Start by marking “American Hair Metal” as Want to Read:
American Hair Metal

American Hair Metal

“We’re not ashamed of a little hairspray and makeup. We’ve always said it takes a real man to wear makeup.”—Bret Michaels, Poison (1988)

There was a time—not so long ago—when pomp and spandex dominated MTV and pop radio playlists. American Hair Metal visually celebrates this orgy of flamboyance, androgyny, and animal magnetism, of big-haired alpha males and the beautiful wo
Published October 1st 2006 by Feral House

To ask other readers questions about American Hair Metal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Hair Metal

Heidi Sinderman
being a teenager of the 80's who was into alot of this music, i LOVED this book! it made me laugh so hard that i cried.

also found some of the quotes from different musicians quite interesting, some disturbing, some insightful, some just strange, such as the one by lead singer of Skid Row, Sebastian Bach, where he talks about how much he likes vomiting and that it is like having an orgasm for him. :)
Tiny Pants
Oct 25, 2009 Tiny Pants rated it it was amazing
Finally got my hands on this book and it. is. AWESOME! Mostly images, which is great because to read who he's written for (various pop culture rags like Spin, the Village Voice, currently a contributing editor for Paper), it comes as somewhat of an eyebrow-raiser that Steven Blush writes like one of my undergrads. Simple, declarative sentences that don't really relate to each other and kind of just pile on with no real structure of being an actual paragraph save for the fact that a designer made ...more
I guess what's most interesting about Hair Metal is that it happened and was quite popular. At no time before or since would this style of music and the culture around it be able to generate mainstream non-ironic following, yet somehow, it did happen. I suppose the best comparison would be to Juggalo culture today. From the outside, it can only be regarded as silly and bad, but from the inside it seems so, so fucking cool.

One of the most surprising things I discovered in this book, was that hair
Elaine Meszaros
Dec 03, 2014 Elaine Meszaros rated it liked it
This book is worth it just for the cover. Blush gives you an up close and personal look at the biggest, hairiest and most famous metal bands. Each page brings a band with still bigger hair, more makeup, hazier lenses and thickly studded leather outfits - all brand spanking new. Coupled with horrendous fan letters and quotes from the bands, the book is hysterical and wind-blowingly awful.

"I see our group reaching the top and staying there for a long time..." - Michael Sweet - Stryper (1986)
Apr 05, 2012 Terence rated it really liked it
Shelves: music, subculture
At first I didn't want to read this, I thought it wa sgoing to be horrible. And it is. But Steven Blush really gets into some interesting parts about the industry and has these great pages of word collages sometimes from the same musician about their drug use and non use in the same year. It's actually very good. It is neither a reaffirming nostalgia trip nor an analytic critique, but it uses the times to be perfectly on point. They do speak for themselves. Horribly. But it is entertaining.
Wayne Simmons
Nov 08, 2015 Wayne Simmons rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a treat this book is. A graphic tour de force through the hey day of 80s and early 90s glam metal, American Hair Metal is the perfect companion piece to Martin Popoff's Big Book of Hair Metal. While Popoff's book focuses more on the music and production side, Blush is more concerned with the image, lifestyle and culture. Essential reading for anyone who lived through the 80s, grew a mullet or ever performed air guitar to Europe's The Final Countdown.
Alicia Scully
This book is a very entertaining photo collection that summarizes that hair metal movement. Major themes and trends are explored, but there isn't a lot of hard facts to be given and there isn't much besides the photos and quotes. These elements were welcome and it was a fun, quick read, but this book is more of an introductory piece as opposed to something for serious research.
Shawn Steen
Jul 11, 2007 Shawn Steen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
The photos in this book have been etched into my subconscious since the day my roommate left his library copy on our coffee table. I couldn't. stop. staring.
The outfits; the swollen bits of spandex; the hair -it's all so... BIG.
I had no idea there existed so many hair metal bands. I can barely wrap my brain around the idea, in fact. But I continue to stare...
Mar 22, 2008 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: metal heads
ha ha ha what not to wear. I like to have this close when I watch The Decline of Western Civilization the Metals Years.
I hate the new Wave 80's but love the metal 80's.

Everyone is dead serious and the lack of humor is what makes this book rock!
Oct 09, 2007 J.C. rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
hilarious... boy that takes me back. some of the best, strangest, bad a** glam rockers in return in full color. Anyone else think its ironic that a guy named Blush would write a book about guys who used to wear blush?
Jul 29, 2011 Matti added it
More like a picture book than reading material, but that's how you'd want your Hair Metal, very visual, right?! Love it!
Aug 22, 2007 Leilani rated it liked it
Shelves: music
Fun to reminisce over, but it leaves out a lot of bands, and put Nitro on the cover. Who gives a shit about them!?!?
Jun 01, 2014 Kori rated it liked it
Three stars just for the photos. The text is lacking. No current info, and how many "Get drunk and get laid and rock!" quotes does one book really need?
Jun 17, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing
While not a novel.....this has some of the best photography of the 80's metal scene ever. Such a thrill.
Aug 11, 2008 Kevin rated it it was amazing
from the same author of american hardcore, this book is full of amazing photos from the era,quotes, and scans of memorabilia ... a must have for any fan of rock in the 80s
Nov 26, 2009 S rated it it was amazing
Lots of pictures and quotes, even from the more obscure hair bands, you know, like the ones whose band name was a girl's name.... I loved it... really took me back.
Angel rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2016
Janne Mäkelä
Janne Mäkelä rated it it was ok
Sep 09, 2014
Cory Peters
Cory Peters rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2011
Lynn carberry
Lynn carberry rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2016
Aaron A.
Aaron A. rated it it was ok
Jan 15, 2016
Chris rated it it was ok
Aug 05, 2011
Nov 21, 2007 Marnie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes hair metal & the 80s
This book is awesome, great pictures & stories.
Feral House
Feral House rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2014
John rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2008
Rebecca Mcgraw
Rebecca Mcgraw rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2013
Sven rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2012
Dina Eighties
Dina Eighties rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2014
Leandro rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2013
Deanna rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Steven Blush is an American author, publisher and promoter.
More about Steven Blush...