Start by marking “Marriage and Morals” as Want to Read:
Marriage and Morals

Marriage and Morals

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  670 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
Russell's approach to sex and love is based on the realities of need and desire, rather than on ancient tribal and religious taboos. Marriage and Morals is a clear, unbiased look at morality, a morality that is simply one aspect of Russell's lifelong opposition to restrictive dogma and an affirmation of his unshakeable faith in the adequacy of man and the power of human in ...more
Published March 17th 1970 by Liveright (first published January 1st 1929)

To ask other readers questions about Marriage and Morals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marriage and Morals

Ankur
Oct 01, 2012 Ankur rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
YOU ARE NOT ALONE!
As i started reading this 1929 masterpiece from the great Bertrand Russell, this line just kept repeating itself in my brain in a loop!
Ever since i was a teenager, i hv often wondered how come guilt and pleasure are strongly associated in our society – almost everything that gives you pleasure, is a taboo! Leave alone Sexual thoughts (and thoughts were all we can have), even mundane things like talking to friends (wasting time), eating non-veg/chocolates/etc, drinking or even s
Elham
Jul 12, 2015 Elham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: feminism, essay
I knew Bertrand Russell first through his autobiography and then some of his essays and Religion and science. This book I think had probably a revolutionary effect in its own time when there were still so many cumbersome laws for marriage, divorce and sexual affairs in Europe and USA. Laws which were fundamentally based on religious superstitions where it was so difficult to change the law unless as Russell says himself those who are now old or middle-aged have died.

The book starts with a histo
Cemre
Jan 08, 2016 Cemre rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Sonunda bitirdim. Kendimi zorlamasam herhalde dört beş gün daha elimde sürünürdü. Durum sürekli belirttiğim gibi çeviri ile alakalı. 1963'te basılmış olması bir sebep olamaz, daha eski tarihte basılan kitapları da okudum ve hiç bu türlü şeylerle karşılaşmadım. Çeviren ne İngilizce ne de Türkçe biliyormuş gibi hissettim, açık söyleyeyim. Mesela "sex", İngilizce'de birden çok anlama sahip. Bir cinsiyet anlamına gelebiliyor bir de cinsel birliktelik. Çeviren, kitap boyunca cinsel birliktelik anlamı ...more
Forrest
Jan 06, 2009 Forrest rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Thinkers
Bertrand Russell rocks. The man was one of the last Renaissance men, and this book, written in the late 1920's, addresses the same set of issues that present themselves to society today, many still unresolved.

I'm not sure that I agree with everything that Russell says in all his writings, but as an observer, critic, analyzer, he has few equals and the lucid manner of his writing makes the reader feel smart.

Marriage and Morals addresses marriage as an institution as well as a relationship, and
Erika RS
Marriage and Morals was terrible, but great fun! My margins are filled with disagreeing and occasionally snarky comments. Russell discusses his opinions on the then current state of marriage and on its future.

You may guess that I disliked the book because of the conclusions Russell draws. However, his conclusions were the smaller factor in my dislike. The larger factor is that Russell conveys the attitude that his arguments are so rational as to be indisputable. He never examines the validity o
Betül
Jan 09, 2015 Betül rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Russell explains the main reasons of why the societies denigrate sex and gives some useful clues to educate children about sex and to prevent the making sex the fixed idea for them. We can say that some of the ideas of the author is not valid for today's society but his point of view for contemporary morals is admirable: "Its not about an individual's getting hold of oneself about sex (because animalistic sexual desires can be transformed into useful actions, especially via education) but gettin ...more
Ehsanmv
Aug 19, 2015 Ehsanmv rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
گویا کتاب در زمان انتشارش در سال 1929 به خاطر جسارتش بحث برانگیز بوده ولی میشود دید که با گذر زمان بسیاری از اصلاحاتی که راسل برای اخلاق زناشویی در این کتاب ارائه میدهد به تحقق پیوسته (در غرب لااقل) مانند تسهیل در طلاق، نگاه به ارتباط جنسی به عنوان امری طبیعی و نیازی مثبت و آوردنش به سطح آگاه جامعه، رابطه پیش از ازدواج، و بحث برانگیزتر از همه، امکان بر عهده گرفتن مسئولیت پدری و مادری در قبال فرزند هرچند والدین، شریک جنسی و عاطفی دیگری داشته باشند درحالت غیر ایدهآل البته

