Start by marking “Spectre Star Trek” as Want to Read:
Spectre Star Trek

Spectre Star Trek (Star Trek: The Mirror Universe Trilogy #1)

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  819 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Retired and happily in love, Kirk believes his adventuring days are over. But as he returns to Earth for the first time since his apparent "death" upon the Enterprise-B, events elsewhere in the galaxy set in motion a mystery that may provide Kirk with his greatest challenge yet. The Enterprise-E, under the command of Captain Jean-Luc Picard, is exploring an unstable region ...more
Published May 1st 1998 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Spectre Star Trek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spectre Star Trek

Cherie
May 27, 2015 Cherie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
I cannot get enough! On to the next, Dark Victory to see what happens. :0)
Leo
Sep 30, 2011 Leo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Shatner is no literary genius, but this book was fun. There are a lot of problems with the writing, inconsistencies in the plot, and muddled motivations of supporting characters, but I want to touch on the things I did like. Shatner is most definitely a Trekkie and it shows in this book. He knows the story lines, the Star Trek lore and the characters very well. No one writes Kirk better than Shatner for obvious reasons. In the dialogue (especially between Kirk, Bones and Spock) you can really he ...more
Matt Pollicove
Apr 20, 2016 Matt Pollicove rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I'm giving the same review to all the books in this part of the "Shatnerverse"

I basically enjoyed them, being fans of his co-authors, Garfield Reeves-Stevens and Judith Reeves-Stevens.

The stories were better than average, and the author / editor team, knew their ST history, touching just about every branch established so far in the "Prime" timeline. I don't remember if there were any Archer era references.

It was pleasant, it was entertaining, it did the job. The books mostly moved along, woul
Leo
Feb 22, 2015 Leo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This book breaks all the rules given to the authors of Star Trek novels such as:
Don't bring back to life characters that are dead or should be dead by know, don't mix classic series characters with Next Generations or the characters of other series, don't bring characters to a timeline when they shouldn't be, don't base your novel on episodes from the TV show, etc.
The parallel Universe storyline was kind of over used in the Star Trek Enterprise series and this book came out years before that sho
Graham
Jul 10, 2014 Graham rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A decent yarn, the Shatner/Kirk ego did get a bit much at times I thought though as Kirk appears to be totally invincible - all the same, it is what it is - and it is a decent book that isn't totally ruined by trekie babble
Sean Randall
the mirror Universe is hardly an overdone trek concept, and I can only admire the level of detail that went into the research for the characterisations. It's quite a thrilling read, although everything is Kirk, Kirk, Kirk.
Joshua Lemke
Aug 05, 2014 Joshua Lemke rated it really liked it
Shatner knows how to grab a persons attention. While he mostly over-exaggerated his character, like he did in the TV series and movies, he stayed true to the Star Trek fans and have them something they wanted.
Marianne
Apr 03, 2016 Marianne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always I'm a Trek Fan and this book has what Trek fans are looking to read.

The book starts out with Jim Kirk fighting with a tree stump in a field on a planet named Chal. We learn that he is no longer with Starfleet, but with a woman he considers to be his heart. He also has stayed out of the call up for the Dominian/Alliance fight, which he's not sure was a good or bad thing for him.

Telilani sends him to a conference on earth h, because she sees the fight that he is having with himself and f
James
This book reads like fan-fiction in both good and bad ways. (Yes, there are good ways to be like fanfic.)

The good ways:
It has tons of "OMG! That is so cool!" moments and weaves in a lot of Star Trek lore. There are appearances by lots of characters and/or their mirror-universe duplicates. I am guessing Shatner had a lot of assistance from his co-authors with the Star Trek lore because I don't see him knowing so much about TNG, DS9 or Voyager (all of which are mentioned and used at some way duri
***Dave Hill
Oct 13, 2011 ***Dave Hill rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Masochists
Shelves: audiobook
Star Trek: Spectre is either evidence that Bill Shatner cannot write, or that he cannot hire a decent ghost writer. On my worst day as an author, at my most ill-plotting and melodramatic and awkward and pretentious (all of which I manage to achieve high levels in when I’m not careful, and sometimes when I am), I don’t come near to the crowning achievements in this novel.

Now throw in Bill Shatner doing the narration. And cheesy sound effects.

Let’s see — in the first 20 minutes or so of this 2-cas
Steven Shinder
Nov 12, 2013 Steven Shinder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Following the Odyssey trilogy, Star Trek: Spectre continues the adventures of Captain James Tiberius Kirk in the twenty-fourth century. This novel takes place in the year 2375. The prologue and first chapter are inconsistent with chronology (the events of Star Trek: First Contact are said to have taken place a year prior as opposed to 2372 as stated in Star Trek: Avenger, and the virogen crisis in Avenger, which took place 2373, is, at one point, said to have taken place two years before this no ...more
RumBelle
Mar 31, 2016 RumBelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
This trilogy is my favorite of Shatner's. The storylines, and new characters are so inventive and the familiar characters just how you remember them. For anyone who ever wondered what happened to the Mirror Universe Spock after the Original Series episode, this trilogy answers that. That Spock has returned, along with the evil Mirror Universe Kirk. It took real Kirk and Picard and their crews and friends together to stop Mirror Universe Kirk's foul plans.
Shane Amazon
Sep 08, 2013 Shane Amazon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book one of the Shatner Mirror Universe series, William Shatner along with the duo of Garfield and Judith Reeves-Stevens produce a nonstop action packed galactic size quest of epic proportions. Kirk, Spock, Janeway, Scotty, Bones, who could ask for anything more? Well, we could and they provide. Not only one Spock, not only one Kirk but duplicates galore.

