Start by marking “Girl, Stolen” as Want to Read:
Girl, Stolen

Girl, Stolen (Girl, Stolen #1)

3.98  ·  Rating Details ·  12,448 Ratings  ·  1,778 Reviews
Sixteen year-old Cheyenne Wilder is sleeping in the back of a car while her mom fills her prescription at the pharmacy. Before Cheyenne realizes what's happening, their car is being stolen--with her inside! Griffin hadn’t meant to kidnap Cheyenne, all he needed to do was steal a car for the others. But once Griffin's dad finds out that Cheyenne’s father is the president of ...more
Published September 28th 2010 by Henry Holt and Co.

To ask other readers questions about Girl, Stolen, please sign up.

Jasmine Henderson I follow April Henry on Facebook, she is working on a sequel to Girl, Stolen. The Girl Who Was Suppose to Die is a great novel, but is not a sequel to…moreI follow April Henry on Facebook, she is working on a sequel to Girl, Stolen. The Girl Who Was Suppose to Die is a great novel, but is not a sequel to Girl, Stolen. (less)
Mia Ottaviano (DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVENT READ BOOK) Not completely understanding the question considering it sounds like you have completeled reading this book…more(DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVENT READ BOOK) Not completely understanding the question considering it sounds like you have completeled reading this book but...yes, his mom is dead. Roy shoved her and she hit her head on the fireplace. He left her there, thinking he was teaching her a lesson and when he came back, she was cold out dead. TJ and Jimbo buried her in the backyard. (less)

Morgan F
I read Girl, Stolen because some bastard at my library stole Stolen: A letter to my captor (yes, the irony is not lost on me). I figured Girl, Stolen, a book of similar premise and title, would have to do.

Sixteen-year-old Cheyenne Wilder, blind and sick with pneumonia, is napping in the back seat of her step-mother's Escalade when someone gets in the car and drives away. Griffin, the car thief, just reacted when he saw the keys in the ignition, not noticing the girl in the backseat until it was
Aug 20, 2016 Cara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From the get go we know what we are going to get. Cheyenne is blind and is accidentally kidnapped by a young man named Griffin. Unbeknowst to him she is in the Escalade, and he is in a world of trouble to say the least. At first he just doesn't have any idea what to do with her, but his dad finds out that she is the daughter of a CEO, and a CEO for Nike at that. Cheyenne knows she has the disadvantage here. She's blind and sick with pneumonia; she is not in top fighting shape. Can she dare hope ...more
Jubilation Lee
There's a reason, friends, that we're given book cover flaps to read prior to starting the actual novel. The flap serves as kind of an appetizer -- a precursor to the main event, if you will. Which is why I should have actually READ the flap of Girl, Stolen, instead of being lured in by the awesome cover. It would have warned me of the utter Meh I was soon to be taking part in.

No, for realsies. Here's a direct quote: "How will Cheyenne survive this nightmare because she's not only sick with pneu
Aik Chien 인첸
As you can read from the synopsis, the protagonist Cheyenne is sick and blind. But her bad luck doesn't end there. When her stepmother, Danielle drives her to a pharmacy to get medicine supplies, she asks her to leave the key in the ignition to keep her warm. Then, when someone enters the car, she realizes from the person's micro-behaviours that he/she is definitely not Danielle. That's when reality hits - her car is stolen, and worse, she's inside it!

This book is different from other books whic
Deborah Markus
A strong, compelling read. Henry's prose is clean and uncluttered -- she has faith in her story and she just plain tells it.

We learn on page 3 that the main character is blind. We also learn that she's being kidnapped in a car-theft gone bad. I was very skeptical when I realized this was the premise. Seriously, do all blind characters have to be gorgeous young women? (I've ranted about that in other reviews.)

