Start by marking “The Real Minerva” as Want to Read:
The Real Minerva

The Real Minerva

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  291 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Stunningly detailed, richly plotted, and emotionally engrossing, The Real Minerva is the story of three women forging their own paths in a Midwestern farming community. In 1923, as book-loving Penny enters adolescence, her mother, Barbara, pulls her out of school to send her to work. Destined to become a cleaning woman like her mother, Penny sees no escape from her bleak e ...more
Published January 13th 2006 by Mariner Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Real Minerva, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Real Minerva

Becca
I chose this because one of my Etsy friend’s name is Minerva and she’s awesome. :)

So it’s set in the 1920s for most of the story. But little is said or done that couldn’t have made it set today, which is a little sad…I’ll explain in a minute. It takes place in Minerva Minnesota and tells the story of a mother and daughter, a mother and daughter, and mother and daughter: Barbara and Penny, Cora and Phoebe, and to a lesser but no less tragic degree, Hazel and Irene. Barbara and Penny live with Ire
Beth
THE REAL MINERVA is powerful and beautifully written novel. Barbara, Cora, Penelope: three women's lives that SHARRATT intertwines in a beautifully choreographed tale. These strong, singular women's stories are about struggling surviving, living and loving fiercely and without compromise. The roles and societal structure that defined small-town life in the 1930s shape the destinies of Barbara, Cora, and Penelope. Each has a secret to keep. Each must find a way to escape and reestablish their liv ...more
Stephanie
This book was an interesting historical fiction read, but I think the best part about it was that the characters created by Mary Sharratt were so complex and generally likeable despite their flaws. I was really attached to them by the end!
Gaile
it is 1923. In Minerva, Minn, the owner if the factory, Mr. Hamilton has had to put his wife away. She contacted sleeping sickness. Thereafter he begins an affair with his live in hired woman, Barbara Niebeck. Her daughter, Penny suspected and after a flight, Penny flees and finds herself twenty three miles of town where Cora Viney has tried to have her baby by herself. Penny stays on to help Cora while back on the Hamilton place her mother continues her affair with her boss. Mr. Hamilton's olde ...more
Beth
Not quite as compelling as Summit Avenue, this book was still beautifully written. Sharrat is a master of characterization and getting historical details right. The plot parallels that of Summit Avenue, with its exploration of women trying to break away from limited gender roles, living on their own in defiance of society's expectations, etc. This book has a slightly darker viewpoint than her earlier novel--more violence, more focus on women's vulnerabilities in a society that forces them to be ...more
Summer
Charming, intricate. No real bad guys in the story. Mostly folks just trying to get by. Some interesting information on the 1930s era. Quite a bit of incidental philosophy. I will definitely look for more of her work. Two murders, but they were part of the story, not a feature of it.
Dora
Interesting female characters who face a variety of challenges because of the community and time period in which they live. The women are written well without over simplification.
Jelan
I don't very often read an entire book in a day, but I started the new year by reading the entire The Real Minerva. I was completely drawn in by the flawed, heroic, tragic figures of the three women who are the centerpiece of this book. The writing was wonderful in the way that good writing often it is... it carried me along with the story, painted pictures, provided glimpses into the different perspectives, and didn't get in the way. If you're looking for a great read this new year, try it!
Ellen
This was a pretty good story. Two grown women and two 15 year old girls each make choices that are, in the least, not in line with the norms of the day in rural Minnesota in the early 1920's and, at most, extremely desperate. The most interesting aspect for me was thinking about a "justified" murder. If you murder one person to save another, you have still killed someone. And if someone takes the blame to save the murderer, the one who killed may escape jail time and social stigma but still live ...more
Audrey Terry
I'd like to say that not very many books have made me cry...but I'd be lying. This is a case where all the little injustices pile up until they overflow. Luckily they're countered with a happy ending :)I'm a sap, I freely admit that now, haha. In any case, I loved watching Penny grow up into a woman that was able to understand her mother's sacrifices, and then seeing Phoebe grow in the same vein. This is just a beautifully written story that I don't feel is told often enough.
Julie
I loved Mary Sharratt's 'The Vanishing Point' so much so that I went searching for other books by this author. While not nearly as gripping as 'The Vanishing Point', 'The Real Minerva' was still a good read. This book took us back to an earlier time when women were challenged by far more issues that today are no longer accepted as 'the way it is.' Sharratt's 'Minerva' is a story of strong women overcoming various real events and challenges.
Katie
I don't like books like this....too graphic, trying to be edgy. Yes, maybe if I kept reading, it would all have some sort of redemptive value, but I still feel like it is a cheap trick to try to pull the reader in with gritty details and torrid descriptions.
♥ Marlene♥
I really enjoyed reading this book.It was a quick and an interesting read. It is the story about 3 different women who have in common that they are strong even though they might not know it.
Some of the plot was a surprise to me and that does not happen that much so that was nice. I am planning on trying to find this author's first book and i hope she will write more. Loved The Vanishing Point.
Renee
A great story about a small town and a girl who manages to turn out well and strong. Mary Sharratt is a terrific storyteller. I've read every one of her books.
Ellen
Set in Minnesota during the 1920s, this is a story about three strong women who survive incest, domestic violence, harassment, and malicious town gossip. It's an interesting account of the limited roles available at the time for women and the sometimes desperate situations that uneducated women had to accept to support themselves.
Linda
Loved this - engrossing story, full of twists and turns, of scandals in small-town heartland. Women trying to break free from society's limitations, and more.
Beautiful characters and incredible ultimate climax. Wow.
This was a finalist for the MN Book Awards in 2005. Now I know why.
Gillian
This is a great story - I'm hooked!

