Start by marking “The Star King (Star, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Star King (Star, #1)

The Star King (Star #1)

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  923 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
When Lieutenant Jasmine Boswell and alien trader Rom seek each other's aid in a vision after suffering injuries in separate tragedies, the two find each other after twenty years and rekindle a passionate attraction.
Mass Market Paperback, 358 pages
Published December 1st 2000 by Love Spell (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Star King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Star King

Games of Command by Linnea SinclairCatori's Worlds by Murielle CyrThis Changes Everything by Sally EmberFinders Keepers by Linnea SinclairGabriel's Ghost by Linnea Sinclair
SFR/Sci-fi/Futuristic Romances that are NOT Erotica
91st out of 327 books — 154 voters
The Golden Dynasty by Kristen AshleyWildest Dreams by Kristen AshleySuddenly Royal by Nichole ChaseDark Lover by J.R. WardFantastical by Kristen Ashley
Royalty In Romance
112th out of 206 books — 318 voters

More lists with this book...

Lizzy
Dec 08, 2015 Lizzy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
** 3.5 stars **
It all started with a dream... When Jasmine fell from the skies as her F-16 was derailed by ‘friendly fire’, she dreamed of an unfamiliar world and of a golden-eyed stranger. They linked in this surreal mirage, and Rom visioned an Angel that saved him to later be abandoned alone to his fate.

I just revisited Susan Grant's Star King, and enjoyed all over again this book that starts with force and continues with a journey to a faraway galaxy, in a nice balance of romance, adventu
Monique Atgood
Feb 23, 2013 Monique Atgood rated it it was amazing
This is the very first science fiction romance novel I ever read. It is my favorite of all time. I pulled it out and re-read it last week, and thought what a great movie this would make.

SYNOPSIS:
Aliens contact Earth. Only they aren’t aliens. They’re men like us. Turns out, there’s a galaxy wide peaceful stable society. Earth is so far away, we went unnoticed. The aliens are eager to open trade with Earth. After the initial shock, they are allowed to land and commence trade negotiations.

Jasmine i
Kathrynn
Dec 01, 2008 Kathrynn rated it really liked it
I'd forgotten all about this book and while working on this author's books remembered it. Neat book. Sci-fi with heroine as a fighter pilot that crashes and she "sees" the hero in dream-like state. She helps him and they form a relationship via mind only. He then comes looking for her in real life. I enjoyed it and it's been a long time since I read it, hope I got the details correct.
Tara van Beurden
Feb 16, 2011 Tara van Beurden rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-read-2011, own
This is the first in the trilogy that Grant wrote before her Otherworldly Men series (which I read last year) and whilst this was still an enjoyable space romp (and I love me some space romping!) the inspiration for the later series was starkly obvious. The religion used as the basis for society in the Otherworldly Men universe is an evolved version of the one used in this trilogy as is the fact that the religion is used in the manner it is. Moreover, the personas of many of the characters bear ...more
Lover of Romance
Jasmine, on her fighter jet, crashes down and then she sees a man..a stranger one who is compelling and becomes forever in her memory. Since then, Jas has never been satisfied with her relationships, for she is always looking back to him whose memory has been burned in her mind forever. Rom, once a heir of the B'kah, is looking for adventure and the one woman who has haunted him day and night. Now he is planning on finding her, even if its in a remote system and in the 'frontier' no less. Jasmin ...more
Kathy Davie
Good story. Needs to take more time with development of her character interactions. She could build in such great tensions between her characters and instead it’s almost like she’s sticking to the barebones of the outline.
Ana Maria
Aug 22, 2014 Ana Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Aquellos que quieran viajar y enamorarse por las estrellas
Lei este libro hace tiempo. A España apenas habia llegado nada con romance y cifi, si habia llegado algo que podia catalogarse como "romance cifi" que era la Rosa Cuantica y Inversion primaria, pero ambos libros estaban editados como simplemente de CIFI y estaban casi descatalogados, me costo mucho encontrarlos.

