Start by marking “Alone Yet Not Alone” as Want to Read:

Alone Yet Not Alone

Autumn of 1755 bestowed to the Leiningers’ world, not only its rich beauties, but also a rewarding harvest. On this particular day the whole valley seemed to rejoice in the fullness of the season—but suddenly Barbara and Regina’s peaceful frontier life is changed forever. General Braddock and his army had been defeated and soon the Pennsylvania settlers would suffer the bl ...more
Published August 1st 2003 by His Seasons

To ask other readers questions about Alone Yet Not Alone, please sign up.

Gloria Indeed! The author is the great granddaughter of Barbara Leininger, the main character.

Abigail Larsen
Apr 17, 2012 Abigail Larsen rated it it was amazing
Bethany
Warning: the following review may contain spoilers

I don't usually like to pay as much for books as I did for this one, but having seen and loved the film adaption I badly wanted to read the actual story. And as it turned out, the book was worth every cent!

Alone Yet Not Alone is the story (based on true events that happened to ancestors of the author) of two young German sisters who settle with their family in Pennsylvania, during the French and Indian war. Their house is invaded by hostile India
Mikayla
May 31, 2017 Mikayla rated it really liked it
This was a sweet story, and I loved how vivid everything was. I did not know it was based on a true story when I started, so the large time jumps bugged me. I espechilly did not like nearer the end when the characters got in trouble, and then we suddenly jump six weeks, and only hear about how they got out. That was rather disappointing.
Overall, it was a cool story, and would be great for teaching kids history.
Gabriellyn
Sep 21, 2016 Gabriellyn rated it it was amazing
I ADORE this book!
Age Appropriate For: 8 and up
Best for Ages: 8-15

This is based on a true story. It is the kind of story one would expect to have been made up. Yet, isn’t it just like God? His stories are always amazing, and his provision for his children often leaves me speechless. The almost impossibility of this story is what is amazing.

Clearly, this book is targeted for youth. While young-adults and even adults might find it interesting, youth will get the most out of it. The style of the story is simple, yet
Sarah Grace
Sep 11, 2016 Sarah Grace rated it really liked it
An amazing story!
Star Shining Forever
Aug 17, 2013 Star Shining Forever rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians, children, history fans, people who like frontier/Western tales, historical fiction fans
Wonderful book! I really enjoy tales of the frontier and pioneers making their way in the wild. After an Indian attack, two young girls are stolen away from their home by their family's murderers. Taken captive and forced to endure even more brutality, they cling to their faith and to the hope of escape. Blessed with protection in the Indian camp, they nonetheless watch and prepare for a harrowing journey back to civilization. God's miracles and protection are evident throughout their adventures ...more
Bethany
This is the true story of Barbara and Regina Leininger.
Captured by Indians and separated by everyone they know, including each other. They refuse to loose hope of seeing their family reunited again. They cling to their faith in God, knowing that they are truly never alone.
This story is fascinating especially because it is based off of a true story that actually occurred in the author's family history however I thought that the simple writing style did the story no justice.
I do think it would be
Laura Verret
1755. A peaceful settlement. Marauding Indian warriors. Abduction. Devastation… And the providence of God.

The Story.

Barbara and Regina live with the rest of their family nestled deep in the mountains of Pennsylvania. There they tend their farm and toil together to create a new home for themselves in the wilderness. They thank God for the blessings of hearth and harvest, family and the freedom to worship God according to their conscience.

They know that Indians sometimes roam the surrounding woods
Lisa Godfrees
Is anyone else as fascinated with Indian lore as I am? This based-on-a-true-story book takes place during the Penn’s Creek Massacre of 1755 during the French and Indian war. Alone Yet Not Alone is the survival story of three girls who are captured by Indians and their quest to return to their families. It is also the story of the author’s, Tracy Leininger Craven’s, family.

Theology: God is always with you

The theme of Alone Yet Not Alone is based on Deuteronomy 8:2 “Remember how the Lord your God
Kathleen
Jun 08, 2013 Kathleen rated it it was ok
First of all this book is a short, easy read. I believe it was written for the Young Adult group, which I didn't realize when I started it.