But Henry manages, seemingly without trying, to make Cheyenne not "the blind girl," but
Eva Leger
Jul 01, 2010 Eva Leger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: b-fiction, y-a
The YA genre has not stopped surprising me. Everytime I crack a YA book I have a fear deep down inside that it'll be so childish I'll cringe. While there certainly have been a few like that most are not and this falls in the latter category.
Henry's biggest feat here, in my opinion, is Cheyenne's blindess. Everything that she went through is suspenseful. Add in blindness and it throws it all right through the roof. I kept think, in almost every single situation, how scared I'd be if it was me. A
Jenn, Reader of Things
Sep 02, 2013 Jenn, Reader of Things rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who enjoy thought-provoking suspense, people who need something to write a book report on.
Recommended to Jenn, Reader of Things by: No one. I'm all about feminism and being independant.

"Sometimes people did this, closed their eyes for a few seconds and imagined it gave them insights into what it was like to be her. Only, at the end, they could still open their eyes and see."

****3 stars****

Girl, Stolen is the story of Cheyenne, a blind 16-year-old who is accidentally kidnapped while her car is being stolen, and Griffin, the teen kidnapper from the wrong side of town.

I've never read a book told from a blind person's perspective, and even though this is written in third-person,
Apr 21, 2011 Valerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Valerie by: Cara
A book about a blind girl who gets kidnapped. Well that sounds good to me. The girl's name is Cheyenne and her kidnapper is a boy named Griffin. He didn't kidnap her on purpose but still it creates a problem.

The book is in both Cheyenne's point of view as well as Griffin's. When I was reading Cheyenne's point of view I was very aware of it; it felt like I was seeing the way she would picture it in her head. When I was reading Griffin's it was the same.

Cheyenne seems like a real girl. She gets sc
Allison (The Allure of Books)
Hmm. I wasn't sure what I'd be getting when I picked this up to read. A blind girl kidnapped? How would that plot unfold? How would the characters interact? Could the author pull such difficult circumstances off?

Well, in some ways April Henry excelled, but in others? Not so much.

The plot was engaging and constantly moved forward. I think the circumstances were very realistic and believable, and the back-and-forth between Griffin and Cheyenne was quite intriguing.

However, as far as the characters
Maysoon K
Girl, Stolen by April Henry!
Hmm... What to say about this book?
Let's start off with the base of the book. It's about a girl, she's blind, and she gets kidnapped 'accidently', I guess you could say. Once the kidnappers find out they took a girl with them, she don't know what to do. She's heard too much of their plan, and the girl is the daughter of a very rich man. The boy that kidnapped her by accident ends up, in a way, getting attracted to her. And he helps save her life and all. I won't tell
Jaime Leigh
Notes:YALSA Best Fiction for Young Adults and YALSA Quick Pick
April Henry is a New York Times Best Seller

Overview (Non Spoilery Section)
This has been sitting on my self for a while and I needed a physical book to read during exams. It was just a middle of the road kidnapping novel, although I very much enjoyed the main character being blind. I also appreciated the amount of research that April Henry did during the development and writing process.

***Spoilers*** and trigger listings
I really enjoy
Dec 21, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4 1/2 stars. Wow this book was really good I didn't expect it to enjoy it this much I thought it would just be more the fun read it but it turned out to be great page turner.

The twisting the story were amazing Cheyenne is intelligent and she's very cunning and brave and strong and independent and I loved everything about her.

And I love to hate the bad guys and story they we're brutal and actually bad bad-guys.

A lot of unexpected things happened in this book and I loved every part of it.

