Start by marking “The Gospel According to John” as Want to Read:
The Gospel According to John

The Gospel According to John (Pillar New Testament Commentary)

4.53 of 5 stars 4.53  ·  rating details  ·  544 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Intended for preachers, Bible study leaders, and the informed layperson, this commentary examines the flow of the text, draws a few lines towards establishing how the Fourth Gospel contributes to biblical and systematic theology, and offers this Gospel as an evangelistic Gospel.
Published December 1st 1990 by William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about The Gospel According to John, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gospel According to John

Ryan Bates
Excellent commentary on John. One of my favorites of any book. Carson is the premiere scholar on the gospels and the life of Jesus. He gives wonderful pastoral insight while crafting his study with love and diligence. He provides great overviews and exalts Christ in every chapter. He still gets rather deep with his handling of Greek and pointing out and critiquing other views on various theological stances, which may overwhelm the average reader looking for devotional material. But he brings it ...more
In the process of studying the writings of John I kept seeing various commentators making reference to Carson. I have a friend who is also a big fan of Carson's works so both of these things influenced me to buy this work. This book actually exceeded any expectations I had. I cannot decide what is the best work on John but it is certainly between F.F. Bruce and this one.

First I would like to say that Carson is very articulate and exact. He is not given to fanciful fits of imagination of clumsy e
Andy Hickman
Reliable reference work!
The Gospel of John is formally anonymous. Many scholars, such as Blomberg, Carson, Morris and Bauckham, see sufficient internal evidence to suggest that the disciple John, the son of Zebedee, is the author of the Fourth Gospel. Morris points out that the author apparently knew facts firsthand (1:14; 18:13; 19:35). Furthermore, there is also external evidence that Irenaeus, who knew Polycarp who knew John, acknowledged the same. (p68-72)

Carson suggests a date around AD
Dave Courtney
I recently found myself motivated to work my way through the Gospel of John, for which Carson's thorough commentary provided a decent support. I have found my time in John's Gospel to touch on some deeply personal issues and emotions. It is interesting as I was first pushed to reread it following a discussion with an old friend, one who walked away from the Christian faith years back and who had been recently challenged himself to read through the Gospel of John. The challenge was to see if fres ...more
Graham Heslop
Well deserving of its status as the must-read commentary on John's Gospel, which might call into question my rating. The thematic depth, scholarly breadth and linguistically technical aspects of this work make it a seminal piece for any serious work in the fourth Gospel. Carson deals with most of the debates surrounding interpretation, as well as the final form of the text, while providing detailed footnotes where one can find treatment of and engagement with all the technical works (along with ...more
This is the best commentary on the Gospel of John. I also liked Leon Morris and Kostenberger, but I found this commentary so helpful as I preached through John.
Top level conservative commentary on John. A must read commentary on this book.
16 May 2015
I like the Pillar commentaries very much for my personal Bible study. Infinitely readable, this exegetical and expository commentary on John is full of thoughts to ponder and insights that enrich my study.

Today, I am reading about Jesus' encounter with the Samaritan woman, John 4. Carson gives me a greater understanding of the Samaritan's view of God as opposed to Judah's ongoing revelatory relationship with God. At the same time, I am reading 2 Kings and the fall of both kingdoms - S
Mar 25, 2013 Greg rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: bible
This is an evangelical commentary. If you are a liberal protestant or Catholic, buyer beware. It is well done as an evangelical commentary and Carson shows himself to have mastered the scholarly material on the subject. Regarding, author, date, provenance of the Gospel, he vigorously defends the Early Church Fathers' tradition (even though it has problems internally with the text)--compare his treatment with that of Ramsey Michaels' in the evangelical New International Commentary on the New Test ...more
John Brackbill
I read this commentary straight through and hands down it is the best commentary I worked with through a series through the gospel. Even if I disagreed with the interpretation Carson was so clear that I knew why I disagreed with it and what exactly I was disagreeing with. However, many times Carson put it in a way that brought things together for me as I wrestled with the text. Sell your shirt and get it if you are planning on preaching through the gospel of John.
Clayton Tune
This is a fairly good read. I don't mean, grab a blanket and cuddle up next to the dog for a good sunday afternoon adventure, but for getting a good look at John, this is worth having. It's at the very least, a good starting point for an in depth study.
Heath Waldeier
The best commentary I read on The Gospel of John.
Kent Maitland
Profound insights; Immaculate writing style; Thoroughly Evangelical; Honest observations regarding eschatologically poignant passages.

No translation of the Greek text; Slim citation of sources; Notwithstanding Carson's ability to produce incredibly profound insights, he may be a little too novel at times.

