Start by marking “A Mão do Pecado (Deer Lake, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Mão do Pecado (Deer Lake, #2)

A Mão do Pecado (Deer Lake #2)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  10,506 ratings  ·  196 reviews
Night Sins, Hoag's impressive hardcover debut, revealed her to be a masterful spinner of spine-chilling thrills. Her new novel continues that bestselling momentum, bringing terror to a whole new level.

A cold-blooded kidnapper has been playing a twisted game with a terrfied Minnesota town. Now a respected member of the community stands accused of a chilling act of evil. But...more
Published March 2004 by Temas e Debates (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about A Mão do Pecado, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Mão do Pecado

Jonetta
This is the follow up to the first book in the series, Night Sins. I’ll start off by saying I’m not a fan of having to read two books to figure out the resolution to a mystery. However, I liked the book even though it had some issues.

The story continues with the State’s Assistant City Attorney Ellen North at the forefront. She’s been handed the case involving Garrett Wright who Mitch Holt arrested for the assault of Megan O’Malley and the abduction of Josh Kirkwood. What seems to be an open and...more
Bruno

Este livro é a continuação do anterior “Pecados na noite” cujo final tinha ficado aberto. Estava desejoso por reencontrar a Megan e o Mitch, e infelizmente eles passaram para o segundo plano, aparecendo com raridade ao longo do livro. O protagonismo passou para a advogada Ellen North e o escritor de livros baseados em crimes verdadeiros Jay Butler Brooks. As vitimas do crime são as mesmas que as anteriores.

«O rapto do pequeno Josh Kirkwood abalou profundamente a pequena comunidade de Deer Lake....more
Msmickey1995
I've been reading the reviews and to be honest, I don't agree with most of them....

I found this book to be engaging, thought provoking (in as far as who was doing what to/with whom), and suprisingly interesting....Knowing people in the legal field, the way the trail was prepared for in the book is spot on....You don't always know what your other council is receiving in the way of evidence, depending on when it's found....

The character, Ellen North, was written well....I enjoyed the way the autho...more
Arwen56
Ripensare a questo "giallo" mi dà un leggero senso di nausea. In verità non credo neppure possa essere definito un "giallo". Diciamo che la trama poliziesca viene usata per far sì che:

1) Ellen North e Jay Butler Brooks si scambino, in prima battuta, dei "baci profondi" (parole testuali) e poi “scopino come ricci", con conseguente dettagliata descrizione: "Ellen non indossava il reggiseno. I suoi seni erano scoperti, avevano il colore della crema, il tocco della seta e si adattavano perfettamente...more
Allison Ann
Why can't I choose negative stars as a rating?

I haven't read much or any Tami Hoag before this book but I had such a visceral reaction to this book that I was hard pressed not to throw it across the room. I had to quit about 1/3 of the way through and take a break because the rage blackouts were becoming much too frequent. I've been reading Harlequin Romances since yesterday because EVEN THAT WAS BETTER THAN READING THE ALLEGED ROMANCE IN THIS NOVEL. I want to finish it, I'm interested by the my...more
Annabelle
I liked this book pretty well. The main plot is that there is a young boy, Josh, who has been taken, and prosecutor Ellen North in this suburban town thinks she knows the culprit, Professor Garrett Wright, a psychology professor. But the town think he is being persecuted. A real crime writer, Jay, comes to town to cover the story, but it turns out he has psychoanalytic motives. He just found out he had son the same age. I liked it, I kept reading even if it is long. And Ellen is a bit of bitch,...more
Chana
I'd like to say 3 1/2 stars, not quite a 4 but more deserving than a 3.

And yet another romantic thriller, third romance in a row for me. The first was an historical fiction romance and written "clean" but these last 2 (a Sandra Brown and now a Tami Hoag) are more sexually explicit, although formulaic, and they use a lot of the same phraseology. I started wondering if maybe these authors went to the same school of romance writing.
I really shouldn't read 2 or more romances in a row or my eyeballs...more
Max Anadon
So this is the sequel to Night Sins, and written in the same style. A continuation from the capture of Garrett Wright at the end of NS.

