The Night Walk Men (The Night Walk Men, #1)

The Night Walk Men (The Night Walk Men #1)

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  139 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Three-year old Gabriela plays with her twin brother on a train platform. Blind sax man, Braille the Rail, meets with an old, old friend. The earth rumbles beneath them all: the promise of an approaching locomotive. Now, two mysterious strangers, both of them acting in the interest of an otherworldly sense of duty, will decide their fate over a cup of tea.
Published August 5th 2010 by Jason McIntyre (first published January 1st 2010)

Finnikin of the Rock by Melina MarchettaForbidden by Tabitha SuzumaNevermore by Kelly CreaghSaving Francesca by Melina MarchettaEverlost by Neal Shusterman
Books You Wish More People Knew About
442nd out of 10,514 books — 10,653 voters
No Justice by Darcia HelleEnemies and Playmates by Darcia HelleThe Cutting Edge by Darcia HelleBestsellerBound Short Story Anthology Volume 2 by Darcia HelleInto The Light by Darcia Helle
Great Books by BestsellerBound Authors
31st out of 81 books — 15 voters

More lists with this book...

Lou
Well written and creative story, this is more a taster short story to something bigger to come The Night Walk Men are characters you want to hear more of in the Death sense of things.
Available FOR Free on Kindle.

L.M. Stull
The Night Walk Men was my first introduction to the very talented Jason McIntyre, and I'm not sure what took me so long to read him because I absolutely adore him!

Don't let the fact that this work of art is not novel-length dissuade you into thinking it doesn't pack the same punch longer pieces do. Because it does.

McIntyre's writing is hauntingly beautiful and the imagery is so vivid I dare anyone to try and sit it down once they've started. The writing in Night Walk Men has an old world feel an...more
Maria
A story told as if someone is relaying a secret, like being let in on inside information. A compulsive read. A story about loyalty, duty, friendship, life, and death. Do accidents ever happen, or is everything just a part of a bigger plan? You must read The Night Walk Men to find out...
Jason McIntyre
Sep 07, 2010 Jason McIntyre rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
Review by: Lisa B at Smashwords on Aug. 06, 2010 :
Weird! But in a good way. It plays with the narrative to the point where I was questioning the motives of the narrator and not sure if I should trust what he was telling me or call him a liar. It is very blunt! Being "talked to" like that in a story is different.

I can't get past the mental image I created in my own head of that little girl on the train track when she felt the rumble of the coming train. Good solid creation of the fear in my own...more
Tim
After reading the wonderful On The Gathering Storm I was amazed to find this for free on amazon and immediately downloaded it. I thought the voice of the narrator was superb and the opening sequence beautifully written. I loved the way the narrator would change from being comical to deadly serious in the space of a few words, and I was never quite sure if I could trust what he was saying. I really enjoyed the scenes between Obsidion and Braille, they were so emotionally charged and touching. All...more
Lea
This is a very well written story, it reads almost like poetry. As others have said, I would love to read more about the Night Walk Men. This was a great introduction to Jason McIntyre's work.

If you're interested in reading it, try smashwords -- I wasn't able to find it on Amazon, etc, but found it on smashwords by googling it.
Nathan Henrion
Fantastic short story. Absolutely fantastic. It had a certain classic feel to the narration...the voice is reminiscent of the narrator from Dostoevsky's "Notes From Underground" with a twist of Neil Gaiman thrown in for kicks.

Do yourself a favor and download it. A quick read and there are some great lines in this piece.
Robert Zimmermann
The Night Walk Men was able to hook me in, in one of the strangest ways a book can. It's a novella written for the most part in the 2nd person point of view. This is a MAJOR turn off for me. I don't like being talked at from what I'm reading. But this style works very well for how McIntyre is setting up the story. When some authors will just have a narrator that said you a lot and doesn't actually include the reader in the story, the narrator of The Night Walk Men interacts with the reader. It m...more
Giovanni Gelati
Here is the second digital short of the day, one that will make your mind expand in a total different direction than Bite This!. Before I get into that though, I just would like to offer up some background on this post’s author Jason McIntyre: Born on the prairies, Jason McIntyre eventually lived and worked on Vancouver Island where the vibrant characters and vivid surroundings stayed with him and coalesced into what would become his novel, On the Gathering Storm. Before his time as an editor, w...more
Lori
I listened to the audio even though the author was kind enough to offer both the book for download as well as the audio. I was curious to hear vs read this time. The voice (not sure if this is the author himself or someone else but the reading is awesome) Very eerie and my favorite part which made me jump for some reason was the opening in part 1 where he says "More people die when it's raining" I often wondered about that but hearing it while "just" talking about weather was a great opener.

Par...more
Kimberly McMichael
I loved this book. The Night Walk Men is seriously one of the more conflicted stories Ive read. It is fast paced while telling an age old story. It is seriously dark, with a goth/comic book feel to it, yet some of the most beautifully written lines Ive ever had the pleasure of reading. The characters are extremelly strong and McIntyre is able to build them within the constraints of a short story. The story makes me itch to draw...with lots of blacks and greys... I am surprised to be writing this...more
Sheri
The Night Walk Men (Jason McIntyre)
Novella

Gabriela and her brother are playing on the rail road tracks, while her mother searched her purse for lipstick and her father is occupied. As the train approaches the fate of one young girl will be decided by two strangers.

Written in a unique style as if this story is being told to the reader on a personal level. I highly anticipate the full story as this is The Prologue to The Night Walk Men Novel.

