The Lurking Fear and Other Stories

The Lurking Fear and Other Stories (H.P. Lovecraft Collected Short Stories #4)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  1,724 ratings  ·  60 reviews
Twelve soul-chilling stories by the master of horror will leave you shivering in your boots and afraid to go out in the night. Only H.P. Lovecraft can send your heart racing faster than it's ever gone before. And here are the stories to prove it.
Paperback
Published January 1st 1971 by Beagle Books (first published 1923)

To ask other readers questions about The Lurking Fear and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lurking Fear and Other Stories

Michael
Oct 28, 2010 Michael rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Horror fans, Lovecraftians, Geeks
Recommended to Michael by: AD&D Deities and Demigods
Shelves: pulp-fiction
Every year at this time, I return to HPL. It always gives me pleasure, although at this many re-readings, there isn't the same thrill of newness and discovery, nor does the imagery fire my dreams as much as it once did.

This collection is solid, although not necessarily cohesive. Most of the stories are straight-forward horror, and mostly outside of the mythos cycle, although there is one Dreamworld story ("The White Ship") and the longest story ("The Shadow over Innsmouth") is fairly well part o...more
Lindsay
Lovecraft is probably better known for his stories involving tentacled oily nasties from other dimensions (aka the cthulhu mythos), but he also does an excellent line in incest fic, or 'speculative genetics' as per this story.

Where these stories lag a little in their predictable-ness they easily compensate for in the sheer tentacular-ness of prose:

Shreiking, slithering, torrential shadows of red viscous madness chasing one another through endless, ensanguinated condors of purple fulgurous sky..
Emmett
The Lurking Fear was what drew me into this one. I enjoyed the suspense, the accentuating sense of mystery and horror, and it's clear why Lovecraft and his fictional universe stand out as one of the pillars of the horror genre. I found it very impressive how Derleth mirrors Lovecraft's writing - it's almost uncanny, that if the book had not stated discreetly in the copyrights section the stories' respective authors, I would be surprised had I been told they were written by different people. Of c...more
Mitch
My month of horror/Halloween themed novels in October continues in search of the scariest book. So, naturally, I decided to try out Lovecraft, who I have never read before. Lovecraft is considered the best horror short-story writer, so I was excited to find this collection of his stories at my favourite used book shop.

Now, I must say, I discovered with Lovecraft that his stories are either hit or miss with me. I either found them amazing, or found them dull and sometimes over-the-top. Never onc...more
Patrick Nichols
A delectable sampling from the lord of loathing. I've always thought Lovecraft's influence arose from his single-mindedness - he didn't allow anything as paltry as good writing to get in the way of his metaphysical disquietude.

This collection is a real mass-market mishmash, but that's part of the fun. We have "Arthur Jermyn," which by far is the most blatant testament to Lovecraft's racism. The eponymous Arthur basically discovers - to his horror - his African heritage, and naturally is driven...more
Tatev
"...These beings were like waters of the river Than, not to be understood. Their deeds I recall not, for they were but of a moment. Their aspects I recall dimly, it was like to that of the little apes in the trees. Their name I recall cleary, for it rhymes with that of river. These beings of yesterday were called Men".

Memory. H.P. Lovecraft.

I have long restrained myself from reviewing the classics. Too much has already been said; to many critics have spent a handful of sleepless nights producing...more
Kristopher
Back in December I discovered the H. P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast, which goes through every Lovecraft story one at a time. I decided to use it as a "book club" and finally read all of Lovecraft's works.

This book contained stories I'd never read before, like "The Lurking Fear" and some I'd read multiple times, like "Shadow over Innsmouth." Overall, I enjoyed the stories collected here, although many were from early in Lovecraft's career, before he'd truly honed his talent.
Dan Henk
I think Lovecraft often gets a bad rap. People read that he influenced the modern greats, everyone form authors like Stephen King and Clive Barker, to movie makers like John Carpenter and Wes Craven, and then dive into his books expecting the same fare. He wrote for a different era. His mind-bending, first person surrealistic approach to a creeping, nameless horror stunned and fascinated huge segments of early century America. The America that read, that is, which wasn't nearly what it is today....more
Mark R.
As a horror fan, I'm probably not as well-read in Lovecraft literature as I should be. This was my second time through this collection, and I've also read "The Doom that Came to Sarnoth, and Other Stories." Both are excellent collections, and I'm thinking it might be about time to purchase that massive "Necronomicon" which collects all of his stories.

