Fresh Off the Boat

Fresh Off the Boat

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  500 ratings  ·  52 reviews
Dear Peaches, America is perfect! Okay, so Vicenza isn't being totally honest with Peaches, her best friend back in Manila. But what fun is it being the new girl at snooty Grosvernor High? Or rooting through the Salvation Army for unholey cashmere sweaters? Or having culture-shocked, embarrassingly clueless parents? Maybe being Claude Caligari's ignored geometry partner is...more
Published April 1st 2005 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Fresh Off the Boat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fresh Off the Boat

The Truth About Forever by Sarah DessenJust Listen by Sarah DessenThe Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann BrasharesLock and Key by Sarah DessenAnna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
Best YA Chicklit
241st out of 473 books — 1,029 voters
Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisPrincess Academy by Shannon HaleHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingI'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally Carter
Pre-teen Fantasy and Chick Lit
74th out of 77 books — 93 voters

More lists with this book...

Justine
Mar 24, 2010 Justine rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: girls of all ages, and Filipino-American teens (especially girls)
THIS BOOK WAS AMAZING! Here's why: the storyline is of a young Vicenza Arambullo, who has been moved to San Francisco by her family from the Philippines in search of a new life. So, back to my review. Being a Filipino, this book more than caught my eye. I saw the title and cover in the library and was like, "is this referring to F.O.B.? no, it can't be..." I grabbed the book from the shelf and was delighted to find that the title meant exactly what I had thought: the term used for Filipinos livi...more
Chris
Vivi
cute! read it!
Anna
I never knew Melissa De la Cruz, the author of the YA paranormal series, the Au Pairs (which I haven't read) was Filipina. I had assumed she was Latina. In this semi-autobiographical novel, Vincenza Arambullo is recently immigrated from a posh life in Manila, Philippines to more-reduced circumstances in South San Francisco, USA. By schoolday, Vi is a scholarship student at an exclusive all-girls preparatory academy in San Francisco, but afterschool, Vi works in the Sears employee cafeteria that...more
Jackie
This book wasn’t even close to my radar until I needed an author’s name that started with “de” or “van” for a challenge bonus task. While, I didn’t get the bonus points I did find a hidden gem in this book.

The story is told from the perspective of 14 year old Vicenza, a recent Filipina immigrant. Her parents were very wealthy in the Philippines, but after suffering an economic downfall the family was forced to relocate. They chose America, The Land of Big Dreams, with the hopes of having an easy...more
Rae
Vicenza Arambullo is almost fifteen and struggles to fit in at her private school. Things are complicated by her Filipino heritage and her naivete. The novel is a quick read (it feels like chick lit) and I thought it was delightful.
Leigh
FIRST READ: 2011 December (3 stars)

I skipped some parts on Melissa de la Cruz's Fresh Off the Boat. The book entertained me a bit and because the narrator was a teenager and mostly talked about, uh, crushes, love (I'm sorry I can no longer remember and when I was reading this I was being crazy over someone) so I was trying not to miss anything. But I still skipped some pages. Heh.

SECOND READ: 2014 March 31 - April 2 (5 stars)

So I guess I didn't skip some parts before, because after I finished
Jen
De La Cruz, M. (2005). Fresh off the boat. New York, New York: Harper Trophy.

Vicenza Arumbullo is a fourteen-year-old Filipina girl whose family are recent immigrants (within the last three months) to the United States. They moved from Manila to South San Francisco, and even though they are “fresh off the boat,” Vicenza wants to reassure us that she really took a Boeing 707 over to the U.S. In the Philippines, her family was very well off: her parents ran a restaurant in the sleekest Manila neig...more
Melissa
Sep 13, 2012 Melissa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: prb
This book was a little hard to start because I didn't find it very interesting. Either way I stuck to the book and I'm very glad I did. It's honestly a really good book. The book is about a sudden change in a normal teenage girls life, about secrets, emotions, opinions, tears, unforgettable moments, and finding your true self. It's from her point of view and I really like that because it's easy to relate to and easy to understand. It really did keep me intrigued, and like many other great books...more
Rich in Color
Fresh Off the Boat centers on 14 year-old Vicenza and her struggle to adjust to life after immigrating to America — her struggles seem mostly dominated by her wish to assimilate, be popular, and catch the eye of some cute guy. But, as the book progresses, a story about friendship and family reveals itself. What really got me was the strong depiction of family relationships and friendship. The romantic subplot involving the generic-cute-boy love interest paled in comparison.

This book definitely f...more
Trish
It's refreshing to see a YA book with a Filipina protagonist. While I didn't immigrate to the U.S. or experience culture shock like Vicenza, I related to her in many ways. We both lack geometry skills, our moms use sugar in spaghetti sauce, and our dads hope to win millions from the lottery. I would've been V's friend if we went to the same high school, unlike the other Filipina Trish in the book that completely ignores her.

