Start by marking “Innocent Fire (Bragg Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
Innocent Fire (Bragg Saga, #1)

Innocent Fire (Bragg Saga #1)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  631 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Leaving behind the sheltered life of a French convent, Miranda journeyed to the New World and an arraged marriage to a prosperous Texan rancher. Arriving in America, the innocent European met her fiance's freind Derek Bragg, a rough-hewn Texas Ranger, whose harsh manner and candid comments about her beauty enraged the shy miss. Although Bragg fought to deny his feelings fo ...more
Published October 6th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Innocent Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Innocent Fire

Joy (joyous reads)
Surprisingly enough, my foray into Historical Romance started off quite well – though not without instances of frustration with the heroine. Set at a time when women were raised to be pure and virginal until they find the worthy males to have their children, it was hard not to snigger at how ridiculous the dictates of what was proper and what wasn't.

Anyway, this saga starts off with the story of Miranda, an English belle who was to marry a Texan rancher. Escorted by Derek Bragg a half-breed Ran
Regan Walker
1st in Bragg Series a Fast Moving Western Romance

I have seen the low reviews on this one and I just don't agree. First, you can't tell this story without rape. Not to give away the plot but it isn't gratuitous violence; it very much reflects the times and the threat every woman faced on the frontier. Although at times Miranda's life looks a bit like the Perils of Pauline with more dire consequences, it is still believable. Second, I don't agree with the one who said it was slow. It does slow a b
Barbara M.
2 Stars...It was ok

Wait! Don't boo me yet...

I'm a huge fan of Brenda Joyce...I've really liked most of her books and the rest of the "Bragg Saga", but Innocent wasn't as great as I was expecting it to be considering the others in the series were good. I really like the "older" Miranda (the grown up mom you meet in the others)...but the young Miranda just absolutly grated...and I mean grated on my nerves.

I still can't believe Joyce repeated the same scenes over and over and over again. Maybe this
Mary
I have read 262 pages and there are 370 of them. I won't continue.
It's bad.
Miranda, female character is not likeable at all. I just can't accept that women then didn't know anything about sex, rape, kisses. She is always so scared and the only thing that is interesting about her is her beauty. Well, that's so stupid I must say. I'm sick of these beautiful stupid girls that everyone want just because they are pretty. Damn, give me one normal looking girl who will charm everyone with their humou
Jessica
I gave this 2 stars because of all the predictable drama. I thought the heroine (Miranda) was extremely annoying. One minute she wants to please her husband, the next she is too spineless to follow through. She did however make up for that in the end, I thought. She was able to stand for what she wanted; it just took earth-shaking situations for that to happen. It was a little too late for me by then to like her and I wanted to throw the book across the room. Derek Bragg (the hero) was very unde ...more
jenjn79
Sarita
I couldn't put this book down! Amazing!

1850's
This is story of a young girl who starts of seeing her parents arguing and her father abusing her mother. She tries to intervene and he slaps her in the process of his anger getting the best of him. As the reader we don't know if this was a recurring incident, or if it was a one time issue. The mother feared for her daughter thus taking herself and the young girl to a convent in France. The father finds them and talks the wife into returning home with
Mary Lauer
I started this after starting Deadly Love, thinking it might give insight into the hero in DL (same family, diff generation). If I had read this book ~25 years ago when it came out I might have liked it more. As it was, it hit ALL the romance cliches. She is VERY young and VERY innocent, he is rough and tumble. She is kidnapped not once, not twice, but THREE time and raped, which is definitely not pleasant to read about. I am definitely over the scared virgin heroines and want a heroine who owns ...more
Van Do
If you love reading about helpless heroine who keeps getting rapped again and again. This is the book for you. For the life if me, I have never read such a book as this. I was shocked, horrified, disgusted, and totally disturbed. I couldn't sleep for two nights thinking about how badly the female is treated by all those males. And she's only 17. Thanks for this book, I am now scarred for life.

