Start by marking “Psychic: My Life in Two Worlds” as Want to Read:
Psychic: My Life in Two Worlds

Psychic: My Life in Two Worlds

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  239 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
At the age of seventy-three, New York Times bestselling author Sylvia Browne is ready to tell the whole story of her extraordinary life. In Psychic, we meet the woman behind the public figure: from the child receiving her first visits from the spirit world to the teenager doubting her own sanity; from the new mother living through staggering highs and lows to the burgeonin ...more
Published May 25th 2010 by HarperCollins e-books (first published May 10th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Psychic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Psychic

Matthew
Jun 09, 2010 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sylvia Browne Fans, Fans of the paranormal
I'm not sure I entirely believe in Sylvia Browne's experiences, but for some reason I'm hooked to her books. They are really expensive as far as books go, but I still can't help myself.
When I read Sylvia's books, I feel as if I'm listening to a long lost friend or something. Her writing (and that of Lindsay Harrison, her cowriter) is very down to earth and humbling. I feel very satisfied after I read one of her books. It would be a shame to learn that she made everything up.
I didn't give Psychi
Becca Hudson
I'll give Sylvia Browne this much: She's got one hell of a sense of humor. I laughed out loud a few times reading this. I'm not convinced of her psychic abilities, but after reading this story of her life, I like her. I find her intriguing now.

She claims that her psychic abilities don't work on herself. And apparently she lacks some common sense, because she's on her 5th husband. Oh well.

I'm still skeptical about her visions and spirit guide, but that's just me. She is nuts, but harmless. I th
Ryan G
I've never known much about Sylvia Browne outside of the fact that she was a psychic and appeared on the Montel Williams show a lot. That lack of knowledge is the main reason I wanted to read this book and hear her life story from the source, not some tabloid you find at the supermarket checkout counter. For the most part I was disappointed, I felt that I cam away from this with a little bit of an understanding of who she is a woman who passionately loves her family and who takes her ability and ...more
Michelle Path
Dec 28, 2014 Michelle Path rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is amazing. I had it sitting on my bookshelf for about a year and I picked it up and started reading it. It has helped me gain some new perspectives on some of the things going on in my life. Even if you are not a believer in the afterlife and such, there are valuable lessons to be learnt and helps you look at things in a different perspective. I would totally recommend it. I have ordered 3 more books from this author. I can't wait to read more of her books!
Joe Escalante
Jun 01, 2015 Joe Escalante rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you love Sylvia Browne like I do, or if you want to get to know Sylvia, read this book. It is a total background story of Sylvia, her life, starting with the first time she saw her gifts first manifest, to the later years. It is a beautiful comprehensive telling of her gifts and how she navigated them through her life. It is a lovely, interesting, comprehensive look at the woman we love. Definitely a must for any old and new fan.
Susan
Feb 03, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love reading memoirs, and thought this would be fun, which it was. There's something irrepressible about Browne that I find appealing. I'm intrigued by people who go from one disaster to another but seem to stay optimistic. Then I got to the end and googled her and found out she'd died, which was depressing. Hope she's having fun in heaven.
Christina Franklin
3 1/2 stars. I enjoy memoirs. Some of my favorites thus far include Janette Walls's The Glass Castle and Stephen King's On Writing (part writing instruction part memoir), and while I thought this was another good and interesting memoir, I know this wouldn't be a book for everyone due to who Sylvia Browne is and her chosen profession. That being said, I enjoyed it.

Sylvia Browne takes you from her very youngest years up until the present (2010), exposing her challenging childhood with an abusive
Mr. Crusader
Feb 07, 2011 Mr. Crusader rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is definitely Browne's most entertaining and well-written book thus far. Bravo!

However, I was hoping that she would have written more about the situation with her ex-husband Dal Brown ripping off all that money in a scandal which created a criminal problem for both him and the author. After reading the book, I did some research, and it is clear she really downplays the entire incident in her recent book. It would have been nice to hear more from her side of the story regarding the incident.
SouthWestZippy
Jan 19, 2016 SouthWestZippy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, favorites
What a fascinating woman. I just could not put this book down. Her life is heartbreaking, unique and inspiring. She talks about her childhood and how she grew into being comfortable with her gift.
Eliza Fayle
Sylvia does discuss her belief system about the spirit world, and there might be a tendancy while reading to go ‘Uh-huh, ya …. whatever you say, lady’. However, to her credit, she doesn’t ask you to believe what she knows to be true. She simply asks you to be open minded to the existence of other realms of being and energy. Fair enough, I say.

