Sunday Suppers at Lucques: Seasonal Recipes from Market to Table

Sunday Suppers at Lucques: Seasonal Recipes from Market to Table

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  423 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Few chefs in America have won more acclaim than Suzanne Goin, owner of Lucques restaurant. A chef of impeccable pedigree, she got her start cooking at some of the best restaurants in the world–L’Arpège. Olives, and Chez Panisse, to name a few–places where she acquired top-notch skills to match her already flawless culinary instincts. “A great many cooks have come through t...more
Published February 19th 2009 by Knopf (first published November 8th 2005)

Andrea
The only reason I cannot put a 5th star here is that I do not use this book nearly enough to say that it's amazing.

I love the organization of the book first by season, and then within each season are a number of multi-course meals that you can mix and match. Many recipes are a bit too involved for a casual weeknight meal, and most are for more special-occasion dinners, but the few that I have tried so far were wonderful.

Riona
I had never even heard of Lucques before this cookbook made a big splash in the blogosphere a few years ago. I've had my copy for ages now but it's not one I reach for often. Something about this book is a little intimidating, though not all the recipes are complicated. I guess it's the perpetual problem of having too many cookbooks and not enough time to cook. And this is a real entertaining cookbook, not your everyday get-a-meal-on-the-table cookbook.

The book is divided into seasonal menus, ea...more
Tien
Update: Count that five things cooked. The best thing so far: lemon tart with a layer of chocolate. She says to use meyer lemons, but they are 50 cents EACH and seeing as how you need a good number to get the half cup you're supposed to get, pedestrian lemons from our lemon tree did the trick nicely. Also, I think the cult of the meyer lemon was started by rich Bay Area foodies who, fearing that the search for fancy food had percolated too far downward on the class scale, decided they needed yet...more
Yasmine Alfouzan
Suzanne Goin is one of my favorite female chefs. She's truly a role model: she knows good food, she's successful, she's fit and healthy, and her recipes are incredibly good. Basically everything I hope to be.
I wouldn't recommend this book for beginners, of course. Also, most of the ingredients aren't available in this part of town, but I don't think you need to stick to the script when it comes to cooking some things. Think of her menus/recipes as mere suggestions and you will get the most amaz...more
Andrea