Lukman Manggo

Its is story about Miranda, who fall in love to "ugly" Texas Ranger on her way to met her fiance in Texas. Miranda as the little English aristocrat;a innocent brat who grow up in the France convent, met the wild ugly manner of Texas surrounding.
On their way to her fiance ranch, Miranda found Bragg as a handsome ruthless heathen man that she hate very much. As an Indian Apache, Bragg had a duty to get Miranda safe to the his fiance ranch, John.
She had fall in love with Bragg even she didn't admi
Heidi
An OK read. There was potential here but several weaknesses emerged. The heroine was overwhelmingly insipid with her innocence. I really needed to see more backbone and less tears. Episodes of déjà vu also occurred with some scenes reoccurring with noted similarity. I just didn't need to go over the same ground again.
Stefanie
I liked this book quite well. Derek is a great guy. He's a bit rough, but he loves Miranda and there's nothing he wouldn't do for her.
The story was told very well and it made me feel for Miranda. So many things happened to her. You can see her change from a naive young girl into a mature woman.
There is one BUT. I would have liked it much more if Miranda had been a stronger heroine. Sometimes she is such a child. On the other hand, the way she acts just fits with the time period. If you read ab
Kate
Well, I was dubious when I started this book series and it did nothing to allay my fears.
The writing style is dull, predictable and very stereo typical of many 'romance' books.
I was hoping that the Wild West edge to it would introduce some action but even when the plot picked up I found it not able to capture my attention.
I stopped halfway through this book, when I realised that I didn't really care about what happened to each character; I never give up on a book but life's too short.
Okay as a r
Beverly
Loved the entire Bragg Series
Brenda
This was the first Brenda Joyce book I've every read, also it was my first real romance novel. I must say Brenda Joyce is now one of my all time authors. I ,ve tryed to read evey book she ever wrote, I getting close but not there yet.The leading man in this book is to die for! Brenda Joyce is an AWESOME author and recommed her to anyone, if you dont llike romance she will chang your outlook, Im srious. Brenda Joyce Your Are AWESOME!!!
Jeanne
Miranda grew up in a French convent, sheltered from the way of the world. Her English father betrothes her to a Texas rancher she's never met. When she arrives in America she is greeted by her fiance's friend, the handsome, half-Apache Texas Ranger. He is to escort her to Texas but he has developed feelings for his charge and she was drawn to her protector. You can imagine the jest of the story set in the wilds of early Texas.
Helena
I'm so glad that writers don't torture their heroins so badly as in this book.. Book is interesting, I liked the story that has been told, and main characters are great, I loved innocence of main heroine but sometimes it was quite annoying.. Luckily there was Texsas reneger, who showed her how to love and be loved...
Diana Dupre
Mostly a good story, interesting time period in America and good descriptions. I was getting frustrated with her prudeness, I have to admit. Which likely is what the author was going for. The feeling of frustration for the girl and because of her at the same time.

I’d read this one again.
Dayatara
I read this book a few years ago. It was good but it ended up being a little too much for me. I hated the way (view spoiler) Ultimately, it was a nice love story.
Soub
Not bad.. Its the first book I read of her so am quite impress by her..
For the story i liked it, it kept surprising me, hence made me wanna know what happens next.. BUt the thing which disturbs me is i wanted to know what happened between Miranda mum and dad.
Vicki
I absolutely loved this book...can't wait to read the rest of the Bragg Saga. This book has just become one of my favorites.
Rachel
I liked this book although it's not one of the greatest romances I've ever read.
Mercedes Keyes
Shocking and electrifying, loved it! There's three more I believe!
Saral
I could have been better if it hadn't dragged on and on and on
Marilyn
Derek Bragg meets Miranda and escorts her to Texas. Pub 1988.
Delilah Mack
Braggs are another great series by Ms. Joyce!
Abigail Campbell
it was so enticing and captures the readers
  • The Copeland Bride
  • Risk Everything (The Blackthorn Trilogy, #3)
  • Sunset Embrace (Coleman Family Saga #1)
  • The Maiden Bride
  • Crimson Rapture
  • Gypsy Lady
  • Love and War (Coltrane, #1)
  • Night in Eden
  • True Heart
  • Wicked Promise (Clayton #1)
  • The Reward (Malloy Family, #3)
  • The Perfect Mistress (Mistress, #2)
  • The Heart Breaker (Rocky Mountain, #2)
  • Gabriel's Bride
  • All the Sweet Tomorrows (O'Malley Saga #2)
  • The Lawman's Bride
  • Sweet Lullaby
  • Crash Into Me
Brenda Joyce is the bestselling author of forty-one novels and five novellas. She has won many awards, and her debut novel, Innocent Fire, won a Best Western Romance award. She has also won the highly coveted Best Historical Romance award for Splendor and Two Lifetime Achievement Awards from Romantic Times BOOKreviews. There are over 14 million copies of her novels in print and she is published in ...more
More about Brenda Joyce...

Bragg Saga (7 books)
  • Firestorm (The Bragg Saga, Book 2)
  • Violet Fire (Bragg Saga, #3)
  • Dark Fires (Bragg Saga, #4)
  • Fires of Paradise (Bragg Saga, #5)
  • Scandalous Love (Bragg Saga, #6)
  • Secrets (Delanza Family, #1), (The Bragg Saga, #7)
Dark Rival (Masters of Time, #2) The Conqueror Dark Seduction (Masters of Time, #1) Dark Embrace (Rose Trilogy, #1; Masters of Time Series, #3) Dark Victory (Rose Trilogy, #2; Masters of Time, #4)