Start by marking “The Tale of the Pie and the Patty-Pan” as Want to Read:
The Tale of the Pie and the Patty-Pan

The Tale of the Pie and the Patty-Pan (The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  592 ratings  ·  37 reviews
(Helen) Beatrix Potter (1866-1943) was an English author and illustrator, botanist, and conservationist, born in Kensington, London best known for her children's books, which featured animal characters such as Peter Rabbit. Educated at home by a succession of governesses, she had little opportunity to mix with other children. Potter had frogs and newts, and even a pet bat. ...more
Published October 26th 2007 by Dodo Press (first published December 1st 1905)

To ask other readers questions about The Tale of the Pie and the Patty-Pan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tale of the Pie and the Patty-Pan

Izida
Поредната сладурска книжка от поредицата "Детство мое".
Посмях се и ми се дояде пай с бекон, препоръчвам :D
A.R. Collins
This is not one of the better known Beatrix Potter stories, and I didn't remember much about it from when I was younger, therefore I was pleasantly surprised. The story is characteristically simple, but still fun and engaging, more so than some others by this author. I think Duchess a very amusing character, and the relationship between herself (a dog) and Ribby (a cat) smacks of truth; Potter has done a very good job of translating the tentative friendship between a cat and a dog into her own w ...more
Melle
Aug 21, 2014 Melle rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who can't say what they really feel
As I'm finding with most Beatrix Potter stories, this is a messed-up little tale involving deception. Duchess the little black dog is invited to have pie (meat pie, of course -- thank you, Britain) by Ribby the brown tabby cat, but Duchess doesn't let Ribby know she doesn't want mouse and then goes about trying to avoiding eating mouse and generally wreaking havoc. The illustrations are cute but entirely unbelievable (a cat in a dress - ha!).

Zelda did not care for this book or the ideas it put
B-zee
Apa jadinya jika kucing mengundang anjing ke pestanya? Si kucing dengan bangga mempersembahkan pie tikus terbaiknya untuk sang tamu, sedangkan si anjing mati-matian berusaha agar tak memakan tikus tanpa memberi tahu si tuan rumah. Yang terjadi adalah kesalahpahaman konyol yang seharusnya dapat diselesaikan dengan satu kalimat baik-baik.

Perjalanan panjang dengan ketegangan-ketegangan kecil yang kita tunggu-tunggu.

Dan pada akhirnya...kucing dan anjing sepertinya memang tidak akan rukun.
Neville Ridley-smith
My kids (14, 11, 9) & I are reading through the Complete Tales of Beatrix Potter. On to book 7.

Apparently this was originally published in a bigger format than the other books and only later converted to fit the smaller size.

A tale of subterfuge and manners. Personally I think it went on a bit long for what it was. And the ending was a bit weird.

14 year old gave it 4, 9 year old gave it 2. 11 year old was too tired and got bored!
Jazz
Beatrix Potter is a genius when it comes to everyday comedy. This story about the friendship between a cat and a dog, and their different taste in food had me laughing the whole way through.
Eduard
Read as part of The Beatrix Potter Collection: Volume One.

This one did not have either the narrative of the other books in the collection nor the beautiful illustrations that accompany them ergo the two star rating.

