Are We There Yet?: A Journey Around Australia

Are We There Yet?: A Journey Around Australia

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  778 ratings  ·  44 reviews
The year I turned eight, Mum and Dad took us on a trip around Australia. Luke, Billy and I missed school for the whole winter term.

Join Grace and her family on their adventurous and sometimes funny expedition. A warm, heartfelt story based on an actual journey undertaken by the much-loved, award-winning author and illustrator, Alison Lester.
Published January 31st 2006 by Kane/Miller (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Are We There Yet?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Are We There Yet?

Possum Magic by Mem FoxAnimalia by Graeme BaseDiary of a Wombat by Jackie FrenchWhere is the Green Sheep? by Mem FoxWhere the Forest Meets the Sea by Jeannie Baker
Best Australian literature for children
6th out of 257 books — 104 voters
My First Travel Angelic Airline Adventures by Anna OthitisHow to Make an Apple Pie and See the World by Marjorie PricemanPossum Magic by Mem FoxBee-bim Bop! by Linda Sue ParkA Flower for the Queen by Caroline Vermalle
Read Around the World
6th out of 69 books — 53 voters

More lists with this book...

Cheryl in CC NV
Absolutely delightful survey of a *lot* of Australian stuff. I can totally see it being used in a Grade 3 or 4 classroom - each child could choose one animal, city, landmark, etc. and do a little research report on it.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
A 1001 CBYMRBYGU.

Could there be a better introduction to Australia? Grace and her family travel all around Australia. The book is written like a journal, with diagrams and observations about all the places the family visited, with a lovely chorus line (young brother Billy) of “Are we there yet?”

Heading south on the Tanami Track, the sand
was so deep our car got stuck. Everyone felt
hot and grouchy, and Mum was worried we’d
be stranded in the desert. Luke found a tiny
Thorny Devil, standing fierce...more
Emma - Mybookcorner
This has given me itchy feet - there is nothing like Australia for travel, it's a must do activity ... over a long period of time ... with the family ... just like Grace in Are We There Yet?

Grace and her family hitch up their pop up camper trailer and head off, literally around Australia. Alison Lester picks out the quirky and interesting snippets of information about the different places, each is accompanied by bright pencil drawings.

With almost a cartoon style layout, with several pictures and...more
S10_Jessica Oster
format: picture book
age: grades k-3
protagonist: Grace

Grace and her family decide to take a three month camping trip around Australia. While this book is informative about the different sites in different areas and the geographical locations of the places, it does not offer a great deal of information about each of the places they visit. May be good for a VERY basic introduction to Australia, but I would not recommend it as it did not seem to satisfy my interest in Australia (and I've been there...more
Randie
A family account of a vacation traveling all over Australia.

My initial reaction to this book is: INFORMATION OVERLOAD!

However, I feel that Lester does a great job of balancing out the text across the page to make it seem a little less daunting for the reader. I especially enjoyed the illustrations with captions that accurately capture the voice of a young child. For instance, describing rocks as teeth or highlighting the favorite spot in the car, etc...things that children would find important...more
Cindi
This book allows you to take a trip all the way around Australia (and to the center to Uluru too!) This is a story of a family vacation. Each page has a map to show their progress around the continent and there are many pictures to show the different things in nature, cities etc. that they experience.

Really made me want to go there or at the very least check out a photographic journey through Australia!

I saw this book at random at the library and had to check it out because my blog title is "Are...more
Tricia Douglas
This was a book for my Goodreads children's picture book group. The story took the reader (along with the book family) around the major sites of Australia. It was informative and the pictures were cute and well done. For a child I think the book might have been too much to handle, at least in one sitting, but I was definitely intriqued with the information.
LauraW
I enjoyed this book, but I wish it had been more. Of course, with a country as big as Australia, it can only scratch even the top surface, but it gave me the feeling that scratching the surface of everything was fine and I am not sure I believe that.
Eastofoz
Good story about a family travelling across Australia with lots of pictures to keep kids interested and learn a thing or two.
Susan Wight
The classic Australian home education road trip story, this book follows eight-year-old Grace whose family leaves school behind for the winter term and travel around Australia. It is based on an actual journey by the author and won the Children’s Book Council Picture Book of the Year in 2005.
Home Ed Style: Travel/Natural learning.
Portrayal: Positive, no stereotypes.
Target Age: Young children.
Conclusion: A picture book any young home education family will enjoy and a ‘must-have’ if you are doing...more
Jack Kirby and the X-man
A travel journal by 8 year old Grace of their family's 3 month holiday around Australia. The story is based roughly on the author's experiences.

The story has, i think, accurately captured an 8-year-old's view of the holiday. The are multiple different 'journal entries' per page - with a picture illustrating each one. There is a map of their journey at the start, and every couple of pages there is a map showing their journey to date.

I've done ~1/2 of this trip at various times through the years,...more
David
Are We There Yet?: A Journey Around Australia by Alison Lester chronicles a family's three month trip around Australia in a travel camper, narrated by eight-year-old Grace.

