Start by marking “The Other Side and Back” as Want to Read:
The Other Side and Back

The Other Side and Back

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,757 Ratings  ·  87 Reviews
"Psychic, medium, clairvoyant, channel--these are all words to describe Sylvia Browne's unique powers. I've personally witnessed her bring closure to distraught families, help the police close cases, and open people's hearts to help them see the good within themselves."—Montel Williams"The Other Side and Back is the most grounded and authentic 'entry to the other side' tha ...more
Published July 1st 2000 by Signet (first published August 1st 1999)

Ashlie Nelson
This book literally change my life and my faith. I was 21 when I first read this book on a whim. I was browsing the book isle while waiting on pictures to be developed at wallgreens when I saw this book and had remembered hearing about Sylvia Browne on TV and thought I would check it out.

I have change my belief systems many times over. I have been Baptist, Non-denominational, Wiccan, Buddhist and a few others. I have always been fascinated with death and life after death and searching for the o
Alisa
May 14, 2012 Alisa rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, grc, new-age
One of my elderly woman brought this book from the library, gave it to me, and told me to read it out loud to her.. next thing you know, over the time frame of 3 days, I have a group of people around me listening and we had very good conversation about this today. Yes.. it was a little heated at times because you have so many people and so many opinions, but all in all this was a great book. They really enjoyed it and so did I.. if not for what the book was about, then atleast for the fact that ...more
Karen Ng
Dec 30, 2012 Karen Ng rated it it was amazing
I am writing this review now 11 years later and to this day I live my life based on the beliefs Sylvia Browne has laid out in this book.

I read this book back in 2001 just after the loss of our daughter Victoria. It helped me a lot to understand the other side (Heaven) and why everything happens for a reason and how we choose our life before we come to this life or the body.

I will add to this review again after I read the book again.

I highly recommend this book to anyone that has lost a loved one
Jamila
Jun 16, 2010 Jamila rated it did not like it
Shelves: waste-of-time
I thought The Church of Scientology was ridiculous until I read this book. I have a very open mind and was looking into a lot of spiritual based books to give me insight after the death of a good friend which I did not find through the pages of this book.

Browns' “ideas” are so out there, they are ridiculous and demented! It is no surprise she appears on daytime talk shows. This book is meant for people who enjoy Jerry Springer and other trashy TV programs.

Brown tells us that “the other side” is
Emily
Aug 27, 2011 Emily rated it really liked it
Not everyone believes that Sylvia browne is a true Physic, me.. i dont know what i believe but i do know this Parts of this book rang true to me as it supported a few experiences that i have had, If your not a fan of Sylvia browne thats ok you dont have to be this is not a book of perdictions or anything truely Physic its is more or less a book about the other side told by those who believe they have seen it themselves
Maria Carmo
Even if I have some different perspectives regarding some of the subjects, it is a good book in as much it encourages people to be positive, have the courage to search for their own truth and not to put themselves under any external influence that may take away their dignity and well being. It is certainly written by someone who is filled with good "vibes" and I enjoyed reading it.

Maria Carmo

Lisbon 15th. August 2012.
Ann-Marie
Sep 07, 2009 Ann-Marie rated it it was amazing
As with any spiritual book, you take from it what you desire to know. I met Sylvia Brown before she became famous when I was 19 years old. I can attest to her amazing gifts. That being said, nothing is constant and predictions should be taken with a grain of salt. You are the creator of your path in life. If you are curious to matters beyond the physical existence, this is a great insight to those possibilities.
MizzSandie
Mar 10, 2012 MizzSandie rated it liked it
Shelves: own
This woman is apparently surrounded by controversy and a lot of people say she is a fraud, and of course she herself claims to be a true psychic. I don't know what to believe, to be honest, but the truth is i'm enjoying this book regardless. What's important to me isn't so much wether she really did and have seen all the things she says she did, or if they come true, I still find it an interesting read, and i like the overall messages in the book.
I definately think it's good to be skeptic about
Carole Rae
Apr 18, 2015 Carole Rae rated it really liked it
This is my second book I've read by Sylvia Browne. The first one I read was solely about reincarnation and near-death. That was really good and it reaffirmed my belief in reincarnation and spirit guides, so I've always been interested in Sylvia Browne's work since that book. Reece found this for me recently and I'm glad she did.

