A Boy and His Bot

A Boy and His Bot

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  27 reviews
It started as an ordinary school field trip. The bus pulled up; the kids got off. Their teacher told them where to explore and what to look out for. But when Code Lightfall spots what appears to be a tiny metallic bee, his world will never be the same again . . . literally.

This “bee” leads Code from his world into Mekhos—the land of robots. And with bizarre robotic creatur...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published January 11th 2011 by Listening Library (Audio)

Tom
Listened in the car on audiobook with my family. If I was reading it on my own, I'd never have gotten through it. I know people who know Daniel Wilson, so I wanted to give this a try, even though it didn't look my style. Yeah, even worse than I thought. It was like a mix of The Wizard of Oz, Labyrinth, The Neverending Story, and things like that. But I like those, and I disliked this. It just didn't work for me at all.

Nothing really offensive here. Since Wilson actually knows robotics (PhD and a...more
Marcel Kupka
Vyjádřím se ukázkou. A ano, vidím v tom Alenku v říši divů... hlavně tu "steampunkovou", kterou natočil Tim Burton:)

Teď se už začal opravdu bát. Nejenže se ocitl sám v podivném nehybném lese plném robotických zvířat – ale teď ještě ke všemu tohle – kovová stěna složená z nohou pádících jako o závod. Od zářící překážky se zvedal vítr, který mu cuchal vlasy. Musím tu zeď nějak překonat, pomyslel si. Pískla jediná zřejmě zná cestu. Najdu ji a pak se odtud dostanu, slíbil si. Zpátky nahoru na pahore...more
Seth Heasley
Daniel H. Wilson's first foray into juvenile fiction is full of whimsy and charm and comes with one of the more delightful characters you'd ever want to read: Gary the Atomic Slaughterbot. Just check out this encounter between Code Lightfall and the threatening Gary as Code realizes that he can order the bot around:

"Wait. You're my atomic slaughterbot?"
Gary paused. "That's right. And who are you?"
"I'm Code, and I need to ask you for a favor."
"Anything for you, Code." Gary waited for Code's c...more
The Styling Librarian
A Boy and His Bot by Daniel H. Wilson – 4/5th grade and up – Science Fiction – I listened to this book because it recently popped up on a review list. I enjoyed actually listening to a solid science fiction book that had a fascinating robot/technology world and an interesting adventure. I loved the angst and decisions that Code has to grapple with throughout the adventure. I was curious how this book would conclude because the author kept you listening/reading until the last moment and then fini...more
Jeff Raymond
YA book by the scientific mastermind Daniel H Wilson, possibly best known for his book Where's My Jetpack? This was an interesting, differently-styled read about a boy who follows a small...something into a hole and ends up in a robot universe where his grandfather disappeared to and where an evil robot, Immortalis, is looking to begin the "Disassembly" and end the world that they're in.

It's a humorous sci-fi adventure, with a lot more action in the story than I had expected. Far from perfect,...more
Matt
I can never understand why some books click children and the greater reading community at large and others do not. This one is a little on the complex side and may be hard to follow for some children, but the same can be said for most of the Harry Potter series.

