Start by marking “Scott Pilgrims vs. The World: Precious Little Life Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Scott Pilgrims vs. The World: Precious Little Life Volume 1

Scott Pilgrims vs. The World: Precious Little Life Volume 1 (Scott Pilgrim #1)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  83,989 ratings  ·  2,098 reviews
He′s 23 years old, he′s in a rock band, he′s "between jobs," and he′s dating a cute high school girl. Nothing could possibly go wrong, unless a seriously mind-blowing, dangerously fashionable, rollerblading delivery girl named Ramona Flowers starts cruising through his dreams and sailing by him at parties. Will Scott′s awesome life get turned upside-down? Will he have to f ...more
Published 2010 by Fourth Estate (first published August 18th 2004)

Traci Haley
I debated what to rate this graphic novel. On the one hand, the characters are thoroughly unlikable. Scott Pilgrim is a vapid, useless lump of a man who is dating a high schooler because that's the level of his maturity/emotional intelligence. Ramona Flowers is standoffish and rude because it makes her look "cool". The only redeeming character was Wallace, the gay roommate. On the other hand, once introductions got over, during the last scene of the book (the concert and Scott's fight with the f ...more
Sparrow
Scott Pilgrim is so how I see the world. I’m sure it’s because of the years of doing almost nothing but playing Mario Bros in my childhood, but the levels and energy bars and coins, etc. as applied to mundane life things are so perfect to me. Also, the characters. Oh, the characters. Scott Pilgrim is such a rad character because he is so douchey, but still somewhat sympathetic, and everyone spends the whole story pointing out his doucheyness. I just really love a story that calls a douche a douc ...more
Keely
After the slow trudge through Shelley's 'The Last Man', I decided to switch to some lighter fare. It's about time I got back to my comic book to-read pile, anyways. So I pulled out Scott Pilgrim.

I've heard a lot about the book in comic book circles, and it's been overwhelmingly positive. Despite this, I've been somewhat wary of the 'trendy hipster' label it's been saddled with, but that gets thrown around too much, and I figured beyond the trendy elements, I'd get snatched up by something deeper
Caris
If there’s anyone listening, hear this: don’t you ever, and I mean fucking ever, choose James Joyce’s Ulysses for a book report/class project/extra credit assignment. Skip that bastard, I warn you now.

Moving on.

This, folks, was my first graphic novel. Ever. And, honestly, I don’t think the experience could have been much better. The dialogue is snappy and clever, the plot is fun, and the characters are interesting. I was blown away.

Let me take you back in time for a moment.

When I was ten, I trie
Brendon Schrodinger
Am I too old to like Scott Pilgrim?

I just don't care for a main character who is in his twenties, has no job, sleeps (the zzzzzzzz kind) with his roomate, dates a high school girl and cheats on her with a kinda cool delivery girl.

How is this guy attractive to women at all?

Back in my day...

This graphic novel made me feel old.

Scott Pilgrim is a bit of a dick and it is hard to cheer for him when he is fighting his girlfriends ex boyfriends. I think the only way the author manages to make us on his
Aaron
Before I begin I just like to say was no doubt and hesitation that this is probably one of the best comic books ever!

Why is this book so good? Its fun, it's funny, it's clever and it leaves you wanting more. If you love relationship books you will love this book, if you love books that make you laugh you will love this book, if you love comic books in general you will love this book!

The story centers around…. Well…. Scott Pilgrim. Scott lives in Toronto Canada which for me having grown up in Tor
Felicia
Buying all of them, what can I say?!
Nicolo Yu
I can't believe it's been ten years since Scott Pilgrim was published and at least five since I discovered Bryan Lee O'Malley's truly original concept.