What I did like about this book was it had nothing in it that would be objectionable for your "tween" to read. It had a positive, optimistic outlook on the hardships of life.

What I didn't like about it was that the positive, optimism wasn't balanced with any internal struggles that we humans have when we go through difficulties.

Since this happens in the first
Dana
We are currently studying the French & Indian War and I came across this book. The author, a young lady who was homeschooled, had heard about her ancestor who had been kidnapped by Indians during the war. Both her and her sister survived years of captivity and the author decided to retell their story. (One of the two had written her own account of this time.)

Early in the book some Indians attack the Leninger homestead and take Barbara, age 12, and Regina, age 9, captive. Despite the girls'
Hannah
Jan 04, 2016 Hannah rated it it was amazing
Wow! Alone Yet Not Alone was an incredible story of love and trust! Two girls, Regina and Barbara, are captured by Indians and taken many miles away from their home. They are separated which is incredibly hard and go through many other trials before Barbara finally escapes and they are reunited at the end of the book which is so sweet and makes you want to cry. :) I loved reading this book and would definitely recommend it!
Jodi
Jan 29, 2014 Jodi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked that this book was written by a distant relative. The story is such a inspirational retelling of Barbara and Regina life experience of being captured by Indians in 1755. They learned that God will provide even in the most trying circumstances.
Mary
Dec 24, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes historical fiction
Recommended to Mary by: Bookmooch
Nestled high among the Blue Mountains of Pennsylvania, lies a lush green valley which the Native Americans have named Buffalo Valley. Very few immigrants have managed to tame the wilderness of the American frontier to settle in such a lush valley - named Penn's Creek by the settlers - yet the handful of settlers who were successful had lived peacefully among themselves and with their Native American neighbors for many years. One such family of settlers was the Leininger family; recently arrived ...more
Jalynn Patterson
About the Book:
The Leininger family settled deep within America's new frontier in the Blue Mountains of Pennsylvania. A sudden Indian raid changed their lives forever. This story retells the heroic and daring escape of Barbara Leininger, and the touching reunion with her sister, Regina, after nine years. It also gives us an endearing portrayal of the love between family members and the strength of childhood memories. Father and Mother Leininger's commitment to 'hide' God's Word in the hearts of
Waven
This is a short and very easy read. Unfortunately, those may be the kindest things I can say for it. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't very good. The family introduced in the opening chapters is as flat and plastic-perfect as a department store window display. The characters are similarly rendered, like mannequins posed and positioned for each scene with sadly artificial dialogue. Once the action begins, the story and telling both improve but not greatly. As another reviewer noted, the passage of ti ...more
Brandi (Rambles of a SAHM)
Alone Yet Not Alone is a compelling story of faith and endurance. The story of Barbara and Regina Leininger and the other young captives is terrifying and at the same time inspiring. It is hard to imagine ones so young experiencing what they did and not only surviving it but thriving in the aftermath.

The fact that this story is based on a true-life account makes this book all the more appealing to me. I think it would be a great read for tweens and older. It does have depictions of murder and ev
Diana Montgomery
By: Tracy Leininger Craven
Their faith became their freedom

Alone Yet Not Alone is an inspirational, true story of a family caught in the cross fire of the French and Indian War.
The Leininger family leaves Germany to settle in America the land of the free. They left because in America they would be slave to no man and free to live as God sees best. So they thought. There were Indian’s but they was not to fear them cause they were not at war with them. Then while sitting at meal
Anna Oldham
Sep 10, 2013 Anna Oldham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! 5* for sure! But it kinda went too fast, if you know what I mean. It was a clumped together... it wasn't long and drawn out. But the book is one of the best Christian books I've ever read! Amazing!
Maryann Williams featherston
Mar 21, 2013 Maryann Williams featherston rated it it was amazing
Interesting
LaDonna
Aug 20, 2013 LaDonna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great and well told story!
Tara Henery
This was a great story. We used it as out homeschool read aloud. I can't wait for the DVD to be released.
Amy Best
Jan 21, 2017 Amy Best rated it really liked it
My daughter read this book several years ago (at about age 9) and ever since has been telling me that I need to read it. I finally did and thoroughly enjoyed the amazing true story!
Becky
Apr 27, 2014 Becky rated it it was amazing
This is the true story of the Leininger Family, devout Christians, who had immigrated to America from Germany. The Leiningers purchased land from the Indians, built a cabin and began farming. The family often talked of the hardships faced in Germany before coming to this new land. They gave God the credit for getting them through the difficulties they faced. Their father told the children everyone has trials in their lives, but the thing that would help them, and could never be taken from them, ...more
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
What does it really mean to have faith even when you fear God has turned His back on you? Is it possible to hold onto the thing you were taught as a child in order to endure a future you never thought possible? Such are the questions author Tracy Leininger Craven hopes to stir in the reader's soul in her novel Alone, Yet Not Alone based on the true story accounts from Tracy's family.

