Shadowdance

Shadowdance

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  208 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Paralyzed since birth, a young man named Innowen happens upon a sorceress along the road. She grants him the ability to walk, but there are two conditions: he can only walk between dusk and dawn and, to keep this ability to walk, he must dance each night. What at first seems harmless comes with a sinister price. Anyone who witnesses Innowen'­s dance is soon compelled to ac...more
Published December 12th 1991 by White Wolf Games Studio

Amanda
Innowen is cursed. And blessed. And cursed.

Born crippled, one night his life is changed forever when his caretaker is bitten by a snake. The beautiful witch who comes to his calls for help not only saves his caretaker's life, but gives Innowen back the use of his legs, for a price. Every night he can walk -- but he must dance. Once the sun rises, his legs are useless once again.

But worse; if anyone sees Innowen dance, they are forced to enact their deepest, darkest desire. And that leads to trem...more
Eve
I think I would have given this 4 stars if it had been half its length. Although this was very well written, and the idea of this story is fantistic, for me there was just not enough story to carry almost a thousand pages (on the epub version on nook). So, I got some enjoyment out of this book, but I guess my feeling is that for the amount of reading time I invested, I wanted a lot more enjoyment.

Innowen grew up crippled below the waist and in the primitive society he lives in, there are no whee...more
Furio
I have mixed impressions on this most peculiar book: the five-star rating is a homage to the writer's skill and originality.

Set in a pre-historical, probably mycenaean, Greece -a hypothesis supported by garments' descriptions, warfares' strategies and proper names-, this book stands out from the many historical novels available because of the supernatural touch in it.
The plot is not particularly interesting in itself: the main character, a crippled boy healed by a mysterious witch, is on a quest...more
Andune
Shadowdance captivated me from the first paragraph of the book. The writing in this novel is exceptionally fluid and sensual (which I found quite compelling) and the descriptions are rich and innovative. At the same time I liked the air of darkness and mystery surrounding the story.

The story itself is a unique perspective from a crippled boy, Innowen, whom acquires the ability to walk and dance at night through the strange and malevolent workings of a woman known as a fearful witch. No gift as g...more
A.L. Davroe
This book wasn't quite what I expected, but I still enjoyed it. It had some squicky bits that I had to challenge myself to continue with (rape, incest, homo-erotic undertones) Clarification: I'm not against gay content, I'm just not used to reading it yet and when I picked up the book, I didn't realize it would have homosexual undertones so it kind of surprised me. That's more of a reflection on the fact that more books like this one need to exist. Anyway, besides the aspects that made me uncomf...more
Aynaarah
Terrible misleading - dance the world away...

Magical, promising, wish upon a whispering stone.. begging for help Innowen "saw the narrow road stretching before him and the trees on either side that loomed like mighty soldiers of an era before the Age of Man."

.. that must have been the Age of Demons, a never ending lesson about their kind.. and if the main purpose was to emphasize that deals with demons can't turn otherwise but sour.. the book deserves a better rating..

But aside the glorious begi...more
Azalea Moone
This was a random book find on the local Goodwill shelves, and I am happy to have picked it out. The author's writing, and Innowen's journey, is wonderfully breathtaking. Though there are some triggery events not for the faint of heart: (view spoiler) those really add to Innowen's challenge.
I didn't expect to be swept away by a slow growing gay romance, since the story's focus is more on plot and the MC, but by the end of the book, I was seriously wishing the autho...more
Sumayyah
Innowen, dragging himself through town to find someone to save his guardian, has a meeting with a Witch that changes the course of his life. She saves his guardian from a deathly snakebite, and asks her God to heal him and let him walk. Innowen does gain the ability to walk - but only at night, and he must also dance. The terrible catch is that whomever sees him dance will act out their darkest desire.