Ok, i'm finished & as much as I wanted to keep reading & couldn't wait to finish...I'm sad I'm finished it! Utterly unputdownable. I'm thinking I want to read it again - need to check out some more books. Mary Sharatt, get writing please!
Sue
I enjoyed this book. I connected with all the characters. It is great to have strong women characters and a sense of triumph even in adversity. I thought the author did a great job developing the characters. It is fun that the author is from Minnesota. I recommend.
Celestia
A coming of age story of a "hired girl" (servant) for a fascinating outcast woman whose farm rests just outside of Minerva, Minn. The story is good, with lots of twists, but it didn't really jump off the page and make me fall in love with the characters.
Pat
Dark story of women who escape abuse and oppression through an abundance of blood, sweat, and tears. The plot remains well developed and coherent through unexpected twists and turns. However, much of the narrative did not hold my interest.
Megan
Read this book! It kept me up late at night and I loved every minute of it. Even though I was mad at Penny at times for being so hardcore with her mother, I loved these three women who were fearless and strong and all the things I hope I am.
Cassie
Natalie
Another fab read from Mary Sharratt! I really loved this story, I found myself completely identifying with and loving Cora, and thought she was an amazing character! I couldn't put this one down at the end!
Julie
A book about strong women and their struggles during a time when truly strong women were only just emerging in small town America. It was a short, quick read, but a powerful and well written story at that.
Courtney
I liked this book a lot. I always enjoy stories of how women struggle to make a life for themselves and face the unique challenges that life puts in their path. I would recommend this book.
Katie
An engrossing read. Fast pace, engaging characters. Strong feminist overtones. Apart from the doctor, all the men are caricatures or ciphers. Come to think of it, so is the kindly old doctor.
Astrid
3.5 Women's Lib in 1920's Minerva, Minnesota. Really good read about 3 strong women and how a couple of rifles change their lives. Didn't want to stop reading it, that's 3 stars right there...
Jamie Jasper
This was the second book of Mary Sharratts that I read; I loved the Vanishing Point so much, I was a little disappointed with this one. I do like her writing style, however.
Siobhann
Again, great writing and storytelling. This author is really good at pacing and characters (especially strong female protagonists).
Good Book Fairy
3 + stars. i really liked this wholesome coming of age story set in the small town of minerva. good characters and honestly told.
  • Seven Locks: A Novel
  • Brigid of Kildare
  • Savage Lands
  • Black Roses
  • Watermark: A Novel of the Middle Ages
  • My Favorite Midlife Crisis (Yet)
  • Out of the Wilderness
  • The Herbalist
  • Crown of Dust
  • Erotic Exchanges: The World of Elite Prostitution in Eighteenth-Century Paris
  • Bone by Bone
Mary Sharratt is an American writer who lives with her Belgian husband in the Pendle region of Lancashire, England, the setting for her acclaimed 2010 novel, DAUGHTERS OF THE WITCHING HILL, which recasts the Pendle Witches of 1612 in their historical context as cunning folk and healers.

Previously she lived for twelve years in Germany. This, along with her interest in sacred music and herbal medic
More about Mary Sharratt...
Daughters of the Witching Hill Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen The Vanishing Point Summit Avenue Bitch Lit