In the Teeth of the Evidence

In the Teeth of the Evidence (Lord Peter Wimsey #14)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  2,311 ratings  ·  60 reviews
All that was left of the garage was a heap of charred and smouldering beams. In the driving seat of the burnt-out car were the remains of a body.

An accident, said the police.

An accident, said the widow. She had been warning her husband about the dangers of the car for months.

Murder, said Lord Peter Wimsey ... and proceeded to track down the killers.
Mass Market Paperback, 220 pages
Published November 1967 by Signet (first published 1939)

To ask other readers questions about In the Teeth of the Evidence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Teeth of the Evidence

Nandakishore Varma
A good mystery story is like a magic trick. We all try to find out what the secret is, but we are happy if we are defeated, and a trifle disappointed if we win. The only difference is that the mystery writer reveals her trick at the end, while the magician does not.

If a full length mystery novel is a grand illusion with all the props, the detective short is a parlour trick. The illusion is cumbersome to set up and execute, but when properly done, very effective and hard to see through: the parlo...more
Bev Hankins
Just finished up In the Teeth of the Evidence by Dorothy L Sayers. This collection represents the last bit of Sayers' fiction that I wanted to read...just so I could say I'd re-read all of her fiction this year. The collection is okay. Decent. But I don't think it represents her best work. I much prefer her earlier collections (Lord Peter Views the Body and Hangman's Holiday) and even her final stories found in Striding Folly. The writing itself isn't at fault--it's terrific as always--but the s...more
Roy
This Sayers collection is of the old school mystery stories; a crime is committed by persons unknown, the daring detective (or traveling salesman in some of these) turns up and hears the clues. Through clever trickery or astute observations, the detective figures out quickly who the culprit must be, to the surprise of all around. They're perfectly fine stories for what they are, but they read far too much like Encyclopedia Brown stories, to me. This likely comes from both having read every Encyc...more
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
I don't usually care for detective short stories, as the solutions tend to be a bit Deus Ex Machina, and the wraps a bit pat. Not even in those days could things be quite so in the groove that you could know to a second where a given person would be. To be honest, I do not care for Mr. Montague Egg and his constant fatuous quotes from the (most likely fictitious, even in his world) Salesman's Handbook. However, given the small number of Egg stories, I get the feeling Miss Sayers didn't care much...more
Dave
Rating is for the book as a whole. In addition to a few good Wimsey and Montague Egg stories, it mops up a lot of non-series stories by Sayers, all of which are well-written, but most of which are just okay. This distracts from the last three great stories--two supernatural mysteries ("The Leopard Lady" and "The Cyprian Cat"), and one of the greatest short mysteries ever written, "Suspicion." The latter has a last line I remembered from reading it for the first time thirty years ago.
Lydia Shellenbarger
A collection of short stories by Dorothy L. Sayers; all on the subject of mysteries and murder, but ranging from the almost silly misunderstandings to very dark murder plots. As with her past short story collections, Lord Peter Views the Body and Hangman's Holiday, this book has a few short stories about Lord Peter Wimsey, a few about Montague Egg and a few with no particular sleuth or recurring character.

As I commented while reading this, I wish Sayers had just released her L.P.W. short storie

Moira Fogarty
A collection of short stories that are long on eerie atmosphere but short on characterization. I enjoyed the audiobook, and feel this makes for great sequential, short-transit fare (Ian Carmichael reads beautifully) but not good single-sitting listening on something like a long, transatlantic flight. Perfect choice for October with some spooky, flesh-crawling tales. Hints of Hitchcock. Creepy felines.

The last story in the collection, "The Cyprian Cat", dips a toe into the supernatural, which is...more
Judy
A collection of 17 short stories by Dorothy L. Sayers. I generally love reading Sayres, but this book was definitely a mixed bag and was of uneven quality. Two of the stories featured Lord Peter Whimsey, five highlighted the detecting skills of traveling salesman Montague Egg, and the rest went from the amusing to the supernatural. Not my favorite volume by Dorothy L. Sayers.
Ryan
I enjoyed the Lord Peter stories because of course one does, but the rest were...not so enjoyable. Weird. Tedious and oddly creepy. I don't like Egg much - stories are all variations of the first one I read and he is just too submissively superior. Bunter can be, but he is superior and so its appropriate. The Milk Bottles Dilemma was the best non-Wimsey story and it included Hector Puncheon, a friend of Wimsey, so was also enjoyable.
Linda
I only read the Peter Wimsey stories. Maybe someday I'll go back and read the others.
Cathy Houston
Lord Peter Wimsey, Montague Egg and assortment of other short story mysteries. Good read
Reds_reads
A collection of short stories, a couple featuring Peter Wimsey, some Montague Egg, but most involving neither. Some are murder mysteries, others detective stories and a few are downright humorous or verge on melodrama.

