Start by marking “Torchwood: Pack Animals” as Want to Read:
Torchwood: Pack Animals

Torchwood: Pack Animals (Torchwood #7)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  556 ratings  ·  50 reviews

Shopping for wedding gifts is enjoyable, unless like Gwen you witness a Weevil massacre in the shopping centre. A trip to the zoo is a great day out, until a date goes tragically wrong and Ianto is badly injured by stolen alien tech. And Halloween is a day of fun and frights, before unspeakable monsters invade the streets of Cardiff and it's no longer a trick or a treat fo

Published July 31st 2010 by BBC Digital (first published November 20th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Torchwood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Torchwood

⊱ Irena ⊰
Is it possible to write a boring Torchwood story? Is it possible to write about Jack and Ianto's date and make that boring? Is it possible to write about them without their chemistry? Is it possible to make even Jack Harkness incompetent?! Before I read this, I would say it's not possible, but I'd be wrong. Pack Animals has it all! I thought the first Peter Anghelides' Torchwood book Another Life was just an accident, but I was wrong. I just thought I wasn't in the mood for it (that annoying sec ...more
Tara Horak
Shelley
Jan 19, 2009 Shelley rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Trin, Jack/Ianto fans
Shelves: sci-fi, whoniverse
All right, let's get the shallow out of the way first: Awesome Jack/Ianto interactions. Seriously. Dates, teasing, hand holding, banter, affection, kissing, Ianto naked (okay, and *spoiler*, but Jack was still appreciative), etc. They were completely awesome and major thumbs up on that front. I also enjoyed all the Welshiness (most authors avoid it entirely, but he wasn't afraid to use very Welsh names and locations and words) and practicing my pronunciations.

The more literary review: This was a
Lizabeth Tucker
Okay, this Torchwood book is a testament to "Don't Judge a Book by It's Cover". Which, by the way, has Gwen walking on broken pavement, a tiger by her side, carrying MonstaQuest cards that seem to have Tosh on one of them.

The basic premise is simple enough. There are monsters out there that frighten the Weevils, ones that seem to travel through telephones and CCTV feeds. It is up to Torchwood to find out what is going on and stop it, but this time there is another group of alien hunters who have
Steven
There are some books you just find yourself slogging through just to say that you've properly finished them. This was one of them.

It wasn't that it was silly so much as that it tried to be dramatic at times, and merely managed melodrama. Barely.

I'm not a fan of Anghelides' characterization in general, and it seemed exceptionally clumsy here. For example: yes, it's cool seeing characters named Jack and Ianto out on a date... But they don't quite sound or act like the Jack and Ianto from Torchwo
Writerlibrarian
What do we want from tie-book? Solid characterization, that the characters sound like the original we know and love. Pack Animals does this and is entertaining too. The plot is a little foggy in places but the author doesn't shy away from what makes Torchwood fun and attractive. Namely, Jack being Jack, competent Gwen, amusing Rhys and putting forward Cardiff and making it real and interesting. A good tie in reads like an episode without the special effects that the production couldn't have affo ...more
Jim C
This is a book based on the television series and it takes place during the second season. In this novel, weevils and other alien beings are popping up everywhere and Torchwood investigates. During this investigation they find out that a popular card game has these alien beings as characters and this is highly unlikely.

My feelings for this book are split in two. The first half of the book was boring and did nothing for me. The second half I really enjoyed and that is where it reminded me of the
Claudia
I feel I am about to be excessively harsh about this book. Because it's good, it's solid, there is nothing wrong with it. But it's not as good as Skypoint and Slow Decay, the other two Torchwood novels that I've read so far. Possibly it's because they were very good indeed. This doesn't have quite the same depth of characterisation as those two (although I loved the bits with Rhys shopping for the wedding), and the plot doesn't grab me quite as much because of that.

But it's still worth reading a
Stasha
Based on the popular BBC Dr. Who spin-off, this book contains a story not contained in any episode I've seen. As with the series, much of the story is from Glen's point of view. Rhys plays a larger part than he does in the TV show.
Wayland Smith
Another in the Torchwood series. This one features monsters rampaging through Cardiff at the same time someone or something is interfering with Torchwood itself. It's a good depiction of the team as seen on the show.

