Start by marking “Seven: The Deadly Sins and the Beattitudes” as Want to Read:
Seven: The Deadly Sins and the Beattitudes

Seven: The Deadly Sins and the Beattitudes

The Beatitudes of Jesus stand in sharp contrast to what ancient believers identified as the Seven Deadly Sins. Both promise us life at its fullest---but only one delivers. Setting the Beatitudes one by one against the Sins, Seven reveals how the Beatitudes point us from the nothingness that devours to the blessedness that restores and fills.
Published October 21st 2008 by Zondervan (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Seven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven

Melanie
Interessant en las ook nog eens lekker weg (met alle anekdotes). Vond de connecties die de auteur maakte soms een beetje vergezocht (sin gedeelte, was beter dan beautitude), maar over het algemeen was het vooral een verhaal dat me aan het denken heeft gezet. Over mezelf en over de wereld in het algemeen. Denk dat ik het nog wel een keer ga herlezen ooit.
Jeff
Sep 24, 2008 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read it at least 190 times, and I still kinda like it.
Brad Kittle
Thought this book was very good, full of insights and great stories. Jeff Cook contrasted the Sermon on the Mount with the seven deadly sins. Easy to read, informative and interesting. I would give it a 5 but there was nothing ground breaking here and, in my opinion, the book tailed off a little toward the end.
David Ryan
This was a helpful book in my sermon prep for a series on seven deadly sins.
Randy
Jan 28, 2015 Randy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one did me some long-term good. If you seek true enlightenment to our shared human condition then read and ponder this book. Well written, engaging, insightful, and challenging.
Rachel
Sep 14, 2008 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice work Jeff!
Jun 28, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
excellent explanation of true righteousness and its opposite
Catherine
Apr 19, 2013 Catherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a different view point to ponder on each of the sins. I highly recommend reading this and discussing his take with others.
Kelly
Sep 24, 2008 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone... buy two!
Yea for my cute husband!
Brittany
Mar 31, 2011 Brittany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favortie books!!
Alicia
Oct 29, 2010 Alicia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2010
Jeff Cook is a philosophy teacher and teaching pastor in Colorado, and he uses many of his life experiences to illustrate the details the of the points he makes in each chapter. These are more than his studies; he talks about his experiences with the church he helped found, his relationship with his wife and children, and people he taught and met through the university.

Jeff contrasts each deadly sin with a beatitude. But it is not a direct comparison/contrast. He begins each chapter by discussin
Joshua D.
The premise of Jeff Cook's Seven is that the seven deadly sins correspond in some ways to the eight Beatitudes from Jesus' Sermon on the Mount. Both are invitations to a way of life. The seven deadly sins are cancers, or holes in the world that God has made. The Beatitudes are tastes of the kingdom, like grapes from the Promised Land (if you know the book of Numbers at all).

It's a great concept. And I found a lot of wisdom in this book as Cook related personal anecdotes and analyzed contemporary
William Cunion
Aug 05, 2012 William Cunion rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Religious analysis of the seven deadly sins, contrasting them with the promises in the Beatitudes (from the Sermon on the Mount). The author provides a wonderful close reading of scripture to support his central claim that the seven sins produce “holes” in our spiritual selves, separating us from God, from one another, and perhaps even from ourselves. Some of the argument strikes me as pretty thin; the social science is especially sketchy. He contends that we could eliminate poverty in the world ...more
Tim
Aug 28, 2010 Tim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not nearly as good as it might have been. I bought this for the clever idea of comparing deadly sins and beatitudes, I got a bit of good writing, some biblical exegesis that was questionable (I do not buy into Dallas Willard's interpretation of the Beatitudes, neither did Cook after awhile it felt like), and chapters that frankly did not hold all that well together. The book should have more deliberately tied the sin to the beatitude. The sin talk was the best part of the book - but even there t ...more
Kirsten
i think it is a good book and a lot of people should read it. it brings you to think about yourself - hopefully. if you read this book and you decide you don't have to think about your life than you are either a saint or you are already lost.
i don't agree in every aspect with the author, but i think he is right in many many things.
Eric Lewis
This is a great book focusing on the seven deadly sins. Jeff Cook does a good job explaining each and provided examples. Very easy to understand. The end of the book has some discussion questions and area for notes. This book should remain on your bookshelf forever as reference material. And if you are a Sunday School Teacher it would be very easy to use in your teaching.
Karen
Apr 12, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Quite simply stated, this is a profound book. Most certainly, the best book that I have read on this subject and one of the best books on Christianity that I have found in a very long while. The thoughts on these pages will stay with me for a long while.
JM
Sep 07, 2012 JM rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was okay. It bounced between theological discourse to personal testimony. Its good for the Christian at the start of his/her journey to learn about the faith. Those of us who are a little further along in our journey, this is not as fulfilling. Nevertheless, it was a good book.
Pam
Dec 22, 2012 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We have two paths, two sets if invitations Both call to deep places within us to come and taste. Which will we choose - the seven deadly sins or the beatitudes?
Mark
Aug 04, 2010 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: personal-library
Insightful look at the seven deadly sins & the teachings of Christ from Matthew 5-7... very different take on these spiritual issues than other sources but solidly Biblical and thought-provoking.
Fred
Mar 11, 2011 Fred rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best book on the big seven yet. Love the contrast and connection to the beatitudes! Very helpful!
Randall
Randall rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2011
Hamad Al-Failakawi
Hamad Al-Failakawi rated it it was ok
Nov 22, 2011
Jared Shearer
Jared Shearer rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2014
Corey Baker
Corey Baker rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2015
Saleem Boumaroun
Saleem Boumaroun rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2016
John  Ervin
John Ervin rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2009
David
David rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2012
Courtney
Courtney rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2012
Justin Edgar
Justin Edgar rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »

“It may take years of struggle and confession, battle and failure. The places in my life where I struggle with deadly sins are matters of a decade or more of focus, repentance, shame, and grace. I’ve traveled some long roads simply to lessen the depth of some of my failures and addictions — just to get to a place where I can receive fresh grace and encouragement.” 1 likes