Lester's colorful, detailed illustrations are done in pencil in a cartoon-like style. The appealing drawings will draw readers into the trip. Most pages have several pictures with text for each. Many pictures focused on the family as they travelled. Occasional maps show the trip's route. A number of animals are featured. My fa...more
Dolly
Aug 26, 2012 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Taking a semester off from school and traveling around the country is a romantic idea. I'm not sure how many people actually get an opportunity to do this, so it was fascinating to watch this family's journey. The narrative was long and might be too detailed for younger children, but we were fascinated by the different entries. There was a good combination of pictures and narrative, so we could track the trip and get an idea of the things they saw. I doubt that I would be quite as adventurous as...more
Now I totally want to go drive around Australia for three months! In Are We There Yet?, based on events from her real family travels, Alison Lester gives a rapid-fire tour of Australia. I'm not sure I would purchase this title for an elementary school collection only because it doesn't support the curriculum and few students would have a connection to the title. But I loved the book and travel concept!

My only complaints are that the book felt a little like 'best of' highlights and I was sort of...more
Nicole
Jan 20, 2014 Nicole rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone travelling with kids
Recommended to Nicole by: Mum
Are We There Yet?: A Journey Around Australia is a rather wordy picture book, detailing a road trip around Australia. Despite, at times, finding it difficult to follow the order of paragraphs, I found it to be interesting and well written. It would be a fantastic book to read to children, or have them read, while travelling.
Tracy
Picture Book. CIP Summary: "Join Grace and her family as they hit the road camping, experiencing, and meeting all the people and places that make up Australia."

Great book if you want to learn all about Australia. There are several small pictures on each page. The author/illustrator has maps throughout the book to show the family's travels around Australia. Difficult to read for read aloud because some of the pictures are so small. Children in second grade or older may prefer to read this book to...more
Belinda
A very enjoyable story about a family that took a family vacation around Australian in a campervan. My four year old loved this book. Especially as she got to say the infamous line on every page "Are We There Yet?" Very educational too, showing some of the most beautiful assets this country has to see. Very inspirational too, as this would be something I would love to do with my girls when they get older.
Brenda
Mar 07, 2011 Brenda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
This book is a great Aussie story about a family who travels around Australia in an old camper trailer, which is their home for 3 months. The author Alison Lester, is remotely related to my family, and the place the journey starts is where I spent some of my childhood, age 2 to age 7!

I've read it many times, and always enjoy it...it always makes me smile!
Shellys♥ Journal
I loved this book and so did my kids. Basically, it's the story of a family taking a road trip around the Australian contenant. It is very interesting, the illustrations are great and it gives a good basic overview of some things "Down Under". We made a list of things we wanted to look at more closely and pulled them up on the computer.

Love. Love. Love.
Anna
FANTASTIC. I picked this up in the children's section of the library and it caught my eye right away. I loved that there was a map in the inside cover and that the story told all about a journey through Australia. As an adult, I loved this format and really enjoyed learning more about Australia's geography and sights from this text. Very well done, super creative!
Stephanie
This week (and much of December 09) we have been talking about Australia's animals and the country. (I think every child must go through an "Australia" phase). Needless to say, Australia is fascinating, and this book is a good kid's eye view of it - from the view point of a family that takes a three month journey around the island/country/continent.
Fjóla
Jun 12, 2012 Fjóla rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 4 - 8 year olds, Australia fans
So inspiring! The travel story has a good flow and realistic details. That and the little adventures and exciting experiences this little family has on their trip, together with the colorful illustrations of all the fantastic sites they visit really makes me want to go there. It's on our bucket list now ...
The Styling Librarian
Are We There Yet? by Alison Lester – A journey around Australia – my son and I enjoyed travelling around Australia with this book… it is about a family who took off for a term of school and enjoyed exploring all over Australia.
Kate Love
It's a good book if you like to travel. My favourite part was when the were fireworks over the Sydney Harbour Bridge. I recommend the book for Rosie, Tiana, Charlize in my class as well as boys and girls around the world. Oliver VB Year 3.
Dymocks Rouse Hill
What a fantastuc way to learn about our beautiful country, it's geography, it's people, it's diversity. Alison Lester's text and illustrations are a fabulous tribute to Australia and it is very warm and funny. Highly recommended by Jan!
Beky
Aug 02, 2007 Beky added it
Shelves: childrenstories
The book wonderfully show the beauty of Australia,
Ah, life can't always be this good, if i could go there...i would savour my time and surely will bring lots of films...these will be the best memories I'll want to relive.
Devilish
This holds up to multiple readings. There is lots to look at in the pictures. This was my daughter's favourite book for a long time. I didn't tire of reading it to her. Highly, highly recommended.
Alex
Great, great stuff - perfect for kids of all ages, and fun for adults suffering from wanderlust. Highly recommended if you can find it! (I have no idea if it's available in the US - it should be!)
Rima Halig
a family decides to go on a year trip to places in Australia. Good to read when introducing Australia to the class because factual places are discussed throughout the story.
Ellee
Very cute tour of Australia! Recommended for parents teaching young children (up to 3rd grade) about other countries or for families planning to vacation in Australia.
  • John Brown, Rose and the Midnight Cat (Picture Puffin)
  • Mr. Archimedes' Bath
  • Wombat Stew
  • "Let's Get a Pup!" Said Kate
  • Wolves
  • The Water Hole
Has a son Lachie Hume, who is also a published children's book author.
More about Alison Lester...
Magic Beach The Snow Pony Sophie Scott Goes South The Quicksand Pony Imagine