Grunts

Grunts

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  6 reviews

In Grunts, renowned historian John C. McManus demonstrates that, from the invasion beaches of the Second World War to the deserts of the Middle East, the foot soldier has been the most indispensible-and most overlooked-factor in wartime victory.

Advances in weaponry have threatened to render the infantryman obsolete for centuries. Even today, precision-guided munitions, nu

Published August 3rd 2010 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published July 22nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Grunts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grunts

Chris Chester
A really great read, depending on why you decide to dig into it.

If you're looking for an enthralling perspective into the hairiest, most gritty infantry conflicts waged during the twentieth century, you're going to enjoy yourself quite a bit.

The evangelizing for the role of infantry in modern combat I feel more mixed about. McManus makes a pretty strong case that the American military machine places too great an emphasis on impersonal weapons systems in the naive belief that we can win wars with...more
Maria
McManus argues that it is boots on the ground that wins wars, not fancy weapons systems alone. Despite predictions for the last 60 years, it is the infantry men that have made the US military great. McManus walks the reader thru 7 battles from WWII to Iraq and explains what it was like to be there and what was necessary to win.

Why I started this book: I've been eye-balling this book for over a year. It looked fascinating (and it was!) but it was also big.

Why I finished it: It took me a while to...more
David
A scholarly, but very readable, advocacy for the conitnuing utility of the rifleman in an era of exotic warfare technology. Grunts present case histories from World War II through the current Middle Eastern conflicts to bolster this premise.

McManus, a respected military historian, really did his homework on this tome and it shows. His writing chops are nothing to sneeze at, either.
Dio Aufa Handoyo
World War II, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm, Iraq. This book presents the fact that throughout history, despite technological advances, the presence of infantry has always been irreplaceable in conflicts. A good read to balance the perception of how air and naval power alone can solely meet strategic warfare goals.
Spencer
Excellent perspective and analysis. Gruesome and descriptive battle descriptions. He is now one of my favorite authors...will definitely be reading his other works in the near future. I LOVE how he calls out bullshit, in all its various forms haha.
Angela
A retrospective anthology on the American infantry combat experience.I was principally interested in the Vietnam period; it is well laid out to research specific conflicts, and well-told.
Bozz
Bozz marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
David Chabot
David Chabot marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Tate
Tate marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Jessi
Jessi added it
Sep 15, 2014
Rashel
Rashel is currently reading it
Sep 08, 2014
Victor
Victor marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Marko Mehner
Marko Mehner marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Gabe
Gabe marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Peter
Peter added it
Aug 15, 2014
AJ MacRae
AJ MacRae marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Lynnette Chan
Lynnette Chan is currently reading it
Aug 11, 2014
Tric
Tric marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Mitchell
Mitchell marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Leeanne
Leeanne marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
September Hope: The American Side of a Bridge Too Far The Dead and Those About to Die: D-Day: The Big Red One at Omaha Beach Alamo in the Ardennes: The Untold Story of the American Soldiers Who Made the Defense of Bastogne Possible The Deadly Brotherhood: The American Combat Soldier in World War II The Americans at D-Day: The American Experience at the Normandy Invasion