In this book she does talk a bit about spirit guides and reincarnation, but she mainly focuses on the "Other side" which is a form of heaven, but not your a-typical heave
Niamh Astriel
Sep 29, 2010 Niamh Astriel rated it did not like it
After going through a crisis of faith, I was sure that psychics could help restore my faith in the divine. After buying several of her books and reading them I was completely convinced that she would make a wonderful fiction writer. She has no talents. After reading her biography and reviews of her 'psychic' sessions I realized she was a complete fraud. Her ideas are absolutely looney. If she believes half of what she writes she's a nut.
Anne Marie
Jun 03, 2014 Anne Marie rated it really liked it
As I read this book, I kept comparing the thoughts of this psychic and author, Sylvia Browne, with Lorna Byrne, the author that can see angels. Lorna talks about our guardian angels, where Sylvia says we have a "spirit guide." Lorna seems to have more of a spiritualness about her, while Sylvia just wants to tell us all about her psychic readings and visions. Most of Sylvia's book really to me was telling us how to live a happy life, and be positive. I got very curious as to how Sylvia Browne pas ...more
Maizie
Jan 03, 2014 Maizie rated it really liked it
With her super natural abilities she tells what happens when you die. You might not believe but she makes a skeptic change there mind. Her books are very informing and leaves you only wanting more. If your not sure pick up the book read a few pages and you just might change your view. she is a very intelligent women who has knowledge to share even if you don't believe in what she does it doesn't hurt to expand your knowledge.
Letticia
Since I was a child, I always liked Sylvia. I always vibed with what she was saying. The first time I read one of her books was last summer sometime. I liked most of that book, and flew through it. I have to say her writing style is very simple and easy to read, so even though I'm a slow reader, I can get through it quickly.