It's on
Jan 21, 2013 Angelica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: asdfghjkl
Name of book: Girl, Stolen

Author: April Henry

Pages: 213 pages

Genre: Mystery and Suspense

Reading Level of book: 4.7

Exposition: The novel started when Cheyenne's step mom stepped out of the car to go in the pharmacy store to fill in Cheyenne's prescriptions. Cheyenne was taking a nap in the back of the car. A boy who's in a 'business' with his dad decided to steal the step mom's car. The thing was, he didn't know that Cheyenne was also in the car. It wasn't his intentions to kidnap her, his only i
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
In reading Girl, Stolen, I was reminded of two bits of pop culture: Excess Baggage and Wait Until Dark. The first film, a pretty terrible movie starring Alicia Silverstone and Antonio Banderas, tells the story of a poor little rich girl who, in an effort to get daddy's attention, fakes a kidnapping by locking herself in a car's trunk, only to have that car actually stolen. Then she cooks up a romance and a scheme with her accidental captor. Wait Until Dark, quite differently focuses on a blind w ...more
A sick sixteen-year-old Cheyenne Wilder is napping in the backseat of her stepmother Danielle’s car. She’s waiting for Danielle to return with her medicine to help her get over her pneumonia, when suddenly someone gets into the driver’s seat and starts the car. Cheyenne knows this isn’t Danielle from the sound of the car door closing, to the smell, and the fast speed of the car Cheyenne quickly comes to the conclusion that she has been carjacked. Cheyenne has no choice to go along for the ride w ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Sally Kruger aka "Readingjunky" for

Cheyenne feels awful. She and her step-mother have just left the doctor's office where x-rays revealed that Cheyenne has pneumonia. Her step-mother leaves her resting in the running car while she heads into the store to pick up a prescription. It all seems simple, until a stranger slips into the front seat and steals the car.

As the car thief speeds out of the parking lot, a glance in the rear view mirror reveals he has a passenger,
When I first read the back of the this book I thought that it sounded super unique, therefore I was quite excited to read it, thinking it would be amazing. But (isn't there always a but?)... It just wasn't my cup of tea. I think that a lot of other YA readers will enjoy this book, I think that my biggest problem is that I think that currently I am very much loving YA paranormal and anything that isn't within that genre just kinda falls flat for me.

One pro of this book is that the characters are
Oct 23, 2011 Toneeshia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Girl, Stolen is a contemporary realistic fictional book intended for advanced aged children. It has won the American Library Association Best Books for Young Adults, American Library Association Quick Picks for Young Award, Maryland Black- Eyed Susan award Maser List, and others. Girl, Stolen is about a car thief named Griffin accidentally kidnapping blind 16- year old Cheyenne while she napped in her stepmother's Escalade. Griffin takes her to his home and soon before she is to be released by G ...more
Apr 14, 2015 Steph rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, reviewed
I received this book for free as a review copy from the Goodreads First Reads program. This in no way affected my opinion of the book.

I thoroughly enjoyed Girl, Stolen and read the bulk of it in one sitting. What initially drew me to the book was the cover art. I really like the symbolism of the little girl covering her eyes, most of us do it when afraid, but for the heroine of the story it is something she must live with every day as a blind person. Cheyenne does find herself in a terrifying s
Anna Motteler
Oct 06, 2010 Anna Motteler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone!
Recommended to Anna by: Eva (:
Shelves: favorites
(ARC sent to me by publisher!)

Imagine yourself being blind. Horrible enough, right? But then imagine yourself being BLIND and then being KIDNAPPED one day. How horrible is that? Well, in this book, Cheyenne Wilder has that problem and boy, is she strong. I fell in love with her instantly and I could literally not put this book down. I love, love, love it!

Her kidnapper didn't even mean to kidnap her. Weird, right? Well, all he wanted to do was take her step-moms car, but she was laying in the bac
"Girl, Stolen" had an exciting premise, but the book itself was disappointing. It lacked the tension and suspense it should have had. However, I liked Cheyenne's narration. She was a very relatable character, despite being blind, and her actions and reactions during her kidnapping were believable.

Even though I liked Cheyenne, my favourite character was Griffin. He was basically a good guy despite his horrible father and being raised into a life of crime. Even though he unintentionally kidnapped
Sylvere ap Leanan
"Girl, Stolen" is the third YA novel from New York Times best-selling author April Henry. Inspired by the 2005 carjacking of 18-year-old Heather Wilson, "Girl, Stolen" relates the story of the uneasy alliance that grows between Cheyenne and her accidental kidnapper, Griffin.