Just as the Leininger family had begun a new start in life in Pennsylvania during 1755 after leaving behind the p
Leah

Alone Yet Not Alone is a smidgin of a novel - just shy of 150 pages - yet it packs a punch. Half biographical account, half fiction, author Tracey Leininger Craven tells the tale of two ancestors, Barbara and Regina Leininger. When they were still girls (Barbara was 12, Regina 9), the pair witnessed the deaths of their brother and father and were captured by Indians, taken into their camps and raised as their own.

If things weren't horrible already, shortly
Jennifer Dyer
Mar 04, 2013 Jennifer Dyer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alone Yet Not Alone* by Tracy Leininger Craven was a pleasant surprise. I didn't expect to be pulled into the story so much that I couldn't put it down.

Youth Barbara Leininger and her family moved from the oppressive nobility system in Germany to the British American colonies to start a new life full of freedom and hard work with rewards. They purchased their land from a local Indian tribe and settled down to farm and be a family.

Tragedy strikes, though, when some natives decide to take back the
Vera Godley
Aug 20, 2013 Vera Godley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My thoughts: This short book was written with the middle school or older elementary reader in mind. But a parent must keep in mind when purchasing the book that the story portrays a real event with real horror that some children will find difficulty coming to terms with. It is, however, a true portrayal of a true story and a very real bit of history in the growth and expansion of America. The story begins at the cusp of the French an Indian War.

It opens with a sweet homesteading scene of the Lei
Lindsey Silvestrini
Apr 29, 2014 Lindsey Silvestrini rated it it was amazing
Talk about a page turner! What is it about knowing that a book is based on a true story that makes you get so much more invested in it? Alone Yet Not Alone is based on a real story and written by one of the descendants of the family. There is also a movie coming out June 13th and I always like to read the book before I see the movie. Now that I’ve read this, I can’t wait to see the film adaptation of the story.

This book is actually classified as juvenile fiction and the author originally wrote
  • Ten P's in a Pod: The Million-Mile Journal of a Home School Family
  • Shadow of His Hand: a Story Based on the Life of Holocaust Survivor Anita Dittman (Daughters of the Faith Series)
  • The Princess Adelina: An Ancient Christian Tale of Beauty & Bravery
  • King's Arrow (Crown and Covenant, #2)
  • The Hidden Hand: Or, Capitola the Madcap
  • Lottie Moon: Giving Her All for China
  • To Have and to Hold: A Tale of Providence and Perseverance in Colonial Jamestown
  • The Lamplighter
  • The Basket of Flowers: A Tale for the Young
  • Sergeant York and the Great War (Men of Courage)
  • Thick as Thieves (Circle C Milestones, #1)
  • Where Treetops Glisten: Three Stories of Heartwarming Courage and Christmas Romance During World War II
  • Audrey Bunny
  • Where the Trail Ends (American Tapestries)
  • The Wide, Wide World
  • Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends: How to Fight the Good Fight at Home
  • Mother
  • In Freedom's Cause: A Story of Wallace and Bruce

“Surely this trial is just for a season. All I need is the strength to endure — to see through the darkness of winter to the promise of spring.” 4 likes
“Each of you will have times of testing in your life. But you must always remember — no matter how difficult the trial or how dense the wilderness — God will never leave you. If your hearts remain true, God promises endless blessings.” 3 likes