Start by marking “The High-Velocity Edge” as Want to Read:
The High-Velocity Edge

The High-Velocity Edge

Generate faster, better results�using less capital and fewer resources!

Toyota, Alcoa, Pratt & Whitney, and the U.S. Navy's Nuclear Power Program operate in vastly different worlds, but they have one thing in common. Each of these organizations generates constant, almost automatic operational self-improvements at rates faster, durations longer, and breadths wider than

Unknown Binding, 432 pages
Published (first published 2010)

Ray Angelone
Jan 06, 2017 Ray Angelone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book - wraps up in a set of principles and examples why some companies accelerate away from their peers in a systematic view of organizations that discover and swarm problems, implement countermeasures, learn continuously and the active development of problem solving skills of others in the org.
Regina
May 16, 2016 Regina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We were assigned to read this book by our boss at work. I wasn’t expecting to get much out of this book, but I found it very enriching. I took in a lot of ideas in this book however, I have one gigantic matter that keeps me from really having faith that the practices in this book can work. That is the question of the Human Ego; especially the American Ego. While the practices the author describes in the book work for Japanese companies in Japan, the author fails to address the differences in cul ...more
Henrique Soarez
Nov 02, 2015 Henrique Soarez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took me 5 months to read this book. Along the way it spawned a multi-year project if not an all-together new way of thinking.

The only downside is it's treatment of Toyota's recent recalls. It devotes only 1.5 pages in the end. I had hoped the author had further developed the issue, but found nothing on his website but a couple of broken links.

But the book should become a classic, nevertheless. Side-by-side with Goldratt's The Goal.
Gamingtildawn
Jul 01, 2015 Gamingtildawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Should be a requirement of all managers regardless of the industry they come from...using real companies and industries, we learn how not to just handle problems or create work arounds but learn the cause of problems, create a solution and continue to learn and develop. Simple rules, harder to put in action.
Well written, great examples and powerful charts & process documents.
Jack Vinson
Dec 30, 2012 Jack Vinson rated it it was amazing
This book was given to the attendees at the Lean Software & Systems Conference this year, as Steven Spear was one of the keynote speakers. Excellent description of his 4 key characteristics of these companies, and it fits nicely with my interests in knowledge management too.

Further thoughts on my blog. http://blog.jackvinson.com/archives/2...
Anton Van der vloet
What a great book. It takes conventional Lean knowledge for granted and adds a layer of simple, easy to follow principles underneath that.

For me it belongs in the top row, right up there with Toyota Kata, the Toyota way and the Lean Startup. Five stars.
William "Spig"
Jan 13, 2016 William "Spig" rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book made me ask a lot of question of how I could apply this within the Naval Aviation culture. Not sure. How hard it would be to get buy in. In the right atmosphere it could really take off but the status quo is really hard to fight again I am ready to give it a great effort and try.
Torbjörn
Aug 06, 2012 Torbjörn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Contains a good number of insightful nuggets, a few good stories and quite a few too many pages.
Some of the "supporting" evidence and stories really doesn't mature in to anything and in their half-baked state simply occupy page-space that could have been better used.

Diana Post
Jul 19, 2013 Diana Post rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than the previous few Lean manufacturing books we've read, and provided more interesting stories and anecdotes, as well as a step-by-step how-to guide.
Pianogirl1126
Aug 11, 2014 Pianogirl1126 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book for work; it has a lot of great ideas in it and the stories are very relatable. I enjoyed reading it very much
Nathan Collier
Oct 12, 2012 Nathan Collier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic read for anyone with a job. Don't accept workarounds. Don't firefight. Identify problems, swarm them, and solve them.
Boonserm
Boonserm rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2012
Greg
Greg rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2015
A Hull
A Hull rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2015
John
John rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2014
Adam
Adam rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2013
Deb
Deb rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2015
Tim Tyler
Tim Tyler rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2016
Sergey Kononenko
Sergey Kononenko rated it really liked it
May 30, 2013
George
George rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2013
Hussein Ahmed
Hussein Ahmed rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2013
Mark Casey
Mark Casey rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2016
Steven G Beamer
Steven G Beamer rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2014
Joyce
Joyce rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2013
Andrew A.
Andrew A. rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2012
Gordon G. Harter
Gordon G. Harter rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2015
Justin Arbuckle
Justin Arbuckle rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2016
Juan
Juan rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2013
Eduard
Eduard rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2013
Marc E
Marc E rated it it was ok
Mar 31, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Toyota Kata: Managing People for Improvement, Adaptiveness and Superior Results
  • Managing The Design Factory:  A Product Developer's Toolkit
  • The Logical Thinking Process: A Systems Approach to Complex Problem Solving
  • A Factory of One: Applying Lean Principles to Banish Waste and Improve Your Personal Performance
  • Impact Mapping: Making a Big Impact with Software Products and Projects
  • Developing Products in Half the Time: New Rules, New Tools
  • The Gold Mine: A Novel of Lean Turnaround
  • The Art of Action: How Leaders Close the Gaps between Plans, Actions and Results
  • Management Rewired: Why Feedback Doesn't Work and Other Surprising Lessons from the Latest Brain Science
  • Velocity: Combining Lean, Six Sigma and the Theory of Constraints to Achieve Breakthrough Performance - A Business Novel
  • Katharine Graham's Washington
  • My Life on the Rock: A Rebel Returns to the Catholic Faith
  • Adrenaline Junkies and Template Zombies: Understanding Patterns of Project Behavior
  • Instructions to the Cook: A Zen Master's Lessons in Living a Life That Matters
  • The Georgetown Ladies' Social Club: Power, Passion, and Politics in the Nation's Capital
  • Fearless Change: Patterns for Introducing New Ideas