Start by marking “A Birthday for Frances” as Want to Read:
A Birthday for Frances

A Birthday for Frances (Frances the Badger)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  1,465 ratings  ·  68 reviews
s her little sister Gloria's birthday approaches, Frances wavers between being generous'and being jealous. ‘[Frances] is every youngster who chafes at being the un-birthday child.
Published April 28th 1976 by HarperCollins (first published August 28th 1968)

To ask other readers questions about A Birthday for Frances, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Birthday for Frances

Melody
I love Frances. I love when kids come to my house and clamor for more Frances books. I love still having a few in reserve. I love reading them to people. I love reading them to myself. I am barmy for Frances.

But this Frances book has the best line in maybe the whole series, and one I quote on approximately 364 days each year: "That is how it is, Alice," said Frances. "Your birthday is always the one that is not now."
And usually when I quote it, I give your Chompo bar a little exploratory squeeze
Anna
Squeeze the chompo bar.
Emily
I read the Frances books as a kid and was delighted to find I loved them just as much when I read them to my children. The author clearly has experience with children and portrays Frances so realistically. Take this exchange, after Frances asks her mother what their parents are giving her younger sister for her birthday:

"'I am not going to give Gloria any present,' said Frances.
'That is all right,' said Mother, and Frances began to cry.
'What is the matter?' said Mother. 'Why are you crying?'
'Eve
midnightfaerie
A great level 2 book for beginner readers. A fun story and a good lesson in learning that birthday's aren't always all about you, but the person whose birthday it is. A good length with some new names that made it interesting and something my 5 yr old could relate to while he was reading it. We love the Frances books.
Heidi
I love Frances. She's a precocious little girl who has the typical lessons that need to be learned as a child. And, eventually, she learns them. This one is a classic--not your birthday, misunderstanding between siblings. She makes you smile even as she makes her mistakes. And I never get over how adorable the pictures are.
Shanna Gonzalez
Frances' sister Gloria is having a birthday party, and as the preparations commence Frances begins to deal with feelings of jealousy over the attention Gloria is receiving. When she realizes everyone is giving Gloria a present but her, she begins to cry, then lights upon the idea of buying Gloria a Chompo bar and some gumballs with an advance on her allowance. But on the way home she "accidentally" eats the gumballs, and Father takes the Chompo bar for safekeeping. As the time for the party grow ...more
Helen
Oh, how I love this book.

Like big sisters everywhere the world over, Frances the badger is narcissistic, selfish, bossy, and mean to her little sister.

It is the day before little sister Gloria's birthday party, and Mother and Gloria are sitting at the kitchen table making placecards for the party. Instead of helping, Frances is in the broom closet, feeling sorry for herself and singing:

Happy Thursday to you,
Happy Thursday to You,
Happy Thursday dear Alice,
Happy Thursday to you.

No one in this
Jen

While I really enjoyed the illustrations in this book, the story wasn't the greatest and I don't particularly want my young nieces to read this one. Much of this reason relates to the primary character: Frances the Badger. There were a number of things I didn't care for in this story:

I did not like how Frances used random letters to spell words, and I especially did not like that her mother did not correct her or help her understand how to properly spell those words. I did not like th
HeavyReader
In this edition of the Frances saga, it's little sister Gloria's birthday. Frances wishes it were her birthday, but it's not. Frances gets Gloria a Chompo bar (soft nougat wrapped in chewy caramel covered in chocolate and nuts) and four gumballs, but chews the gumballs on the walk home. Frances wants to keep the Chompo bar for herself, but gives it to Gloria, who eats the whole thing.

Also nice is the bit about Frances' imaginary friend Alice who doesn't have birthdays. Frances sings "Happy Thurs
Margaret
Absolutely joy and jumping up and down was the response when I opened the box that contained this early reader, I Can Read! Level 2 version of A Birthday for Frances as my preschooler just loves the character and antics of Frances from Russell and Lillian Hoban. This is an adorable little tale of conscience where Frances deals with what she wants, and what is right about jealousy and fairness when it comes to her sister's birthday present and party. It is a good one for early discussion on what ...more
Kaylin
This was an ok book. The only two things I didnt like about this book was that Frances was very jealous about Gloria's birthday. Also that Frances was kind of being a jerk and eating Gloria's 4 gumballs and also squishing his choco bar. But the other parts of the book was ok. I hope you read this book it was alright!
Kristin
i *love* the frances books. highly recommended for read-aloud. you'll entertain your kids and be laughing out loud yourself.
Fran
Special books from my childhood. Picked up to read again when at my parents one weekend.
Tara
This is a bok that has me giggling to myself as I read it to my small kids.
Michelle
All the Frances stories get childhood just right. The details are what make these stories so insightful--the way Frances squeezes the chocolate bar she really wishes she could keep for herself instead of giving it to her sister Gloria for her birthday, the way she "spells" words, the way Mother is always nearby even when Frances goes "out of town." The Hobans present the self-centeredness of childhood with so much compassion, children can see themselves in these characters and forgive themselves ...more
LaSchelle
I bought the record of this with my own money when I was in grade school from the Scholastic Book club. I listened to the record over and over again. I memorized it.