With a threat that could very well change his life forever Kirk is forced to rejoin an organization he long ago left behind. An organization th
Nancy Townsend
A new trilogy about good old Captain Kirk, set in the Mirror universe as well as ours, still over-the-top and great fun.
J
Apr 24, 2015 J rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been a Trekker since I saw the first episode on TV in the early 70's, it's lite fun reading. I've liked Shatner's other books, The 'Tek"one's although disappointed with the TV series. Good easy enjoyable read.
Susan
Feb 28, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

An enjoyable romp through the Trek universe. It isn't great sci-fi writing, and Shatner's ego is very present, but,really, what else would you expect? That's what makes him Shatner/Kirk. He stayed pretty true to the premise of Trek and the characters he wrote about.It ended in a cliff hanger and I am looking forward to the next book! An easy, enjoyable read for any Trekkie.
Michael
May 26, 2012 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the fourth in a series of six books (actually, two trilogies). This series was my introduction to Star Trek novels, and I very much enjoyed these books. I actually read them out of order by mistake, and then re-read the whole thing in the correct order. Good stuff for the avid Trek fan!

(Note: if you think Shatner really wrote these books, you don't know much about publishing. His ghost writers, the Reeves-Stevenses, deserve the kudos here.)
Melinda
This was really well-written, but my suspension of disbelief fell out in the road. It's cool but for a series that lives on unbelievable premises, this is too much for me. It's like when you're eating a bunch of caramel corn with peanuts, and then you switch to caramel corn with almonds and pecans, and then you switch to caramel corn with almonds and pecans and cover it with chocolate--delicious but don't overdo it!
Chris
Jan 12, 2011 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant book. The Star Trek Universe fully realized and Captain Kirk at his finest and most daring. Also Captain Kirk at his worst. In Specter we meet the occupants of the Mirror Universe, a nightmarish world were all the good of the Trek universe we know and love is turned inside out. Has Kirk finally met the one opponent that can defeat him? Good Kirk vs. Evil Kirk in a ultimate Trek showdown.
Paxton Holley
First part of Shatner's Mirror Universe trilogy. This is a rough start to the trilogy. I almost wanted to stop here. As he is written, Kirk is very whiny and not a lot of fun. About 200 pages in the action kicks in and Kirk's character downshifts back into "Kirk". The last 100 pages are GREAT.
Devero
Aug 31, 2013 Devero rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
L'Universo dello Specchio fa il suo ingresso nella Next Generation. Non ho mai gradito troppo il ritorno a quella sottotrama della serie originale, ma devo dire che qui la trama è ben costruita anche se a tratti scarsamente leggibile per i non appassionati di Star Trek.
Todd
Aug 02, 2011 Todd rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read a few of the Shatner Star Trek novels, and I love the plot of this one ... but the execution could have been better. Not the best one he has done, but a decent set up for a real battle with the Mirror Universe.
Mikael Kuoppala
May 17, 2012 Mikael Kuoppala rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit too heavily action packed and less substantial, this Trek book by Shatner and Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens is still a joy to read due to its wonderfully ambitious plotting.
Bob Bello
Aug 02, 2011 Bob Bello rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is Shatner at his best! Best storytelling, best language, writing style--everything! I believe this is his best Star Trek book written to date. Highly recommended!
Kreg
Jan 18, 2013 Kreg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Not bad. Gives some interesting new details about the Mirror Universe, but there are numerous plot holes which can be distracting.
Alessandro
This one was better than I expected. Well... I didn't expected very much to begin with. It feels like an OK Star Trek episode.
John
Dec 22, 2012 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shatner knows star trek well. I loved how all the characters from the best series got together and the mirror universe too!
Nicolas
Dec 14, 2015 Nicolas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
I loved this book! The mirror trilogy was by far my favorite of the Shatnerverse of novels.
Amelia
Jul 05, 2013 Amelia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kirk is like John McClane in space. An amusing read if you can just take that attitude.
Richard
Star Trek is Star Trek. It was nice to have a mirror universe read though.
  • Federation
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation: Crossover
  • Probe
  • Sarek
  • Fallen Heroes
  • Best Destiny (Star Trek)
  • Time's Enemy (Star Trek Deep Space Nine, #16; Invasion, #3)
  • Vulcan's Forge
  • Q-Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation #48; The Q Continuum, #2)
  • Antimatter
  • The Soldiers of Fear (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #41; Invasion, #2)
  • Home Is the Hunter
William Shatner is the author of nine Star Trek novels, including the New York Times bestsellers The Ashes of Eden and The Return. He is also the author of several nonfiction books, including Get a Life! and I'm Working on That. In addition to his role as Captain James T. Kirk, he stars as Denny Crane in the hit television series from David E. Kelley, Boston Legal -- a role for which he has won tw ...more
More about William Shatner...

Star Trek: The Mirror Universe Trilogy (3 books)
  • Dark Victory (Star Trek: The Mirror Universe Trilogy, #2)
  • Preserver (Star Trek: The Mirror Universe Trilogy, #3)