Start by marking “The Decorated Journal: Creating Beautifully Expressive Journal Pages” as Want to Read:
The Decorated Journal: Creating Beautifully Expressive Journal Pages

The Decorated Journal: Creating Beautifully Expressive Journal Pages

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  580 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
This follow-up to the highly popular Decorated Page offers even more great ideas for beautifying a journal, more breathtaking photos to inspire, and more smart (and simple) ways to endow even the artistically timid with confidence. It simply brims with suggestions and instructions. Find out about the wealth of contemporary supplies, from papers and adhesives to paints, pen ...more
Published June 1st 2005 by Lark Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Decorated Journal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Decorated Journal

Chris
Very good book about art journaling, covering everything from choosing materials and blank books to types of journals people keep to prompts and journaling ideas to instructions for binding your own journals. Recommended. I got this from the library, but a used copy of my very own is already on its way from Thrift Books. :)
bookyeti
Nov 03, 2008 bookyeti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, reviewed, reference
comprehensive and enjoyable workshop in a book

The Decorated Journal attests that Gwen Diehn, not only competent at binding and embellishing beautiful books, also finds her niche in writing them. From the first page onward, it is evident that Diehn, who teaches journal-creation itself as an art form, takes great pride in sharing the details of her creative knowledge and experience, as much as she enjoys putting them to use.

In this inspiring companion to her previous book, The Decorated Page, Dieh
Carla
Sep 12, 2014 Carla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is what I would consider a classic antidote for a constant round of books that are full of the authors' prompts to do it their way. How many faces with soulful eyes turned upward and teeny pointy chins surrounded with white printing on colored grounds do I want to see?

Diehn opens a pathway that is pretty clear of all that drivel and provides a path to exploration that steers clear of cloying and copying. There's plenty to encourage investigation of our own way through self-expression. After
Brittany
Sep 20, 2012 Brittany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brittany by: Karen
I liked this one even more than Gwen Diehn's other book about journaling: The Decorated Page: Journals, Scrapbooks & Albums Made Simply Beautiful. Some of the information overlapped, but this was more practical for my purposes. She's goes into detail about ink, paint, glue, paper, book binding, journal types and inspiration, drawing techniques, etc. I love looking at the pictures of other art journals.
Ruth Hapeta
Sep 04, 2015 Ruth Hapeta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book, inspirational ideas
Kristina
This is for people who have nothing to do all day long...
Darby
Aug 15, 2008 Darby rated it liked it
This book is not an exact step by step book but it does give some how-to's and suggestions on way to make a decorated journal. The examples are truly beautiful and creative. This book does focus on paint more then any other material though. And although I am more collage oriented when making journals the book did give me a lot of inspiration and desire to paint in a journal.
Rebecca
Good visual resource for journalling, sketchbooks and creating in general
Mycala
Apr 02, 2008 Mycala rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another for my keeper bookshelf. While it's not as heavy on the artwork as some art journal books, there are a lot of fantastic prompts and ideas in here.
Lise Audet
Jan 14, 2013 Lise Audet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful journal inspirations. I love using watercolour as a medium especially with children. I enjoyed the section on Journaling with children.
Jill Berry
Apr 22, 2010 Jill Berry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is the best book on journaling that I know of. Full of great exercises and advice from a pro. Can't say enough.
Allie Robbins
May 01, 2012 Allie Robbins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: educational
Great how to book...I'm having a blast trying out the techniques and creating a beautiful visual journal.
Carmen
Apr 12, 2013 Carmen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not really my style of journaling, but a lot of interesting information
Linda
Mar 21, 2009 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: craft-and-art
such a beautiful inspiring book
Elisabeth
Jan 25, 2011 Elisabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I want to create beautiful journals!
Bgordonsgirl
Oct 16, 2008 Bgordonsgirl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Both inspiration and how-to.
Peg
Peg marked it as to-read
Caroline Drogin
Caroline Drogin marked it as to-read
Jan
Jan added it
Edie Ramsdell
Edie Ramsdell rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2016
Jenn
Jenn rated it it was ok
Jul 26, 2016
Rajasekar Rajasekar
Rajasekar Rajasekar rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Natalie Matos
Natalie Matos rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2016
Morgan
Morgan marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Cassandra
Cassandra marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Mayada
Mayada marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Mary-alice Michaels
Mary-alice Michaels marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Mary Holdgrafer
Mary Holdgrafer marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Benita
Benita marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Ahmad Alansarihm
Ahmad Alansarihm rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2016
  • Alphabetica: An A-Z Creativity Guide for Collage and Book Artists
  • A Trail Through Leaves: The Journal as a Path to Place
  • Cover to Cover: Creative Techniques for Making Beautiful Books, Journals & Albums
  • Visual Chronicles: The No-Fear Guide to Creating Art Journals, Creative Manifestos & Altered Books
  • True Vision: Authentic Art Journaling
  • Collage Discovery Workshop: Beyond the Unexpected--New Techniques Using Color, Personal Imagery and Creative Surfaces
  • Kaleidoscope: Projects and Ideas to Spark Your Creativity
  • The True and the Questions: A Journal
  • Good Mail Day: A Primer for Making Eye-Popping Postal Art
  • Art Journals and Creative Healing: Restoring the Spirit Through Self-Expression
  • Altered Art: Techniques for Creating Altered Books, Boxes, Cards & More
  • The Journal Junkies Workshop: Visual Ammunition for the Art Addict
  • Artist Trading Cards Workshop: Create. Collect. Swap.
  • Pretty Little Things: Collage Jewelry, Keepsakes, Trinkets
  • 1000 Journals Project
  • The Complete Guide to Altered Imagery: Mixed-Media Techniques for Collage, Altered Books, Artist Journals, and More
  • The Art Journal Workshop: Break Through, Explore, and Make it Your Own