Start by marking “The Last Heroes (Men At War, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Last Heroes (Men At War, #1)

The Last Heroes (Men at War #1)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  1,528 ratings  ·  31 reviews
June, 1941. Determined that the United States will be prepared for war, Franklin D. Roosevelt and "Wild Bill" Donovan orchestrate the most complex espionage organization in history, the Office of Strategic Services. Young and daring, the OSS assemble under a thin camouflage of diplomacy and then disperse throughout the world to conduct their operations. And no operation is...more
Published September 1st 1998 by Jove Books (first published January 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Heroes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Heroes

Jarek
The Last Heroes by W.E.B. Griffin is the first in the series of novels about the Office of Strategic Services (OSS), which was an intelligence agency formed during World War II. The agency ceased to exist soon after the war, but it's often perceived as the predecessor of the CIA, which was established two years after OSS had been officially disbanded

Despite an interesting subject, there is very little action in this novel. The storyline focuses on the social life of the main characters, their in...more
Keith
After reading this book, I've come to the conclusion it's a wonder the Allies ever won the war. How could they possibly have found the time? I'm sure they were much to exhausted from sleeping with every person they came in contact with to fight a war. Imagine a book about World War II, with only a couple of battles briefly mentioned. I'll probably read the next in the series, just to see if it gets any better, but I'm not holding out a lot of hope.
David Ward
The Men At War Series (Office of Strategic Services), Book I: The Last Heroes by W.E.B. Griffin (Jove 1985) (Fiction – Military). In June 1941, FDR and “Wild Bill” Donovan create the most audacious intelligence gathering organization on earth with the stroke of a pen. This is the story of those men. My rating: 7/10, finished 1986.
Linda Munro
Based on events from America's history, this book reads as if it is actually history in the making. Whhile it tends to add details of reality at an unbelieveable rate which slows the reader down, sometimes thwarting reader attention, it is close enough to truth that the reader needs to continue.
In this, the first book in the 'Men at War' series, 'wild' Bill Donovon handpicks members for his OSS (Office of Stretegic Services) program. Camoflaged as men of diplomacy, the newest members of the OS...more
Michael Harrington
I have often looked at Griffin's books, but finally started reading them recently. I like the two I have read, and look forward to reading more. Historically based, the two I have read are good. Easy to read, engrossing, and enjoyable. I like the recurring characters and the WW II settings.
Richard
This is a great read and the author really builds up the characters slowly and without any fuss, so by the time the action starts about two thirds through the book, you really have got to know the main characters.

The storyline flis all over the America and then into Asia and Africa. His writing is very smooth and simple and no fancy big words, but his story telling is superb. As I love my history as well, his mix of fiction and reals facts is seamless and extremely educational.

I was sorely temp...more
Dipanjan
Mr. Griffins spins the yarn quite lucidly with this WWII military drama. This is the first volume of Men At War series. This volume is primarily a build up. He introduces 3 rich kids and 1 middle class kid and helps us understand their background, their kinship and their general outlook towards life. He builds each character strongly that helps the reader to strongly relate with them. As I said, this is a military saga - part history, part fiction. This book tells the story of the conceptualizat...more
Eric
Not what I expected. I have only read one other Griffin novel and it was much better. Not ready to give up on him yet, but close.
Tom
Determined that the United States will be prepared for war, Franklin D. Roosevelt and "Wild Bill" Donovan orchestrate the most complex espionage organization in history, the Office of Strategic Services. Young and daring, the OSS assemble under a thin camouflage of diplomacy and then disperse throughout the world to conduct their operations. And no operation is more critical than the one being conducted by hotshot pilot Richard Canidy and his half-German friend Eric Fulmar: to secure the rare o...more
Will
The Origin of the Flying Tigers and the Fall of the Philippines. A pack of high school buds spread pollen to the ends of the earth as Naval aviator pups Canidy and Bitter end up in the Flying Tigers in China and Jimbo ends up in the PI. Events unfolding in the states and Europe draw Canidy back to rescue his bud Eric Fulmar from the wilds of Morocco after he becomes a five star ace. Jimbo is sucked out of Corregidor at the last minute with MacArthur for unkown mission. All are sucked into the vo...more
Peter
I'd give this 2 1/2 stars if the system would allow it. This book isn't particularly deep or impressive, but as a break from college studies, it was nice. Overall, the plot reads like a really long intro chapter, as there's no greater story arc. Just a few guys getting sent into various parts of a war. Hopefully the rest of the series will flesh it out more.
Lewis Weinstein
The premise is great, and I kept waiting for the story to raise to the level of its potential. It never did. There was very little tension in any of the story lines, and I could never quite care about any of the characters. I almost put it down several times, but the reputation of the author kept me reading. In the end, I did not feel my persistence was rewarded.
William
A combination of Clancy, Hemingway, and John Wayne. Young modern readers, particularly those of a liberal bent, would likely detest this, but for someone who grew up in small town, Mid-West America in the 50's and 60's it is good stuff. And the writing is disciplined which this major in English literature appreciates.
Susie
It took me forever to read this. It was a pretty typical war novel, but with less action. It all picked up at the end, but then it ended sort of abruptly. I really liked the main character, though, so assuming he continues to be the main character in the rest of the series, I'm willing to try the next one.
Paul
I recently read my first W.E.B. Griffin novel, The Corps: Semper Fi, and loved it. This one featured the same men and women doing many of the same things only wearing different uniforms and using different names. I will give Mr. Griffin another try, though. Maybe he called this one in. Hey, I understand.
KarenC
Good, old-fashioned spy novel; fictional version of the beginning of the OSS (eventually CIA) in World War II. Female readers have to go along with the "boys will be boys" attitude of the author and his male characters. Is this Griffin's life as he wishes it had been?
Sebastian Reyes
"The Last Heroe's" by john gill makes james bond look like an inocent guardian. its about the bad paide soldiers forced to do illigal things in order to pai there depts. they are given two options jail or kill during the worst time world war two.
Bill Thomas
Too many characters for so short a book. Interesting use of facts and culure of the fall of 1941 in the U.S.

Found out that the Last Heroes is book one of the Men at War series by Griffin.
Bob Richard
Unlike other W.E.B. Griffin books that I have read this book got off to a very slow start. Other than that if you like Griffin you will like this book, but certainly not one of his best.
Jim
Interesting book with good character development. Only flaw was that it took a while for the action to begin rolling out I thought.
Just arrived from USA through BM.

Another mild book on espionage during World War II, nothing special to be mentioned.
David
A new book in the series is coming out next week, so might as well be up to speed on the whole series before I start it.
Steven Sears
it was easy to read, and I had been putting it off for ages, ultimately bored me senseless
Alisonleonard1
If you like Military books and history involved, he is the best author!
Gary Barrentine
Interesting book about the time as America was getting into WW II.
jeffrey
dull, boring, insipid dialog
  • Fortunes of War
  • Trial by Fire (Scott Dixon, #3)
  • The Enemy Within
  • Day of the Cheetah (Patrick McLanahan, #4)
  • Black Wind
  • Kilo Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #2)
W.E.B. Griffin is one of several pseudonyms for William E. Butterworth III.

From the Authors Website:

W.E.B. Griffin is the #1 best-selling author of more than fifty epic novels in seven series, all of which have made The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Publishers Weekly, and other best-seller lists. More than fifty million of the books are in print in more than ten languages, including Heb...more
More about W.E.B. Griffin...
The Hostage (Presidential Agent, #2) Semper Fi (The Corps, #1) By Order of the President (Presidential Agent, #1) The Lieutenants (Brotherhood of War, #1) Call To Arms (The Corps, #2)