I intend on reading all of Jason McIntyrebooks.
I recomme...more
Mallory Anne-Marie
Review of The Night Walk Men by Jason McIntyre
5 Stars
Reviewed for Freebookdude Nov. 5 2012

A reader’s hooking first page that just yanks the reader up by the throat starts off this novella-then it goes metaphysical and metaphorical and philosophical . So we learn that the Night Walk Men (yes, they are multiple) bring death, to human and animal, but then that’s not their only task. Sometimes they just fix: adjust what Should have but wasn’t. Sometimes.
Sometimes the Night Walk Men are called to fix...more
Angela
A very good short story I found for free download at Amazon.

Since receiving a kindle at Christmas I have been divulging in my love for short stories by downloading a lot of free ones; ones I would not generally read either so it is good to find a source to broaden my reading experiences and tastes.

Out of the many short stories I have read recently, this is by far one of the better written and interesting ones. As a prologue to a book series, this is definitely something I would be interested in...more
Darcia Helle
I want more! I loved this story and would like to double my star rating. The Night Walk Men is short but don't let the length fool you. The substance packed into this novelette is astounding. This story is dark, yet full of hope; obscure, yet enlightening. As always, Jason McIntyre paints a portrait with his words. His imagery is perfection and will haunt me for some time in ways both wondrous and disconcerting. I hope to see more of The Night Walk Men soon!
Dawna
This was the first work I read by Jason McIntyre and it was enough to have me hooked on his writing! The story is not overly dark but you have a sense of foreboding throughout. It really does draw you in from the first sentence. It is slightly otherworldly but definitely not unbelievable. Amazing is what i call it. When i finished, I went and added ALL of his works to my wish list then bought them each as i could. He is THAT good. A star on the rise!!!
Eric Bahle
This novella is dripping with melancholy atmosphere. The narrator directly addresses the reader which gives it an intimate feel. It tells the story of an inhuman agent who succumbs to a very human impulse. An agent of what force, we're not sure. It's not god, and not fate, but something similar to both. Well written, dark and a bit sad, and leaves you wanting more.
Cassie
Beautifully scripted, it felt like I was reading music, or art. At times, I wasn't entirely fond of the narrator talking directly to the reader, but the words flowed and it just led me through the story. As a teaser for a book series, it definitely teased.
Shivanee (Novel Niche)
Thoughtfully and deftly constructed, this novella is proof positive that McIntyre can handle a shorter fictive form, making something of it that is immensely readable.
Eric
Sep 15, 2010 Eric rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Fans of short fiction; Anyone looking for new authors to read
The narrative voice is reminiscent of Chuck Palahniuk, the fantastical setting of Neil Gaiman. I can't wait to read the novels that this short story sets up.
oriana
Sep 29, 2010 oriana marked it as to-read
Well, Jason is my GR friend, and he is funny and nice and assures me that this book won't be too scary for delicate ol' me. Hopefully he's right...
Evie
I loved it, the story was fascinating! Very eerie and disquieting. I would love to read more stories from Night Walk Men world :)
Mark Jacobs
Weird, eerie, and spellbinding stuff. Well worth reading! A story of great depth and meaning. Good job, Jason.

Erika
Really enjoyed the flow an rhythm to this short story. Very much enjoyed.
Kathryn
This was a gorgeously written, fascinating view of death.
Ed Schmidt
Great story. I loved his writing style in this book.
Amy
Free Kindle Book
Matt Schiariti
I got this as a free kindle book. Had good ratings and it looked like a quick read so why not give it a shot?

I rifled through it in about a half hour or so. I put it down. I sat there. I thought about it. I still have no idea what it's about.

the 'Night Walk Men' are what? Angels? Demons? Norse Gods? Hard to say. The only real thing I can get from this story is that they have the power over life or death. Or just death. Or maybe both? I honestly don't know.

It also comes with an excerpt from his n...more
Alanna
What can I say ... I really really enjoyed this. It's a short read, but it was the best way to while the time. The narrative style is amazing - McIntyre just finds a way to make it work, and it does. Beautifully.

I hear there are rumors of a full-length follow up to this, and I am super excited. the characters and wonderfully made and you're never quite sure if you should really honestly and whole-heartedly believe the things that the main character is telling you.

Descriptively, this book is a m...more
Mark Bordner
This is not the first of McIntyre's books that I've read, and was pleased by the consistency of his style. The word flow pulls you in, and doesn't let go. Vivid imagery takes you into the scene, some of which stays with you even after leaving the page.

By far, a writer that is destined to dominate the industry. Treat yourself, and dive into these stories. Bring a flashlight and a blanket, though. Double check the locks. What was that creaking noise from the darkened corner ?
  • Dark Before Dawn
  • The Hides (Timmy Quinn #2)
  • Sounds of Murder
  • Zombie Tales: Primrose Court Apt. 502
  • A Dead Red Oleander (A Dead Red, #3)
  • The Witch's Ladder (Tony Marcella Mystery, #1)
  • Hybrid
  • Ashes
  • The Gods of Dream
  • Devil's Eye (Mirus, #1.2)
  • The Wandering Earth
  • Changes (The Randall Lee Mysteries #1)
  • Stone Cold
  • The Lexical Funk
  • Pieces of a Rainbow
  • Where Darkness Dwells
  • Graveyard Games
  • Zachary Zombie and the Lost Boy
JASON MCINTYRE is the #1 Kindle Suspense author of THE NIGHT WALK MEN, bestsellers ON THE GATHERING STORM and SHED, plus the multi-layered literary suspense THALO BLUE. His short fiction has appeared in numerous magazines and won several awards.

His debut novel ON THE GATHERING STORM earned McIntyre a spot in the Top 20 Debut Authors for the Goodreads Choice Awards.

THE DEVIL'S RIGHT HAND is the lat...more
More about Jason McIntyre...
On The Gathering Storm Dark That Day, After All Road Markers Shed Thalo Blue