ویژگی اصلی کتاب آوردن شواه
P.J. Sullivan
Said Russell, "There is no country in the world ... where sexual ethics and sexual institutions have been determined by rational considerations." In this book he suggests that the system in vogue in Western civilization be amended by the application of rationality to sexual practices. This got him into a whole lot of trouble! And what did he mean by rational applications? That is what this book is about. His views were often controversial, but he argued them with formidable logic.

On page 96 Rus
Mitchell
Mar 31, 2009 Mitchell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am now convinced that Bertrand Russell can write about anything. This book is about more than the title suggests - it's a look at the past and future of sexual ethics and patriarchal society in general, as well as marriage in particular. Although some of the theories he cites are outdated (e.g. Freudian psychology), it is amazing how accurate some of his predictions turned out to be.
Michelle
I can't claim to agree with all he says, but the process of re-thinking what is taken for granted is of paramount importance! This is an impressive example by one of the greatest thinkers of recent history.
Lewis Manalo
May 31, 2009 Lewis Manalo rated it it was amazing
Essential to the human.
Jesse Bacon
May 11, 2009 Jesse Bacon rated it really liked it
Wow, Bertrand Russel is a riot! This has a wonderful satirical bite, and works as an open inquiry. Despite his stated rationalist bias, he really is an enthusiastic proponent of love free from at least some assumptions about it. It is of course jarring when he reveals himself to have other assumptions or some sympathy for eugenics (only racial in the case of Blacks and Native Americans, the rest intellectual eugenics!) But really a little sad but impressive how much of his comments have either c ...more
Michael Christopher
Jul 26, 2011 Michael Christopher rated it it was amazing
Russell's predictions were a little off, because some trends weren't readily apparent at the time he was writing... but his analysis of some of the problems that were plaguing Western society at the time was as precise as an autopsy, and his work remains relevant as many of those problems are still plaguing us today. It's a shame that his work isn't required reading in more schools.
Ollie
Aug 09, 2014 Ollie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bertrand Russell is well known for being a provocative and controversial writer. While I'm sure this has caused him many "falls from grace" throughout his long life, his writings on marriage and the morals in particular did so in a more concrete way, like costing him a position at the City College of New York.
Reading Marriage and Morals, it can be understood why this happened, as his views are quite progressive for someone writing in 1929.

There are several interesting points brought up in this b
Prithvi Shams
Jun 05, 2012 Prithvi Shams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant book, hard to believe this was written in 1929. This book is the perfect medicament for the disease that is the intensely repressed sexual tension rampant in the societies in the Indian sub-continent and the whole of the Muslim world.
Nachikethas
Every time I read one of Russell's books I am assaulted by a strong feeling of regret that I didn't come across them sooner. Better late than never, as they say. This book is a sparkling companion to "The Conquest of Happiness".
Brian
Dec 29, 2014 Brian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
I have been looking for /Marriage and Morals/ for years. Bertrand Russell is one of my favorite writers and philosophers. The book is legendary as an Ur-text for the polyamory movement. Several witty quotes have come from it. When I found a used American first edition in a second-hand bookstore in Ithaca, I was overjoyed.