There's also a lot of interaction between Jack Harkness and Ianto. If that bothers you, I can't imagine you were a fan of the show, but be warned it's there. I think it was handled well, for whatever that's worth.

I don't think it was the best Torchwood book out there, but it was an e
Megan M
Jan 26, 2012 Megan M rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Janto & Rhys fans
'Torchwood: Pack Animals' by Peter Anghelides was a real treat to read. I was surprised to find that this book was one of the better Torchwood novels.

Anghelides did a great job on the characterization with this book. All of the characters were dead-on and even allowed insight to them in a way you don't get during the series. The author let you in and see the in-depth relationships between Rhys and Gwen and Jack and Ianto. Rhys played a much larger role in this book than he did in the regular se
Sarah Gibson
This is the second Torchwood book I've read. I found myself not really enjoying the first half of the book and it took me what felt like ages trying to get through this book. Eventually though after I got past the first half of it I found myself rather enjoying it and the interactions between Jack and Ianto became one of the best bits of the story for me.
Eden Mabee
A lot of "based-on a television series" books never seem to truly capture my impressions of the characters or the worlds that I see portrayed on the screen. Sometimes I wonder if the author has even seen the show they are writing about.

This was thankfully not the case with Pack Animals. While there were rare blips of characterization issues (at least as I saw them), I mostly found myself whisked happily away into a paper and ink world that looked remarkably like Cardiff. Anghelides did a great j
Daniel Kukwa
I've always been lukewarm to Peter Anghelides's Doctor Who novels, so imagine my surprise when I found myself rather taken by one of his Torchwood novels!

This was fantastic: a disturbing new threat, an insidious take on gaming geeks and "Magic" style game cards, a solid and authentic depiction of the regular cast, Ianto's life made hell in a creative manner, and blasts of ordinary life being invaded by the cumulative, barbaric wierdness of the Torchwood universe. The only item holding this novel
Craig
As with most of the previous "Torchwood" books, this has a good feel for the television series. I found the character interactions to be it's strongest point, and the overall plot, while high with tension, came off rather ordinary. My interest was piqued by the Achenbrite company, which seems like a competitor of sorts to Torchwood. They are even, at times, one up on Torchwood, knowing more about the organization than anyone should. Though the more that was found out about the people running Ach ...more
Michelle
This was the first Torchwood book I've read that has addressed the relationships between team members in a real way that reflects what was seen on the show. It was refreshing that the author did not shy away from this, and for that reason this is probably one of the better Torchwood novels. The story was interesting, and the events throughout were pretty action packed, and quite humorous. I laughed quite a lot during several middle chapters...like all Torchwood novels it wraps up quickly, and I ...more
Haldoor42
Weevils are taking over Cardiff, or are they? Enjoyed this one too, especially when Ianto finds himself invisible.
Anjali Mohindra
Kind of cheesy and makes the show feel weird when reading especially Gwen's bit.
Eri
Given that I didn't enjoy Another life much, and reviews are not kind, I've been prejudiced against this book since the very beginning. Now I have to admit I was slightly wrong.

Halfway through the book my thoughts were about - how can someone make boring these things - Ianto's and Jack's date, Ianto's invisibility, and dinosaurs?

But during the second half of the book I had to admit, that although I didn't like the main plotline and certain nosy characters... the book was full of lines, passages,
Amber Baker
An interesting and enjoyable story.
Joseph Teller
This is another story placed between the period of the season before the "Children of Earth" mini-series of the TV canon when the whole old team is together (Owen, Tosh, Ianto, Gwen and Jack).

It's fast paced, with yet another alien gadget that has fallen into human hands who try to exploit it in ways unexpected... and which has its own agenda (for no apparent reason).

Overall a good book, and a reasonably fast read, but no earth shattering changes or insights really into the characters or settin
Jane
There's no point in denying it. This book is mostly for Torchwood fans and those unfamiliar with the series will not enjoying it as much as I did. There are character developments that make sense only if you've seen season two of Torchwood, because the author doesn't bother in explaining the inner workings of why characters can do what they do. It's just a fact.

