Start by marking “Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire: What Happens When God's Spirit Invades the Hearts of His People” as Want to Read:

4.24  ·  Rating Details ·  11,947 Ratings  ·  273 Reviews
In this unabridged audio download edition of the Christian Book of the Year, Pastor Jim Cymbala shares the lessons he learned when the Holy Spirit ignited his heart and began to move through his people. This is for anyone seeking to live at the center of God's purposes. Read by Dick Fredricks. 7 Hours.
Published November 1st 2004 by Zondervan (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire

Frank
Nov 23, 2011 Frank rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book Review: Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire By Jim Cymbala

In 1972, a young married man who did not have a background in ministry took over a dying congregation in a tough, inner-city neighborhood at the urgent request of his minister father-in-law.

Less than twenty people were attending services, the building was in disrepair and there was no money for even basic necessities. Yet within a few years the congregation was much larger and thriving. It eventually began to number in the thousands and develope
Danny
Jun 11, 2010 Danny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Enjoyed this book about allowing God’s Spirit to invade our hearts. Some of my favorite quotes include:
“I discovered an astonishing truth: God is attracted to weakness. He can't resist those who humbly and honestly admit how desperately they need him.”
“After all, people weren't hungry for fancy sermons or organizational polish. They just wanted love. They wanted to know that God could pick them up and give them a second chance.”
“Because I had been a basketball player, it never dawned on me to ev
Jenn
“Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire”
By Jim Cymbala

Part 1: Key Learnings
• Page 19: God is attracted to weakness. Our weakness makes room for His power.
o Application: I need to rely on God’s power to run Growth Group and by ready to acknowledge and identify my areas of weakness
• Page 26: God is present, and he would act on our behalf.
o Application: Great encouragement to people I meet with in difficult circumstances. Use stories of God’s faithfulness to act as encouragement.
• Page 49: Prayer cannot be taug
Seth Little
While this was an inspirational read, I had a hard time stomaching the anti-intellectual bent of Pastor Cymbala. He is clearly a man of the highest intentions and of faith, but I don't think he presents a balanced, holistic view of Christian ministry in the end. I recommend this book as a secondary part of a balanced reading diet for church leaders.
Mandy J. Hoffman
Apr 25, 2011 Mandy J. Hoffman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
MY REVIEW:

I think it was the title...but for whatever reason this is a book I had seen many times and just never bought for myself to read. But recently when a dear man of God recommended this to our church leadership I immediately found it on PaperBackSwap and began to read it.

WOW!

This book is not about the how-to's of prayer like so many other books are, but about the why we pray and the power of prayer. And for those of you in my circle, it's not "out there" either. While there are a few thi
Simon Bale
Jun 26, 2012 Simon Bale rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: holy-spirit
It wasn't that I disliked the book's core message: that prayer and the Holy Spirit are what matters in Christian community today. It was the way the message was communicated.

I felt beaten up and beaten down by the onslaught of marshal metaphors, and seriously unnerved at the prejudice shown by Cymbala on matters of family life, sexuality and relationships.

The core message could have been got across in a dozen or more pages, and the rest could be left out. It is a truly serious and valuable messa
Aaron
Jul 23, 2012 Aaron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jim Cymbala was a familiar name to me, as I had read some of his articles in Charisma magazine. The Charismatic books are the most widely read books in Christendom. I've not really been impressed with one to date—there is always a running theme under them all which I do not adhere to.

Jim was thrown into the role of Pastor by the hand of his father-in-law. Jim had no formal ministerial training(and I suspect still hasn't), and make no mistake about it, he takes pride in that fact.

Preaching the w
Shaun Marksbury
With recommendations from Drs. Joseph Stowell and Warren Wiersbe, it was a given that Jim Cymbala’s Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire would become a bestseller. Full of relatable stories of struggle with sin, this pastor of the Brooklyn Tabernacle writes this engaging work that will encourages readers to turn the sufficiency of self to trust in the power of prayer. Even so, this is not a book I recommend.