Teen chick lit is an appropriate category for this book. Clothes and cut...more
Diana
(view spoiler)
I don't know why but I felt like I could really relate to the main character, mostly how she felt like she didn't fit in, and thought that she had to pretend to be something she wasn't.
I was only able to read this maybe once or twice because the last time I tried to reread it I got so annoyed with her. Just the way she tried so hard to fit in and be "cool."
What I used to feel I could relate to...more
Theresa
Vicenza is from Manila, where her best friend Peaches also lives. When she moves to America, she still writes Peaches every week, or even day. She writes her-yes, tells the truth-sort of. She is a new student at Grosvernor High School, but what fun is it without friends, fashion or a boyfriend, because being a ignored geometry partner of her crush Claude doesn’t help either. Working at her parents restaurant and having embarrassing parents form a complete different planet, is another thing. All...more
Mark
Nov 18, 2012 Mark rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
If you are a Filipino who experienced life in both Philippines and the US, you can give this another star (my current rating doesn't yet reflect it, so it's actually 4 stars). I feel it's accurate in terms of anecdotes, feelings, experiences faced by the average teenage Filipino immigrant in the US. I found myself nodding my head and laughing at how I was able to relate to certain things. Unfortunately I doubt the book will hold the interest of non-Filipinos. Still, I found it a good way to kill...more
Jasmine linso
Fresh Off the Boat is a fun, nice, and an easy read and i also find it quite refreshing since it relates to Filipinos living abroad. As a Filipino myself, I could totally understand the rules and attitude of the main character and her family which really helped me while reading the book since I didn't have to fully immerse myself in analyzing the character in order to know, understand and get into her perspective.
Goldie Marie
This book is delightfully refreshing with a new idea mixed in with old. Vicenza is a wonderfull character as is her family, Isobel (she's my favorite), and Paul. Unfourtanatley I was dissapointed in the lack of creativity when it came to buying the dress and making it buitifull. Sorry, but the whole make an ugly dress look fabulous bit is a bit overdone. Otherwise it was an enjoyablse simple read.
Kenya
This was also an awesome book to read. This book is about a girl named Vicenza and she recently moved to America fromher hometown Manila in the Phillipines. When she arrived in New York she felt so out of place and could not fit in, but with the help of her new friend, Isobel she was able to find true love and make other friends also. The end of the book was very good and i enjoyed it.
Amy
I'm reading this because I volunteered to do some booktalking to kids in the local juvenile hall. They gave me a list of books to choose from. I'm not sure why this one is on the list. I mean, it's easy, light reading (chick lit), but will these kids in jail relate to it? Maybe some parts. Def too many pop culture references, this book dates itself!
Arra Abella
Feb 26, 2013 Arra Abella rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Young Adult (girls)
I liked how the author put a Filipino twist in this book. I can somehow relate to it. It was an "okay" read. Nothing more. It sort of left me hanging. It did not really satisfy my reading expectation. But like I said, it was okay.

Read more HERE
Rekha
Vicenza has recently immigrated with her family to San Francisco from Manila. Back home her family was well-off, but now Vicenza has to be on scholarship to attend her private school. She struggles with mean girls, unattainable boys, and parents who want her to stay the same even in the midst of the change surrounding her.
Oyceter
Jul 14, 2007 Oyceter rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: chick lit readers
Fun and frothy book with a Filipino heroine! I like that Vicenza is a little shallow and clothes-obsessed and that the book reads so much like a normal, YA version of chicklit, without a huge focus on V.'s race and nationality, but also without ignoring it.

Full review: http://oyceter.livejournal.com/623565...
Jam
well that was pretty cute

loving the family and friendship stuffs; romance was blerrrrgh (and the love interest of poc mc is always white?? i don't know why)
Allie
Entertaining read about a Filipino family who moves to south San Francisco. Giving it a 4 instead of a 5, because although the main character is nearly 15 years old (and that's kind of the point), her teen-aged thoughts often made me want to shake her. :)
Juleah
This really wasn't that great, but its about a girl who is Filipina, so it gets an automatic 3 stars just for that. Its one of those books that I wish was around when I was growing up, because I would have totally related to the main character when I was 13.
Jay
This book was good. It gave me a diffrent perspective of Melissa de la Cruz in a good way. It was nice to read something else for her. I really liked Vincenza, all she wanted was to fit in. It was a good story about fitting in.
Annie
A nice chick lit.
nothing too special.
A good book to read to kill time, it just a book about a teenage girl from Manila that moved too America. New fiends, boy problems etc etc etc.
Nothing too special
Jemellee
I loved it. When I first saw the title, "FOB" came into mind, but I didn't know that it was a novel of a Filipina Girl adjusting to her life in America. It's lovely, funny, and every Filipino should read it.
Qisthas Noeman
Nov 18, 2007 Qisthas Noeman rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yeah
i like this good. the voc arent hard.
this story bout asian gril how moved to US. prety much the some like me. so i can enjoyed read this book.

and i leaened sometimes mother knows better than u r.
Anna
Enjoyable for a teen chick lit book. Vicenza's experience reminds me of what I personally had to go through myself, that is, leaving the Philippines at the age of 14 and adapting to a new country and culture.
  • Tangled Threads: A Hmong Girl's Story
  • Winds of the Storm
  • Nothing But the Truth [and a few white lies]
  • The Fashion Disaster that Changed my Life
  • The Black Rose
  • Paper Butterfly (A Mei Wang Mystery, #2)
  • The Night Wanderer: A Native Gothic Novel
  • The Girlfriend Project
  • Devil's Wake
  • Behind the Mountains (First Person Fiction)
  • Southland
21911
Melissa de la Cruz is the New York Times and USA Today best-selling author of many critically acclaimed and award-winning novels for teens including The Au Pairs series, the Blue Bloods series, the Ashleys series, the Angels on Sunset Boulevard series and the semi-autobiographical novel Fresh off the Boat.

Her books for adults include the novel Cat’s Meow, the anthology Girls Who Like Boys Who Like...more
More about Melissa de la Cruz...
Blue Bloods (Blue Bloods, #1) Masquerade (Blue Bloods, #2) Revelations (Blue Bloods, #3) The Van Alen Legacy (Blue Bloods, #4) Misguided Angel (Blue Bloods, #5)