres, however this retelling of the Noah’s Arc story did not do it for me. It is a noble effort by a first time author, but ultimately it falls short. If this story was targeted at middle school readers, except for a few words above their vocabulary level, this story would work. If it is targeted at adults, it is not enough.

Bach, the main character, comes off as stodgy and wooden. The pun on his name and the band Bachm
Gerry Rzeppa
Aug 06, 2008 Gerry Rzeppa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An Impressive First Work

Douglas is, without a doubt, a talented writer. Her prose is consistently high-quality, with more than a few excursions into the inspired. "Deni was first to exchange despair for resolve", for example. Sweet.

And it should be noted that a novel of this scope is a huge undertaking - especially the first time out. The fact that Douglas was able to maintain a consistent style and feel from beginning to end is greatly to her credit. Not to mention keeping all those facts stra
Chris
Mar 27, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this is definitely a Christian book, I did not find it pretentious or over-handed in its approach. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The only problem I had was that the characters didn't seem to react normally to their circumstances. They tended to adjust very quickly to things that would normally take much more time to adjust to. For example, being separated from everyone you know and being stranded in an alien civilization that nobody knew existed and then simply having dinner with them as if noth
Carly English
Jun 15, 2008 Carly English rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Excellent for Young Adults to Seniors
This unique and fascinating tale could very well set the stage for copycat novels in the future. The blend of philosophical, scriptural and esoteric events play out perfectly in the hands of entertaining, well-written, engaging characters that endure the impossible and conquer the foe with their only weapon, the mind, as they deliver the story to a fantastic, fulfilling conclusion. G.L. Douglas made me think, feel and believe what she'd written might just happen some time in the future. Alpha Ri ...more
Steven
May 12, 2014 Steven rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
The behavior of the main characters are too implausible at times. After barely landing safely in a blinding snowstorm they leave their spaceship and cannot see more than a few feet. The tension of the situation is shattered when they have a snowball fight. At another tense moment they stop to... have a picnic. If the characters don't take it seriously when they are in life threatening situations how can the reader?
Christopher Long
I'm not personally big on fiction -- especially science fiction. However, this one came highly recommended to me by a close friend. Simply put, I was pleasantly surprised. G.L. Douglas tells a vivid, futuristic story filled with fascinating and compelling characters which hooked me from the beginning. Her attention to detail made me feel as if I were actually onboard the Astro-Lab, headed for Urusa! An entertaining read from start to finish.
Hilary
Nov 15, 2012 Hilary rated it liked it
Shelves: christian-fiction, sf
I really wanted to give this 4 stars. There is an incredible mix of fantastical adventure and hard SF with a tinge of faith, but somehow it doesn't quite gel for me. (view spoiler) I had fun reading it.
Sherry
Jan 16, 2012 Sherry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
loved this book - never thought I'd find a Christian Science Fiction book as well written as this. Bach and Faith are on a mission to save 4 astronauts stranded in space. during the rescue mission they end up on a planet that is divided into good and evil. The story gets interesting as Bach ends up on a Noah type mission.
Jennifer (JC-S)
Jan 26, 2008 Jennifer (JC-S) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I read this book on a whim, and I am glad I did so. A blend of science fiction and fantasy takes the reader on one of those perennial trips to save life forms from extinction. In this case, our hero (Bach Turner)has his faith in a higher power as well as some scientic tools at his disposal.

I'd rate this at 3.5 stars: escapism, adventure and hope.
Al
Mar 19, 2012 Al rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, philosophy
This book was not very well written. It should have been spread out over a series perhaps, but as it was it seemed contrived and repetitive though some of the ideas were good. A mixtures of straight sci-fi and theological commentary on man ruining things with God having a bigger plan. Recreated the Ark to save animals and mankind.
Audra
Dec 21, 2011 Audra rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandonded-dnf
This did not fulfill my expectations and to be honest I stopped reading it. I stopped reading it because I realized how similar this was to the Bible's Noah's Ark story and just don't want my science fiction mixed with religion.It was told in third person which is common.It was not as good as other books in the genre.
Hollie
Aug 13, 2011 Hollie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I came across this book just simply because I was bored & goofing around on my Kindle DX. I am very glad that I did too. I truly enjoyed this book. Everything about it had my brain turning with ideas. The best one I liked was the scent infused DNA...very cool. Hey, I'll give my body to science for that experiment.
Anissa Rajala
Jan 18, 2013 Anissa Rajala rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very thought provoking.
Bob
Bob rated it liked it
May 22, 2012
Zephyr
Zephyr rated it did not like it
Feb 18, 2016
Willa Ibach
Willa Ibach rated it did not like it
Sep 08, 2014
Ana
Ana rated it did not like it
Oct 29, 2014
A Yvonne Allred
A Yvonne Allred rated it really liked it
May 04, 2014
Hate2beLate
Hate2beLate rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2013
Stuti Bagchi
Stuti Bagchi rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2017
Dan Gilbert
Dan Gilbert rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2015
Amber
Amber rated it it was ok
Jan 30, 2015
Margaret
Margaret rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2013
Gerald Jervis
Gerald Jervis rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2015
Lindsay Winkler
Lindsay Winkler rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Tracy A Rhymer
Tracy A Rhymer rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2014
Shandie
Shandie rated it it was ok
Feb 12, 2013
G.L.
G.L. rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2010
Tara
Tara rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Draugr (Northern Frights, #1)
  • The Venom of Vipers
  • The American Book of the Dead
  • The Gods of Dream
  • Ascent (The Party Series, #1)
  • Smallworld
  • Queen of Arlin (The Cyber Chronicles, #1)
  • The Overtaking
  • Awakening (Dead Forever, #1)
  • Cathedral of Dreams
  • Lux 1.1: Seeds (Lux, #1)
  • Brimstone (Earth, Air, Fire and Water , #1)
  • Horker's Law (The Six Books of Magic, #1)
  • The Making of Legend (Cerebral Network, #1)
  • The Synthesis (Powerless, #1)
  • Beautiful Sins: Leigha Lowery  (The Thaneaddus Chronicles, #1)
  • Invisible Justice (Justice, #1)
  • The Witch's Ladder (Tony Marcella Mystery, #1)
As teachers' comments on her early report cards reflect, G.L. Douglas has always been a daydreamer soaring through space. Over the years, while she quietly contemplated what might dwell beyond the bounds of Earth, her love of science fiction and astral discoveries grew like the expanding universe, and she knew one day all her notes and musings would form the foundation for an exciting, entertainin ...more
More about G.L. Douglas...