Start by marking “Art at the Speed of Life: motivation + inspiration for making mixed-media art every day” as Want to Read:

Need high-energy inspiration when your life gets crazy and your art keeps getting pushed to the back burner? Offering terrific mixed-media art projects, as well as tips for getting organized and inspired, Art at the Speed of Life is a treasure chest of ideas for the artist whose creative goals sometimes get stymied by the frantic pace of modern life. Author and mixed-media ...more
Published February 15th 2011 by Interweave Press

To ask other readers questions about Art at the Speed of Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Art at the Speed of Life

Chris
The best thing about this book is all the detailed information about making layered backgrounds for mixed media. Unfortunately, it also made me realize that I am probably not patient enough to make those sorts of backgrounds. Oh well. I started to skim about halfway through when I found myself nodding off.
Erin
Sep 01, 2012 Erin rated it liked it
This book starts out with a great premise, and very inspirational words from the author and various artists. I like the handmade journal project that continues through the book, and I liked many of the projects included in the book. However, I found the instructions and photographs to be a bit lacking- they needed more detail to really explain the steps involved. I felt there were omissions in the explanations of these techniques that would be new to anyone who would potentially enjoy this book. ...more
Rikelle
Mar 20, 2011 Rikelle rated it it was amazing
Great book. Can't wait to try some of the projects. Filled with lots of eye and soul candy.
liberal sprinkles
This book is filled with ideas, artists' thoughts and inspiration. I like the tips on maximizing the time you have to create art, especially the one on working on multiple backgrounds at the same time. So easy, now why didn't I think of that? Many of the suggestions are, like this one, easily realizable and practical.

Pam Carriker and her guest artists also share interesting techniques, nothing very new but all well-executed and explained. I did learn new techniques on making papier-mache dress
Cara
May 29, 2011 Cara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yarn-or-crafts
Birthday present! This is my current eye/brain/idea candy. I <3 this book. It makes me want to make art messes all the time, and it makes me feel like I'd totally be awesome at it. It's also trying to make me feel like I can (as in, have time) and actually do it, but it hasn't quite gotten that far yet. I did buy paint, though. :)

...

Loved this book! It's great bedtime reading, I loved starting at the projects and learning exactly how they were done, and it helped me start doing some collage.
Deborah
Feb 24, 2013 Deborah rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, arts
I love all the pictures and projects. I was very anxious to try the ten-minute journal. I am not familiar with watercolor paper, and I didn't know which weight of paper to buy and the book suggest a weight(s). I purchased what I thought was a thinner/lighter weight. When I went to fold it multiple times I had problems and paper's folds became too thick, and I couldn't fold it. I placed a sack of flour on the fold to help fold the the paper but eventually, I gave up and I scored the paper along t ...more
Andrea Paterson
Oct 31, 2011 Andrea Paterson rated it it was ok
I was expecting in depth articles but got a whole book of one page, overly simplistic snippets that I didn't find very useful. The book is beautifully illustrated with contributor art projects, so there is some inspiration to be found there. However, all of the artists create such similar pieces that even that inspiration is limited. The suggested projects require a ridiculous amount of supplies even though the book features and article on minimizing your craft stash! This book was okay to brows ...more
Palma
Jul 27, 2012 Palma rated it it was ok
I would never have bought this book because I suspected that it would be like the rest of the 'mixed media' art books that mostly feature and showcase work rather that teach anything. It was gifted to me. It has a few instructions and tips but nothing that you wouldn't already find on the internet for free.
Charlou Lunsford
May 07, 2011 Charlou Lunsford rated it liked it
Shelves: art
"It is your excitement about materials, colors, and textures, your enthusiasm when you see work you like and ooh, you want to run home and do it, too. This makes you an artist."
Suzi Blu

I'm not, and I do not want to be, a mixed-media collage artist, but I found the artists stories about inspiration and motivation encouraging.

