Start by marking “Between The Strokes Of Night” as Want to Read:
Between The Strokes Of Night

Between The Strokes Of Night

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  215 ratings  ·  20 reviews
In the 277th century, Earth is dead, but mankind survives in colonies scattered across the galaxy. To these new worlds come the Immortals, beings with strange ties to ancient Earth who seem to live forever, who can travel light years in days -- and who use their strange powers to control the existence of ordinary mortals. On the planet Pentecost, a small group sets out to ...more
Published by Baen (first published March 1985)

Old Man's War by John ScalziStarship Troopers by Robert A. HeinleinPandora's Star by Peter F. HamiltonRevelation Space by Alastair ReynoldsOn Basilisk Station by David Weber
Excellent Space Opera
192nd out of 281 books — 1,482 voters
The Forever War by Joe HaldemanWhen Earthlings Weep by Michael  BarnettRendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. ClarkeNeuromancer by William GibsonChildhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke
Reddit Underrated Sci Fi List
81st out of 83 books — 71 voters

More lists with this book...

Richard
Sep 21, 2011 Richard rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: HardSF buffs content with fairly weak sociology.
Recommended to Richard by: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show_book/954.Hard_SF?group_book_id=447917
Between the Strokes of Night deals with the long-term experiences of humanity as a space-faring race. Its central contribution — not a spoiler, since the opens with this exploration — is an intriguing twist on time and space travel, specifically that by adapting the human body to different temperatures, subjective experience can be changed to stretch a human lifespan over many centuries or millennia.

As far as traditional “hard” science fiction goes, Charles Sheffield does a pretty good job of n
Mike
Between The Strokes Of Night is worth the read simply for the scientifically sound means he develops for interstellar travel, very unique yet satisfying and comprehensive. I nearly put this book down in disgust over the silly beginning. Both the dialogue and the scenario were, to me, eye-rolling bad. (However, a global warming acolyte might say just the opposite.) Due to human impact, the world climate changes so much by 2010, causing biblical catastrophes that then result in an earth-destroying ...more
Tomislav
Charles Sheffield is a new writer to me, in terms of novels. Judging by his award nominations, I think he is known primarily for hard sf short stories and science articles in Analog and similar publications.

There are two editions of the novel available. As originally published in 1987, the ending of the book was consistent with the big bang-big crunch model of the universe. After this was shown to be incorrect in the 1990s, Sheffield revised the novel, completely replacing the ending, and increa
Matthew
Yet another sci-fi book where the author doesn't know how to write characters or individuals, only people.
The book takes an interesting concept where humanity moves at a slower relative rate in order to extend their lifespan. Although I'm pretty sure this isnt a new concept and I've read the idea before.

The problem is, no one acts like an individual. People (specific) would not stay at the same job performing the same task for tens of thousands of years. People (in general) might, but when you'r
Matias
Este libro lo compre un sabado que ibamos a ir a la feria del libro, pero oh coincidencia, justo "tocaba" Violetta ahi atras del zoo, por lo que estaba lleno de gente. Literalmente 20 cuadras de cola para entrar a la feria del libro. 20 fucking cuadras. De ninguna manera. Agarre mi plata y me fui a comprar libros al "mini shopping de lectores" que hay enfrente. Ahi fue donde compre este libro y como 15 mas. Si tengo un leve problema con la compra de libros.
En fin.
El libro esta muy bueno. Es cien
Michael K.
I’ve always heard good things about Sheffield’s hard-science novels, and I’ve tried several of them, . . . but, somehow, I just can’t get interested in them. The author’s style simply leaves me cold. This one appears to be about finding a way to expand into the far corners of our galaxy without violating the limitation imposed by the speed of light. But I’m not sure about that, really, because I only got about 40% of the way in and then gave up because so little was happening. I was also put off ...more
Dmadden
Typical sort of bloodless super-sciency stuff from Sheffield. I kind of like him, but in the end it all seems kind of like it's made of plastic. Don't make me define that any better, ok?
Icarus
By far the most brilliant work of a pretty darn good writer. This is mind-widening science fiction.
Gendou
The primary science fiction idea in this book, that subjective time can be artificially slowed, is brilliant. The technology is introduced in a clever way, and remains important throughout the plot. It keeps the reader thinking.

I give Sheffield major props for sticking, as best he could, to hard science fiction in this story! I'd like to personally thank him for it. But there were, of course a few physics mistakes in the book.

1. The characters living in S-space (their lives slowed down by a fact
Angela
Nov 05, 2011 Angela added it
David
The thread running through the entire book is the idea of slowing body processes so the individual's life will last until a later year. (The person lives in very "slow motion" - it's not necessarily that they live for a greater number of heartbeats or personal experiences.) That by itself isn't a high reading priority for me. We do get some glimpses of very advanced or far future visions. I wasn't entirely satisfied with them being just glimpses. The background story for the characters and slow ...more
Fredrick Danysh
The Earth has become overcrowded and can no longer support its population. Mankind must look to the stars but some kind of suspended animation is required. As a research institute dedicated to such study moves to a space station, nuclear war breaks out on Earth. Now success is imperative.
Robert Ruppert
Good hard science fiction, actually sped up my reading as time went on because it was getting better and better. Liked the speculative science, the adventure and the outcome. Glad this was recommended to me by GOODREADS.COM.
Josephine Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
Fantastic! This is the Science Fiction I am most enthusiastic about. The story is terribly interesting, even as a hypothetical science, and a sad begining, 2010 is the 'end' of earth, this is maybe a tiny bit like Hunger Games when part two starts--it may seem so--but it quickly develops with interesting action and good story-telling. You will be close with the characters right until the end.
Clint
As the first 'hard' sci-fi book I ever read, Between The Strokes of Night holds a special place in my heart. I view the book as containing the essence of sci-fi: it takes a major scientific advancement that we don't have today and theorizes the wide-reaching effects it would have on society as a whole. Quite a good read.
David C. Mueller
Interesting look at living at vastly different metabolic speeds and how this affects a human star-faring culture. Keep my interest enough for me to plan to read more work by the author.
Alfred
Interesting mechanic to enable star travel without breaking known physics or inventing a new trick...
Jim
I enjoyed this book. It kept my interest.
Brett
Science Fiction
John
John added it
Dec 20, 2014
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Hard SF: * BotM: "Between the Strokes of Night" by Charles Sheffield 3 24 Sep 22, 2011 04:58AM
  • Luminous
  • Starworld (To the Stars, #3)
  • The Patchwork Girl (Known Space)
  • Transition
  • Manhattan Transfer
  • Cosm
  • Downtiming the Night Side
  • The Lifeship
  • Voyagers (Voyagers, #1)
  • The Hemingway Hoax
  • Santiago: A Myth of the Far Future (Santiago #1)
  • Brightness Falls from the Air
Charles A. Sheffield (June 25, 1935 – November 2, 2002), was an English-born mathematician, physicist and science fiction author. He had been a President of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America and of the American Astronomical Society.

His novel The Web Between the Worlds, featuring the construction of a space elevator, was published almost simultaneously with Arthur C. Clarke's novel
More about Charles Sheffield...
Aftermath (Supernova Alpha, #1) Summertide (Heritage Universe, #1) Cold as Ice  (Cold as Ice #1) Tomorrow and Tomorrow Divergence (Heritage Universe 2)