Start by marking “Walking the Boundaries” as Want to Read:
Walking the Boundaries

Walking the Boundaries

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  129 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Martin lives in the city with his mum. He′s come to walk the boundaries of the farm that′s been in his family for generations. It sounds easy, especially as he′ll own the land when he gets back. Martin′s great-grandfather, Ted, doesn′t even want him to walk around the farm′s fences, just up the gorge and along the hills.

But up in the gorge Martin meets Meg from almost a ce
Published (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Walking the Boundaries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Walking the Boundaries

Russamun82
A Wonderful blend of humanity and innocence. French takes land ownership, a hotly contested issue between settlers and native people and puts a face on each successive caretaker of the land and even back beyond land. I bought it in Australia nad I really learned much about many of the issues in Australia today, and in the past. I would love as a teacher to teach not only humanity with this book, but also about the responsibility we as a civilization have to the planet. A wonderful read all aroun ...more
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Pretty sure it has the line about pizza and 'how do you hunt it' and 'it would take too long to explain' twice in the novel. One instance is on page 142 in my version, and one is a lot earlier - caught my attention especially as I don't think it would take too long to explain at all :\ Meg knows what bread is, and meat... and you just go on from there.
Kerry
A nice children's book, bringing together (magically) characters from modern day, settlement, and pre-settlement times in Australia, all walking the same land together. Sometimes seemed a little heavy handed on introducing cultural elements, but still was a nice sense of indigenousness dreamtime and their relationship to the land and to their ancestors (both human and otherwise). It had a nice story as well. I plan on giving it as a gift to nieces/nephews in the US.
Hannah
Walking the Boundaries is a different and complicated book. I didn't really enjoy as much as I would have liked to. It was only until the end that I fully understood what was going on in the book. Otherwise the book isn't one of my favourites but I love how it is set in Australia and shows how different Australia is and how beautiful it really is.
Carly Tebbutt
I remember having this book read to me in primary school - and at the time it captivated me.

It's definitely been a while since then, but sometimes I still think about the main characters and the mysterious circumstances of their story.

This would be great to read to your children in a classroom or before bedtime.
Therese
A story of the connection between people and the land told via a seemingly innocent walk around the boundaries of a farmstead. It also tells of shared humanity that transcends time and culture.

It is not one of her best works but there are lessons to be learnt and a great "time travel" story for the kids.
Andrew
An intriguing story about children learning about who they are, what they believe and developing a bond with the land. The same area of land is viewed from the perspectives of a modern boy, and girl in the 1920s and an aboriginal boy from pre colonisation times.
Asha
Liked this book a lot once it got going. Loved the way that jackie brings together the three characters from modern day, settlement, and pre settlement. It makes this book distinctive and interesting.
Meredith Walker
This is a nice enough story with valuable themes to do with stewardship told through the lens of reflection on the indigenous sense of dreamtime and connection to the land.
Zena
A beautiful piece of adolescent fiction which moves effortlessly through time and culture in order to discover meaning.
Di
quite a complicated background for a childrens book. questions how we should look at life and treat our planet
Emily
It was alright but would only recommend it to 12 years as it is a kids book and a very easy read
Taiah02
Great book and it give you so much more ability to read and tells you much about culture
Rose
Walking the Boundaries (Bluegum) by Jackie French (1993)
Karib
560 lexile, available for checkout from our MS book room!
Aroha Schuurmans
Aroha Schuurmans marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Zara
Zara marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Kayla
Kayla added it
Sep 16, 2014
India Burns
India Burns marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Miss D
Miss D marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Illumination (Curse of The Bond Riders, #3)
  • Moth To The Flame
  • Survivor (Alone, #2)
  • The Children of the King
  • The Irish Fairy Book
  • My Place
  • The Naming of Tishkin Silk
  • Credo
  • The Circle and the Cross (The Wanderers, #1)
  • A Medal for Leroy
  • White Crane (Samurai Kids, #1)
  • Poor Fellow My Country
  • The Magic Of Findhorn
  • The 40 Most Influential Christians . . . Who Shaped What We Believe Today
  • The Mayan Calendar and the Transformation of Consciousness
  • Drylands
  • Gloriana's Torch (David Becket and Simon Ames, #3)
  • La sorcière de la rue Mouffetard, et autres contes de la rue Broca
Jackie is an award-winning writer, wombat negotiator and the Australian Children’s Laureate for 2014-2015. She is regarded as one of Australia’s most popular children’s authors, and writes across all genres - from picture books, history, fantasy, ecology and sci-fi to her much loved historical fiction. In her capacity as Australian Children’s Laureate, ‘Share a Story’ will be the primary philosoph ...more
More about Jackie French...
Diary of a Wombat Hitler's Daughter A Rose for the ANZAC Boys A Waltz for Matilda They Came on Viking Ships