Start by marking “The Messiah Code” as Want to Read:
The Messiah Code

The Messiah Code

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  985 ratings  ·  61 reviews
At the moment of his supreme triumph, a man of science dodges an assassin's bullet and loses everything that truly matters in his life. Now only a miracle can save Dr. Tom Carter's dying daughter: the blood of salvation shed twenty centuries ago.

Published October 26th 2004 by Avon (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Messiah Code, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Messiah Code

Dani (Pen to Paper)
“At the moment of his supreme triumph, a man of science dodges an assassin’s bullet and loses everything that truly matters in his life. Now only a miracle can save Dr Tom Carter’s dying daughter: the blood of salvation shed twenty centuries ago.
In the volatile heart of the Middle East, amid the devastating secrets of an ancient brotherhood awaiting a new messiah, Tom Carter must search for answers to the mysteries that have challenged humankind since the death and resurrection of the greatest
Fabian Davy
This book was originally titled as 'The Miracle Strain' before miraculously renamed as 'The Messiah Code'. I can't help to wonder if Dan Brown's hit piece had inspired the name change considering that both books hover around the concept of Christ, and his divinity. And I wonder if somehow Dan Brown might have been inspired by this book, knowing that it was first released in 1996 before the Christianity theme exploded into a common theme of fiction these few years.

The main theme of the story revo
First off, let me say this way a terribly schlocky, corny, and ridiculous book. That said, it wasn't a bad read. I often found myself going page after page staying up past my bedtime with a flashlight under the covers and... no of course not.

It's the late 90s and everyone is excited about this great new stuff called DNA. Some are so excited because they've found a magical way to understand people and cure disease. Others are happy because the think they can use vast biometric databases (often i
Thom Swennes
The Miracle Strain by Michael Cordy has a story-line with many prospects. The genes of Christ and the mysteries they may have held. When you mix this with a female assassin the scenario could be very promising. Unfortunately the final result falls far short of what the reader could or should expect. I think Michael Cordy’s pallet missed some essential colors leaving his story rather dull and lackluster. The Miracle Strain is Michael Cordy’s first novel and my first introduction to his work. Alth ...more
Πάνος Τουρλής
Το κλειδί της ζωής, το πρώτο μυθιστόρημα του συγγραφέα, παίζει με τους πιο μύχιους φόβους αλλά και τις ελπίδες του σύγχρονου ανθρώπου -τις κατακτήσεις της επιστήμης στο χώρο της Γενετικής. Η απονομή του Νόμπελ Ιατρικής είναι η στιγμή του θριάμβου γα τον δόκτορα Τομ Κάρτερ, εφευρέτη του Γονοσκοπίου, που "διαβάζει" όλα τα γονίδια του ανθρώπου και μπορεί να προβλέψει τη διάρκεια της ζωής του. Ξαφνικά, όμως, όλα καταρρέουν, όταν η γυναίκα του δολοφονείται από μια σφαίρα που προοριζόταν για τον ίδιο ...more
I got about 100 pages in to this one before I decided to give it up. It was tough to even get up to page 100 and when I brought it home today I realized I wasn't enjoying it so what's the point of continuing. Each page took me a while to get through but I still felt like not much was happening. This reminded me quite a bit of The Da Vinci Code, where a religious group is using their religion as a cover for crimes while other people are trying to educate the world or make it a better place.
Lois Fortez
The premise of this book had all the opportunity to be a thrilling ride for the reader, and many parts of it were. There were several moments where I couldn't put the book down, but once I finished it I just felt disappointed.
The writer's atheistic or agnostic beliefs overshadowed the ultimate storyline, and I think it was to the detriment of the plot. How much more interesting would it have been if the author would have surprised us with a spiritual twist, instead of re-doing the tired "athei
A geneticist and his co-worker have just won a Nobel Prize for their work in developing a computer process to totally decipher the
Genetic code in a fraction of the time it previously took. On the way out of the ceremony a gunman fires at the geneticist but only wounds him but does kill his wife. In the autopsy it is discovered that his wife had brain cancer and would have succumbed shortly and now he is worried that his young daughter will develop it as well. When he runs his daughter’s DNA thr
I'm not normally one for thrillers, let alone biology-themed, Christianity-based thrillers, yet something about The Miracle Strain captured my attention. Is it the all-pervading idea of science vs religion? Almost certainly. It's an argument which surely interests anyone with the slightest hint of intelligent, living through the times that we do, and it certainly is the foundation on which this book is placed. The writing is fine, the plot is fine, the characters are fine. Probably there are ple ...more
Reading this now, halfway thru...hmm what can i say if someone dares to even say things like "getting christ DNA" woooot. And when come to a point when you can see hologram of JC generated from computer programs. But yet so far it has been a page turner book. I can't let the book go rest; always wanted to finish what has been develop/plot by the writer and yet there goes another chapter and another.

Very good read so far will yet review again when comes end.