I read "The Lurking Fear" again after working out ideas for a story of my own, based on Lovecraft's interpretation of the ancient Babylonian god Da...more
Stephen Henninger
Just finished a collection of H.P. Lovecraft short stories. My first real foray into Lovecraft was pleasant but left some to be desired.

Lovecraft has a very interesting style but at times is too long winded in his description. Also I find his narration style, always an unnamed man, to be too similar and in a short story collection makes the reader tire quickly of reading; at least it did for this reader.

However, some of the stories were really good. My personal favorites were ‘The Lurking Fear’,...more
Katsumi
The Lurking Fear is a collection of 12 separate stories, written from the mid 20s to the late 30s, and generally can be considered part of the classic Lovecraft body of work. In particular, stories like The Shadow Over Innsmouth, Dagon, The Temple, The Outsider, and Arthur Jermyn are among the best he wrote; some of the dream-sequence stuff, like The White Ship, are less powerful but still unmistakeably Lovecraftian.

Stories like these are best read separately, individually; when run together, s...more
Shane
This is another Lovecraft collection that I've been reading for years and just decided to finish this year. Surprisingly, I thought the title story was the worst of the lot. That said it still wasn't bad, just a little over the top with the "indescribable horror" stuff (yes even for Lovecraft). The other story that was rather strange was -The Temple- which felt like it was some one else writing a Lovecraft story. Other than that though many of these are solid additions to the Lovecraft library,...more
soul
И в трите части на сборника ("Цветът от Космоса", "Безименният град" и "Сянка над Инсмут") има достатъчна доза класен хорър, съчетан с изтънчена проза.

“Цветът от космоса”, писан през далечната 1927 г., много прилича на зловещо предсказание. Трагедията на Наюм Гарднър и семейството му, опустошенията по животните и растенията около фермата му и "ожарените", лишени от живот и сякаш прокълнати земи, са неизбежен паралел с аварията в Чернобил.

Адмирации за Любомир Николов, превел и съставил един чудес...more
Edward Moore
Revisiting those strange, non-Euclidean angles. See some old...elder friends. Yes yes yes.
Dave Peticolas

Can't get enough!

Rustin
H.P. Lovecraft is an influential writer of horror who has gained fame after his death. My tastes seem more in line with his contemporaries. I didn't like his writing and his stories were strange, but not startling. This book was rather boring, but the short stories make it readable during trips. Short stories found in Alfred Hitchcock Magazine are better.

Read to p. 98 which includes: The Lurking Fear; Dagan; Beyond the Wall of Sleep; The White Ship; Arthur Jermyn; From Beyond; The Temple; The Mo...more
Tim Guthat
This is the first book of H. P. Lovecraft I owned. Rereading the stories now, I still find them frightening. This collection contains "The Shadow over Innsmouth," which Lovecraft didn't like; despite this, it's one of my favorites. It combines Lovecraft's cosmic horror with an edge of your seat adventure. Of course, there is "The Lurking Fear" which I would only read during a thunderstorm if I was under extreme duress. Good stuff!
Mollie Trail
I'm being genreous because there were stories that I actually liked such as: Beyond the Wall of Sleep, The White Ship, The Lurking Fear, The Unnamable, The Hound, and Arhtur Jermyn. I don't like the stories of Dagon and Cthulhu. I just don't. They are okay. I say I'm being generous because I'm just tired of reading his stuff. The stories weren't so bad. Flowery writing of the early 1900's just gets a bit tiring after a while.
David Allen
HPL's approach usually involves a survivor telling us a tale in flashback, larded with adjectives like "ghastly," "strange," "grotesque," "blasphemous" and "morbidity," about some cosmic horror that, say, casts shadows "which no mind could fully grasp and no pen even partly describe" (thus letting the author off the hook). Pulpy, almost campy at times, but, if you can surrender yourself to it, pretty amazing.
Veleda
Lovecraft's prose tends towards the dense and purple, but no one can beat him when it comes to ideas. I find the Cthulhu Mythos to be some of the captivating fiction ever dreamed up. The non Mythos stories in this collection are plenty entertaining too. And, as a bonus, this particular collection contains less of the racism that so vexes me when I'm reading Lovecraft.
Kenneth Pedersen
The Lurking fear is one of those classic Lovecraft stories, i would not say his best work but still very enjoyable and has some moments of really creepiness. Not as strong as Shadow or Mountains. but has a very Pickman's Model feel to it. the end felt a little rushed, but this was one of his serialized stories that read better as a whole then Reanimator.
Joe
H.P. lovecraft has always been one of my favorite writers. his stories are chilling and acctually do get my heart pumping a little faster. his short stories are the best because the pack the most punch, but some of his longer ones, like the call of Cthulu, can be awesome as well. my favorite has always been THe Lurking Fear
David
While Lovecraft is best known for his tales of Cthulhu and other beings that might have been demons, extra-terrestrials, gods or all three, he wrote many stories that defied genre limits by mixing fantasy, horror, and science fiction.