On the surface, 16-year-old Cheyenne seems like a typical adolescent girl: She loves dogs, books and chatting on the phone. She gets along with her stepmother most of the time and occasionally chafes under her father's over-p
Peep (Pop! Pop!)
I think this one had potential, in the end it just didn't work for me. It sounds like it would be interesting, right? A blind girl is kidnapped when her step-moms car is stolen. How crazy can get this story get?

I love how much I learned about the newly blind. I learned a lot about how it is to adjust and a little about how it is for people who have been blind longer. And what it's like to walk with a stick. The other day I was at the mall, and a lady accidentally walked into me with her stick.
Man, talk about suspense. I love books that take places in a VERY short time span when they have a really really good sense of tension. April Henry knows what she's doing, tension-wise. This book begins in mid-action, and just never lets up.

I really think the most important aspect of a thriller is the characters. If a character is in danger and you don't know them at all, or care about them in any way, why would you care if something bad happens to them? This book did not suffer from that proble
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
3.0 Stars

This is a super fast-paced read. With short chapters, told in alternating perspective, this novel is designed to be a real page turner. As someone fascinated by kidnapping stories, I burned through the story in just a few hours. As for the story itself, it was engaging, but ultimately forgettable. The characters were decent, but the book was too short for allow for enough development. Not a bad young adult novel, but not one I would necessarily recommend to adult readers.
Jamie Oberheu
Feb 28, 2015 Jamie Oberheu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked how quickly it jumped into the problem. It didn't take forever to build up to the kidnapping. The ending was also eventful if maybe a little bit stretched with reality...
Kristina Phillips
Nov 13, 2013 Kristina Phillips rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! It has a lot of twists and turns, which really makes it fun. Has a lot of suspense too. U should like it if you like mystery. :)
Angus Vickers
Feb 09, 2015 Angus Vickers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book, don't know how hard it would be for the writer to write about a blind girl, it would be difficult for me
Natalie Overbeck
It was a really good book that had a happy ending but I wish it ended a little differently....
Apr 18, 2011 Nely rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
From the moment I read what this book was about I just knew that I would have to read it.

Sixteen year old Cheyenne Wilder is sleeping in the back of her stepmother's car when a young man opens the door and takes off with the car with her in it. Griffin did not mean to kidnap Cheyenne, he just wanted to steal the Cadillac Escalade she was in and impress his father. But when his father finds out that Cheyenne is the daughter of the president of a very powerful corporation they realize that the ca
HMSA Reads: Book Review: Girl, Stolen 1 4 Aug 23, 2016 03:29PM
Mrs. Anderson's E...: Ashlin TAnner- Girl stolen (april henry) 1 2 May 12, 2016 07:55PM
  • The Animal
  • Treasure Lost
  • Soccerland
  • A Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame
  • Rescue Bunnies
  • Midnight Reflections (Preternatural Investigation Agency, #1)
  • The Age of Comfort: When Paris Discovered Casual—and the Modern Home Began
  • Tensy Farlow and the Home for Mislaid Children
  • You
  • Bitter Melon
  • Payback Time
I write mysteries and thrillers. I live in Portland, Oregon with my family.

If you've read one of my books, I would love to hear from you. Hearing from readers makes me eager to keep writing.

When I was 12, I sent a short story about a six-foot tall frog who loved peanut butter to Roald Dahl, the author of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. He liked it so much he arranged to have it published in an
More about April Henry...

Girl, Stolen (2 books)
  • Untitled (Girl, Stolen, #2)

“Sometimes people did this, closed their eyes for a few seconds and imagined it gave them insights into what it was like to be her. Only, at the end, they could still open their eyes and see.” 15 likes
“Who's stupid now, Jimbo?!” 13 likes