Start by marking “The Decorated Journal: Creating Beautifully Expressive Journal Pages” as Want to Read:
The Decorated Journal: Creating Beautifully Expressive Journal Pages

The Decorated Journal: Creating Beautifully Expressive Journal Pages

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  471 ratings  ·  14 reviews
This follow-up to the highly popular Decorated Page offers even more great ideas for beautifying a journal, more breathtaking photos to inspire, and more smart (and simple) ways to endow even the artistically timid with confidence. It simply brims with suggestions and instructions. Find out about the wealth of contemporary supplies, from papers and adhesives to paints, pen ...more
Published June 1st 2005 by Lark Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Decorated Journal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Decorated Journal

bookyeti
comprehensive and enjoyable workshop in a book

The Decorated Journal attests that Gwen Diehn, not only competent at binding and embellishing beautiful books, also finds her niche in writing them. From the first page onward, it is evident that Diehn, who teaches journal-creation itself as an art form, takes great pride in sharing the details of her creative knowledge and experience, as much as she enjoys putting them to use.

In this inspiring companion to her previous book, The Decorated Page, Dieh
Carla
This is what I would consider a classic antidote for a constant round of books that are full of the authors' prompts to do it their way. How many faces with soulful eyes turned upward and teeny pointy chins surrounded with white printing on colored grounds do I want to see?

Diehn opens a pathway that is pretty clear of all that drivel and provides a path to exploration that steers clear of cloying and copying. There's plenty to encourage investigation of our own way through self-expression. After
Brittany
Sep 20, 2012 Brittany rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brittany by: Karen
I liked this one even more than Gwen Diehn's other book about journaling: The Decorated Page: Journals, Scrapbooks & Albums Made Simply Beautiful. Some of the information overlapped, but this was more practical for my purposes. She's goes into detail about ink, paint, glue, paper, book binding, journal types and inspiration, drawing techniques, etc. I love looking at the pictures of other art journals.
Kristina
This is for people who have nothing to do all day long...
Darby
This book is not an exact step by step book but it does give some how-to's and suggestions on way to make a decorated journal. The examples are truly beautiful and creative. This book does focus on paint more then any other material though. And although I am more collage oriented when making journals the book did give me a lot of inspiration and desire to paint in a journal.
Rebecca
Good visual resource for journalling, sketchbooks and creating in general
Mycala
Another for my keeper bookshelf. While it's not as heavy on the artwork as some art journal books, there are a lot of fantastic prompts and ideas in here.
Lise Audet
Wonderful journal inspirations. I love using watercolour as a medium especially with children. I enjoyed the section on Journaling with children.
Jill Berry
this is the best book on journaling that I know of. Full of great exercises and advice from a pro. Can't say enough.
Allie Robbins
Great how to book...I'm having a blast trying out the techniques and creating a beautiful visual journal.
Carmen
Not really my style of journaling, but a lot of interesting information
Linda
such a beautiful inspiring book
Elisabeth
I want to create beautiful journals!
Bgordonsgirl
Both inspiration and how-to.
Skylar
Skylar marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Emm Roy
Emm Roy marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Larissa Rufato
Larissa Rufato marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
ELLEN HAJI-PAVLOU
ELLEN HAJI-PAVLOU marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Cedes132001
Cedes132001 marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Jessika
Jessika marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Lora Dudding
Lora Dudding marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Alaa
Alaa marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
  • Alphabetica: An A-Z Creativity Guide for Collage and Book Artists
  • A Trail Through Leaves: The Journal as a Path to Place
  • Cover to Cover: Creative Techniques for Making Beautiful Books, Journals & Albums
  • Visual Chronicles: The No-Fear Guide to Creating Art Journals, Creative Manifestos & Altered Books
  • Good Mail Day: A Primer for Making Eye-Popping Postal Art
  • Art Journals and Creative Healing: Restoring the Spirit Through Self-Expression
  • True Vision: Authentic Art Journaling
  • Kaleidoscope: Projects and Ideas to Spark Your Creativity
  • The Journal Junkies Workshop: Visual Ammunition for the Art Addict
  • Altered Art: Techniques for Creating Altered Books, Boxes, Cards & More
  • Collage Discovery Workshop: Beyond the Unexpected--New Techniques Using Color, Personal Imagery and Creative Surfaces
  • The Complete Guide to Altered Imagery: Mixed-Media Techniques for Collage, Altered Books, Artist Journals, and More
  • The True and the Questions: A Journal
  • 1000 Journals Project
  • Artist Trading Cards Workshop: Create. Collect. Swap.
  • The Art Journal Workshop: Break Through, Explore, and Make it Your Own
  • Altered Curiosities: Assemblage Techniques & Projects
  • Pretty Little Things: Collage Jewelry, Keepsakes, Trinkets
The Decorated Page: Journals, Scrapbooks & Albums Made Simply Beautiful Live & Learn: Real Life Journals: Designing & Using Handmade Books The Complete Decorated Journal: A Compendium of Journaling Techniques Making Books That Fly, Fold, Wrap, Hide, Pop Up, Twist, And Turn: Books for Kids to Make Nature Crafts for Kids