Assistant DA Ellen North taking over the lead female protagonist for Megan O'Malley. It's a case that looks like a slam dunk at first, but has just enough holes and complications, including frustrating facets of the judicial process (although maybe an attorney would know differently).

Ellen has moved away from the big city by choice, but has a history with a lawy...more
Janet Horner
I enjoyed this book. Even after reading some of the less-than-glowing reviews about it. I didn't read Ms. Hoag's previous work.

The action takes place in a short amount of time and there are a lot of characters in the story. The author also asks the reader to keep up by (in my opinion) purposefully starting chapters with non-specific references, i.e. he or she. That style of writing keeps the reader on his/her toes. You must stay engaged to keep track of which character is the current POV. I lik...more
Lisa
There's not a whole lot to say about this book without giving away important spoilers. Let me just say that crime drama is not usually my cup of tea. I don't care much for reading about humans doing unspeakable evil things. We get enough of that on the News. I prefer supernatural type of mysteries and drama because it's pure fantasy. With that being said, I didn't totally hate this book. It was well written and the prose was easy enough to follow. The lead female protagonist, Ellen North, is not...more
Elizabeth
Having read, and loved, two of Tami Hoag's other books (Kill the Messenger and Dust to Dust), I had high hopes for this one, and it didn't disappoint. It did, however, read like an earlier effort -- perhaps slightly less polished than the other two. But that's a minor nitpick. The story held my interest. I genuinely liked Ellen (even though her constant leap to think the worst of people, especially Brooks, grated on my nerves a little). I also liked some of the secondary characters, and got tear...more
stephanie
so i decided to give tami hoag another chance, because i couldn't remember why i didn't read all her stuff in the first place.

this book reminded me.

this book rang in as a wannabe-grisham-type procedural, instead of a tightly paced thriller, which is what i was expecting. i didn't really care about any of the characters - ellen, jay, tony, the judge, josh, etc. etc. i didn't care about hannah, i didn't care about paul, i didn't care about father tom.

the only thing that kept me going was the fa...more
Caroline
The second book in the Deer Lake story & it continues on from Night Sins. I have to say that I still prefer Night Sins. The first book feels more intense and action-packed. This book is by its nature a little more sedentary as it's focuses more on the trial and the hard-work that the characters have to put in to pull together a case against the guilty party. There are certainly lots of twists & turns. And it's great fun to see how the case develops (or doesn't).

There are downsides. I th...more
Bob
A young boy is kidnapped while waiting to be picked up from a hockey practice, A Minnesota BCA agent is kidnapped and severely beaten and Assistant County Attorney Ellen North is assigned as prosecutor for the arrested perpetrator a well liked professor at the local college. Evidence is there but not quite enough for a sure indictment, but Ellen is going ahead in hopes more information comes to light. She has to put up with the politics of her bosses who have their eyes on advancement, The games...more
Trish
2 stars/Fiction; Suspense
*did not finish*

This was my first Tami Hoag book and with the high rating, I really wanted to like it but I just could not finish it.

Not finishing it had less to do with the actual story line and more to do with the fact that even at half way through, Hoag was still introducing new characters. One chapter she calls them Mr. So and so. The next she calls them by their title or by their first name. I was so confused by who was who that I had to keep going back and trying...more
Terry Cohoe
Dec 28, 2011 Terry Cohoe rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Terry by: grabbed randomly off library shelf
I really enjoyed this book, a thriller/romance that was complex, believable, and well-written. There were a lot of characters with distinct personalities, memorable personalities which made it easy to keep track of who everyone is and what role they were playing. The protagonist is a female lawyer who is believable, feels like a real person, behaves in a credible manner. The tension is constant, the action is realistic and exciting. It is a little dark in its subject matter, but not overly so. M...more
Rachelle
This book held my interest as far as the writing goes, but I didn't like the main character Ellen. I found her to be annoying and I thought it was pretty predictable the way she treated Jay. Why do so many books include romances that have women talking to men they are trying not to be attracted to that way? It's so juvenile and immature. People don't really act like that. And the part where she ground the heel of her high heel shoe on Costello's foot in the courtroom. Yeah, right. Didn't like th...more
Bettycindy
I discovered when I got into this book that I had read it before but couldn't remember the end so I read it again. It's a good quick read. Would have been better without the sex. Nothing against sex, it just didn't add to the story.
Brandi
Hooked

