Start by marking “The Lurking Fear and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Lurking Fear and Other Stories

The Lurking Fear and Other Stories (H.P. Lovecraft Collected Short Stories #4)

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,068 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
The Lurking Fear; Dagon; Beyond the Wall of Sleep; The White Ship; Arthur Jermyn; From Beyond; The Temple; The Moon Bog; The Hound; The Unnamable; The Outsider; The Shadow Over Innsmouth
Paperback
Published January 1st 1971 by Beagle Books (first published 1923)

To ask other readers questions about The Lurking Fear and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lurking Fear and Other Stories

Michael
Oct 28, 2010 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Horror fans, Lovecraftians, Geeks
Recommended to Michael by: AD&D Deities and Demigods
Shelves: pulp-fiction
Every year at this time, I return to HPL. It always gives me pleasure, although at this many re-readings, there isn't the same thrill of newness and discovery, nor does the imagery fire my dreams as much as it once did.

This collection is solid, although not necessarily cohesive. Most of the stories are straight-forward horror, and mostly outside of the mythos cycle, although there is one Dreamworld story ("The White Ship") and the longest story ("The Shadow over Innsmouth") is fairly well part o
Emmett
Sep 16, 2012 Emmett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, short-stories
The Lurking Fear was what drew me into this one. I enjoyed the suspense, the accentuating sense of mystery and horror, and it's clear why Lovecraft and his fictional universe stand out as one of the pillars of the horror genre. I found it very impressive how Derleth mirrors Lovecraft's writing - it's almost uncanny, that if the book had not stated discreetly in the copyrights section the stories' respective authors, I would be surprised had I been told they were written by different people. Of c ...more
Mitch
Oct 15, 2011 Mitch rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My month of horror/Halloween themed novels in October continues in search of the scariest book. So, naturally, I decided to try out Lovecraft, who I have never read before. Lovecraft is considered the best horror short-story writer, so I was excited to find this collection of his stories at my favourite used book shop.

Now, I must say, I discovered with Lovecraft that his stories are either hit or miss with me. I either found them amazing, or found them dull and sometimes over-the-top. Never onc
Patrick Nichols
Apr 13, 2013 Patrick Nichols rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A delectable sampling from the lord of loathing. I've always thought Lovecraft's influence arose from his single-mindedness - he didn't allow anything as paltry as good writing to get in the way of his metaphysical disquietude.

This collection is a real mass-market mishmash, but that's part of the fun. We have "Arthur Jermyn," which by far is the most blatant testament to Lovecraft's racism. The eponymous Arthur basically discovers - to his horror - his African heritage, and naturally is driven
Rebecca McNutt
Nobody does horror quite like H.P. Lovecraft, and this book of strange and sinister stories is no exception. Definitely a book worth reading :D
Doroteja
Mar 27, 2016 Doroteja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Doroteja by: Nikola Korbuc
A good way to get me back on the reading rails. I hadn't read (most of) these in their original English, and the translations I got my hands on were of questionable quality, to put it gently. Exception granted: an edition of the Nekronomikon I found in the City Library.

Some of the stories that stood out to me were The Book, The White Ship, The Outsider and The Quest of Iranon, along a few others. The titular story itself didn't leave much of an impression on me overall, though there were some we
Libicni
Aug 20, 2015 Libicni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
En el aniversario del nacimiento de H.P.Lovecraft leí "el horror oculto" como siempre este clásico autor no me decepciona con sus oscuros relatos llenos de seres espeluznantes. y está obra no fue la excepción, en este caso una repulsiva criatura que sólo salía de noche precedida por fuertes truenos causaba la muerte de sus víctimas desmembrándolas de maneras impensables, una antigua casa abandonada en el bosque alberga la maligna criatura caníbal producto de la endogamia en una milenaria familia ...more
Iliana Veltcheva
The Bulgarian edition of this Lovecraft anthology is very different (it only features a small handful of stories, at least one of which isn’t in the original). My apologies to the purists, but since the title’s the same, and the book I actually read as a child isn’t on GR, I’m submitting my review here.

The Lurking Fear (BG edition) contains two of the three short stories (by any writer) that have genuinely scared me. I picked it up at a book fair when I was 12 - same time and place I got my fir
Tatev
"...These beings were like waters of the river Than, not to be understood. Their deeds I recall not, for they were but of a moment. Their aspects I recall dimly, it was like to that of the little apes in the trees. Their name I recall cleary, for it rhymes with that of river. These beings of yesterday were called Men".