As I've given gifts, I've remembered how Frances gave "two whole allowances" to her sister Gloria for her birthday--the ultimate sacrifice for her. I loved how the parent's taught Frances to be nice to Gloria. I also loved Frances' imaginary friend Alice--I had an imaginary friend when I was a kid.

My sister gave this to me for my bir
Sherie
What does Frances want to get Gloria for her birthday? Nothing because Gloria lost Frances' pail and shovel and Frances is short on forgiveness. She finally gets an advance on her allowance and buys Gloria a Chompo bar and some bubble gum, but she's not sure she will give the Chompo bar because little sisters aren't much good at anything. Frances and Albert discuss younger siblings and use some magical spelling to sort outtheir frustrations. Also Frances does her version of the birthday song.
Quint
Frances and Albert are a bit mean to Gloria in this book. Q convinced he will be the birthday girl.
Sjstanley
Loved this greatly as a child (though I didn't laugh where my mom did, which threw me a few curves); now read it regularly to my children--and laugh where my mom used to!

Russell Hoban captures the slightly truculent voice of Frances quite well. The made-up songs, bizarre spellings (s-m-f-o = better) and imaginative aspects will be comfortable territory for children and entertainment for adults who lost their key to childhood mindset.
Anna
Frances cannot get into the spirit for her sister Gloria's birthday. She is just too jealous of all the attention Gloria is getting. But at the end, Frances does the right thing.

A good tale for younger elementary and preschoolers. Most children have these feelings and to see a fictional character share them and then work through it can be quite helpful.

My grandsons gave the book high marks.
Cana
Mommy says: We read this right around the time that our green-eyed monster watched us celebrate her little brother's birthday. It helped us underscore the message that we celebrate the birthday of and give gifts to the child who is turning a year older, not the other one, who needs to wait for her own birthday!
Alfajirikali
I don't recall enjoying this series when I was young and was not looking forward to reading it, but it was on a suggested reading list so we took a look. Although Athena didn't seem to enjoy it so much, I thought it had some very funny elements. To me it captured features of a precocious 3 year old in an uncanny way.
Connie
Birthdays can be HARD when you're not the birthday child. Frances realistically is upset that her baby sister gets cake and presents and SHE DOES NOT. So she eats her sister's present. Whoops.

There's a moral in here, though a bit of an inexpressible one, and there's a lot of realism. What more can you ask for?
Lisa
A cute addition to the Frances books, about dealing with jealousy of a sibling. Frances is having issues with the fact that it is Gloria's birthday and not her own - something many children deal with. I love how it is resoved in the end, and how it shows that the two of them really love each other.
Cecily
All of the Frances books are a hit with Simon. He loves singin the songs with me and riding his "Champ" around the house. I love that the book has enought interesting fun for parents that reading the book for the hundredth time doesn't get old. (I still mess up Frances's spelling everytime.)
Erin
I love this book. All the Frances books are fun to read out loud because you get to improvise the funny songs that Frances sings. We have read this book several times this month seeing as there are 4 birthdays within a month in our family and sometimes someone feels a little left out...
Megan
Frances is quite the little character. She reminds me of my niece, in fact. She spends her allowance to buy a gift for her little sister's birthday and struggles deciding whether or not to actually give it to her, because she'd rather keep it (or eat it really) herself.
Jen Rhodes
Jun 20, 2012 Jen Rhodes rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jen by: a childrens' author
Tracy
Frances was in the 1001 Children's Books to Read Before you Grow Up. Personally there is way too much text in this book, although Francis' struggle with her little sister's birthday is a very relateable toddler feeling. I like the predictable happy ending. :)
elissa
I don't remember reading this as a child, but I fell in love with it when I became a librarian. I don't think I knew that the Frances books were a series when I was growing up. Another librarian that I worked with gave it to my older son as a present when he was born.
  • Harry by the Sea
  • Dandelion
  • George and Martha One Fine Day
  • Lyle and the Birthday Party
  • Pigs Aplenty, Pigs Galore!
  • Peter's Chair
  • The Story of Miss Moppet
  • Angelina on Stage
  • Mouse Soup
  • Buffalo Woman

Frances the Badger (7 books)
  • Bedtime for Frances
  • A Baby Sister for Frances
  • Bread and Jam for Frances
  • Best Friends for Frances
  • A Bargain for Frances
  • Egg Thoughts and Other Frances Songs
Bread and Jam for Frances Bedtime for Frances A Bargain for Frances Riddley Walker A Baby Sister for Frances

“Who is Alice?" asked mother.
"Alice is somebody that nobody can see," said Frances. "And that is why she does not have a birthday. So I am singing Happy Thursday to her." - Frances the badger”
26 likes