Transitions could have been smoother, and more detailed back story on some of the characters w...more
Virginia
Creepy, disturbing, and engrossing is this fantastical look into the dark side of human nature. The characters in this book are great, but not one of them has much in the way of redeeming qualities, but you see your own foibles in them and realize how easy it is would be to fall given power or challenged with a disability. Its also a fantasy-laden treatise on lust and love and how these intertwine with power. Nice twists at the end in regard to who you think the bad guys/good guys are and about...more
Golddragon
Hard to find, but truly a gem. The setting was surprising, ancient greek/rome style with a fantasy twist; a violent, gritty world, where the whims of gods and witches are the rule and mortal creatures would do better not to attract their attention. There is passion, and imagery that tends to linger long after the book is read; the main revelation is rather anticipated, but what the main character uses it for makes keeping up with the story worth it. There could have been more between the lead (g...more
Shamela
Good Iron Age-ish fantasy read. Not a whole lot of action, lots of introspection, but the sparse bit of magic that informs the main character's choices provides enough reason for that introspection, and his attempts at self-knowledge and discovery. The M/M relationship is handled very thoughtfully. A bit on the explicit side, and a couple of the "action" scenes inspired a surprised but amused "...What, now?" from me. (Mind you, those are NOT the M/M scenes.)
Adriennne
not finished, actually. but it was so boring i quit like halfway through
Neida
I rediscovered this book after many years and was excited to find out that it was just as enjoyable the second time around. It's a fun fantasy story with a dash of mystery. Razkili is a great character. Innowen got on my nerves at times but by the end you can't help but like him as well. The world building is decent and the consequences of magic original. Good book all around.
Dancce
What a wonderful idea for a book, a wonderful, original, haunting concept. Only the execution fell a little short of the novel's potential. It was... boring, at times. Something was simply missing. What a pity. Truly.
Alexandra
Shadowdance was a bit of a challenge to read. Innowen's cursed dancing read hokey, but thought it would translate nicely to screen or stage. Not recommended for those triggered by rape or incest.
Jeremy
This book is absolutely amazing. It has the great parts of all good novels, and Robin Wayne Bailey isn't afraid to go places most authors wouldn't. I was VERY Impressed with this book.
Jess
This just wasn't what I felt like reading at the time. Lots of navel-gazing and not enough action or dialogue. Stopped reading it around 10% through.
Cmfish
Excellent dark fairytale. I'd not been a huge fan of the author's style prior to this, but this is an amazing story.
Megan Kovach
I got completely lost in this book. It is one of my favorites!
Arlene
Wonderful fantasy
Terra
Jul 24, 2012 Terra rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
1.5 stars.
Mountainroot
Mountainroot marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Carlos
Carlos marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Tracy
Tracy is currently reading it
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
J.S. Collyer
J.S. Collyer marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Sagajo
Sagajo marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Kiki
Kiki marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Katie Miller
Katie Miller marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
  • Kirith Kirin
  • Tower of the King's Daughter (Outremer, #1)
  • Stasis
  • The Merro Tree
  • The Standing Dead
  • The Fire's Stone
  • Turnskin
  • The Virtu (Doctrine of Labyrinths, #2)
  • Arabesque
  • The Stone Prince (Branion, #1)
  • The Shades of Time and Memory (Wraeththu Histories, #2)
  • The Still (Rodrigo of Caledon, #1)
  • Lord of the White Hell (Lord of the White Hell, #2)
  • Glimpses: A Collection of Nightrunner Short Stories
  • Tiger and the Raven
  • The Sallee Rovers (Pirates of the Narrow Seas, #1)
  • The Archer's Heart
  • The God Eaters
Robin Wayne Bailey is an American fantasy and science fiction author and is a past president (2005-2007) of SFWA, the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America. Robin also served as SFWA's South-Central Regional Director for nine years and has hosted three of SFWA's annual Nebula Awards weekends; two of those Nebula events were held in his home town of Kansas City, Missouri.

Bailey was one of...more
More about Robin Wayne Bailey...
The Lake of Fire (Philip José Farmer's The Dungeon, #4) Swords Against the Shadowlands Brothers of the Dragon (Brothers of the Dragon, #1) Dragonkin, Book 1: Wyvernwood (Dragonkin, #1) Flames of the Dragon (Brothers of the Dragon, #2)

“There are no mistakes in life" he answered. "Just lessons. Make sure you learn from this one.” 2 likes