Well just finish the book. I have to
I read this book quite a long time ago (1998 or 1999), and I still remember it, so that's saying something. It mixed science with religion. I always find those two pairings interesting, even if it angers me. This book made me think, and that is why I remember it. I think it's called something else, now.
There has been talk at one time of trying to clone Jesus Christ should any remains ever be found. In this novel, the scientists' fantasy becomes science fiction, and scientists laboriously manage to reconstruct Jesus' genome, which includes his miraculous powers. Once harnessed, these can be used by the main protagonist to save his little daughter. This totally incredible story is spun into a thriller where the quest for and protection of Christ's remains are shrouded in the mystery of a secret ...more
Didn't like it at all. The story-line was ok, kind of predictable but it's not that you expect a masterpiece from this type of entertainment. I had read the Source and, in spite of all the faults in the book (see my review) I had found it relaxing, entertaining and creative, and that's why I picked up another book by the same writer. Well, this Messiah Code is dark, and gory in a sense that is upsetting and disturbing; most of all I got the feeling that the author fully enjoyed all the gross and ...more
Interesting-very possible
the science!!!
Rosemarie Short
This is a very interesting novel. It takes a lot of risks, which I like, but I can't help but think that this could have been more. They branded this, from the 90's, from The Miracle Strain to The Messiah Code around the time that The Da Vinci Code was released. Surprisingly they both have similar themes and while I'm not a raging fan of either novel I found The Da Vinci Code more gripping while this has a more convincing human story. A good read but could have been better.
another book read on the stationary bike, this sounded familiar, but i had checked to see if it were on my list, and it wasn't. the problem faced by research doctor Tom Carter is that he has learned that his young daughter has the genetic code for a brain tumor and will die soon if he cannot come up with a solution. Mix that up with an ancient group who date back to the time of Christ, several programmed killers, and it is a good read.
I found this book really easy to read and the plot fairly skipped along. The only issue I have with this is the religious content. I'm an atheist but even so I felt a tad uncomfortable with the treating of the subject matter. Nothing I can really put my finger on but just a slight uneasiness as the story was unfolding. Even with that I still gave it a four so that should tell you how much I enjoyed reading it.
Wow. My Uncle gave me a bunch of books and I have never read this author before so I decided to check him out. A science fiction novel that found the genes or DNA of Jesus Christ. An interesting mix. I don't want to ruin it for you, most scientists are atheist's but he manages not to criticize the healing powers of Jesus and still do miraculous things with his science. I was pretty hooked. I liked this book a lot.
Lucio Rodriguez

I have tried to read this book three times, through no fault of the book--each time I got to the middle of the book I would misplace it. Finally, some 5+ years after picking this up, I finished it.

I found the first 3/4 of the book a great build, but after that the story was mostly predictable. Overall, an interesting read, though a bit heavy-handed at times.
Trent Gillespie
A nice little thriller dealing with biblical prophecy, genetics & secret organizations. Nice intrigue & fun to read.
Richard Katz
A fun read. Predictable. Very much in the Da Vinci Code, here-we-go-again-with-the-Templars genre, but hey, it's a fun genre for me. I suppose I like the toggling between scientific futurism and mystico-spiritual historicism. I feel many of those tugs and enjoy the interplay. A first novel by Cordy and I thought a pretty good job.
A good thriller. I think this could be comparable to The Da Vinci Code. Mix of historical religion and science, can the new Messiah be found by science? Can DNA explain miracles? This book gets a thumbs up from me.

Read my full review:
I first read this a few years ago and even today I remember how the first chapter hit me quite hard. The writing is very good, especially at the crucial emotional moments and in the final showdowns. Although the last third seems to slow all in all this was still a very good read that I would recommend.
John Nutting
I have found the story reasonably entertaining so far but have probably realised by now where the story is going and what is likely to unfold. Quite compelling without being spellbinding.
As I believed the end was predictable and entirely foreseen. However a reasonably enjoyable story.
This was a fun book. A bit of bio-science, mystery, action, and a couple of (fairly predictable) twists. Some ethical dilemmas and religious beliefs could be explored from reading this. I liked it, and a good, relaxing read that you want to see how it all plays out!
One of the few books I can read over and over again. Unfortunately the older it gets, the worse the science is and the less believable it becomes. However when it first came out, it was brilliant and I have always had a soft spot for it.
Shefali Thakur
A lovely read. Could guess most of the plot to my dismay, though. Not a hard man to read as a writer ,Cordy. Far-sighted nonetheless, However an anti-climatic story. I should stick to not reading the ends, it was a major disappointment.
The writing in this book is horrible. Poor characterization and stiff/unnatural dialogue plague the book. I gave up after 2 chapters. Cordy introduces what could have been an interesting concept, but his writing ruined it.
Boeiend om te lezen in hoeverre de Genentechnologie zou kunnen gaan. Zeker ook het vraagstuk erachter is een interessante, als je de mogelijk hebt zoals Jezus om naar willekeur te genezen, mag je dan ook willekeurig zijn?
Read this long time ago and loved the story, some great surprises and amazing to think that even back then technology was very close to achieving what it did in the book in terms of DNA, A great crime story if that's your thing.
  • Exposé (Sally Harrington, #1)
  • Carriers
  • Look Away, Beulah Land (Beulah Land, #2)
  • The Tehran Conviction (Jack Teller, #3)
  • The Pegasus Secret
  • The Vines of Yarrabee
  • The Icon
  • Revelation
  • The Omega Theory (Final Theory, #2)
  • The Aztec Heresy (Finn Ryan, #4)
  • The Mask of Atreus
  • At All Costs
  • Scent of a Killer
  • The Genesis Code
  • Gideon's War (Gideon Davis, #1)
  • The Tiger Warrior (Jack Howard, #4)
  • The Lost Temple
  • Trigger City (Ray Dudgeon, #2)
MIchael Cordy's first novel, The Miracle Strain, about the search for the DNA of Christ, was published in over twenty five languages and forty countries. It reached the top five in the Sunday Times Bestseller List and became a bestseller around the world.

Disney bought the film rights for $1.6 million.

Another five novels followed: Crime Zero, Lucifer, True, The Source and the latest THE COLOUR OF
More about Michael Cordy...