I found Sylvia to be honest and forthright, with a good does of self-depreciating humour thrown in. After all, the world may give her celebrity status, but
Sally Knotwell
Sep 10, 2013 Sally Knotwell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I'm a bit skeptical when it comes to psychics, but everything I've read by Ms. Browne has been riveting. She writes of an afterlife that is loving and nurturing and full of our relatives and friends and even pets who have gone before us. That's truly comforting! In this book, she made several references to mystical phenomona that resonated with me. While I remain a bit skeptical, I can't help but hope that what she says in her book is real and true. Thanks, Ms. Browne, for helping me look at dea ...more
Amy
Nov 29, 2010 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. It is a sincere biography and gives an in depth view at Slyvia's experience as a physcic. I don't believe everybody's experience with the spirit world is the same. The validity of her views and use of hypnosis is interesting and questionable. She has started her own church, which makes me a bit suspect. She claims a connection to God, so I suppose a church would be the next step for her, but I don't think I would join it. Ovearall I enjoyed her story and the explanations she g ...more
Kayla Britton
Apr 24, 2015 Kayla Britton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Could not put this down...
✟Sabrina Rutter✟
If you've read Adventures of a psychic then you know most of what is in this book. What she didn't include in that book, or any of her other books for that matter was the update in the last chapter or two. I now remember why I got bored with Sylvia Browne's books...I find her fascinating enough that I don't let this stop me, but honestly I'm really glad I didn't read her two memoirs back to back. I would have hated this book had I done it that way.
Kirk
Jun 07, 2011 Kirk rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
....well....I come from a family deeply involved in hermetic/occult practices; so I've no problem with the content. I do think the book is an honest memoir. I just had a hard time with the amount or breadth of experiences Ms. Browne encountered. Though perhaps the condense timescale of the book led me to this feeling. Otherwise, I enjoyed the book and did gain some insights into the private life of s psychic.
Jamie Nakasone
May 22, 2013 Jamie Nakasone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listen to a lot of autobiographies on audiobook. This is the first of a psychic. It's not that I believe or not. I'm not even religious. I just thought it would be an interesting story. Four marriages and bankruptcy had to make for a decent story. I was not disappointed. Stories of her psychic experiences were great. She has a tongue in cheek style that's pretty funny. All in all a book worth your time.
Amanda Caldwell
Other than the last chapter, this book is basically just a bunch of stuff that seems to be copy-and-pasted from her other books. However, it's still a good book and a great "refresher" on her philosophy and story. Although, if you've read her book 'Adventures of a Psychic' you've basically read this one as if I remember correctly it's essentially the same in every way.
Dale Stonehouse
Aug 10, 2010 Dale Stonehouse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a Gnostic Christian psychic, one might expect the author to have a unique point of view and she does. In this memoir she details her personal life from a human perspective, emphasizing repeatedly that psychics are as human as the rest of us. Especially appealing is the description of her long-time friendship with TV talk-show host Montel Williams.
John Cleary
Jan 22, 2014 John Cleary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a really fascinating read.
Nikki
Jan 17, 2012 Nikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A look into her life as a psychic. Love the subject or not, you have to admit that it opens up questions we all ask ourselves about why we're here and what we are meant to do with our lives.
Her books are always easy to read, entertaining and I think they open up the opportunity for reflection and challenge one's self.
It seemed like the majority of the material in this book was a rehash of previous books. I enjoyed the new stories and the updates on the author's life. However, this seemed like a rush to publish a book. Surely the author could have filled a book this length with more new stories and fewer recaps.
Rebecca
May 30, 2010 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2010
I love Sylvia and have seen her live several times. I have almost all her books. This one is her biography but there isn't anything in here I haven't read before. The only thing new is that she got married for the 4th time in 2009. This time she got the right man though!
Sep 17, 2011 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though this was an autobiography about her life, the book incorporated many stories that I've already read about in Sylvia's other books. It would be good if she could come up with some new idea's instead of recycling everything that she's already written about.
Mary
Jun 15, 2014 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read as I expected. I enjoyed the personal stories she had throughout the book. I enjoy reading autobiographies as I always learn something. Even if you disagree with Ms. Browne or do not believe in her work, she comes across as genuine.
Bebe Burnside
Nov 14, 2011 Bebe Burnside rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even when talking about some of the saddest events of her life, Sylvia Browne faces it with courage and humor. If you enjoy her books then this is a must read to learn a bit more details of some things she has only hinted about in other books.
Kitty
Sep 05, 2015 Kitty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography-memoir
This was a very entertaining book. I'm not saying whether or not I believe her story, but Sylvia Browne is definitely a good storyteller. She's had the kind of life that few of us can imagine, and she has an enjoyable writing style.
Stacy Young
I loved hearing Sylvia's story and how she came to become a world renowned psychic. She is a great story teller and is engaging! Good read if you're in to the world of psychics and spirituality.
Kaalomai
very interesting to read this perspective on things. never having experienced even the slightest hint of anything like this it is hard to believe. but i guess shes famous for something.
What a fascinating lady and beautiful perspective on heaven. I will continue to read her books because they just make life better while you are with her.
Kristi Newcomb
Jun 18, 2013 Kristi Newcomb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good, lots of repeat info if you've read any of her books. But there was a lot of new info to that brought me up to date. I love Sylvia !
  • My Life With Sylvia Browne
  • iWant: My Journey from Addiction and Overconsumption to a Simpler, Honest Life
  • Unfinished Business: What the Dead Can Teach Us About Life
  • The Medium Next Door: Adventures of a Real-Life Ghost Whisperer
  • Life Is Not a Reality Show: Keeping It Real with the Housewife Who Does It All
  • The Soulmate Secret: Manifest the Love of Your Life with the Law of Attraction
  • The World's Most Haunted Places: From the Secret Files of Ghostvillage.com
  • War and the American Difference: Theological Reflections on Violence and National Identity
  • Hermeneutics: Principles and Processes of Biblical Interpretation
  • Infinite Quest: Develop Your Psychic Intuition to Take Charge of Your Life
  • Ghosts of Wyoming
  • My Spiritual Journey
  • True Story: A Christianity Worth Believing in
Sylvia Browne is a number one New York Times–bestselling author and world-famous psychic. She has appeared regularly on The Montel Williams Show and Larry King Live and has made countless other media and public appearances. She is also the founder of a church, the Society of Novus Spiritus, which will celebrate its twenty-fifth anniversary in 2011.
More about Sylvia Browne...