Anyway, the main character, Code, gets transported to a robot wonderland when checking out an Indian burial mound on a school field trip. His granfather had disappeared there years earlier and finds that he too has become a prisoner of th...more
Laurie
Listened to this with my boys. They loved it. My oldest (3rd grader) said he would happily re-read this.
It was cute. Sometimes I thought the descriptions got to be a bit much.
Steven
pretty good kids book about a boy and his robot.
fast read.
Kay Leslie
Not my kind of book but I could see where a 4th or 5th grader really into robots would love this book. But it is a well written story with a very interesting ending.
Code Lightfall goes on a field trip to the ancient mounds in Oklahoma. There is finds the entrance to the world of Mekkos, which is completely made up of robots. He travels through this world on an adventure to help save the robots from "disassembling".
Jessica
This was a highly unusual book, with shades of WALL-E, HITCHHIKERS' GUIDE TO THE GALAXY, Asimov's robot stories, all mixed together with strong doses of humor and adventure. I read it aloud to my six-year-old, who was probably a bit young for it, but who loves robots and thoroughly enjoyed the book. I know that he'll get a bigger kick out of it, reading it for himself in a couple of years.
Rebecca
This book is hilarious. It's kind of like Stone Soup because you can find a little bit of everything in the book! So far I've figured out that it is made up of Peter Pan (tinkerbell), Alice in Wonderland, The Wizard of Oz, Star Wars (the Jawas robot factory), Percy Jackson, Jack and the Beanstalk, Amlia Earhart's Electra airplane, and Star Trek (Nomad episode).
Stacy
Started slow for me (typical grandpa-goes-missing-and-misfit-kid-goes-looking-for-him-only-to-fall-into-secret-magical-world-that-only-he-can-save storyline), but gradually picked up steam and finished strongly. I really loved Gary, whom I can only describe as a cuddly slaughterbot, if there is such a thing. Solid sci-fi recommendation for grades 4 and up.
Matt
A nice little story about a boy who is transported to an alternate world of robots. I liked the main characters Code, Peep, and Gary the slaughterbot. A Boy and His Bot is a nice adventure story with some fun scenes. I enjoyed reading it and wouldn't mind seeing Code Lightfall some more in the future.

Good book.
Kaulin
I thought that it was very well written from cover to cover. It was very action packed & didn't loose my interest in any part of the book. It was very well constructed, it was very organized. I just really liked it! It was the perfect length too.
Matt Piechocinski
I had high hopes for this, but even if I were the age group at which it was aimed, I would think this outing by Wilson kinda lame. Definitely start out with Robopocalypse or Amped ... especially the latter.
Mallory
I probably would have enjoyed it more if Code had been a girl, or if there had been any major female characters in the book at all, but I thoroughly enjoyed it anyway.
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
Great for 3rd-5th grade boys that loved to play with Transformers when they were younger and/or are really into technology.
Mary
Really good science fiction for a younger reader. I actually listened to this book and the narrator made it even better.
Beth O'Connell
Kids might like this, as it's really straightforward and there are lots of adventures. I found the writing kind of wooden.
Rodrigo Castillo
some parts of this book make happy and others sad but i love the happy ending.
my children love this book too.
Tressa
A Boy and His Bot didn't interest me even though the narration was quite good.
Brad Kelln
Kind of fun but more like a little kid book.
Jonathan
i think the story is nice from code
Charli
Mar 11, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
SM
Jeni
Jeni marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Katie Day
Katie Day marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
  • Young Fredle (Davis Farm, #2)
  • The Resisters #1: The Resisters
  • The Island of Thieves
  • The Robe Of Skulls (Tales from the Five Kingdoms, #1)
  • The Wolf Age (Morlock Ambrosius, #3)
  • Behind the Bookcase
  • The Ogre Of Oglefort
  • The Fenway Foul-Up (Ballpark Mysteries, #1)
  • The Prairie Thief
  • Kid vs. Squid
  • Set Me Free (Tomorrow Girls, #4)
  • Atticus for the Undead
  • Z. Rex
  • Beware Of The Storybook Wolves
  • The End of Time (The Books of Umber, #3)
  • The Zombie Chasers
  • The Awakening (Cyberevolution, #0.5)
  • Rabbityness
Daniel H. Wilson grew up in Tulsa, Oklahoma. He earned a Ph.D. in Robotics from Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh. He lives and writes in Portland, Oregon.
More about Daniel H. Wilson...
Robopocalypse (Robopocalypse, #1) Amped How to Survive a Robot Uprising: Tips on Defending Yourself Against the Coming Rebellion Where's My Jetpack?: A Guide to the Amazing Science Fiction Future That Never Arrived How to Build a Robot Army: Tips on Defending Planet Earth Against Alien Invaders, Ninjas, and Zombies