Start by marking “The Griff: A Graphic Novel” as Want to Read:
The Griff: A Graphic Novel

The Griff: A Graphic Novel

3.06 of 5 stars 3.06  ·  rating details  ·  1,103 ratings  ·  181 reviews

The alien's four-step plan to conquer our planet included the attack of minivan-sized griffin-like dragons and the destruction of all humankind. Into that ominous sounding onslaught wanders a trio of earthly survivors who don't seem to take anything too seriously. Writer Christopher Moore and artist Ian Corson have created a graphic novel that could probably keep even its

Published July 19th 2011 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Griff, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Griff

Fables, Vol. 1 by Bill WillinghamRunaways, Vol. 1 by Brian K. VaughanI Kill Giants by Joe KellyBone by Jeff SmithThe Unwritten, Vol. 1 by Mike Carey
Reading Rants! Graphic Fantastic
52nd out of 82 books — 43 voters
Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. VaughanWatchmen by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanY by Brian K. VaughanHawkeye, Vol. 1 by Matt Fraction
Graphic Novels that are Quality
311th out of 407 books — 265 voters

More lists with this book...

Amanda
Hey, Michael Bay, I found your next movie concept! And you can't screw this one up because it comes pre-fucked. Inexplicable, ridiculous threat to humanity? Check. Shallow characters? Check. Nonsensical plot with holes big enough to drive Optimus Prime through? Check. Cliche action dialogue? Check. Females who offer little more than T & A? Check and check.

Now, where do I go to pick up my finder's fee?

I love Christopher Moore's novels. His zany sense of humor, hilarious dialogue, and obvious
Dan Schwent
Aliens resembling griffons attack the earth and decimate much of the population. Two groups of people struggle to survive. But why have the Griff come to earth anyway?

The Griff is a graphic novel based on a movie script Christopher Moore worked on with Ian Corson in order to get out of working on one of his other novels. True story. Says so in the introduction. The story is your standard Hollywood apocalyptic disaster movie, only with griffons flying around attacking people.

The two groups of sur
Vicious
Having just come off reading (okay, listening to - but it was unabridged) Moore's "Fool" - I was in the mood for more of his manic, madcap voice.

I'm also a graphic novel junkie, and will give most stories a good benefit of the doubt if they're accompanied by serial artwork - it's two creative minds for the price of one!

So, this was disappointing.

The story was flat. I appreciated the set up, though. The world is invaded and destroyed by the dragon-like "Griff", which is done well enough - if not
Mara
Cool drawings, but it says a lot for my love of Christopher Moore that his introduction was kind of my favorite part. The story, for some reason, reminded me a lot of Deep Blue Sea (which is one of those movies that is always on TNT or USA or whatever at 2pm on Sunday afternoons).
Eric
Jul 26, 2011 Eric rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone that likes graphic novels, everyone that likes Chris Moore
Recommended to Eric by: Christopher Moore
I pre-ordered this book for two reasons: 1) Christopher Moore is awesome, and I want to see how his humor and style translate to the graphic novel medium, and 2) I love graphic novels, and I want to see how they translate to the digital medium of the Kindle. So, lots of medium changing coming in late July.

As for 1), all I can say is wow. It was funny without being too farcical, with great characters and dialogue (which is what I've come to expect from Christopher Moore), and it was beautifully i
Donald Armfield
I disagree with Moore saying he thought this was better as a graphic novel. Heck if he thought something needed a picture, he could of put it in the novel.

The world getting taken over by Griffs is better sounding right now instead of a plague or zombies. Christopher Moore should of made this a novel.

Overall I say the artist did some good artwork. And still had the funny Moore character background but just to short. Mo was a sexy looking piece of artwork as well
William Thomas
Christopher Moore, the American answer to Terry Pratchett, takes the graphic novel out for a test drive and fails miserably. Moore has absolutely no idea how to script a comic book, and absolutely no idea how to transition from one page to another or one period of time to another. The book reads like a poorly made video game introduction rather than a memorable comic.
Scott
Alien invasion, 6 billion people dead from invading griffins - what's not to like?
And I did enjoy this graphic novel because of the plot idea but I didn't love it. It would have made a fantastic 600 page novel but that just wasn't enough room to fully explore the idea in one graphic novel so I was left wanting. Wanting more story, more answers, more depth.