Memory. H.P. Lovecraft.

I have long restrained myself from reviewing the classics. Too much has already been said; to many critics have spent a handful of sleepless nights producing
Kristopher
Back in December I discovered the H. P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast, which goes through every Lovecraft story one at a time. I decided to use it as a "book club" and finally read all of Lovecraft's works.

This book contained stories I'd never read before, like "The Lurking Fear" and some I'd read multiple times, like "Shadow over Innsmouth." Overall, I enjoyed the stories collected here, although many were from early in Lovecraft's career, before he'd truly honed his talent.
Dan Henk
Sep 27, 2012 Dan Henk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think Lovecraft often gets a bad rap. People read that he influenced the modern greats, everyone form authors like Stephen King and Clive Barker, to movie makers like John Carpenter and Wes Craven, and then dive into his books expecting the same fare. He wrote for a different era. His mind-bending, first person surrealistic approach to a creeping, nameless horror stunned and fascinated huge segments of early century America. The America that read, that is, which wasn't nearly what it is today. ...more
Mark R.
Jun 21, 2012 Mark R. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a horror fan, I'm probably not as well-read in Lovecraft literature as I should be. This was my second time through this collection, and I've also read "The Doom that Came to Sarnoth, and Other Stories." Both are excellent collections, and I'm thinking it might be about time to purchase that massive "Necronomicon" which collects all of his stories.

I read "The Lurking Fear" again after working out ideas for a story of my own, based on Lovecraft's interpretation of the ancient Babylonian god Da
Breanna
Aug 07, 2015 Breanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, horror
Truly an incredible collection of short stories from a monumental horror writer. These stories make it very clear why Lovecraft is an influence on nearly every horror author out there. I'd like to select favourites, but they truly all stood out for me in different ways. The Shadow Over Innsmouth was the first horror story to truly spook me and give me the chills in a very long while.
Stephen Henninger
Just finished a collection of H.P. Lovecraft short stories. My first real foray into Lovecraft was pleasant but left some to be desired.

Lovecraft has a very interesting style but at times is too long winded in his description. Also I find his narration style, always an unnamed man, to be too similar and in a short story collection makes the reader tire quickly of reading; at least it did for this reader.

However, some of the stories were really good. My personal favorites were ‘The Lurking Fear’,
Katsumi
Aug 30, 2009 Katsumi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Lurking Fear is a collection of 12 separate stories, written from the mid 20s to the late 30s, and generally can be considered part of the classic Lovecraft body of work. In particular, stories like The Shadow Over Innsmouth, Dagon, The Temple, The Outsider, and Arthur Jermyn are among the best he wrote; some of the dream-sequence stuff, like The White Ship, are less powerful but still unmistakeably Lovecraftian.

Stories like these are best read separately, individually; when run together, s
B.E.
Jun 09, 2015 B.E. rated it really liked it
I hadn't read Lovecraft before this book. Interesting. A lot of the stories had enough similarities that reading it straight through became monotonous. Picking it back up again after a month helped. And it provided me what I was ultimately looking for - a Cthulu story. Not necessarily my thing, but enjoyable enough to carry 4 stars for me. YMMV.
Charlie Appleby
Sep 01, 2015 Charlie Appleby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the few stories I have ever read in which I was well and truly terrified. Especially since it was in a dark forest in a tent.
Timothy Boyd
Apparently I am not to be a Lovecraft fan, I should be as he wrote in the Pulp era and is along the lines of many of my favorite writers from then. I have tried reading his fiction several times at various times in my life and never seem to get into it. Good selection of his stories in this book both long and short. Several good ideas for plots but the writing seems to drag. For me this is a book not recommended to other readers.
Shane
Aug 07, 2007 Shane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: readin2007, horror
This is another Lovecraft collection that I've been reading for years and just decided to finish this year. Surprisingly, I thought the title story was the worst of the lot. That said it still wasn't bad, just a little over the top with the "indescribable horror" stuff (yes even for Lovecraft). The other story that was rather strange was -The Temple- which felt like it was some one else writing a Lovecraft story. Other than that though many of these are solid additions to the Lovecraft library, ...more
Cameron
Jul 05, 2015 Cameron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worth reading for The Shadow Over Innsmouth.
Edward Moore
Revisiting those strange, non-Euclidean angles. See some old...elder friends. Yes yes yes.
Rustin
Mar 17, 2011 Rustin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
H.P. Lovecraft is an influential writer of horror who has gained fame after his death. My tastes seem more in line with his contemporaries. I didn't like his writing and his stories were strange, but not startling. This book was rather boring, but the short stories make it readable during trips. Short stories found in Alfred Hitchcock Magazine are better.