Asi pues este fue el primer libro que lei de este genero, estaba muy emocionada, queria ver que podia ofrecerme la autora, algo que no fuera demasiado "raro" pero que fuera interesante d
Sandra
Jan 24, 2011 Sandra rated it liked it
Shelves: own, sci-fi, romance
I gave this one 3.5*. I would've given 4* but it was just a bit too cheesy.

Definitely cheesy, but also fun, in a save the universe kind of way.

Our heroine, Jasmine is a fighter pilot over Saudi when she is hit by friendly fire, crashes and blacks out - to dream of - our hero, is Rom B'kah, heir to the known universe, who is also in a starfighter that crashes on a far off world and who watches his brother die. He also dreams of her, 'his Angel'.

Nineteen years later - they meet when Earth is visit
Mary Dallenbach
May 08, 2015 Mary Dallenbach rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. Its hard to find good Sci Fi romance. I think this was was really well done. Sci Fi romance usually takes us into the future. The idea that extraterrestrials visit us in modern times was fun. I liked that Grant weaved a story that takes place in our modern time and also takes us to other worlds. Jaz was a great character. She was well grounded and focused as you would imagine a mature woman to be. She had a painful past but it didn't define her it made her stronger. I c ...more
Lakisha
Disclaimer: I got this book from the public library and have received no compensation from the author or publisher for this honest review.

So, I've been doing mostly paranormal reads and thought it prudent to vary up my reading diet with other types of romances.

I've not found that many good science fiction romances, but I'd heard that Ms. Grant was really good at the genre so I picked up this title and decided to give her a shot.

I'm glad that I did. This book started with a literal bang and maint
Anneliese
Feb 08, 2009 Anneliese rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi, romance
This is a book that has been on my to-read shelf for a really long time. So long, that I decided that I was finally going to get around to reading it. I have to say, I think I built this book up to be more than it was. I was a little disappointed in the world building. I think I'll give another in this series a chance but not anytime soon.
Brandifer
Sep 16, 2011 Brandifer rated it really liked it
This book is exactly what it looks like: junk food for the brain. As junk food goes, it was top tier - a 3-scoop banana split with a ton of whipped cream. MMMMMMMM yummy! :)
Carrie
Jun 10, 2010 Carrie rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2010, sci-fi-rom
3.5* An enjoyable book, but with average plotting and characterization. The romance was steamy and well-written. I'll definitely read the next one in the series.
Anna
Sep 20, 2013 Anna rated it liked it
I think I re-read this book again. So all in all it was sort of forgetable. It wasn't bad, just not excellent.
Anett
Oct 23, 2013 Anett rated it it was amazing
A great and believable space story. I have to read the next one now. Up, up and away.... ;-)
SheLove2Read
Jun 07, 2013 SheLove2Read marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Nothing wrong with what I did read. Just not holding my interest.
C.J.
Oct 26, 2013 C.J. rated it liked it
Good story. It was slow to start but happy with the ending.
Maura
Shannon
Dec 26, 2007 Shannon rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: lovers of sci-fi romance
I enjoyed this and will definitely be reading the other books set in this universe. Susan Grant manages to convey a depth of feeling in her writing, and her books contain an element of humor that really works for me. It's also obvious that Grant knows what she's talking about regarding being in the Air Force. I'm not sure if she actually was, though I think I read that this is, in fact, true.

The characters here are for the most part good. I liked that Jasmine is a little older than your average
Austin Myers
Aug 04, 2015 Austin Myers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I completely enjoyed it

There were a couple of points in the sex scenes I skipped through but I really liked the story. My wife has a take it or leave it attitude for sci-fi but she loved this story.

The author understands that a story has a beginning, middle, and end when most are worried about how long they can drag it out to force readers to buy the next installment. WELL DONE!!!
AE
Dec 14, 2014 AE rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, science-fiction
I liked this book, but it was underwhelming. I expected to be more involved. The plot wasn't out of this world amazing, nor was the romance. Yet, both had the possibilities for more.

