Start by marking “The Boyfriend from Hell” as Want to Read:
The Boyfriend from Hell

The Boyfriend from Hell

2.69 of 5 stars 2.69  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Avery Corman blends the spirit of "Sex and the City" with the terror of "Rosemary's Baby" in this romantic psychological thriller. A highly praised observer of contemporary life and author of Kramer vs. Kramer and A Perfect Divorce, Corman zeroes in on single life, modern stress, and religious faith in The Boyfriend From Hell.
Veronica Delaney, single, in her twenties, a f
Published May 2nd 2006 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Boyfriend from Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boyfriend from Hell

Pamela
I truly appreciated the author's ability to use the English language in an intelligent way. There were conversations in the book that I wish I could have joined.

The characters were well developed and the secondary characters were just as fascinating as the primary ones. I liked the plot and the concept of the devil being attracted to the heroine because she was a strong, intelligent woman. I guess Satan loves a challenge.

I do wish that the ending had been less rushed. There was all of this great
Sara Binde
It was an entertaining book. I did finish it, but as I am not a religious person I didn't like the message the book seemed to convey. It was interesting enough to read to the end but I wouldn't recommend it to a friend as one of my top books to read next. It wasn't gripping and I never felt the NEED to read it.
Being male, I believe the author did a good job of portraying the thoughts and actions of a realistic young female.
I can't explain why, but I thought that it was the person who it was (for
Joan
Fun and interesting, but the contrite ending threw me for a loop.
Trader (RedHotBlueReads)
This one was a solid 3 stars for me. The writing is good, and the story is told in a way that keeps you turning the pages to find out what happens to Veronica/Ronnie. She's in a heap of trouble, for sure.

Veronica is a young free-lance writer. Her latest project has her researching a local satanic cult, complete with internet presence. In the process, she meets a Satan expert, Richard, who woos her. It was fairly clear from the start that Richard was suspicious, his lifestyle odd, but the sex is
Ionia
In the beginning of this book I got a real kick out of the main character. She was witty, funny and drew me into the story right away with her dating woes. I thought the plot was growing more interesting as time went on and I was happy to keep turning pages to find out what happened next. I think this book lost me right around the time that the main character received her first gift. It wasn't that act itself that bothered me as much as her reaction. "Oh how horrible okay I'm over it" was kind o ...more
Amy H
ok, this book totally sucked, but not enough for it to be less stars. if i would have known that this book would be all about devil worship and with all the true facts like a non fiction book, i would have never read it. not saying that i wouldn't read a nonfiction book on religion. its just i thought this book would be about a girl who dated an asshole. lol

this book is about a girl named ronnie aka veronica but never wants to be called that so she goes by ronnie. very weird, and it takes a whil
Katy
I really liked this book. The writing, the characters, the story, the progression of the story, everything was great! As usual, I was supposed to be working on a presentation for a class and I was busy reading this book, I just couldn't seem to put it down. Even though it was obvious who the devil was I had to know how it was going to end for Ronnie. But, I also found myself becoming paranoid that maybe other people where involved, like they were Richard's little demon minions and that they may ...more
Elizabeth
I'm glad I stumbled across this on a recent trip to a used book store. Honestly, I enjoyed almost everything about this book other than the ending. It's a very rare book that will make me read every single word of every single sentence of every page, but this one did. I'm planning on seeking out more of Avery Corman's works due to my enchantment with his writing style.

Though this book did contain sexual encounters, I was pleased that Mr. Corman did not find it necessary to devolve into explicit
Naomi
It was pretty good not going to lie I did have nightmares about hell for a moment while reading this.
Nenia Campbell
You can read more reviews at my blog, The Armchair Librarian!

Can I say how much I love Open Roadpublishing for re-releasing all these classics? I've found some real goodies I probably never would have read otherwise, including the Pulitzer prize-winning Keepers of the House.The Boyfriend from Hell is no exception; it's written by the man who authored Kramer vs Kramer.

Veronica Delaney is a freelance writer who has had a string of bad relationships. One day she gets an assignment to interview a lo
Al Menaster
This was pretty good, and as always with Avery Corman, the writing was wonderful However, this turns out to be in the genre of horror novels, not my favorite.
Samantha
I bought this book on a whim, and I'm glad I did. I found the writing very amusing, and the premise of the story very interesting. The ending of this book was not my favorite, and was very predictable. On the whole, though, the book was definitely worth reading.
Tenille
An interesting book. Presents the devil's ability to assume a human form as fact. Also presses the belief that we allow evil into our lives in ways that we may not be aware of if we are not paying attention. He is a sneaky guy.
Lance
I rated the book too high, but I did finish it skipping though stilted conversations and other odds and ends that appear to be filler and in the end the Church triumphs, but evil still exists and looking for opportunities.
Brina R
At first it seemed very interesting then after a while it just got boring and i didn't want to finish reading it.
Nicole Naranjo
I enjoyed this book, even though it wasn't what I normally enjoy. It was interesting and amusing.
Shadow101 Rayn
Tyler Stremming
Tyler Stremming marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Melanie.S
Melanie.S marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Diane
Diane added it
May 31, 2015
Asprey
Asprey marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Shirley
Shirley marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Haley
Haley marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
What's The Name o...: Dating the devil [s] 21 131 Nov 26, 2013 10:02AM
Avery Corman (born November 28, 1935, in the Bronx, New York) is an American novelist.

He is the author of the novel Kramer vs. Kramer (1977) which created a sea change in attitudes toward child custody with the public and in the courts in the United States and internationally. Robert Benton wrote the screenplay and directed the movie of the same name Kramer vs. Kramer (1979) starring Dustin Hoffma
More about Avery Corman...
Kramer vs. Kramer The Old Neighborhood A Perfect Divorce Oh, God! Prized Possessions