Start by marking “The Boyfriend from Hell” as Want to Read:
The Boyfriend from Hell

The Boyfriend from Hell

2.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  70 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Avery Corman blends the spirit of "Sex and the City" with the terror of "Rosemary's Baby" in this romantic psychological thriller. A highly praised observer of contemporary life and author of Kramer vs. Kramer and A Perfect Divorce, Corman zeroes in on single life, modern stress, and religious faith in The Boyfriend From Hell.
Veronica Delaney, single, in her twenties, a f
Published May 2nd 2006 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Boyfriend from Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boyfriend from Hell

Pamela
Mar 06, 2013 Pamela rated it liked it
I truly appreciated the author's ability to use the English language in an intelligent way. There were conversations in the book that I wish I could have joined.

The characters were well developed and the secondary characters were just as fascinating as the primary ones. I liked the plot and the concept of the devil being attracted to the heroine because she was a strong, intelligent woman. I guess Satan loves a challenge.

I do wish that the ending had been less rushed. There was all of this great
Sara Binde
May 08, 2015 Sara Binde rated it liked it
It was an entertaining book. I did finish it, but as I am not a religious person I didn't like the message the book seemed to convey. It was interesting enough to read to the end but I wouldn't recommend it to a friend as one of my top books to read next. It wasn't gripping and I never felt the NEED to read it.
Being male, I believe the author did a good job of portraying the thoughts and actions of a realistic young female.
I can't explain why, but I thought that it was the person who it was (for
Joan
Oct 22, 2009 Joan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Fun and interesting, but the contrite ending threw me for a loop.
Trader (RedHotBlueReads)
This one was a solid 3 stars for me. The writing is good, and the story is told in a way that keeps you turning the pages to find out what happens to Veronica/Ronnie. She's in a heap of trouble, for sure.

Veronica is a young free-lance writer. Her latest project has her researching a local satanic cult, complete with internet presence. In the process, she meets a Satan expert, Richard, who woos her. It was fairly clear from the start that Richard was suspicious, his lifestyle odd, but the sex is
Ionia
Mar 13, 2013 Ionia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the beginning of this book I got a real kick out of the main character. She was witty, funny and drew me into the story right away with her dating woes. I thought the plot was growing more interesting as time went on and I was happy to keep turning pages to find out what happened next. I think this book lost me right around the time that the main character received her first gift. It wasn't that act itself that bothered me as much as her reaction. "Oh how horrible okay I'm over it" was kind o ...more
Amy H
Apr 22, 2013 Amy H rated it liked it
ok, this book totally sucked, but not enough for it to be less stars. if i would have known that this book would be all about devil worship and with all the true facts like a non fiction book, i would have never read it. not saying that i wouldn't read a nonfiction book on religion. its just i thought this book would be about a girl who dated an asshole. lol

this book is about a girl named ronnie aka veronica but never wants to be called that so she goes by ronnie. very weird, and it takes a whil
Katy
Mar 03, 2013 Katy rated it liked it
I really liked this book. The writing, the characters, the story, the progression of the story, everything was great! As usual, I was supposed to be working on a presentation for a class and I was busy reading this book, I just couldn't seem to put it down. Even though it was obvious who the devil was I had to know how it was going to end for Ronnie. But, I also found myself becoming paranoid that maybe other people where involved, like they were Richard's little demon minions and that they may ...more
Elizabeth
Jun 28, 2009 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
I'm glad I stumbled across this on a recent trip to a used book store. Honestly, I enjoyed almost everything about this book other than the ending. It's a very rare book that will make me read every single word of every single sentence of every page, but this one did. I'm planning on seeking out more of Avery Corman's works due to my enchantment with his writing style.

Though this book did contain sexual encounters, I was pleased that Mr. Corman did not find it necessary to devolve into explicit
Naomi
Oct 20, 2014 Naomi rated it liked it
It was pretty good not going to lie I did have nightmares about hell for a moment while reading this.
Al Menaster
Jan 04, 2014 Al Menaster rated it liked it
This was pretty good, and as always with Avery Corman, the writing was wonderful However, this turns out to be in the genre of horror novels, not my favorite.
Samantha
Apr 27, 2010 Samantha rated it liked it
I bought this book on a whim, and I'm glad I did. I found the writing very amusing, and the premise of the story very interesting. The ending of this book was not my favorite, and was very predictable. On the whole, though, the book was definitely worth reading.
Tenille
Nov 14, 2008 Tenille rated it liked it
An interesting book. Presents the devil's ability to assume a human form as fact. Also presses the belief that we allow evil into our lives in ways that we may not be aware of if we are not paying attention. He is a sneaky guy.
Lance
Jul 21, 2011 Lance rated it it was ok
I rated the book too high, but I did finish it skipping though stilted conversations and other odds and ends that appear to be filler and in the end the Church triumphs, but evil still exists and looking for opportunities.
May 03, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was ok
This was so bad, but I refused to give up. I pushed through the boring story and the flat characters and the pages and pages of completely unrealistic dialogue, because I thought the ending would pay off. It didn't.
Brina R
Dec 03, 2009 Brina R rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
At first it seemed very interesting then after a while it just got boring and i didn't want to finish reading it.
Nicole Naranjo
Mar 18, 2013 Nicole Naranjo rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, even though it wasn't what I normally enjoy. It was interesting and amusing.
Shadow101 Rayn
Kayla
Kayla rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2016
Patti
Patti marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Aimee Shaffer
Aimee Shaffer marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Tabitha Jernigan
Tabitha Jernigan marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Sneezep
Sneezep marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Francie Grice
Francie Grice marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Vicki
Vicki marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
Shawn
Shawn marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Brandi Poole
Brandi Poole marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Coralee
Coralee is currently reading it
Feb 22, 2016
Rhonda
Rhonda rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
What's The Name o...: Dating the devil [s] 21 131 Nov 26, 2013 10:02AM
Avery Corman (born November 28, 1935, in the Bronx, New York) is an American novelist.

He is the author of the novel Kramer vs. Kramer (1977) which created a sea change in attitudes toward child custody with the public and in the courts in the United States and internationally. Robert Benton wrote the screenplay and directed the movie of the same name Kramer vs. Kramer (1979) starring Dustin Hoffma
More about Avery Corman...