It is this simple:
1. Find little bits of time.
2. Play
Natashya KitchenPuppies
Jan 28, 2012 Natashya KitchenPuppies rated it really liked it
I picked up this book as I was inspired by the substrates or backgrounds that the author creates. There are different ideas from different artists and several step by step projects. I don't know that people would necessarily have the ingredients for each project but there is much to be inspired from nonetheless.
Kim
Aug 03, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it
Love this book - the way it's structured, the visuals, the idea sparklers - and I love that it's brought me to Carriker's blog, too, which is an extension of the book. So much to explore and discover!!
josh
May 13, 2011 josh rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: artists
Recommended to josh by: saw it on the shelf @ library
Shelves: non-fiction, how-to
I didn't care for it.... I thought it might help me to understand mixed-media & found art stuff, but it just reinforced my dislike for it. the writing wasn't very good & I can't think of anything I would call "redeeming" in it...
Nancy Noyes-ward
Feb 21, 2015 Nancy Noyes-ward rated it really liked it
I loved this book, so much so, it is now in my studio collection. It has been a great addition, our daughter took it up on a whim and created a award-winning piece for the fair. There are so many inspiring ideas. You won't be sorry to read, or like us, own this book!
Tena
Sep 10, 2011 Tena rated it liked it
Shelves: artsy
The stories are fun to read and inspirational; however, most of these artists have told their story in several books that are on the market right now as well. Not a whole lot of different, but still interesting.
Linda
Mar 02, 2011 Linda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: craft-and-art
Absolutley fabulous, love it, great projects great reading!! so glad I bought it. If you love mixed media then this book is one to add to your shelves. I couldn't put it down when it first arrived.
Gina
Oct 22, 2013 Gina rated it liked it
The best part of this was the little mini-journals. There are some good tips and ideas but a lot of the art inside didn't send me experimenting or trying out, as so many mixed-media books don't.
Karen Schlosberg
Sep 09, 2013 Karen Schlosberg rated it liked it
Very inspiring but a little short on instructions. more like an outline for a more detailed project how-to.
Linda
Dec 29, 2014 Linda rated it liked it
I enjoyed the book, but I felt that it needed something more... more instructions, more pictures, and more projects. I did like the ones she included, and I can't wait to try them out.
Cheryl
Nov 23, 2015 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
This is the best "how to" book on art Journaling I've found so far. I'm trying each lesson and posting the results on my blog. paintonmywalls.blogspot.com
Cheryl Robertson
Sep 05, 2012 Cheryl Robertson rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book it was full of inspiration for the making of mixed-media art and really easy to undertsand and follow instructions
Julia
Julia rated it liked it
May 24, 2012
Lee Helbert
Lee Helbert rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2015
Hannah Jane
Hannah Jane rated it did not like it
Sep 26, 2015
Kate545
Kate545 rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2012
Barbara Abston
Barbara Abston rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2015
Steven C. Underwood
Steven C. Underwood rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2016
Donna Ruth
Donna Ruth rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2013
Melissa Zimmerman
Melissa Zimmerman rated it liked it
May 13, 2014
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2016
Joy Holder Northrop
Joy Holder Northrop rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2015
  • Creative Paint Workshop for Mixed-Media Artists: Experimental Techniques for Composition, Layering, Texture, Imagery, and Encaustic
  • Water Paper Paint: Exploring Creativity with Watercolor and Mixed Media
  • The Art Journal Workshop: Break Through, Explore, and Make it Your Own
  • Painted Pages: Fueling Creativity with Sketchbooks and Mixed Media
  • True Vision: Authentic Art Journaling
  • Unfurling, A Mixed-Media Workshop with Misty Mawn: Inspiration and Techniques for Self-Expression through Art
  • Surface Treatment Workshop: Explore 45 Mixed-Media Techniques
  • Collage Lab: Experiments, Investigations, and Exploratory Projects (Lab Series)
  • Journal Spilling: Mixed-Media Techniques for Free Expression
  • Kaleidoscope: Projects and Ideas to Spark Your Creativity
  • Creative Illustration Workshop for Mixed-Media Artists: Seeing, Sketching, Storytelling, and Using Found Materials
  • Altered Curiosities: Assemblage Techniques & Projects
  • The Collage Workbook: How to Get Started and Stay Inspired
  • Art Journal Freedom: How to Journal Creatively with Color & Composition
  • Mixed-Media Girls with Suzi Blu: Drawing, Painting, and Fanciful Adornments from Start to Finish
  • Inner Excavation: Exploring Your Self Through Photography, Poetry and Mixed Media
  • Brave Intuitive Painting-Let Go, Be Bold, Unfold!: Techniques for Uncovering Your Own Unique Painting Style
  • Taking Flight: Inspiration and Techniques to Give Your Creative Spirit Wings

“If you forget to water your creative spirit every day, it can begin to shrivel just as a new plant will. Your spirit thrives when the right amount of attention is given to it and so does creativity.” 2 likes