Start by marking “Alone Yet Not Alone” as Want to Read:

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  611 ratings  ·  124 reviews
Published August 28th 2003 by His Seasons

To ask other readers questions about Alone Yet Not Alone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alone Yet Not Alone

Abigail Larsen
Beth His handmaiden
This is the true story of Barbara and Regina Leininger.
Captured by Indians and separated by everyone they know, including each other. They refuse to loose hope of seeing their family reunited again. They cling to their faith in God, knowing that they are truly never alone.
This story is fascinating especially because it is based off of a true story that actually occurred in the author's family history however I thought that the simple writing style did the story no justice.
I do think it would be
Star Shining Forever
Sep 03, 2013 Star Shining Forever rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians, children, history fans, people who like frontier/Western tales, historical fiction fans
Wonderful book! I really enjoy tales of the frontier and pioneers making their way in the wild. After an Indian attack, two young girls are stolen away from their home by their family's murderers. Taken captive and forced to endure even more brutality, they cling to their faith and to the hope of escape. Blessed with protection in the Indian camp, they nonetheless watch and prepare for a harrowing journey back to civilization. God's miracles and protection are evident throughout their adventures ...more
1755. A peaceful settlement. Marauding Indian warriors. Abduction. Devastation… And the providence of God.

The Story.

Barbara and Regina live with the rest of their family nestled deep in the mountains of Pennsylvania. There they tend their farm and toil together to create a new home for themselves in the wilderness. They thank God for the blessings of hearth and harvest, family and the freedom to worship God according to their conscience.

They know that Indians sometimes roam the surrounding woods
Lisa Godfrees
Is anyone else as fascinated with Indian lore as I am? This based-on-a-true-story book takes place during the Penn’s Creek Massacre of 1755 during the French and Indian war. Alone Yet Not Alone is the survival story of three girls who are captured by Indians and their quest to return to their families. It is also the story of the author’s, Tracy Leininger Craven’s, family.

Theology: God is always with you

The theme of Alone Yet Not Alone is based on Deuteronomy 8:2 “Remember how the Lord your God
Dana
We are currently studying the French & Indian War and I came across this book. The author, a young lady who was homeschooled, had heard about her ancestor who had been kidnapped by Indians during the war. Both her and her sister survived years of captivity and the author decided to retell their story. (One of the two had written her own account of this time.)

Early in the book some Indians attack the Leninger homestead and take Barbara, age 12, and Regina, age 9, captive. Despite the girls'
Jodi
I liked that this book was written by a distant relative. The story is such a inspirational retelling of Barbara and Regina life experience of being captured by Indians in 1755. They learned that God will provide even in the most trying circumstances.
Brandi (Rambles of a SAHM)
Alone Yet Not Alone is a compelling story of faith and endurance. The story of Barbara and Regina Leininger and the other young captives is terrifying and at the same time inspiring. It is hard to imagine ones so young experiencing what they did and not only surviving it but thriving in the aftermath.

The fact that this story is based on a true-life account makes this book all the more appealing to me. I think it would be a great read for tweens and older. It does have depictions of murder and ev
Jalynn Patterson
About the Book:
The Leininger family settled deep within America's new frontier in the Blue Mountains of Pennsylvania. A sudden Indian raid changed their lives forever. This story retells the heroic and daring escape of Barbara Leininger, and the touching reunion with her sister, Regina, after nine years. It also gives us an endearing portrayal of the love between family members and the strength of childhood memories. Father and Mother Leininger's commitment to 'hide' God's Word in the hearts of
Diana Montgomery
By: Tracy Leininger Craven
Their faith became their freedom

Alone Yet Not Alone is an inspirational, true story of a family caught in the cross fire of the French and Indian War.
The Leininger family leaves Germany to settle in America the land of the free. They left because in America they would be slave to no man and free to live as God sees best. So they thought. There were Indian’s but they was not to fear them cause they were not at war with them. Then while sitting at meal
Waven
This is a short and very easy read. Unfortunately, those may be the kindest things I can say for it. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't very good. The family introduced in the opening chapters is as flat and plastic-perfect as a department store window display. The characters are similarly rendered, like mannequins posed and positioned for each scene with sadly artificial dialogue. Once the action begins, the story and telling both improve but not greatly. As another reviewer noted, the passage of ti ...more
Kathleen
First of all this book is a short, easy read. I believe it was written for the Young Adult group, which I didn't realize when I started it.