This is an easy to follow passionate journey into creating meals that will be sumptuous and comforting! Suzanne is at ease with all of her ingredients, cooking,and sharing her stories. I can't wait to make a reservation for Sunday Supper at Lucques next time I am in Los Angeles. I am also looking forward to making some of these recipes at home. Carmelized bread pudding with chocolate and cinnamon will certainly become one of my winter desserts, no doubt about it! I can hardly wait to make a fen...more
Beverly
We got together as a group and made 8 dishes from this book. All were quite yummy. The only issue was that the recipe for harissa made a tasty paste that wasn't the least bit spicy. Remade it with different peppers than were called for (chile de arobol instead of ancho) and it was great.
The other dishes we made were: Young onion, bacon & cheese tart. Pomegranite and persimmon salad. Kobacha soup. Date, parmesan & blood orange salad. Tunisian lamb & Eggplant stew accompanied by hariss...more
tessa maria lalonde
I stagiaired at this place in the late summer/early fall this year and it totally blew my mind in about a million ways. Hm, okay maybe only one hundred ways, nonetheless it was an amazing experience. This book fills in the gaps of my notes and then some. The procedures, explanations of process are complete and informative and for the home cook, seem completely executable, and will most assuredly be delicious. This book will help you become a better cook and help you to enjoy food more. Good time...more
Catharine
If you ate these recipes every day, you would struggle to maintain a healthy weight. If you share them with friends occasionally, you'll be fine. Many of the recipes can be lightened up without removing the flavor. She includes some excellent vegetable recipes. We also liked the chicken stew we made with all her suggested ingredients but using a simplified method. This book is an inspiration to adventurous and experienced cooks!
shianlotta
Sep 16, 2007 shianlotta rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like to entertain
Shelves: cookbooks
everything i've ever made from this book has been ultra tasty and a hit. they're great for dinner parties, when you want to make something special. the photographs are beautiful, and the recipes are easy to follow, although they sometimes call for hard-to-find ingredients. i like that the recipes are arranged by season and presented in short menus, although i usually mix different menu items together.
Heather
Everything sounded delicious, and I would not hesitate to order anything if I saw the dish on a menu. However, some of the recipes are extremely time-intensive; there's a marinated peppers and eggplant recipe with a quote from Judy Rogers that reads, "Stop, think, there must be a harder way." I love marinated vegetables, but a long page of instructions seems a bit much.
Acacia
Aug 24, 2007 Acacia rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Eaters
What a beautiful book. Divided by season & including the produce you can expect to find at your local farmer's market in each season of the year. Recipes that make your mouth water and taste fabulous without fail. Totally worth the 37 hours you will spend in the kitchen to make that (insert holiday of choice) feast you've always dreamed about.
Charlotte
Some of these recipes are so elaborate, I don't know if I would ever attempt them, and, like many Californian chefs, there is very little acknowledgment that not everyone can get California produce. It would be nice to see some suggestions for substitutions. But this is a gorgeous book and has many many delicious recipes. And photos!
Stacey
May 07, 2009 Stacey is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I find most of these recipes too complicated to follow from start to finish; in fact, most chefs' cookbooks are like this. It is not easy to adapt restaurant recipes to the home kitchen, but I do like how it is divided into seasons, and I appreciate tweaking her recipes to fit into my less is more cooking style.
Karen
Though I haven't made anything from it, I will rate it 4 stars for the home cook. I have quite a few recipes flagged to copy. Her write-ups pre-recipe are interesting. Rob's famous coleslaw, Mary Jones from Cleveland's molasses cookies, curried English pea soup. The photography is pleasing.
Tracy
This is a beautifully photographed book with ideas for wonderful weekend meals using ingredients appropriate to each season. It's weekend food for sure--many things take several hours to cook. Nothing is overwhelmingly complicated, but it's all somewhat sophisticated takes on comfort food.
E
One of the best restaurant cook books ever. Amazing restaurant quality meals with easy instructions. I cooked one of the best meals of my life last night thanks to this one. So many to choose from. Highly recommend and can't wait for her A.O.C. cookbook to come out this month!
Mike
Really wonderful - if a little ornate - recipes for weekend type dinners.

I'm using the juniper marinade a lot for different pork preparations. This book also helped me love romesco sauce.
Emily
Nov 24, 2007 Emily rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cooks!
my favorite cookbook -- your meals will come out like a top restaurant dish! I love her combinations of ingredients and use of farm fresh seasonal items.
Catherine Woodman
Beautiful cookbook, but much too elaborate food for me to really use--loved to look at it, didn't find a recipe that I wanted to make.
Suz
Great recipes, gorgeous photos. I borrowed it from the library but now I'm going to have to go buy it...
Keswickian
One of my all time favorite cookbooks, the dishes in here are complex, refined and lovely.
Heather
I am seriously in love with this cookbook! I need to get myself to this restaurant in LA.
Mollie Chen
Jul 26, 2007 Mollie Chen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cooks
makes me wish i lived in california - try the financier recipe and any of the gorgeous salads
Joy
Recommended by Nora Ephron...
Jodi
Jodi marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
  • The Zuni Cafe Cookbook: A Compendium of Recipes and Cooking Lessons from San Francisco's Beloved Restaurant
  • All about Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking
  • Heart of the Artichoke: and Other Kitchen Journeys
  • Bouchon
  • Mangoes & Curry Leaves: Culinary Travels Through the Great Subcontinent
  • Fat: An Appreciation of a Misunderstood Ingredient, with Recipes
  • Alinea
  • The Lee Bros. Southern Cookbook: Stories and Recipes for Southerners and Would-Be Southerners
  • Arabesque: A Taste of Morocco, Turkey, and Lebanon
  • Saveur: The New Comfort Food: Home Cooking from Around the World
  • 1080 Recipes
  • Chez Panisse Cafe Cookbook
  • In the Kitchen with A Good Appetite: 150 Recipes and Stories About the Food You Love
  • Classic Indian Cooking
  • Peter Reinhart's Artisan Breads Every Day: Fast and Easy Recipes for World-Class Breads
  • Rustic Fruit Desserts: Crumbles, Buckles, Cobblers, Pandowdies, and More