I've started rereading this series earlier today and it was just as fresh as I discovered. Scott Pilgrim was this shallow guy dating high school girls and mooching off his roommate; but one could just not help root for him. Especially when he falls for the mysterious Ramona Flowers and because now he started dating her, now has to fight her seven
Bryce Wilson
Nov 10, 2007 Bryce Wilson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adrift 20 somethings, indie rock/cult movie/videogame fans, geeks
Shelves: comics
Lovely mix of Hornbyesque Lad lit, Steven Chow style comedy, and Simon & Garfunklesque post adolescent melancholy. Worked nicely as a palate cleanser after the wrist slitter that was Into The Wild.

It's funny and imaginitave without being twee, honest without being obvious, and sweetly sad without drowning in ennui. It's a precious little book. Even if like me comics aren't quite your thing.
karly
This is so much better than the movie! The fact that the movie contained pretty much THE WHOLE FREAKING SCOTT PILGRIM SERIES CRAMMED INTO ONE

..I really enjoyed reading this. The transition in this book is very very very entertaining especially Scott's humor.

I just love Wallace and Scott's relationship as bffs or
brothers hahaha especially the time when they first met!!

The movie is awesome and action-packed and amazing I'm really a fan of it! But it will never ever ever surpass the feel of readin
tee
I didn't like it (^_^).

Tryston
This book has everything. Love, hate, battles, comedy, and music. That's not even half of it! If your in to comic books, or not like me, this is a really good one for you. Scott Pilgrim is really in a pickle when he sees a girl that is really hot in his view. But he is already dating a high schoolers named Knives. And he is also 22. And there's this part where his band, yeah he's in a band and how awesome is that, is in the ATBB (Annual Toronto Battle of the Bands) or something like that. Anyway ...more
Zeta_comics
To be honest, I expected more. Or different. But it has its moments.

The drawing is OK, however the character design is very flawed: most girls look alike except for weird hairdos and sometimes characters don't look like themselves.

The narrative was better than the story, the latter bugged me sometimes. I don't know if his awesomeness is meant to be ironic, but in this first volume Scott Pilgram is an asshole. At first I thought "what's the point of dating a 17 year old if it's gonna be like that
Manny
(DISTANCE SHOT. MANNY is typing on his laptop)

MANNY: (typing) It's EXACTLY the same as the first half of the movie Scott Pilgrim Versus The World. Just uncannily like. Except that it isn't as well-drawn or funny.

(NEW ANGLE. More typing)

MANNY: (typing) To be honest, I feel a little ripped-off. I know that's completely illogical since the book came first, and I should be, you know, like praising its originality and wit, without which the movie would never have been. But all the same.

(CLOSE-UP. MA
Carmen
Jul 25, 2014 Carmen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
I don't even like graphic novels, but these are amazing. They make me happy for some reason.
Dark Faerie Tales
The Review:

I saw Scott Pilgrim vs. The World a couple nights ago, and it’s probably one of the best movies I’ll see in 2010. It’s based on the indie comic of the same name, which I’ve yet to read, but surely will now that I’ve seen the movie. Scott Pilgrim, played brilliantly by Michael Cera, is a member of the band Sex Bob-omb. Scott is getting over a bad breakup when he meets the girl of his dreams. The problem is Scott is already spoken for. Well, that and to get the girl of his dreams he mus
Michal
Not really sure. Perhaps I'm just not cool enough to enjoy this book, as it wasn't anything great to me. I can imagine other people liking it, though, even if I may look down upon them because of that.

First of all, the story was rather dull. I'm not against love stories, but to make them interesting, you should firstly make me care about the characters. Unfortunately, I didn't, they were all those people that spend their lives on being cool - maybe we didn't have any common ground. Well, I've k
Jon
By far one of the best mangas ever, Scott Pilgrim is a fantastic read. I saw the movie before reading this manga and I gotta say I love both equally. Scott Pilgrim is filled with video game refrences that will make nerds laugh like crazy. O'Malley created a hilarious manga that kept me turning page after page and then it was over. I really wish this was longer because this manga just zoomed by. Before reading Scott Pilgrim I had never ever read a manga and never even planned to. Scott Pilgrim re ...more
Cory
The beginning was great. I loved Knives, Wallace, Kim, and Young Neill. Then came Ramona. That's when Scott started acting like a douchebag. I like Scott, I like Ramona, but I don't like Scott and Ramona. The climax was also very weak. Hipster Demon Girls that throw fireballs? Seriously? And Sex Bob-Omb is able to defeat them? I know it's a comic book but come on.