What I did like about this book was it had nothing in it that would be objectionable for your "tween" to read. It had a positive, optimistic outlook on the hardships of life.

What I didn't like about it was that the positive, optimism wasn't balanced with any internal struggles that we humans have when we go through difficulties.

Since this happens in the first
Brenda
Alone Yet Not Alone by Tracy Leininger that sweeps readers back to the autumn of 1755 where we meet the Leininger family, German Immigrants who have come to America looking for a new life. They settle in the Blue Mountains of PA that overlook Penn's Creek. The family of six consists of Ma and Pa along with Christian,John, Barbara, and Regina. Their faith in God is strong, and they are very thankful for all their good fortune, which includes living peacefully among the Indians.With the French-Ind ...more
Becky
This is the true story of the Leininger Family, devout Christians, who had immigrated to America from Germany. The Leiningers purchased land from the Indians, built a cabin and began farming. The family often talked of the hardships faced in Germany before coming to this new land. They gave God the credit for getting them through the difficulties they faced. Their father told the children everyone has trials in their lives, but the thing that would help them, and could never be taken from them, ...more
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
What does it really mean to have faith even when you fear God has turned His back on you? Is it possible to hold onto the thing you were taught as a child in order to endure a future you never thought possible? Such are the questions author Tracy Leininger Craven hopes to stir in the reader's soul in her novel Alone, Yet Not Alone based on the true story accounts from Tracy's family.

Just as the Leininger family had begun a new start in life in Pennsylvania during 1755 after leaving behind the p
Lindsey Silvestrini
Talk about a page turner! What is it about knowing that a book is based on a true story that makes you get so much more invested in it? Alone Yet Not Alone is based on a real story and written by one of the descendants of the family. There is also a movie coming out June 13th and I always like to read the book before I see the movie. Now that I’ve read this, I can’t wait to see the film adaptation of the story.

This book is actually classified as juvenile fiction and the author originally wrote
Emma Lambert
Alone Yet Not Alone, by Tracy Michele Leininger.

Alone Yet Not Alone is a book vary much worth reading. The story is based of the true story of an American family (The Leininger Family) torn apart by the Penn's Creek Massacre in the year 1755. The books main character is Barbara Leininger one of the four of Mr. and Mrs.Leininger's children.

The book is not one I would call slow, in fact I think it may go a little to fast.
It is filled with adventure, but that is not why I liked it so much. I like
Stacie Wyatt
read Alone, not yet alone, in exchange for honest review from FlyBy Blog Promotions. The book was written by Tracy Leininger Craven and published by Zonderkidz. I was sent a paperback version of the book.

My Review:
I enjoyed reading the book. First, the book is written from a Christian perspective. The family gave up modern -day comforts (of that time) for a frontier lifestyle. The family enjoyed their home and land, not knowing they was being watched. That was just the beginning. At the beginnin
Anna Oldham
I loved this book! 5* for sure! But it kinda went too fast, if you know what I mean. It was a clumped together... it wasn't long and drawn out. But the book is one of the best Christian books I've ever read! Amazing!
Tara Henery
This was a great story. We used it as out homeschool read aloud. I can't wait for the DVD to be released.
Momma Frugal
Once I started reading, I couldn't put it down! Amazing and simply inspiring! Can't wait to see the movie!!

"Disclosure (in accordance with the FTC’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising): Many thanks to Propeller Consulting, LLC for providing this prize for the giveaway. Choice of winners and opinions are 100% my own and NOT influenced by monetary compensation. I did receive a sample of the product in exchange for this review and post.

Only
Ginger
I really liked that the author added photos to Alone, Yet Not Alone. While this book is geared towards 8-12 year olds, many books no longer have photos in there. Yet, she put them in. It gave the story more appeal to this generation. I asked Jonah how he would rate Alone, Yet Not Alone and he gave it a 5 star rating. He really liked that it was based on a true story. I thought the story was laid out nicely. From the snippets of the movie, I think that it follows along greatly. I am also giving i ...more
LaDonna
What a great and well told story!
amy nicole
Alone Yet Not Alone by Tracy Leininger Craven tells the true story of a small Christian family torn apart by an Indian Massacre in the mid-1700s. The two young Leininger sisters, Barbara and Regina, are taken captive by the Allegheny warriors, and are forced to become a part of warriors’ tribes. Through their captivity, the girl’s only hope is the promises of God and their faith that, though they are alone, captive amongst murderous Indians, God will never leave or forsake them.