Other than that, I have to admit that it was a pleasant read. A short and fun story, not much different from a good fanfic.
Julia
I read this because I had just watched all of “Children of Earth,” the abbreviated third season of “Torchwood,” when all the characters, or so it seems, die. So I wanted to read about them alive and functioning and solving alien mysteries. In this book, someone has created a deck of playing cards with all of the aliens we know from Torchwood, plus some others. And playing the game, or taking pictures of aliens brings them to life, switches their location. This was fun!
Jolie Bonnette
Another fun Torchwood adventure. The characters were portrayed fairly true to the show and there were some fun bits of banter. It reads like a Torchwood episode, which is a good thing. I won't spoil the most entertaining part of this, but if you are a Ianto lover, you will be cackling. ;-)
Lisa
Once again, this book was well written with a nice sense of characterization and an intriguing story. The banter and relationship between Jack and Ianto is nicely and subtlely covered here, showing them as an established couple who are comfortable with each other.

As for Ianto himself....what happens to him in this story? ( I won't spoil you...) only adds to the enjoyment and had me literally laughing out loud in some parts.

Well worth a read!!
Sean Kennedy
Nicholas Whyte

A Torchwood novel set towards the end of Season 2, with Owen already dead but still walking and alien creatures intruding on Earth via sets of game cards (so the 'pack' of the title has a dual meaning). Another good effort from Anghelides, reinforcing my view that the Torchwood novels are an insufficiently recognised literary achievement of the Whoniverse.
Gabriel Mero
The Torchwood team must dispatch of monsters that can appear and disappear into thin air before they kill everyone in Cardiff. All in all this was a fast paced, intriguing read. At one point, Jack walks in on Tosh recording her final message from the episode "Exit Wounds"...which was a great plot twist. Tosh appears more in this novel than she did the the last couple of books. Great read!
Karmen
It was okay ... the idea of an alien gun used by an emotionally disturbed boy, Gareth, to bring aliens over and begin terra-forming Cardiff for their existence.

It is then discovered that a company, run by Gareth's mom, is trying to clean up after Gareth's rampages and doing research.

Jack dies twice and Gwen soon finds she's put off shopping a little bit now.
Xan
Definitely the most literary of the Torchwood lot I've read to date, but somehow that seemed to equal less humor and the easy banter I've come to appreciate between the team. My biggest complaint about this installment though... we have a naked, invisible Ianto, and all Jack gets is a kiss. Seriously? Come on, give us fan girls what we want, lol!
  • Skypoint (Torchwood, #8)
  • Something in the Water (Torchwood, #4)
  • Into The Silence (Torchwood, #10)
  • The Twilight Streets (Torchwood, #6)
  • Almost Perfect (Torchwood, #9)
  • The House That Jack Built (Torchwood, #12)
  • Trace Memory (Torchwood, #5)
  • Bay of the Dead (Torchwood, #11)
  • Consequences (Torchwood, #15)
  • Slow Decay (Torchwood, #3)
  • Border Princes (Torchwood, #2)
  • Torchwood: The Sin Eaters
  • Torchwood: In the Shadows
  • Torchwood: Hidden
  • Doctor Who: The Stealers of Dreams
  • Exodus Code (Torchwood, #19)
Anghelides' first published work was the short story "Moving On" in the third volume of the Virgin Decalog collections, which led to further short stories in the fourth collection and then in two of the BBC Short Trips collections that followed. In January 1998, his first novel Kursaal was published as part of BBC Books' Eighth Doctor Adventures series on books. Anghelides subsequently wrote two m ...more
More about Peter Anghelides...

Torchwood (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Another Life (Torchwood, #1)
  • Border Princes (Torchwood, #2)
  • Slow Decay (Torchwood, #3)
  • Something in the Water (Torchwood, #4)
  • Trace Memory (Torchwood, #5)
  • The Twilight Streets (Torchwood, #6)
  • Skypoint (Torchwood, #8)
  • Almost Perfect (Torchwood, #9)
  • Into The Silence (Torchwood, #10)
  • Bay of the Dead (Torchwood, #11)
Another Life (Torchwood, #1) Doctor Who: Pest Control Doctor Who: The Ancestor Cell Doctor Who: Kursaal Doctor Who: Frontier Worlds