So I'd say it was average - got it from the library so it didn't cost me anything and it was a fun way to spend an hour on a Saturday night.
Cathy
It was fun. I could certainly see it as a movie script, which is what the authors originally intended, and I think it was a fun attempt as a first graphic novel for Moore. (I'm glad he did his own thing and didn't get pulled into an established franchise, that would have been a mistake.) I don't think he quite got the technique of differentiating the different voices, they did all kind of sound alike to me, without the visual clues I would have been pretty lost except for Mo. Pretty much everyon ...more
Susie
As Costner has his "Waterworld", so too does Moore have his "Griff". (To be fair, I've never made it all the way through "Waterworld"- maybe it turns out to be an awesome movie towards the end...). I adore Christopher Moore, but this book was a bore. (hee hee) I don't actually pick up many, er almost any, graphic novels so I don't have much of a base for comparison. I just couldn't get into the story and I felt confused about what was going on when the storyline kept switching back and forth bet ...more
Alex Telander
Bestselling author Christopher Moore got to know Ian Corson some time ago, as they began working on the screenplay for his book, Coyote Blue, but the movie never happened. Years later Moore got this idea for a story that could best be told through the medium of the graphic novel. The image he had was of attacking alien dragons from outer space. He finally got together with his friend, Ian Corson, and they wrote The Griff.

Moore and Corson don’t spend long telling of the invasion, but before you k
Brittany Stevens
As an avid Christopher Moore fan and an amateur graphic novel reader wanting to delve deeper into the medium, I picked up The Griff looking for a fun, snark-filled romp through the apocalypse. The story, however, leaves much to be desired. The artwork is beautiful, but that means nothing when so much is lost in translation. For instance, most of my reading experience came from trying to decipher what was going on within the panels. Part of this came from the fact that I had difficulty following ...more
Megan Hogue
While the story was very entertaining (it's Christopher Moore... how can it not be?)... it was VERY choppy. From one page to the next five weeks had gone by and the reader didn't know about it until a character finally bothered to mention it. It was also very visual with not a lot of dialogue, which I kinda wasn't fond of (I LOVE Chris Moore, so I just wish there could've been more of HIM in there). I know this is a "graphic novel", but a lot of other graphic novels I read (ie: the "Fables" seri ...more
Jan Polep
...and now for something completely different, try the new adult graphic novel by Christopher Moore. Author usually writes witty man against supernaturals, sometimes set on the west coast but this one is set on the east coast as a few hardy misfits try to take down the Griffin type monsters who are eating their way through the planet Earth. This one was so much fun that I read it twice. Artwork is outstanding and author's toss away one-liners will make you laugh outloud...but you need a warped s ...more
Steve
There are some Christopher Moore books I've really enjoyed, and some that I've been "meh" about. I was intrigued by the idea of a graphic novel from the guy who created one of the more interesting vampire stories I'd read in a while. Unfortunately, this story did not live up to my expectations.

The foreword explains that this story came from a script that was supposed to be filmed. I can't even imagine how that would have gone - in theory, a graphic novel can be as long as you want it to be, and
Stefon
Stefon Uwaezuoke
The Griff Review

This Graphic novel, The Griff by Christopher Moore, would be enjoyed by a person that enjoys action and adventure books because this book appeals to a sense of fiction and has many aspects that normal action novels have like explosions, guns, monsters, attacks on the human race, etc. If you like to read mystery or love books, then this is will not be very appealing to you.
The story is humorous and action packed although the characters are generally light minde
Richard Gartee
This is a graphic novel based on a screenplay so it is a very quick read. Basically PG except one F word and no nudity (the hot babes are always strategically covered--although somewhat provocatively dressed.) Christopher Moore is best know for his humorous novels, but this one has only one or two funny lines of dialogue. The art work is well done and fans of graphic novels will not be disappointed in the quality.
The story would make a good movie, though the authors were convinced it'd never ge
Meaghan
Meh. This was okay, I guess. I'm not a big fan of either graphic novels or science fiction and only read this book because it was co-written by Christopher Moore, author of some excruciatingly funny books that I just love. But this book was neither funny enough nor scary enough to satisfy me. I probably would have appreciated it more if I were into graphic novels and books about alien invasions.
Patrick
I'm a big fan of Christopher Moore's stuff, bordering on being a huge fan, really.....

So I was really looking forward to this graphic novel. But while I liked it well enough, it didn't really have the same sparkle and cleverness so many of his other books show. It didn't piss me off or anything, it was a perfectly adiquite story. But neither did it really thrill me.
Ralph McEwen
I am not a fan of graphic novels and this one has not changed my status. I picked it up because of the author hoping for some of his magic with stories to be able to combine with some art work and make a better novel. I was disappointed. While the art work is well done, the story is so disjointed, I was often left wondering what just happened.
Mike
It wasn't bad, but I was expecting much more laugh out humor given the Christoper Moore was listed as the main author. I could see this a summer blockbuster over the top Michael Bay sort of movie though.
Colona Public Library
This book has enjoyable illustrations and an amazing character named Liz who is an ocean world trainer. This book would have been amazing if it was just about her survival through this Griff Apocalypse. Liz manages to train monsters and keep her ocean animals alive while an alien invasion is going on. How cool!!