W.B.
Dec 24, 2007 W.B. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone with kids...or without.
Hilarious. How exactly does one avoid eating "mouse pie" when it is so kindly proferred? By being underhanded apparently. And your reward for such underhandedness? Why, you end up swallowing a tin patty-pan. Or think you did. And your doctor is a senile rabbit. Beatrix Potter at some of her funniest...and the illustrations are just adorable. Read this to your kids...I'm not sure who will enjoy it more, though. :-)
Clare
This has to be my favourite Beatrix Potter book. It is so ridiculous... the cats making "catty" remarks when one of them invites a dog over for tea... the dog brushing her fur and buying flowers, then begging for a lump of sugar on her nose and diving under the table. She just mixes up everything and it makes me laugh.
jacky
This was a little tale of mistaken pie identity. The confusion was a little funny, but this story focused too much the details of the housework for me. I also did not understand the doctor and didn't enjoy the illustrations as much as all the others so far.
Joani
This book has many things working for it, great author, fantastic illustrator (one in the same, Beatrix Potter), but I will also admit, it has another claim on my affections, the star is a black Pomeranian. I like to pretend it is Cordelia.
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Perhaps my favorite so far. It's basically a Cranford short story but staring animals! Just pure brillance. Also, interesting to see the pen and ink work along with the watercolor. Very nice. Also, adored the Bleak House joke, "Gammon" "Spinach!"
Kim
Mostly I was confused for the entire book. I would just re-read it to understand more, but I didn't so much like the anxiety chatter.
Bella
I really enjoy Beatrix Potter and her books. I think they're so lovely and just beautiful. I would love to have the entire collection so i could read them whenever i just want to have a break from adult books.
Mellodi Parks
Great story! one of the Potter series that I didn't read as a kid. Loved it as an adult now. I see now why I loved stories like Redwall as an adult. It all started thanks to Beatrix Potter's stories. Give these a read!
Vivian
I'm going to go against the grain here: I thought the narrative was disjointed and a little awkward. (Does it improve on subsequent readings?) I'm not a huge Beatrix Potter fan, and this is not high on my list.
Emkoshka
Fancy, a dog and a cat dining together! And the doctor is a magpie who talks nonsense. A cute but silly comedy of manners: if you don't like mouse pie, don't be shy about telling your host before the party!
Steph
Imagine being invited to a party and knowing that you could not stomach the meal. That is exactly what happens to this poor little dog, but her plan to avoid the pie does not end as she expected.
Marte Patel
This tale was one of Beatrix Potter's favourites, but not one of mine. It is a classic tale of confusion and swapped items, but the ending is a bit weird.
Gwen
Gah. Cutest little black dog in the universe!!!
Read this book, and you're going to be craving a nice, hot mouse-and-bacon pie; I promise.
Gmr
A charming tale of two unlikely friends and the commotion caused by not simply being honest with each other. Beautiful artwork throughout!
VWrulesChick
Lovely little tales of truth for our impressionable generation through little stories of nature and animals. Lovely pictures, too!
Lili
Beatrix Potter was a magnificent children's story teller and the books passed down through generations are still loved today
Polly
Oddly compelling to me as a child, partly because I had absolutely no idea what a patty-pan was.
Sally
I recall this as being my absolute favourite of Beatrix Potter's stories, or at least my most read!
Jenn
Mouse pie is quite delicious when you think you are eating something else.
ღ Carol jinx~☆~
I love Beatrix Potter and her amazing illustrations.
Stories are cute.
Annie
This book is just gorgeous, I really do love the illustrations.
  • Raggedy Andy Stories
  • Story of Little Babaji
  • Autumn Story
  • The Golden Book of Fairy Tales
  • Harry Cat's Pet Puppy
  • Paddington Goes to Town (Paddington, #8)
  • Miss Bindergarten Celebrates the 100th Day of Kindergarten
  • East of the Sun and West of the Moon: Old Tales from the North
  • Duck & Goose Find A Pumpkin
  • The First Dog
  • The King, the Mice and the Cheese
  • Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas
  • Mouse Cookies & More: A Treasury [With CD (Audio)-- 8 Songs and Celebrity Readings]
  • Little Fur Family
  • The Tale of the Mandarin Ducks
  • Little Miss Giggles
  • My Goodnight Book
Helen Beatrix Potter was an English author, illustrator, mycologist, and conservationist who was best known for her children's books, which featured animal characters such as Peter Rabbit.

Born into a privileged household, Potter was educated by governesses, and grew up isolated from other children. She had numerous pets and through holidays in Scotland and the Lake District developed a love of lan
More about Beatrix Potter...
The Tale of Peter Rabbit The Complete Tales The Complete Adventures of Peter Rabbit The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle The Tale of Benjamin Bunny