Devils in the Sugar Shop

Devils in the Sugar Shop

3.13 of 5 stars 3.13  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  15 reviews
A failed erotic novelist; a hostess of prim sex-toy parties; an artist and a bookshop owner pursued by a demented if harmless stalker; wives, lovers, twin sisters, daughters—all members of the artsy crowd in Omaha, try to hold their families, friendships and personal lives together as they face damaged and broken marriages, and mid-life crises during one whirlwind day that...more
Published May 1st 2007 by Unbridled Books

Monte
The Old Market section of Omaha serves as the bohemian center of Schaffert's diverting third novel. Ashley Allyson teaches erotic writing workshops, but doesn't realize that her husband, Troy (who edits an alternative weekly, The Omaha Street), is cheating on her with her student, Peach. Peach is one the two 20-something identical twins who run the local bookstore, Mermaids Singing; the other, Plum, has a yen for Tucker, a tallish tattooed dwarf photographer who photographs his impressive genita...more
Meredith Enos
i may stop reading books set in the midwest. in winter. this one's omaha, nebraska, in i think either november or february. this book has a great set up with characters, plot points, and witticisms that make you think this could be a funny book, or even at least a fun book. it's really well written, and every indication is given that something is going to happen. but there's no payoff--i mean, things happen and it could have been wild, funny, poignant, and illuminating all at once. but instead i...more
Cielo
The book was very funny... but it was a flat, shallow story filled with vulgarity and characters that didn't develop in any way.
Mary Kay
This is a quirky little book set in Omaha, of all places. It involves a woman who teaches an erotic writing for women class, her friend who has made a fortune selling sex toys at home parties, another friend who teaches art, two sisters named Peach & Plum who own a bookshop, & their husbands & children, all of whom are decidedly NOT like anyone I know.
Briel
Let's see. Three stars is that I liked it and 4 stars is that I really liked it. I'm not sure! I read it very quickly and it kept my interest, which I think is actually a good thing. It was entertaining and strange and I think that it will be a good book to create spicy dialog at our next book club meeting!
Sandee
Jul 31, 2009 Sandee added it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I got this because it was set in Omaha. Supposed chick lit for the over 30 crowd it fell short of being interesting. The most interesting part was the description of the cover art which is a movie poster from 1960's(?) Poland where it's an art form.
Christine
Jul 19, 2008 Christine rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: the authors mother, maybe.
This book absolutely sucked. I have no idea why I stuck with it. It took awhile for the characters to develop; I figured it might be worth it. Nope. It all got wrapped up in the end with no fanfare and no real good reason. Horrible. Don't read it.
Nancy H
This chick-lit book is an interesting look at a group of ladies, all of whom have issues, and who interact with each other, not always in good ways, regarding their lives, their sexualities, their sexual partners, and more.
Deb
Book club pick - another Omaha writer. It surprised us that a guy could write about women like that. Enjoyed the landmarks in Omaha, fiction or not. Also met the author at a book signing. Nice young man.
Ashely
I Liked it! Overall it was entertaining. Very modern book. What I liked most about the read was that the story occured over a few days. The characters were very identifiable.
Jon
THis book was whole heartedly reccomended to me, and I love erotica, but i must say, I really do not see the appeal.
Jennie
Do yourself and favor and read ANYTHING by Timothy. Funny, prescient, smart.
Dee
Jul 23, 2012 Dee rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: I passsed it on to my book group.
Recommended to Dee by: I don't remember
I'm not sure where I saw the title, but it sounded interesting.
Belinda
This "book" was so stupid.
Lizzie
Lizzie marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Linett
Linett added it
Jul 04, 2014
S
S marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Gretchen
Gretchen marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Tiffaney Card kuper
Tiffaney Card kuper marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Danielle A
Danielle A marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Meredith
Meredith marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Denise Mainquist
Denise Mainquist marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Author of five novels: The Swan Gondola, The Coffins of Little Hope, Devils in the Sugar Shop, The Singing and Dancing Daughters of God, and The Phantom Limbs of the Rollow Sisters. Director of the (downtown) omaha lit fest. Contributing editor, Fairy Tale Review. Assistant Professor in the University of Nebraska-Lincoln creative writing program.

"The Singing and Dancing Daughters of God" is part o...more
More about Timothy Schaffert...
The Coffins of Little Hope The Swan Gondola The Phantom Limbs of the Rollow Sisters The Singing and Dancing Daughters of God Lady of the Burlesque Ballet