A Promise for Tomorrow

A Promise for Tomorrow (Ribbons of Steel #3)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  364 ratings  ·  17 reviews
What cost will the completion of the railroad exact from the Baldwin's lives? Ribbons of Steel book 3.
Published April 1st 2010 by Bethany House Publishers (first published April 1998)

Jenni
I had read the first two books of this series earlier in the summer. However, when I came to this one, I kept starting it and putting it down. I needed a break from the trains, and the characters that I was so frustrated/angry with in the first two books.

This books starts a little slow, but the story actually isn't much of a continuation. Once part 1 is over, we see new characters, new plot twists, and an over-all better theme. This book focuses mostly on the relationships we have with our famil...more
I really enjoy this series but the last part was hard for me to finish it seems like it was dragging on a bit but still worth the effort and I would recommend this this series, but I don't feel the second or the thrid can stand on their own.
Jane Alden
Promise for Tomorrow

I just finished reading the last book of this series and enjoyed it as the first two. These authors sure know how to write. I give it five stars.
I liked the 1st 2 books in this series and now when I re-read the story I usually just stop after the 2nd.
Lyssa
I kept picking this book up and putting it down, picking it up and putting it down. For weeks, actually. At one point I even skimmed it, reading pages at a time, from start to finish, trying to find something to pull me in, but it actually had the opposite effect. I realized so much time had passed in between the last book and this book. Obviously the author felt that the story had been well enough resolved as well, and had moved forward to find a new plot. But I just wasn't into it anymore. And...more
Karen
Thank goodness it's over. I just remember thinking... THAT'S IT??? I read 3 books for this ending? Ugh. More forced conversations about God. It's just unrealistic that every supporting character in the book would preach the same sermon. It got old. I'm a Christian and it annoyed me. So I can imagine if you're not, it would be pretty exasperating for all the supporting characters to preach the same thing all the time and that's all you have to do to solve all your problems. That's not even how it...more
Carolyn
Really liked the history about railroads and the meaning behind the term "the fighting Irish" - I was a history major, so really liked that. The rest of the story was okay, I felt that she fast forwarded a lot and I didn't get as attached to the characters as to the previous two books in the series - the focus wasn't on the characters that much.
Caitlin Botkin
Enjoyed the first two books, didn't want to put them down. This one finished with more unfinished plot lines than finished ones. Disappointed.
Paula Stroup
The best of the series. I am looking forward to the sequel series surrounding the children as our country continues to grow around this family. Great read with a positive, inspirational message throughout.
Karen
So glad to have finished this book, I had about given up on finishing it. It moved so slowly and had too much railroad in it. It just did not hold my interest.
Kate
I enjoyed that this series didn't end with marriage like so many Christian Fiction stories. It wasn't as quickly moving as many, but I enjoyed it.
Shelena
Fantastic series. One of those that you just can't put down until you've finished all of them. Thanks for great historical fiction.
Jodi
Only made it about halfway through this one. There was just too much info on railroads and it didn't hold my interest at all.
Cynthiakay
Good book...not as good as the first two but enjoyed it still.
Nancy Stadler
Book 3 of the Ribbons of Steel series. A bit anti-climatic.
bah! So what happens??? Many loose ends left untold!
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
  • These Tangled Threads (Bells of Lowell, #3)
  • Travail and Triumph (The Russians, #3)
  • A City Not Forsaken (Cheney Duvall, M.D. Series #3)
Judith Pella is a bestselling, award-winning author whose writing career spans two decades. Her in-depth historical and geographical research combines with her skillful storytelling to provide readers with dramatic, thought-provoking novels. She and her husband make their home in Scapoose, Oregon.
More about Judith Pella...
Distant Dreams (Ribbons of Steel, #1) The Dawning of Deliverance (The Russians, #5) Heirs of the Motherland (The Russians, #4) Written on the Wind (Daughters of Fortune, #1) A Hope Beyond (Ribbons of Steel, #2)