This book took me a little longer to get through, and at times it felt like a chore. (I don't like reading to feel like a chore!) There were quite a few anecdotes in this bo
Melissa Knotts
Aug 13, 2008 Melissa Knotts rated it liked it
I read this book for a paper I was writing in college on psychics. It was extremely interesting whether you believe her or not or in afterlife itself. The extremely detailed and discriptive way she speaks of angels, ghosts, our spirit guides etc. is very interesting and really makes you think and wonder about all the things that might be out there.
Marla
Jan 26, 2008 Marla rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those who would like to rethink a concept
Recommended to Marla by: a friend
Shelves: spiritual
I really need to read a few more of her books. This one fascinated me! I think my (by far) favorite part was when she explains how our children choose us. I was so overwhelmed with this idea that I immediately went to my son and put my arms around him in a hug and told him "Thank you for choosing me as your mother."
Amber
Jan 25, 2013 Amber rated it liked it
This was interesting and a lot of it was really nice to think about, but I still feel skeptical. But, I think that's okay though! Despite my skepticism it was still an interesting read and I would recommend it to others wanting to learn more about the different "afterlives."
Abby
Oct 24, 2012 Abby rated it it was amazing
Great intro and reference book to The Other Side. Covers the basics of metaphysical/spiritual concepts. Sort of reminded me of the 'Handbook for the Recently Deceased' in Beetlejuice. Looking forward to reading 'Life on the Other Side.'
Deanna
Jun 22, 2010 Deanna rated it really liked it
This book has helped me so much. When I read any of her books she makes me feel so positive about life. I've learned to worry less and look at death as another adventure and not the end.
Sue
Jan 12, 2012 Sue rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, read-2012
Enjoyed this book. I found i comforting and feel the affirmations at the end of the book important to add to my daily routine.
Emelie
This kind of spirituality has come to feel to dopey for me lately.
Melissa Gritton-bell
She has some wise words about life, and dealing with it's struggles! Is she psychic, and everything she claims to be? I can't say, but I can say this has been a very interesting read..and has hit many parts of my life dead on! Pretty disappointed that she predicted aliens would be here in 2010, and as far as I know THAT never happened! Lol!! ;) In the end she is very inspirational, so if you're looking for that and have an open mind.. This book is for you!
Daniel Booke
Jan 07, 2013 Daniel Booke rated it it was ok
My fiancé asked me to read this book because she felt that it had helped her with her life and that it would do the same for me. I had seen Sylvia on Montel many times back in the day and thought to myself “what a crock”. Unfortunately, this held true for this book as well. For a while she had me going, thinking that she truly believed what she was saying, until I got to the end where she makes her predictions for the new millennium. None of which have come true by 2013, and just reaffirmed my b ...more
Gemma Ross
Oct 26, 2015 Gemma Ross rated it liked it
I first seen her on Oprah in the 90s and I wanted to read her book. Took me a long time but I was not disappointed. She talks about her past psychic work and her beliefs. I am amazed on her abilities and predictions not to mention the advice she gives the reader. Looking forward to reading her other books that she has published
Cathryn Wirth
Jun 20, 2015 Cathryn Wirth rated it really liked it
mind ============ Blowing! " in a metaphorical sense" and worth reading for all you spiritualist, although I didn't agree with the " ages" of all in heaven, aren't we already in heaven?
Tasha Luke
Dec 06, 2014 Tasha Luke rated it liked it
A good read...she was very controversial and labeled a fraud in her later years but her words and books do give some comfort and peace. This book is good as long as reader isn't expecting too much.
Sandra Mckenzie
Mar 01, 2014 Sandra Mckenzie rated it it was amazing
I loved her writings. So very sorry to see her pass, but envy she is home. She was a very gifted woman with a courageous heart. Thank you for all that you did, and the legacy that you've left. BB
Jordan Chaput
Sep 13, 2014 Jordan Chaput rated it liked it
I liked the book as a whole, some I really agreed with, some of it seemed a little too much for me. Was very helpful in grieving process.
Bradley
Mar 22, 2014 Bradley rated it liked it
Positive energy material. Enlightening stuff, but not for me. I did pick up a few tidbits, but this book is off to listia. =)
Penelope Brown
Sep 01, 2014 Penelope Brown rated it really liked it
This book was better than some of her others. More description would be nice, but it was an entertaining read.
Sue
Jan 27, 2008 Sue rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Curious about the Other Side?
Recommended to Sue by: Mom
I like Sylvia's style of writing. She is witty and interjects with many amusing things. Sometimes I find myself laughing out loud.

I am currently reading this book and find it fascinating. For me it's an exploration which I remember to take with a grain-of-salt but I can't help but think it all make sense. And thoughts that I had before... are coalescing together. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to study spirituality and work on it.
This book was witty, quick, and smart. It really urges
  • One Last Time
  • Talking to Heaven: A Medium's Message of Life After Death
  • My Life With Sylvia Browne
  • Healing with the Angels: How the Angels Can Assist You in Every Area of Your Life
  • Saved by the Light: The True Story of a Man Who Died Twice and the Profound Revelations He Received
  • Hello from Heaven: A New Field of Research-After-Death Communication Confirms That Life and Love Are Eternal
  • The Eagle and the Rose: A Remarkable True Story
  • Edgar Cayce: The Sleeping Prophet
  • Life Among the Dead
  • Embraced By The Light
  • When Ghosts Speak: Understanding the World of Earthbound Spirits
Sylvia Browne is a number one New York Times–bestselling author and world-famous psychic. She has appeared regularly on The Montel Williams Show and Larry King Live and has made countless other media and public appearances. She is also the founder of a church, the Society of Novus Spiritus, which will celebrate its twenty-fifth anniversary in 2011.
More about Sylvia Browne...

“Death is the Graduation of the Soul” 23 likes