I didn't mind the art because it fit the tone of the comic. I didn't even mind the random video game references. But Scott just gets r
Mon
You know how sometimes independent-$300-budget films can be funnier than big time Hollywood-explosions-authentic-costumes-and-Will-Ferrell-blockbuster? Just like MS paint can sometimes be more straightforward and hilarious than well drawn Adobe vector art (e.g. Natelie Dee, Hyperbole and a Half, various images on 4chan). Similarly, Byran Lee O'Malley's simplistic, charming style echoes those silly 80s anime where everything goes out of hand with crazy gravity-defying epicness. It's almost exactl ...more
Sophie (The Uneducated Reader) Aylmore
OK. I was not expecting to enjoy this as much as I did. I'm completely hooked, I'm going straight to Volume 2 and I'm mad I didn't get the rest of the volumes out of the library.
Danielle
This was a cute volume featuring Scott Pilgrim, a 23 year old romantically challenged amateur band member and his rag-tag group of friends, aimed at a teenage and 20-something crowd. I liked the panel layout - easy to follow, just the right amount of action in each, and effective use of humourous pacing. I also really like the dialogue between characters; their conversations sound like the half insulting, half loving ones that are typical in close friendships.

The story opens with the reader, al
Cathy
Maybe I'm too old to totally appreciate this. I'm definitely not cool enough. But by the end I was getting into it, after a bit of a slow start. I certainly felt for his crush on Ramona right from the beginning, she seems like a cool chick. I like the way that she's drawn, no typical big boobed, wasp waisted comic book woman this time, she looks like a real girl that a real guy would crush on. And she has strong legs to go with her skates, that was cool too. But more than her looks, I liked her ...more
Emma
Twenty-three year old Scott Pilgrim’s life is pretty awesome. He lives in Toronto with his roommate, Wallace Wells, and he’s currently in-between jobs. Scott spends his time playing bass in his band, shopping at goodwill, playing video games and listening to music. Scott is also dating Knives Chau, who is only seventeen. Things become complicated when he meets Ramona Flowers, who is literally the girl of his dreams. Cool and mysterious, Ramona is the opposite of Knives, and Scott can’t stay away ...more
Sam Quixote
I hate hipsters. Standing around being quirky for the sake of being quirky, behaving in an overly twee manner and trading on empty conversation, superficial gestures, and generally believing being their affected version of cool makes them better than society? Oh... but I will contain my rage for Scott Pilgrim.

You see Scott Pilgrim is the hipster's comic book. Scott is a hipster, all his friends are hipsters, the girl he's started seeing is a hipster. They buy their clothes at Good Will, they're
Lauren (Northern Plunder)
This review was first posted on Northern Plunder, if you want to see more reviews please click here.

I spent a lot of time deciding whether I would review the Scott Pilgrim series and finally decided to take a shot at it, unfortunately I'm pretty sure they'll all end up as mini-reviews as not only are they short, they're also graphic novels so a lot of the story-telling is down to the art. As someone who has watched the movie at least five times I figured it was about time to read the books too a
Ash
I was lucky enough to spot this up for review on Netgalley in all of its newly colored glory. Fifteen pages into this first volume of Scott Pilgrim and I was giggling. Pure-illustrated-ridiculousness.

I'll admit that the art style isn't a type that I would normally have picked up on my own, but there had been so much interest generated through the graphic novels as well as the movie that was made based off the afore-mentioned graphic novels I had to give it a shot.