Bottom Line:
As is characteristic of most all of his work, Carson has produced a commentary that is both unparalleled in its profundity and unusually head-scratching.
Excellent commentary of John's Gospel. Carson also has a helpful introduction that interacts with many of the questions about authorship, reliability, textual criticism, historical culture of the time, purpose and theological emphasis of the Gospel. Carson is orthodox, scholarly, and pastoral in his treatment of the text. His should be one of the standard commentaries you go to when studying John.
A bit dated and difficult to read, but certainly not a bad commentary on John. Carson would have benefited from more interaction with scholarship and less vague illusions that made his work difficult to walk through. It is perhaps best for pastors/laypersons as a reference text and for scholars/students dealing with Carson's views—which are certainly not groundbreaking or fresh.
At first glance, this seemed to be a really dense commentary, but once I dipped into other commentaries I found this to be an extremely useful source. One of the best commentaries on John that I had come across. Carson is very thorough in his explanations and seems to address many of the questions I had concerning this book of the Bible.
Steve Shuford
I am currently reading this book for my class on the Fourth Gospel. I think that it is the best book that I have read about John from a theological standpoint. I think that it is important to take all things into account when studying the Word (author, audience, situation, etc). Carson effectively does just that in this work.
Beniamin Enache
Very accurate commentary, strong greek grammar exegesis. D.A. Carson offers a large commentary with various views on the controversial texts. He leaves nothing untreated.
Marty Taylor
Outstanding insights from Carson. He is also very careful to provide alternative / competing interpretations and to help guide the reader through evidences for and against. Incredibly helpful for an in-depth study of John's gospel.
Bart Box
Carson's work remains the best commentary on the Gospel of John. It's thorough without being overly long. The Pillar series is one of my favorites, and this is one of the more outstanding in that outstanding series.
This is an updated commentary from his previous Eerdman's commentary. He makes changes in interpretation and explains why his view is superior to his previous view. Great help.
The best commentary on the Gospel of John by a contemporary - DA Carson is a first rate scholar. I am thankful for all his hard work on in the text!
Probably too technical for casual students, but very informative and interesting. Carson's poems in the book are a nice surprise.
Talbot Course: Introduction to Exegesis

Excellent Commentary on John! READ ANYTHING by D.A. Carson! This guy rocks!
I've not read this commentary straight through. But I've gone back to it again and again, and always with profit.
Ryan Linkous
This is the best commentary on John I've read. Carson deals with major issues, but his commentary reads unlike others.
Jacob McGill
This started out promising, but ended up being mediocre. I would not use it as a primary text to study John.
Amy Hardison
This is an amazing commentary. One of my very favorites, definitely my favorite on the book of John.
Justin Dillehay
Read this for a class on John's gospel. If you have to buy one commentary on John, this is the one to get.
Allen Battle
One of best commentaries I ever read. Especially useful for teaching and preaching.
  • The Epistle to the Romans
  • The Letter to the Ephesians
  • Romans
  • The Letters of John: (Tyndale New Testament Commentaries)
  • The Book of the Acts, Revised
  • Paul's Letter to the Philippians
  • Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament
  • Genesis
  • The Gospel According to John, Revised
  • The Book of Revelation, Revised
  • 1 Peter (Tyndale New Testament Commentaries)
  • The Gospel of Matthew
  • Genesis 1-15 (Word Biblical Commentary #1)
  • A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament & Other Early Christian Literature
D.A. Carson is research professor of New Testament at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School in Deerfield, Illinois. He has been at Trinity since 1978. Carson came to Trinity from the faculty of Northwest Baptist Theological Seminary in Vancouver, British Columbia, where he also served for two years as academic dean. He has served as assistant pastor and pastor and has done itinerant ministry in Cana ...more
More about D.A. Carson...

Pillar New Testament Commentary (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Gospel According to Matthew
  • The Gospel According to Mark
  • The Acts of the Apostles
  • Paul's Letter to the Romans (Pillar New Testament Commentary)
  • The First Letter to the Corinthians
  • The Letter to the Ephesians
  • The Letter to the Philippians
  • The Letters to the Colossians and to Philemon
  • The Letters to the Thessalonians
  • The Letter to the Hebrews

“To have faith in the gospel message is not the same thing as responding positively to the story of Superman, who is also said to invade our turf from beyond. Although biblical faith has a major ‘subjective’ or ‘personal’ or ‘existential’ component, it depends even more on its object - on the other side of the ‘window’.” 1 likes
“The relevant social barriers of first-century Palestine may not have been that strong in any case: rabbis were expected to gain a skilled trade apart from their study (thus Paul was a leather-worker), so that the stratification that divided the teacher from the manual labourer in Stoic and other circles of the hellenistic world was not a significant factor in much of Palestine.” 0 likes