Amazing thriller with a very unexpected twist. The revelations made were almost beyond belief and left my jaw wide open. Definitely one of the better mysteries I've read in a long while.
MwN2

Disappointment. I expected a lot of answers from this book. But I got very few. The book was not engrossing, the only reason I finished it fast, was because I skipped a lot of pages.
Just like NIGHT SINS, this book wastes a lot of pages on relationships between the protagonists. I like a crime novel which throws up a fair amount of of clues, but this book is very much lacking in that respect.
Another favorite feature of mine, is the investigation part, the legwork, the truth digging drives. Here,...more
Elizabeth
Could not put this book down, read it in 2 days. This is the follow up to Night Sins. The book follows the kidnapping of 2 8 y.o. boys in a rural Minnesota county. Lots of twists and suspense.
Steve
An interesting story about a kidnapping in Minnesota. Real twists to the story as a well loved professor becomes the prime suspect. Not as easy to get into as other Hoag novels.
Mel Brutger
Really good, solid fiction. Haven't read a classic whodunit in a long time and I did enjoy it. Liked that it was set in MN. some freakish twists. Wish I would've read Deer Lake #1 first. Guess I'll do them out of order.
Sheila
For some reason I found this one really slow going and at some times a total snore. I like the author and the series but this one just didn't do it for me.
Debb
The first half of the book seemed to drag on with no real reason. Usual law and court drama. How could the person they had in custody possibly do any of the things they said he had done. Then the usual beautiful Attorney, the suave Defending Attorney, the usual politics and the rough around the edges True Crime writer who desperately wanted the beautiful Attorney blah blah blah. I admit I did nearly give up on the book.

The last third made up for the first two thirds. Turned into a real page turn...more
Brenda Roberson
Good follow up to "Night Sins". Totally captivating and puts to rest the story that will keep you enthralled from the very first book.
Maralin Hafer
I love this author! After reading night sins and guilty as sin, I will continue reading Tami's books and call her my fav!
Helen
I’ll have to admit that I had to make myself keep reading Guilty as Sin. It was a hard trudge to get through it. Too many characters who became indistinguishable. Points of View that switched willy-nilly without warning. A romance that was obvious from the beginning – she immediately disliked him so of course they would end up together – and this took away from the suspense since you knew neither would die. (Of course, that could be said for most romances.)

The mystery of who-dun-it was good thou...more
Tim
Seldom do I zip thru a book in two days, but my Sister put the pressure on. As the first, couldn't put it down!
Sandra Knapp
As this story begins where "Night Sins" ended, it was really good to have everything eventually settled and explained. As with the "Night Sins," I found this one almost impossible to put down. Every turned page had me longing to find out what happened next. Who could ask for more of any novel? It certainly brought out some of my worst thought and emotions. Anger and frustration when it appeared as though the legal system was failing everyone yet again. Thank goodness there are those out there, i...more
  • And Then You Die
  • The Alibi
  • Almost Dead (San Francisco, #2)
  • The Third Victim (Quincy & Rainie, #2)
  • Whisper of Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #5)
  • See Jane Die (Stacy Killian #1)
  • Beyond Reach (Grant County, #6)
  • Dead Certain (Dead #2)
#1 New York Times bestselling author Tami Hoag began her professional career writing for Bantam’s Loveswept line of romance novels. In 1988 her first novel, The Trouble With J.J. was published.

With fifteen consecutive New York Times bestsellers to her credit, Hoag has more than 35 million books in print, published in more than twenty languages worldwide. Her first thriller, Night Sins, was made i...more
More about Tami Hoag...
Ashes to Ashes (Kovac/Liska, #1) Secrets to the Grave (Oak Knoll, #2) Deeper Than the Dead (Oak Knoll, #1) Prior Bad Acts (Kovac/Liska, #3) Down the Darkest Road (Oak Knoll, #3)