Being a total and complete nerd
Skyler
Once again, my good friend kept insisting (in spite of my reluctance) that I would love this, and sure enough, I do. I began reading it on a whim, then polished it off in one sitting.

Scott is a pretty typical early 20's "cool kid"--his fellow band members give him flak for his high-school girlfriend, he has a really hip gay roommate, and he hangs out a lot. One day, he notices a new girl flitting in and out of his life, and as he pursues her, his world starts to change.

Capturing some of the best
Lisa
4 and a half stars

I loved this! It was great to read this after being such a fan of the movie. It's pretty much exactly the same as the movie, more or less. Which is great.

I love the whole idea of this graphic novel. I adore the characters to the max and I think the art/illustration is brilliant. I'm also in love with the Canadian setting, being a proud Canadian.

My favourite character is probably a tie between Ramona Flowers and Kim Pine but I also love Wallace and Young Neil.

I loved the fact
Lina
For those of you that have not seen my videos, I love Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. I thought it was a fun, entertaining movie that perfectly captured the spirit of comic books and video games. So once I discovered that it was a comic, of course, I had to buy it.

The first book in the series is Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life. I shall, rip the synopsis from Amazon so I can get straight to the fan-girling without guilt.

Scott Pilgrim is 23 years old, lives in a cold, unnamed Canadian town, pl
Kittykat 5 82 Nov 20, 2014 07:25AM
Pritzker Summer R...: My graphic novel reading over the summer 1 1 Aug 20, 2013 10:53PM
Pritzker Summer R...: Comic Book Review 1 4 Aug 20, 2013 04:19PM
BYU-Adolescent Li...: Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life 1 2 Jun 14, 2013 09:32PM
BYU-Adolescent Li...: Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life by Bryan Lee O'Malley 1 4 May 16, 2013 08:32PM
Class of 2013: book review 3 7 Mar 27, 2013 10:47PM
GNs similar to Scott Pilgrim 3 85 Jan 02, 2013 09:29AM
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 7: Paper Dolls (Y: The Last Man, #7)
  • Dr. Horrible and Other Horrible Stories
  • The Complete Essex County
  • Kick-Ass
  • Chew, Vol. 2: International Flavor
  • Fables, Vol. 11: War and Pieces (Fables, #11)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Wolves at the Gate (Season 8, #3)
  • The Guild (The Guild, #1)
  • Runaways, Vol. 8: Dead End Kids (Runaways, #8)
  • Azumanga Daioh: The Omnibus
  • I Kill Giants
  • Demo: The Collected Edition
Bryan Lee O'Malley is a Canadian cartoonist. His first original graphic novel was Lost at Sea (2003), and he is currently working on (and best-known for) the six-volume Scott Pilgrim series (2004 to present). All of his graphic novels thus far have been published by Portland, Oregon-based Oni Press. He is also a songwriter and musician (as Kupek and formerly in several short-lived Toronto bands).
More about Bryan Lee O'Malley...
Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World (Scott Pilgrim, #2) Scott Pilgrim's Finest Hour (Scott Pilgrim, #6) Scott Pilgrim Gets It Together (Scott Pilgrim, #4) Scott Pilgrim & the Infinite Sadness (Scott Pilgrim, #3) Scott Pilgrim Vs. the Universe (Scott Pilgrim, #5)

“this song is for the guy who keeps yelling from the balcony, and it's called 'we hate you, please die.” 215 likes
“What kind of tea do you want?"
"There´s more than one kind of tea?...What do you have?"
"Let´s see... Blueberry, Raspberry, Ginseng, Sleepytime, Green Tea, Green Tea with Lemon, Green Tea with Lemon and Honey, Liver Disaster, Ginger with Honey, Ginger Without Honey, Vanilla Almond, White Truffle Coconut, Chamomile, Blueberry Chamomile, Decaf Vanilla Walnut, Constant Comment and Earl Grey."
-"I.. Uh...What are you having?... Did you make some of those up?”
153 likes