Debra
Stephen King recommended author and book. King said Lovecraft is the "twentieth-century horror story's dark and baroque prince" in Chapter 2 of Berkley's 1983 paperback edition of Danse Macabre.

King mentioned book in Chapter 3 of Berkley's 1983 paperback edition of Danse Macabre.
Allie Grasshopper
Je ne suis pas très attirée par l'univers de Lovecraft. Ma curiosité est uniquement due à mon passé de rôliste. J'ai tout de même tenté ce recueil. Si je n'ai pas été emballée par La peur qui rôde, la Maison Maudite et la Tourbière Hantée remontent le niveau.
Chris
I don't particularly care for Lovecraft's Cthulu stories, but these were a great alternative. Lovecraft creates a deep sense of dread in all of his stories. The Lurking Fear and The Shadow over Insmouth stand out as the best of this collection.
David
A simple little story with some neat twists in it and some seriously horrible moments. As always with Lovecraft, the language is greatly prominent when carrying the stories. I did find it a little scary, yes, but also nicely intriguing.
Ryan Mishap
How, exactly, does fear lurk? Such twisted nonsense is why good old H.P. isn't considered a master anywhere outside of the "cult" corral. You may forgive him these slip-ups, but literary critics never will (they never have any fun either).
Marissa Wilk
I own a few of these Del Rey paperback collections of HPL. When I first got into Lovecraft, they were nice, but now that I own books with corrected texts, annotations, and the like, these are superfluous at best.
Mark Singer
I first read this collection of HPL stories in 7th grade, and was scared. To this day, stories like "The Lurking fear", "The White Ship", "The Outsider" and "The Shadow Over Innsmouth" still hold up.
  • Nameless Cults: The Complete Cthulhu Mythos Fiction of Robert E. Howard
  • A Rendezvous in Averoigne
  • The Hastur Cycle
  • H.P. Lovecraft's Book of Horror
  • The Encyclopedia Cthulhiana: A Guide to Lovecraftian Horror (Call of Cthulhu)
  • Mysteries of the Worm: Twenty Cthulhu Mythos Tales by Robert Bloch (Call of Cthulhu Fiction)
  • Yellow Sign & Other Stories
  • Titus Crow, Volume 1: The Burrowers Beneath; The Transition of Titus Crow
  • The Boats of the 'Glen Carrig'
  • The Three Impostors and Other Stories
  • Songs of a Dead Dreamer
  • The Trail of Cthulhu
  • The Complete John Silence Stories (Dover Horror Classics)
  • Borderlands 1
  • Delta Green (Call of Cthulhu)
  • Casting the Runes and Other Ghost Stories
  • Cold Print
  • Dark Gods
Howard Phillips Lovecraft, of Providence, Rhode Island, was an American author of horror, fantasy and science fiction.

Lovecraft's major inspiration and invention was cosmic horror: life is incomprehensible to human minds and the universe is fundamentally alien. Those who genuinely reason, like his protagonists, gamble with sanity. Lovecraft has developed a cult following for his Cthulhu Mythos, a...more
More about H.P. Lovecraft...
The Best of H.P. Lovecraft: Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories At the Mountains of Madness and Other Tales of Terror At the Mountains of Madness The Call of Cthulhu