Shakespeare And Co.: Christopher Marlowe, Thomas Dekker, Ben Johnson, Thomas Middleton, John Fletcher And The Other Players In His Story

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  139 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Paperback. Pub date: 08 May 2007 Pages: 304 Publisher: Penguin Enjoyable lively ... such a pleasure to read ... renders the Drama of Shakespeare's contemporaries more than fringe entertainment '- Independent Shakespeare is one of the greatest of all English figures. considered a genius for all time. Yet as this enthralling book shows. he was at heart a man of the theatre....more
Hardcover
Published August 3rd 2006 by Allen Lane

The Good Soldier Švejk by Jaroslav HašekThe Old Curiosity Shop by Charles DickensThe Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar WildeWit and Wisdom by Oscar WildeThe Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
Walking Sticks and Shillelaghs
21st out of 22 books — 2 voters
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenDivergent by Veronica RothThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingCatching Fire by Suzanne Collins
Six Stars
446th out of 1,022 books — 586 voters

More lists with this book...

Wendy
Jan 02, 2008 Wendy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with even a passing interest in Shakespeare
Shelves: history, drama, lit-crit
This is an engaging overview of Shakespeare's relationships with his contemporaries. I particularly enjoyed the chapter on how Shakespeare might have been influenced by the skills and personalities of the actors he wrote for, as well as various discussions of Shakespeare's collaborations. I had no idea that Shakespeare had collaborated with other writers on Pericles, Timon of Athens, and Measure for Measure, among other works. Nor did I know that the text of Macbeth as we now have it probably co...more
Emily
This book taught me more about Shakespeare than almost anything else I've read in the last few years. It answered my questions about the little eyases in Hamlet and the boy companies that were popular at the time. It gave me a profoundly vivid picture of what it was like in the world of theatre at the time. I loved getting a sense of the landscape of the Shakespearean theatre community. Because of COURSE it was a community. It was THEATRE. That is what we do. We run around in communities. Hating...more
Julia
Very helpful introduction to the theatrical milieu of Shakespeare.
Ed
Stanley Wells knocks everyone off his pedestal in this linked collection of articles and shows us how the competitive cut and thrust of the burgeoning theater business was carried out. It is a welcome summing up of some of his work over the past several decades in which he has had a very successful career as a Shakespeare scholar. He has written a lot, been honored by the great and the good in the Shakespeare biz and has edited TWO collected works. There is nothing terribly new here--he is of th...more
Eric
Jan 29, 2013 Eric rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in English Renaissance drama
A short, but interesting book on the many often-unheralded writers who languish today in the shadows of William Shakespeare, but who in the English Renaissance were often no less prominent for their dramatic writing. Anyone interested in the writing of the period would do well to investigate such writers as Marlowe and Jonson, and this book is an interesting place to start, from both a biographical and literary viewpoint.
Mark Gibbs
Excellent overview of the work of The Bard's comtemporaries - The Most detailed are - of course Ben Jonson and Kit Marlowe - a wonderful introduction to the wider context and influence of Elizabethan and Jacobean Drama - the only bad point is that I wanted a little more critiscism of the works of the playwrights under discussion - but an excellent overview nonetheless - enjoy!
Annett
An interesting read about Shakespeare and his contemporaries even though it is sometimes far too detailed when it comes to the various plays. Stanley Wells, however, manages to create an atmosphere that makes Shakespeare's times move a little bit closer and the dealings of his days more understandable while not even starting to discuss the author question.
Lauren Albert
I enjoyed this at the beginning when Wells stuck to describing the theatrical milieu. When he started evaluating possibilities for co-authorship with Shakespeare, I started skimming. I didn't want to learn more about Shakespeare; I wanted to learn more about the theater and its people during his period.
Deb
A long slog. The author seems to disapprove of Shakespeare's setting most of his plays in far-off times and places (except for the histories, of course) but that is why most of Shakespeare is still moderately intelligible today, and most plays of the others are not.
Catie Hewitt
Smart and wonderful! It's so great to read about Shakespeare through the people who were his peers instead of just a dry listing of facts. Wells is a talented writer and worked all of these fellows into real human beings instead of just names.
Jenn
The style was a bit pompous, but the information great. Surprisingly compelling reading. I especially enjoyed the source document excerpts at the end. Wish all this knowledge could have formed part of my Shakespeare courses in college.
Ed
Jun 11, 2008 Ed rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Elizabethans, those seeking historicity, those who trod the boards
Shelves: shakespeariana
This book was a learning experience because Shakespeare is so center stage in the Elizabethan era that his contemporaries are often meagre footnotes. This book provides them in career and social context.
JT
Expertly written study of both the well-known and lesser known of Shakespeare's collaborators which sheds light on how shared and nurturing playwriting was during England's theatrical golden age.
Kristine
Kristine marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Marguerite Barrett
Marguerite Barrett marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Steve Turtell
Steve Turtell is currently reading it
Jul 03, 2014
Veronica Williams
Veronica Williams marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Melita Thomas
Melita Thomas marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Tânia
Tânia marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Katie Banasiewicz
Katie Banasiewicz marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Neil
Neil marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Amy's Inkwell
Amy's Inkwell marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Sørina
Sørina marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
  • A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare: 1599
  • The Lodger Shakespeare: His Life on Silver Street
  • Shakespeare After All
  • The Shakespeare Wars: Clashing Scholars, Public Fiascoes, Palace Coups
  • Shakespeare's Kings: The Great Plays and the History of England in the Middle Ages: 1337-1485
  • Soul of the Age: A Biography of the Mind of William Shakespeare
  • The London Hanged: Crime And Civil Society In The Eighteenth Century
  • New Worlds, Lost Worlds: The Rule of the Tudors, 1485-1603
  • Renaissance Self-Fashioning: From More to Shakespeare
  • Who Murdered Chaucer?: A Medieval Mystery
Stanley William Wells, CBE, is a Shakespeare scholar and Chairman of the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust
More about Stanley W. Wells...
Shakespeare: For All Time Shakespeare, Sex, & Love Coffee with Shakespeare An Oxford Anthology of Shakespeare Looking for Sex in Shakespeare