Disappointed in what could have been almost made this a two star, but I gave it a fair three. It wasn't bad, I liked it, but it wasn't really a great sci-fi or romance.
Gmc
Mar 04, 2014 Gmc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Star King - Star, Bk 1 by Susan Grant

Jasmine "Jas" Hamilton and a man a galaxy away share a near death out-of-body experience, when she is shot down over the the Arabian desert, and on a different world Rom B'kah is hit by shrapnel from his brothers downed ship.

No one believes him about his angel, and the people in her world don't believe her either.

Leslie
Nov 14, 2010 Leslie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-romance
I decided to read Susan Grant's Star Trilogy (The Star King, The Star Prince and the Star Princess) as a long single novel since each novel basically flows into the other with characters introduced in the first book eventually finding love in either of the next two.

Overall I have enjoyed Ms. Grants' books, which always seem to mix romance and science fiction in a highly readable way. These three stories did not disappoint and I would recommend them to any one who enjoys a solid love story that
Natalya
Aug 30, 2014 Natalya rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned, nook
Having really enjoyed Moonstruck and Sureblood, and being a fan of Grant's writing style, I keep trying to find other great books by her. Alas, this is not the one, I got as far as the giant snails scene and then just couldn't do it anymore, nope, it just wasn't going to get better.
Anna
Aug 23, 2015 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This was an interesting book. It started with a bang, but the late middle sagged perilously. Still, it was lots of fun in a Star Wars way and with an intriguing main character. I'll probably move on to book two after a palate cleanser in another genre.
Kristi Davis
Jan 13, 2016 Kristi Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. What an awesome premise, I hope that is how aliens come to our planet! Honestly! haha :) But it was great. I want to keep reading more of this world.
Gmc
Jan 02, 2014 Gmc rated it really liked it
The Star King by Susan Grant
Romlijhian B'kah is the Vash catain of the space ship Quillie, and the disinherited son of the King of the Vash Nadah.
Jasmine Hamilton is an Air Force pilot, and earth artist. She is shot down by friendly fire on earth, while he is light years away being shot down by his enemy. They both are near death, and there minds touch across light-years. And so the story beings.
Nicola
Aug 04, 2015 Nicola rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet romance.
Sindy Sg
Although I liked this story very much, it left me confused. So many questions unanswered! I feel like this story had potential but the author chose to rush things. I still don't understand Jas and Rom's first encounter. Exactly why or how it took place. I kept hoping that her twins were his from that first encounter. So sad that Rom didn't have any children. I kept hoping for a miracle. This book just didn't do it for me. Through out the book I was anticipating events but unfortunately NOTHING h ...more
Brittany
Nov 18, 2013 Brittany rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
One of the things that I have come to love about Goodreads is how reading one book leads you to another then another. This was from a recommendation for similar books to "An Accidental goddess" and I am so glad I decided to take a chance and get this book. It was such a thrilling, fun ride. I loved everything about it. Not sure if I will read more of the series just because I am not a huge sci-fi person but for a brief jaunt into something different it was so much fun!!
  • Unmasked (UN-Forgettable, #4)
  • The Power of Two (2176, #4)
  • Shades of Dark (Dock Five Universe, #2)
  • Day of Fire (2176, #2)
  • Close Encounters (Alien Affairs, #1)
  • The Shadow Runners (2176 Series, #3)
  • Heart Duel (Celta's Heartmates, #3)
  • Shielder (Shielder, #1)
  • The Ultimatum (Rystani #3)
Hello! I’m Susan Grant, a RITA award winning, bestselling author. For more than ten years I wrote my unique science fiction/romance “hybrids” (SFR) in the land of traditional N.Y. publishing. Then, disenchanted by the many rules, I walked away from it all.

Six years later I emerged into a massively changed literary world where being an independent author was a real thing. My first books written as
More about Susan Grant...

Star (4 books)
  • The Star Queen (Star, #0.5)
  • The Star Prince (Star, #2)
  • The Star Princess (Star, #3)