This book was bo
Coranne

Alone Yet Not Alone is the engaging story of two sisters that is set in my own area. I grew up in the Appalachian mountains of Pennsylvania. Our area is rich with history of the 1700s and 1800s. I was constantly surrounded by historical stories and local lore. I was instantly attracted to this novel because it was set in Pennsylvania. It is story that is familiar to the area but I hadn't heard this specific tale before.

Alone Yet not Alone is a Middle Grade book and is less than 150 pages. It was
JeanBookNerd
Tracy Leininger Craven’s Alone Yet Not Alone is the uplifting story of survival during the beginning of the French and Indian War in the autumn of 1755. The lives of the young Leiningers sisters, Barbara and Regina, would be forever changed when a band of Indians captures them. They are separated and the story focuses on the older sister, Barbara, who becomes like a daughter to one of the Indians. Although she is kept safe and cared by the tribe, escape remains on her mind. Knowing that an escap ...more
Faye
Quite honestly the book was a bit too simple for my tastes, but I believe that is mostly due to the fact that it was written in the form of a children's chapter book.

So basically the only thing I really thought would have improved it, would be more details.

But I think that the basic story will translate well to film and I plan to see the movie. I think that this book would be best suited for children around the age of eight because of the reading level, and the slight violence, (not explicit).

Ov
Vera Godley
My thoughts: This short book was written with the middle school or older elementary reader in mind. But a parent must keep in mind when purchasing the book that the story portrays a real event with real horror that some children will find difficulty coming to terms with. It is, however, a true portrayal of a true story and a very real bit of history in the growth and expansion of America. The story begins at the cusp of the French an Indian War.

It opens with a sweet homesteading scene of the Lei
Jennifer Dyer
Alone Yet Not Alone* by Tracy Leininger Craven was a pleasant surprise. I didn't expect to be pulled into the story so much that I couldn't put it down.

Youth Barbara Leininger and her family moved from the oppressive nobility system in Germany to the British American colonies to start a new life full of freedom and hard work with rewards. They purchased their land from a local Indian tribe and settled down to farm and be a family.

Tragedy strikes, though, when some natives decide to take back the
Salinn
I thought that this book was very good. It is about two young sisters who were taken by Indians. They were twelve years old and nine at the time they were taken. The girls get sent to different tribes and the oldest one ends up with a friend. They live in the same camp for three years before running away. Two boys that had been taken in before they came are also with them when they leave. God helped them to find the nearest fort where they can get help and soon are being reunited with loved ones ...more
  • Shadow of His Hand: a Story Based on the Life of Holocaust Survivor Anita Dittman (Daughters of the Faith Series)
  • The Princess Adelina: An Ancient Christian Tale of Beauty & Bravery
  • The Hidden Hand: Or, Capitola the Madcap
  • To Have and to Hold: A Tale of Providence and Perseverance in Colonial Jamestown
  • King's Arrow (Crown and Covenant, #2)
  • Ten P's in a Pod: The Million-Mile Journal of a Home School Family
  • Thick as Thieves (Circle C Milestones, #1)
  • Where Treetops Glisten: Three Stories of Heartwarming Courage and Christmas Romance During World War II
  • The Lamplighter
  • Audrey Bunny
  • Pearl-Maiden: A Tale of the Fall of Jerusalem
  • The Basket of Flowers: A Tale for the Young
  • Cloak of the Light (Wars of the Realm, #1)
  • A Father's Promise
  • The Thief (The Living Water)
  • Beauty for Ashes (Hickory Ridge, #2)
  • Corrie Ten Boom: Keeper of the Angels' Den (Chrisitan Heroes: Then & Now)
  • Where the Trail Ends (American Tapestries)
Our Flag Was Still There: The Story of the Star-Spangled Banner

“Each of you will have times of testing in your life. But you must always remember — no matter how difficult the trial or how dense the wilderness — God will never leave you. If your hearts remain true, God promises endless blessings.” 2 likes
“Surely this trial is just for a season. All I need is the strength to endure — to see through the darkness of winter to the promise of spring.” 2 likes