After reading it, I was disappointed, but I should not have been surprised. It was not Russell's best and he knew it. He himself considered it a non-academic work intended for
Jackson Cyril
Jan 01, 2016 Jackson Cyril rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The views espoused in this book prevented Russell from teaching in the US in the 40's. The same spinsters who create laws based on 17th century Puritan values were no less active then than they are today. The book advocates for a more liberal and -- dare I say-- more enlightened view of marriage, the rearing of children, nudity, etc.
Halil
Apr 07, 2014 Halil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kitapta Freud eleştirileri vs. ile Russell bende bir Hıncal Uluç, bir Deniz Gökçe tarzı her şeyi ben bilirim imajı ile iticilik uyandırdı niyeyse. Bu fikirlerimi bastırabildiğim yerlerde Russell'ın durumlara bakış açısının herkes için aydınlatıcı olduğunu düşünüyorum.
Mike Walker
Aug 17, 2013 Mike Walker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not easy reading, especially for those unused to Russell's style. It requires a fair amount of background in English history and literature, particularly the Bible. If you have a great deal of interest and a Google connection, though, all of the allusions and background can be discovered easily. He gives an interesting, though very Russell-esque background to European ideas of the relations between men and women, the institution of marriage, and the responsibilities of parents. Some of i ...more
Sezgi
Oct 05, 2015 Sezgi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Her görüşüne katılmıyorum aslında Russell felsefi bakışıyla taban tabana zıtım ders dışında verseler belki okumazdım. Okuyunca da pişman oldum diyemem çünkü kendisi iğneleyici yazılarla kitabını okutturuyor.
Jaffered
Jul 22, 2015 Jaffered rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very insightful. Plenty of trivia. It's a pity, it's the only book of Russel a non-mathematician would ever get to read.
Kefayet Alfesan
Oct 02, 2015 Kefayet Alfesan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
আমার জীবনে পড়া সেরা টা বই এর মধযে থাকবে। :) যদিও কখনও রযাংক করি নাই :p
Darrol Pierson
Mar 13, 2015 Darrol Pierson rated it liked it
Shelves: philosophy
A very dated book, both in political situation and the scientific environment.
Emily Iliani
Feb 04, 2014 Emily Iliani rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home
Sadly something is ironically amiss with this one; perhaps because Russell fails (on epic level) to consider various societies that accept 'un-Christian' marital cultures.
Vidushi Kala
Oct 13, 2015 Vidushi Kala rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
New Bible for Catholics
Joshua
Sep 07, 2012 Joshua rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book started out great. I found myself agreeing vigorously with ol' Bertie like I always do. Unfortunately, the late chapter on eugenics really detracts from the value of this book, and I found it quite shocking that someone whose writings and ideas I have admired so much could write that chapter. However, I still think this book is worth reading. Russell was way ahead of his time, and he makes many good arguments about the history and future of sex, open relationships, marriage, families, ...more
Norbert
Oct 19, 2015 Norbert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
masterpiece
Anirban Gangopadhyay
Bertrand Russell was far, far ahead of even the current times. The book covers all aspects of marriage and relationships (marital and extra-marital), and is more radical and rational than I could have imagined.

He even speaks of a society where the father (and even the mother) would be irrelevant, and trained professionals paid by the state would take care of the next generation. What an idea, sirjee !
Cynthia
Sep 16, 2008 Cynthia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although the language and treatment of certain subjects is pretty dated, BR applies his clear and concise analysis in this book to what role society should play in our sex lives. His progressive ideas about feminism and patriarchy were ahead of his time - and it's almost painful to read how optimistic he was about the ability of the feminist movement to radically change the lives of working women.
  • Spinoza: A Very Short Introduction
  • The World as Will and Idea: Abridged in 1 Vol
  • The Western Intellectual Tradition: From Leonardo to Hegel
  • Wifework: What Marriage Really Means for Women
  • A History of the Warfare of Science with Theology in Christendom
  • Trigger Warning: Is the Fear of Being Offensive Killing Free Speech?
  • Beyond God the Father: Toward a Philosophy of Women's Liberation
  • The Great Agnostic: Robert Ingersoll and American Freethought
  • The Cambridge Companion to Atheism
  • The Logical Leap: Induction in Physics
  • The Oxford Companion to Philosophy
  • Rape: Sex, Violence, History
Bertrand Arthur William Russell, 3rd Earl Russell, OM, FRS, was a Welsh philosopher, historian, logician, mathematician, advocate for social reform, pacifist, and prominent rationalist. Although he was usually regarded as English, as he spent the majority of his life in England, he was born in Wales, where he also died.

He was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1950 "in recognition of his var
More about Bertrand Russell...

“The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widely spread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.” 148 likes
“Love can flourish only as long as it is free and spontaneous; it tends to be killed by the thought of duty. To say that it is your duty to love so-and-so is the surest way to cause you to hate him of her.” 57 likes