Read to p. 98 which includes: The Lurking Fear; Dagan; Beyond the Wall of Sleep; The White Ship; Arthur Jermyn; From Beyond; The Temple; The Mo
Madison E.
Jan 31, 2015 Madison E. marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: loaned
Meag
Tim Guthat
Sep 05, 2011 Tim Guthat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book of H. P. Lovecraft I owned. Rereading the stories now, I still find them frightening. This collection contains "The Shadow over Innsmouth," which Lovecraft didn't like; despite this, it's one of my favorites. It combines Lovecraft's cosmic horror with an edge of your seat adventure. Of course, there is "The Lurking Fear" which I would only read during a thunderstorm if I was under extreme duress. Good stuff!
Mollie Trail
Mar 07, 2013 Mollie Trail rated it liked it
I'm being genreous because there were stories that I actually liked such as: Beyond the Wall of Sleep, The White Ship, The Lurking Fear, The Unnamable, The Hound, and Arhtur Jermyn. I don't like the stories of Dagon and Cthulhu. I just don't. They are okay. I say I'm being generous because I'm just tired of reading his stuff. The stories weren't so bad. Flowery writing of the early 1900's just gets a bit tiring after a while.
David Allen
Aug 08, 2010 David Allen rated it really liked it
HPL's approach usually involves a survivor telling us a tale in flashback, larded with adjectives like "ghastly," "strange," "grotesque," "blasphemous" and "morbidity," about some cosmic horror that, say, casts shadows "which no mind could fully grasp and no pen even partly describe" (thus letting the author off the hook). Pulpy, almost campy at times, but, if you can surrender yourself to it, pretty amazing.
Veleda
Aug 01, 2009 Veleda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, horror
Lovecraft's prose tends towards the dense and purple, but no one can beat him when it comes to ideas. I find the Cthulhu Mythos to be some of the captivating fiction ever dreamed up. The non Mythos stories in this collection are plenty entertaining too. And, as a bonus, this particular collection contains less of the racism that so vexes me when I'm reading Lovecraft.
Kenneth Pedersen
The Lurking fear is one of those classic Lovecraft stories, i would not say his best work but still very enjoyable and has some moments of really creepiness. Not as strong as Shadow or Mountains. but has a very Pickman's Model feel to it. the end felt a little rushed, but this was one of his serialized stories that read better as a whole then Reanimator.
Joe
Aug 26, 2009 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
H.P. lovecraft has always been one of my favorite writers. his stories are chilling and acctually do get my heart pumping a little faster. his short stories are the best because the pack the most punch, but some of his longer ones, like the call of Cthulu, can be awesome as well. my favorite has always been THe Lurking Fear
David
While Lovecraft is best known for his tales of Cthulhu and other beings that might have been demons, extra-terrestrials, gods or all three, he wrote many stories that defied genre limits by mixing fantasy, horror, and science fiction.

• The Book of Iod: Ten Tales of the Mythos
  • The Trail of Cthulhu
  • Disciples of Cthulhu
  • H.P. Lovecraft's Book of Horror
  • The Yellow Sign & Other Stories
  • The Boats of the 'Glen Carrig'
  • The Complete Pegāna: All the Tales Pertaining to the Fabulous Realm of Pegāna
  • The Encyclopedia Cthulhiana: A Guide to Lovecraftian Horror
  • The Complete John Silence Stories (Dover Horror Classics)
  • Shudder Again: 22 Tales of Sex and Horror
  • Mysteries of the Worm: Twenty Cthulhu Mythos Tales by Robert Bloch (Call of Cthulhu Fiction)
Howard Phillips Lovecraft, of Providence, Rhode Island, was an American author of horror, fantasy and science fiction.

Lovecraft's major inspiration and invention was cosmic horror: life is incomprehensible to human minds and the universe is fundamentally alien. Those who genuinely reason, like his protagonists, gamble with sanity. Lovecraft has developed a cult following for his Cthulhu Mythos, a
More about H.P. Lovecraft...

H.P. Lovecraft Collected Short Stories (4 books)
  • The Whisperer in Darkness: Collected Stories Volume 1