Start by marking “It Seemed Important at the Time: A Romance Memoir” as Want to Read:
It Seemed Important at the Time: A Romance Memoir

It Seemed Important at the Time: A Romance Memoir

3.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  265 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
An elegant, witty, frank, touching, and deeply personal account of the loves both great and fleeting in the life of one of America's most celebrated and fabled women.
Born to great wealth yet kept a virtual prisoner by the custody battle that raged between her proper aunt and her self-absorbed, beautiful mother, Gloria Vanderbilt grew up in a special world. Stunningly bea
Published September 9th 2008 by Simon & Schuster (first published September 28th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about It Seemed Important at the Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It Seemed Important at the Time

Ozma
Feb 15, 2009 Ozma rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was expecting/hoping for a thoughtful memoir dotted with well-chosen gossip and romantic memories of old Hollywood and some stories about Vanderbilt's jean designing. Now, nothing against Gloria, whom I'm sure is a lovely lady, and I do love her son, Anderson Cooper, but this book was not fun to read. I think Gloria thought that telling us about all the sex she had would be charming, but it's kind of icky. Gloria is the unsung Wilt Chamberlain of American women. I would wonder if she had ever ...more
Wanda
The subtitle for book is "A Romance Memoir" so I expected to read about Gloria Vanderbilt's romances throughout her life. What I did not expect was such a disorganized, disjointed account of those romances. When I first started reading, I thought it was written similar to how we remember our past -- short clips, some vividly, some vague. But the more I read, the more I felt there was no organization, forethought, or editing put into this memoir at all. The photos have no labels and bounce from c ...more
Rebecca
May 27, 2008 Rebecca rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was entirely disappointed with this portion of Gloria’s memoirs. It offered no real depth of her or of the men in her life, it was more of an overview. I walked away feeling as though she really didn’t shared anything about her true self with the reader; it read more as a list of conquests.
Emily
it is really hard for me to give a book 1 star, but this book just missed the mark. Writing style is not for my taste as she constantly takes readers out of the story to ask them a question. It's annoying, don't YOU think? While this was supposed to be a romantic essey, I thought she came off more whore-y than anything else. Talking endlessly about her love-ahs including men that were married, and in her youth some curious girls. Mostly I just thought is she out of her MIND to think that most wo ...more
Laren
Mar 05, 2010 Laren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs
Gloria Vanderbilt has penned several memoirs. This one focuses on her romances, both traditional (husbands, boyfriends) and non-traditional (yearning for her mother's love, her son who committed suicide). The title comes from her revelation that many of the missteps she made turned out not to be as important upon reflection as they seemed at the time.