First, irony opens the book: a man who wasn’t called to be a pastor treaded water by gaining footing on
Murray
Sep 09, 2012 Murray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jim Cymbala is the pastor of the Brooklyn Tabernacle. Although he didn't found the tabernacle, it was just a handful of parishoners when his father-in-law gave him the assignment back in the early 70s. It now attracts some 8,000 weekly seekers and has satellites thoughout the land. Ironically, Fresh Wind Fresh Fire is about not seeking numbers in your church but seeking the Holy Spirit. He, if given the opportunity, will grow your church and depth of worship. I've read numerous books by Jim but ...more
Josh Miller
Jul 06, 2013 Josh Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very inspirational read from a humble man. An evangelist friend of mine visited the prayer meeting service of the Brooklyn Tabernacle some years ago and was quite moved.

Several items I took away from the book:

1) The strength of one's church does not lie in the attendance to any of the preaching services...it lies in the attendance to the prayer service. I wonder how many people would show up to our mid-week services if we announced that it would only be a time of praise and prayer?? The author
Leah Beecher
Apr 13, 2011 Leah Beecher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book for any Christian who wants to discover what "The Church" is supposed to look like, and act like. Jim Cymbala is humble and authentic. His passion for Christ comes through on every page. With much wisdom and insight he gives a very balanced view on issues dealing with spiritual warfare and culture issues.His stand and hard-hitting truth is always saturated in scripture. He makes the important and often looked-over point that the "problems with the world" is not seculari ...more
Ciara
Sep 08, 2015 Ciara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't convinced I would vibe with this book. I have been having a hard time with church to say the least. But holy crap! This guy's story is good and he tears down all the falsehood and hypocrisy of churches today and what we have made Christianity and going to church to become. In looking for a church, I have just been wanting to find somewhere that loves God and loves people (aka EVERYONE: the poor, homeless, gay, scary, etc.) to the best of their ability. Jim's church does exactly that wel ...more
Derek
Dec 26, 2016 Derek rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Certainly an inspirational read, but I have some problems with it. I always feel uneasy about interpreting "answered prayer" stories as proof of God's faithfulness, because we've all experienced unanswered prayers. Was God unfaithful in those situations? Of course not.

This book wasn't very intellectual - which is fine, but it definitely feels like a collection of stories intended to "prove" that God will come through in specific ways if we just ask him hard enough. My experience is that God's pr
Haverlee
Nov 12, 2014 Haverlee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm giving this 5 stars on the sheer basis that I read it cover to cover on my own in a relatively short amount of time. The number of times I've done that with a biblically based spiritual improvement book (what do you call that category??) that wasn't for a bible study is slim to none. There are stories and ideas in here that are truly life-changing (Huh. Go figure. Bible based ideas are life-changing. ;) and will stick with me for a very long time.
Jacki
Feb 25, 2009 Jacki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick little book. I read it in just one evening.

I really loved the first half, all the history of the Brooklyn Tabernacle. It is incredible what God did through these people.

I read this for a book club & when I first saw it, I was kind of bummed. It didn't seem like something I would like at all, but in fact I thought it was pretty good.
Jan 18, 2016 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first, I was drawn in by his stories that occurred at his church and then grew rather tired of so many stories. However, as he started talking more about the power of the Spirit and exhorting believers to live in the Spirit, all of the stories made perfect sense. This is a convicting book in a positive way. It does not induce guilt but a longing for a more intimate connection with God.
Laszlo Debreceni
May 28, 2015 Laszlo Debreceni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Friss szél friss tűz