This book is really hard to place a time-line to this book. How long did the griff had attacked earth for? I have no idea. The characters (with the exception of Liz) aren't very interesti
David Skies
Well . . . that was stupid.
Devi
As a huge fan of Christopher Moore, I was excited for his foray into the world of graphic novels. Unfortunately, this book isn't what I was hoping it would be. The story line is decent but not stellar with a few moments that give you the familiar, warm, silly feeling of reading Christopher Moore. However, the artwork left a lot to be desired. The actual look of the characters and overall art was pleasing to the eye but didn't feel terribly new, especially for a story of this kind. The real downf ...more
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: I read every new book by the author and was quite excited about his first foray into the graphic novel.

The publisher's description of this book pretty much tells the whole story and makes it sound a lot more fun than it really is. Moore is well-known for his eccentric characters and I just didn't have any fun with those in this graphic novel. I found the story quite predictable, the usual run-of-the-mill, alien invasion story. There weren't any surprises and it just fell real
*Queen Diva*
I cannot believe it took me so long to read this book!! Christopher Moore is my favorite author in the entire world, and I've had this book for well over a year now (I got it when Borders was closing *tear* so a while ago!), and it has just been sitting on my shelf. Well, shame on me.

Well, thanks to my own stupidity (I'm currently reading Ranma 1/2 and checking the books out at the library about 5 books at a time... so when I checked out this wave, apparently I thought the numbers went from 18 t
Sean
This graphic novel seemed like a home run to me. I'm a huge Christopher Moore fan, having read all but two of his novels and list him as my favorite writer. Add to that the fact that I have been an avid comic book reader for sixteen years. I have often said that many of Moore's works would be perfect for an animated show on the likes of Comedy Central or HBO. That isn't a far stretch from a graphic novel. Here however what I read was lacking so much. Overall, the plot is interesting and a small ...more
I feel so dirty giving this 2 stars...it's Christopher Moore for god sake.

I'm a big fan and have been since around about 1993 when I saw a stand of Practical Demonkeeping paperbacks outside a B Dalton or Waldenbooks at our local mall and thought 'hey, this looks interesting' (clearly it was more than interesting)...so it really pains me not to like The Griff.

I have read graphic novels before - I found this one hard to follow - several times I wasn't sure which panel I was supposed to look at nex
Rachel Searcey
Like everyone else here, I feel terrible giving anything Moore wrote less than a 4. His novels are fantastic, this graphic novel is a bomb.

The writing is bland, unemotional and predictable. The story progression is disjointed- time and place skips ahead with no explanation or warning. For example, 5 weeks passed but I didn't know until a character blatantly said it. The characters all blend together, and new characters are seen so briefly it makes you wonder why they're even there.

The plot is im
Jay
Jul 07, 2012 Jay rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
My first thought when I saw this book: No way! A graphic novel by Christopher Moore!

I was just browsing and enjoying the air conditioning before I headed back out to the furnace and my car with broken A/C, not really looking for a book to follow me home.

On the way home, I realized that my son (a new and ravenous Christopher Moore fan, plus a long-time graphic novel and manga reader) would love this book. I didn't expect he'd hand it back to me less than 2 hours later with explanations that incl
  • Incorruptible, Vol. 2
  • Husbands
  • Solomon's Thieves, Book One
  • The Middleman: The Collected Series Indispensability
  • Digger, Volume Five
  • Joe Golem and the Drowning City: An Illustrated Novel
  • Over The Wall
  • Faradawn (The Fog Mound)
  • The Guild: Knights of Good (The Guild, vol. 2)
  • Curses! Foiled Again (Foiled, #2)
  • Hitchers
  • Takio
  • My Boyfriend Bites (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #3)
  • Daisy Kutter: The Last Train
  • Fight Like a Girl: A Short Story Anthology
  • Malinky Robot: Collected Stories and Other Bits
  • Broxo
  • Green

Christopher Moore (born 1957 in Toledo, Ohio) is an American writer of absurdist fiction. He grew up in Mansfield, OH, and attended Ohio State University and Brooks Institute of Photography in Santa Barbara, CA.

Moore's novels typically involve conflicted everyman characters
More about Christopher Moore...
Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal A Dirty Job (Grim Reaper, #1) Bloodsucking Fiends (A Love Story, #1) Fool You Suck (A Love Story, #2)

“Earth was totally unprepared for an enemy made of meat.” 3 likes
“There's something out on the wing.
Sir I can assure you that--Fuck, there's something out on the wing.
Told you.”