The book is very short, largely providing only a general snapshot of each love and some insights she gained about herself and them along the way.
Júlia Trličová
Jun 04, 2013 Júlia Trličová rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"He was the Nijinsky of cunnilingus". That statement alone sums up the tone of the whole memoir and how it was written by a woman and a lady at the same time. Unlike the rest of her memoirs, this one is focused specifically on her romance life. I loved the leitmotif of decisions seeming to lose importance in hindsight.
The writing was witty and charming but felt somewhat disorganized, and I still can't decide if the book just accurately reflects the fuzziness and non-chronological way that memori
Darlene Payne
Very flighty book. Ms Vanderbilt writes about love as if she were a 15 year old girl instead of an almost 80 year old woman, which she was when this book was written. This book is just about her love affairs, so anyone wanting to know more about Ms Vanderbilt should read one of her other books.
Michelle Rahn
something I've learned from reading about celebrities is you have to be famous and rich to get away with sleeping around. good on gloria you go on with your bad self.
Emilyf11
interesting and heartfelt at times
Brett
Aug 18, 2013 Brett rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The tagline "A Romance Memoir" is a touch deceiving. It's more akin to a list of people Ms. Vanderbilt has slept with throughout her life. I thought this would have been a great tale of a few relationships and how they formed her into the person she has become with some Hollywood flair in for good measure. What it ended up being is an almost bulleted list of people she had sex with at one point in her life or another with little narrative thread other than her getting older.
Pooch
Apr 20, 2008 Pooch rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An odd, little book. A "romantic memoir". Reads like listening to someone talking into a recording machine. Very much a romantic view of the lives of the extremely wealthy. Voyeuristic, yet odd somehow in its narrowness, its undeveloped stories. Why did she write this? Then there's a touching section about the deaths of a son, a husband. Almost has depth but not enough. There's a certain thinness in the material.
Andrea
May 24, 2011 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
Gloria Vanderbilt is not shy. She's like a grandma who has been sowing her wild oats for a lifetime ---and is all too eager to share the juicy details. This woman has been around the block! The best part is she had friends like Truman Capote, Marilyn Monroe, and lovers like Frank Sinatra, Marlon Brando, and Sidney Lumet! Her prose is over the top and fun. Very readable.
Mar 13, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good gossipy quick read. This is exactly what a celeb biography should be - short, light on the life lessons with little preachiness and some real revelations. She talks about growing up Vanderbilt and the rumors of her mother being a lesbian to dating Howard Hughes (before he started peeing in cups and went insane), and even about her son killing himself.
Rebecca
Aug 29, 2009 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This memoir is so honest I kept finding myself shocked that I would get to read something so personal. I was left admiring a woman I barely knew anything of prior to reading this book. I loved her writing style as well as the book concept. The title is brilliant and sums up the concept perfectly. If only every famous women would write such a book.
Alaine
Nov 14, 2014 Alaine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an extremely quick read, just a few hours. There could have been more dirt, but I guess Gloria took the high road.
Karla
Oct 02, 2011 Karla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found the book difficult to follow but many of the stories were interesting. She romanced several famous men and still believes in love. The one and only sustaining relationship was with writer Wyatt Cooper (father of Anderson Cooper). He died suddenly from a heart attack at the age of 50 and left her with two sons to raise.
Kailey
Mar 12, 2012 Kailey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, 2012
This book was with it's flaws, that's for sure, but overall I felt like it was a light, fluffy read, and appreciated Gloria's refreshing honesty. It's upsetting that so many people have rated this book low simply because they have decided she is an evil ~~slut~~!!!
Susanne Hake
Jun 14, 2012 Susanne Hake rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wunderbar. Great Titel, Great Memoir. I Envy her. I want to have J.c.oates as a Coach too! The Book is Great Inspiration and educational . Every Woman should read it before her 16 th Birthday. Or at least 21.
I totally recommend this honest and sensual book.
Vanessa Tamas
Aug 16, 2009 Vanessa Tamas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A quick and juicy read through a difficult life seen through the dirty lens of love told with unapologetic honesty, wit and courage sprinkled with the recognizable names of actors, authors, artists and writers of the century. Love her.
Laura Lee
Jul 11, 2012 Laura Lee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Was a little too cryptic in some parts, but enjoyed the read and pictures. More like 21/2 stars. BTW, for those who don't know, this is Anderson Cooper's mom. She led a pretty free spirit life.
Jun 21, 2009 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
She had so many whirlwind romances with so many famous people. Could have been a really good summer read, but the writing style is pretty poor. Interesting content, but bland read.
Evelyn
Feb 21, 2012 Evelyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A romance memoir, wow who knew how many lovers Gloria Vanderbilt had! A surprise to me.
A quick easy read, lots of name dropping of Hollywood & Broadway stars, singers etc.
Marilyn K
Jan 05, 2016 Marilyn K rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
A fabulous book written by Gloria Vanderbilt; mother of Anderson Cooper. What a tough time she has had, but she keeps on living with grace.
Karina
Aug 02, 2012 Karina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book about all her romances. Interesting tidbit found out that Breakfast at Tiffany's was kind of based on Gloria Vanderbilt.
Robyn
Jun 30, 2012 Robyn rated it it was ok
Disappointed. Hints of a good story here and there. Really poorly edited and towards the end I was rushing to finish.

Jasmine
This book was pretty good.Honestly I picked up this book to see if Ms.Vanderbilt did the deed with Marlon Brando.Mmmmmmmmm,Marlon Brando.
Mandy
Mar 02, 2010 Mandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I may not be a glamourous star, but at least I have *never* slept with Roald Dahl (which is apparently "like a dry lemon")
Dennis Wood
It was a bit of a who's who of the era, and not much depth nor insight into the person we were supposed to understand.
C Haughney
A quick read. Sweet and interesting, especially if the rich and famous fascinate you. They fascinate me.
Stella
Jul 19, 2013 Stella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Entertaining and moving, Vanderbilt has lived an extraordinary life with much courage and grit.
  • The World of Gloria Vanderbilt
  • My Story
  • Jealousy: The Other Life of Catherine M.
  • Cracked : Putting Broken Lives Together Again
  • Blood Matters: A Journey Along the Genetic Frontier
  • Blown for Good: Behind the Iron Curtain of Scientology
  • Harlem: The Four Hundred Year History from Dutch Village to Capital of Black America
  • American Foreign Policy Since World War II
  • Half in Love: Surviving the Legacy of Suicide
  • Martha Inc.: The Incredible Story of Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia
  • Why Not Say What Happened?: A Memoir
  • Lieutenant Nun: Memoir of a Basque Transvestite in the New World
  • Little Billy's Letters: An Incorrigible Inner Child's Correspondence with the Famous, Infamous, and Just Plain Bewildered
  • The Character of Cats: The Origins, Intelligence, Behavior, and Stratagems of Felis silvestris catus
  • Fame Junkies: The Hidden Truths Behind America's Favorite Addiction
  • The Secret Pulse of Time: Making Sense of Life's Scarcest Commodity
  • A Twist Of Lennon
  • At Home with the Marquis de Sade: A Life
Gloria Vanderbilt is the author of four memoirs and two novels. She contributes to various publications, including The New York Times, Vanity Fair, and Elle, and has received two honorary Doctorates of Fine Arts. She lives in New York City.
More about Gloria Vanderbilt...

“I've always believed that one woman's success can only help another woman's success.” 8 likes