Start by marking “The Warrior Generals: Winning the British Civil Wars” as Want to Read:
The Warrior Generals: Winning the British Civil Wars

The Warrior Generals: Winning the British Civil Wars

liked it 3.0  ·  Rating Details ·  3 Ratings  ·  2 Reviews
In this bold history of the men who directed and determined the outcome of the mid-seventeenth-century British wars—from Cromwell, Fairfax, and Essex to many more lesser-known figures—military historian Malcolm Wanklyn offers the first assessment of leadership and the importance of command in the civil wars.
Published (first published June 7th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Warrior Generals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Warrior Generals

Peter Dunn
Apr 12, 2016 Peter Dunn rated it liked it
From the tile of this book I was expecting a biographical based analysis or contrast of the various generals on all sides of the British Civil Wars, however that is not what we get.

Instead what we are presented with is pretty much a blow by blow sequential account of the military encounters in the Civil Wars, which then tries to shoehorn in a focus on individual generals and their abilities as it goes along.

I say “Civil Wars” plural and the book’s subtitle talks about the “British Civil Wars”
Ari
Jan 22, 2012 Ari rated it it was ok
This book tries to be a study of the military leadership on all sides of the English civil wars. Unfortunately, you can't really do that without giving a history of the wars. And the author is trying to do too much in the space available, so the narrative is confusing at times. Also it's clearly written for a British audience -- I found it hard to visualize the movements involved, since he often references locations by county -- "the army moved across into Yorkshire". The county lines aren't on ...more
Rhiannon
Rhiannon rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2011
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2011