I found them a mixed bag, some great (loved Scrawns, reminded me of Northanger Abbey), not keen on The Cyprian Cat which is the last story, but in all it was an enjoyable read as it's interesting to see Sayers playing with ideas.
Polly
A few Lord Peter stories mixed with a variety of others: the Montague Egg stories, and some one offs, several of them very creepy with at least odd and seemingly paranormal plots. Like two of the other "big four" mystery writers (Allingham and Christie are the other two) of the mid-20th century, Sayers did paranormal very well when she chose to, leaving the mysteries largely unexplained, which, if well done, is the creepiest thing of all.
Harriet
Daniel says: "Happy, why do you like mystery novels so much?" And I respond indignantly: "What are you talking about? I don't like mystery novels that much!" and then I look at the books I have been reading and realize that maybe I do. And why? I have no idea. I fed Daniel some rigamarole about how I enjoy the puzzle aspect of them, but I expect it's actually just cause they tend to be englishy and their plots don't center on feelings.
Becca
This was a really enjoyable collection of Dorothy Sayers stories. There were a few Peter Wimsey stories, a few detective stories featuring a traveling salesman named Montague Egg, who likes to end his summations with clever quotes from the Salesman's Handbook. The other stories departed from the detective genre, playing with humor, suspense and the supernatural. I really enjoyed them. I want to find more of her short fiction.
Andrea Hickman Walker
This is a set of short stories. The first two, featuring Lord Peter Wimsey are pretty good. The next five or six feature a travelling salesman named Montague Egg. They're enjoyable but nothing special. The rest of them feature no one in particular and are frequently nothing more than misdirection masquerading as a mystery. It was a fun, quick read, but not something I'd recommend.
Barb
I picked up this 1952 compilation of 17 short mysteries by a true master of the form, Dorothy Sayers, at a second hand sale, thinking it was one novel. I generally don't read shot stories, but since I had it…. Because of the scope and variety of story plots, cleverness, and high standard of writing I was pleasantly surprised with each and every one of these little gems.
Travis
Nice collection of mystery short stories from Dorothy Sayers.
Much as I love Peter Whimsey, the stories featuring him were pretty lukewarm.

I enjoyed the ones featuring Montague Egg, the intrepid traveling wine and spirits salesmen.
The story featuring the self centered mystery writer and his enamored secretary was very cute and I would have loved to have seen a sequel.
Jeremy Preacher
Charming mystery stories from a variety of characters. I picked this up after reading a long discussion about Lord Peter Wimsey's love life - I can't say I'm that invested after reading three short stories about him, but I'd happily read more. Her other stories, both the traveling-salesman ones and the one-offs, were as good or better. Fun stuff all the way around.
Matthew Mitchell
Sayers is at her best when she's writing Lord Peter stories. This only includes 2 of those and then all 5 of the Monty Egg stories which are fun but not the same quality. Her other short stories are crisply written but not nearly as wonderful and layered. Still, if you love Sayers, you'll read this one with pleasure.
Nancy
The version I read of this short story colection was published in 1995 by HarperPaperbacks and had 265 pages, so I may have had an extra story or two.

It is unusual to read a collection of short stories where almost every one is good. In this batch, I particularly enjoyed the Montague Egg ones.
Sarah Merrill
Meh. Not my favorite Sayers ever.
Cameron Smith
I personally think that the "one-offs" are some of the best short stories I've ever read. Sayers is a master at bringing humor or horror to some of these stories and it's great. From someone who usually dislikes short stories, I highly recommend the stories without Wimsey or Egg.
Deb
I have read these before, but reread them yesterday. There is but one Peter Wimsey tale in the book, so don't be fooled. The rating is based not on what a new reader would think of the book today, but on how a reader would have reacted when they were first published...
Emily
Sadly, Dorothy Sayers seems to be abysmal at short story writing. I braved through 3 of the stories before chucking the book. They all feel like first drafts or character studies and none of them have the distinctive dialogue or wit of her full blown novels.
Joseph
Sorry, but to call this part of the "Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries" is false advertising, IMHO. It's a collection of Sayers short stories, only a few of which feature his lordship. Not up to the standards set by the novels, I regret to say.
Annalies
The title's misleading...this is a collection of short stories and only 2 feature lord Peter. Other than that, a good collection of short stories although I confess I did not read them all, not being a huge fan of short stories.
Patrick\
A couple of Wimseys, a half dozen of Montague Egg and appropriate aphorisms from his Salesmans Handbook. "Don't let a sudden question rout you, but always keep your wits about you." The consumate salesman-crime-solver.
James Webster
Very fine crime short stories. I particularly enjoyed the stories where the "detective's" reading of the clues point almost diametrically from the truth and the final denouement is, nearly always, amusing.
ghostlibrarian
I love the Dorothy Sayers murder mysteries and regret that there aren't more to read. It's been a long time since I read these. Maybe I need to pull them out again one of these days.
  • A Presumption of Death (Lord Peter Wimsey/Harriet Vane #2)
  • When in Rome (Roderick Alleyn, #26)
  • To Love and Be Wise (Inspector Alan Grant #4)
  • Death of a Ghost (Albert Campion Mystery #6)
Dorothy Leigh Sayers (Oxford, 13 June 1893 – Witham, 17 December 1957) was a renowned British author, translator, student of classical and modern languages, and Christian humanist.

Dorothy L. Sayers is best known for her mysteries, a series of novels and short stories set between World War I and World War II that feature English aristocrat and amateur sleuth Lord Peter Wimsey. However, Sayers herse...more
More about Dorothy L. Sayers...
Whose Body?  (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #1) Strong Poison (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #6) Unnatural Death (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #3) Murder Must Advertise  (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #10) Gaudy Night (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #12)