Nagyon egyszerű de alapvető könyv arról, hogy nem kell semmilyen új módszert kitalálnunk az ébredéshez, csak meg kell tanulnunk imádkozni, Istenhez kiáltani és engedelmeskedni.
Brenan
Jan 16, 2013 Brenan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked it. It was very convicting as far as realizing that prayer is super important and that it isn't emphasized enough in today's Church. I didn't agree with everything he said, but overall it was an excellent.
Tony Huy
May 12, 2012 Tony Huy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tony by: Jon Sarinana
Great book. I was blessed, encouraged, and taught through it. This book planted seeds for my discovery of a life dependent upon the Holy Spirit (still discovering) and has caused seismic shifts in some of my views on how church is done.
Chuck Musselwhite
Simply the best book on spiritual renewal and prayer.
Josh
Feb 07, 2013 Josh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-living
Good book on prayer and the need for churches to be built on what God can do, not what we can do.
Steve
Oct 27, 2016 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is worth anyone's time but as a pastor, it is the most encouraging and motivating books I've read in a long time. It is almost 20 years old but just as relevant today as ever.
Jon
Dec 17, 2010 Jon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The amazing awakening of the congregation of Brooklyn Tabernacle. Pastor Cymbala displays the history of what God did in changing the mindset of a tiny, fledgling congregation in Brooklyn from man-focus to God-focus. This book is full of short snippets of the history and ministry of the Brooklyn Tab--a chronicle of God’s working in the city. Starting at the beginning of Cymbala’s ministry, the book opens with stories of failure and heartache. A 20 person discouraged church almost made Jim Cymbal ...more
Valerie Van Moorsel
Are we too comfortable in our pews? Is the message a watered down version of God’s truth? does the message give you a warm fuzzy good feeling as you rush out to the car after service? Is the service too regimented too choreographed to planned that even the Holy Spirit has no room to enter in?
These are the questions that I asked myself while I was reading this book “Fresh wind, Fresh fire” by Jim Cymbala . it challenged me to take a look at my own convictions before God, am I going to church bec
Pam Herrmann
Pastor Jim Cymbala believes in the power of prayer. When life becomes hard, drop to your knees and pray. Look to God for unlimited grace.
Tom
Dec 11, 2016 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good reminders throughout this book
Elizabeth
Aug 01, 2013 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire will challenge you to pray and seek the Lord in everything and for everything. The book challenges you to pray, not just for results, but to get to know the one who loves you.

This is the story of how God took a struggling dying church with a struggling minister and turned it into one of the biggest churches of our time. This book is filled with story after story of how the Lord transformed the lives of people with the gospel and the power of prayer. What good is it to have
Renea Ranguette
Feb 23, 2017 Renea Ranguette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heart piercing message that challenges the reader to assess whether our desire is to grow in knowledge (The Word) or grow in relationship with the Word. Highly recommend this book to all believers in and seekers of Christ.
Joy McAlpin
Overall, a good book. I loved the beginning and loved the end, but felt the middle was geared heavily towards pastoral staff. I just couldn't relate to the mid section of the book. But, as in some of his other books, Jim Cymbala, uses real life stories, testimonies, experiences to illustrate his point which I do love in his writing.
David Roark
Feb 19, 2017 David Roark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great truth...powerful and convicting.
  • Experiencing God: How to Live the Full Adventure of Knowing and Doing the Will of God
  • The Body
  • Simple Church: Returning to God's Process for Making Disciples
  • Victory Over the Darkness
  • Ordering Your Private World
  • A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23
  • Streams in the Desert
  • Intercessory Prayer: How God Can Use Your Prayers to Move Heaven & Earth
  • The God Chasers: "My Soul Follows Hard After Thee"
  • A Life God Rewards: Why Everything You Do Today Matters Forever
  • Eternity in Their Hearts:  Startling Evidence of Belief in the One True God in Hundreds of Cultures Throughout the World
  • Courageous Leadership
  • If
  • The Normal Christian Life
  • The Journey of Desire: Searching for the Life We Always Dreamed of
  • With Christ in the School of Prayer
  • The Grace Awakening: Believing in Grace Is One Thing. Living it Is Another
  • The Christian's Secret of a Happy Life
Jim Cymbala has been the pastor of The Brooklyn Tabernacle for more than twenty-five years. The author of the best-selling titles Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire; Fresh Faith; and Fresh Power, he lives in New York City with his wife, Carol Cymbala, who directs the Grammy Award-winning Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir.
More about Jim Cymbala...

“No matter what I preach or what we claim to believe in our heads, the future will depend upon our times of prayer.” 18 likes
“Jesus called fishermen, not graduates of rabbinical schools. The main requirement was to be natural and sincere.” 16 likes